Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2019, 18:50   #271
Senior - BHPian

Re: TRAI announces major overhaul of DTH pricing

Quote:
Originally Posted by emkay.india View Post
I've been using Sun Direct for many years and have been paying Rs.777 for 6 months. This is only used for Tamil channels. After 1st Feb, they changed their basic economy pack (to which I had subscribed) to something similar with all the Tamil channels we watch and the fee had been increased to Rs.1056 for 6 months now. That's an increase of ~Rs.50 per month which I'm absolutely fine with.
I don't see any benefit to you in terms of the channels. But a rise of Rs 50 per month just by cost restructuring? Who is getting your extra Rs 50 now?
Old 13th March 2019, 20:14   #272
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
I don't see any benefit to you in terms of the channels. But a rise of Rs 50 per month just by cost restructuring? Who is getting your extra Rs 50 now?
Well, you know who gets the extra 50 But what I tried to convey was, having gone through other posts earlier, it seemed people are paying considerably more for the channels they wanted and some of them are not a part of the free 100 or so channels. For the same set of channels we watch, if we were using other DTH providers we would've ended up paying even more.
Old 14th March 2019, 16:34   #273
Senior - BHPian

Selected the channels we want on Tata sky. Now we are saving Rs 300 a month from our earlier plan
Old 14th March 2019, 16:52   #274
BANNED

I was on the Mega Plan - Annual on TataSky. It is no more there. One can choose packages on a group or individual basis, and renew from month to month. I am planning to put in three months worth. They do suggest packages on your usage.
Old 16th March 2019, 10:09   #275
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Getting tired of Hathway's service, planning to move to DTH.

Anyone using Sun Direct, please respond:

Planning to get a Sun Direct DTH connection. The initial bouquet to be chosen is restricted to one offered by Sun and valid for a month.
However, from next month onwards can I choose only broadcaster bouquets and not opt for any of the Sun bouquets or is it mandatory to have at least one Sun bouquet ?

Last edited by NPV : 16th March 2019 at 10:12.
Old 16th March 2019, 15:51   #276
Senior - BHPian

I am a subscriber of Sun Direct, my earlier subscription of Rs.280 pack was changed to Rs.420 without my consent. I am still trying to figure out the Ala-Carte option to select my choice of channels in Tamil, Telugu and Kannada. I am educating my parents to watch their favorite programs on Firestick.
Old 17th March 2019, 13:24   #277
BHPian

I have a query friends. I am subscribed to the annual plan till september. Tata sky guys say that i will lose my money if i now subscribe to the new plan as per TRAi ruling. The pack is Platinum HD. One of my friends who changed over did not lose his money. I am apprehensive...Can anyone add value??
Old 18th March 2019, 13:28   #278
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SX4LOVER View Post
I have a query friends. I am subscribed to the annual plan till september. Tata sky guys say that i will lose my money if i now subscribe to the new plan as per TRAi ruling. The pack is Platinum HD. One of my friends who changed over did not lose his money. I am apprehensive...Can anyone add value??

I don't think that is true. I am not able to locate it now, but there is a FAQ link of TRAI website which clarifies the position of long term recharge subscribers.
Old 18th March 2019, 15:41   #279
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SX4LOVER View Post
I have a query friends. I am subscribed to the annual plan till september. Tata sky guys say that i will lose my money if i now subscribe to the new plan as per TRAi ruling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
I don't think that is true. I am not able to locate it now, but there is a FAQ link of TRAI website which clarifies the position of long term recharge subscribers.
The below mentioned post has the details.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadge...ml#post4539148 (TRAI announces major overhaul of DTH pricing)
Old 18th March 2019, 16:34   #280
BHPian

A slightly unrelated topic:

With the new price regime I don't see any real price difference between DTH operators. My Dad has a Videocon D2H connection and I have a Tata Sky connection and both of us now have similar similar packages and now similar monthly rates. He earlier used to pay peanuts for his basic plan and didn't mind the picture quality. He is now talking about reviving an old Airtel DTH connection as the prices would be about same and he would get better quality.

I feel in the long run players like Videocon and DishTV will lose customers and die off or quality players like Tata Sky and Airtel will bleed and die. Am not sure which could happen.
Old 18th March 2019, 18:12   #281
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Just moved from Hathway cable to Sun Direct DTH.

Quality of channel reception is excellent. The initial "free" package for one month doesn't have the sports HD channels, so subscribed to:
Sony India Platinum HD 90 (A) - 16 channels
Only issue is that 3 of the channels (Sony Max 2 HD, Sony Sab, Sony Ten 3 HD) part of this bouquet aren't available for selection on Sun Direct! Sun direct customer service says these channels are not offered by them

Star's English, Sports and English + Sports (both SD and HD) bouquets aren't available for subscription on Sun Direct, so had to go the A La Carte way for now and get the 4 sports HD channels.

For now we have the channels that we need but just wondering if there is a way to complain to TRAI ? Have already complained to Sun Direct and they called back to say it has been "escalated".

Last edited by NPV : 18th March 2019 at 18:14.
Old 18th March 2019, 19:45   #282
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
I am a subscriber of Sun Direct, my earlier subscription of Rs.280 pack was changed to Rs.420 without my consent. I am still trying to figure out the Ala-Carte option to select my choice of channels in Tamil, Telugu and Kannada. I am educating my parents to watch their favorite programs on Firestick.
Well this was the reason I said earlier that I'm okay with the increase of Rs.50 per month. Many subscribers' plan in Sun Direct and other DTH have been changed to considerably higher charge than earlier. However I'm still trying to find how to select the first 100 free channels. For now, they are selected by default by Sun Direct.
Old 20th March 2019, 08:57   #283
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
On a saner note, I too was thinking of shifting to DTH if the cable operator started playing tricks. Thankfully, he has agreed to my demand of giving only the channels chosen by me even in the FTA pack. That has provided me the option of limiting my total selection to less than 100 channels.
Which cable operator is this? My cable operator has cut off all channels since yesterday (Hathway, of course!)
Old 20th March 2019, 09:04   #284
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
Which cable operator is this? My cable operator has cut off all channels since yesterday
I am with DEN at one place and IN Cable at another. Both have been cooperative enough.
Quote:
(Hathway, of course!)
At the rate they are cutting off channels, they better think of altering their name to Hackway!
Old 20th March 2019, 11:54   #285
BANNED

My TataSky was ending. I have a two TV Connection (both HD). Fortunately the package they suggested turned out to be almost what I had. I had to switch on Republic and couple of others (all free) manually.

The only thing I have lost is AajTak (Normal) but the HD (Hindi) is there. So no issues.

Most Viewed