Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2019, 17:01   #301
BHPian

In my case I had selected my Dishtv channel pack on 29-Mar, but that was never implemented as the dish was not realigned. Once the dish was aligned, I was automatically put back on some pack which ended up being Rs 150 more than the current. Yesterday sat through to check which channels were missing and there were quite a few. Whats more some sports channels have a lockin period.
Seems like we have to wait for Jio revolution or stick with Amazon & Netflix.
Old 12th June 2019, 11:27   #302
BHPian

Re: TRAI announces major overhaul of DTH pricing

Trai finally accepts that the channel prices have gone up. Link
Link 2
Apparently they are working on "a consultation paper" to reduce the tariffs now. In plain English I think they mean "we're working ass backwards to ensure the tarrif plans work the way they ought to have from the beginning." Glad to see something is finally happening here although I don't have my fingers crossed.
Old 12th June 2019, 12:27   #303
Senior - BHPian

TRAI should enforce strict regulations to charge on per channel basis and stop "package" concept. I had two Sun Direct connections previously, retained only one for my daughter after the prices were revised.

Last edited by deehunk : 12th June 2019 at 12:33.
Old 12th June 2019, 21:44   #304
BHPian

Team, Isn't the new structure prepaid with effective from 1st Feb?

I am asking this because I was out of station from Jan and after the new structure have some, the local cable operator has hiked the monthly payment without my consent by adding some pay channels which i never want or watched. Now the total bill have come around Rs1800 for the last few months and I refused to pay. They are threatening with legal action. Earlier I was paying monthly bill, similiar to postpaid.
Old 30th July 2019, 09:34   #305
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iyencar View Post
Trai finally accepts that the channel prices have gone up. Link
Link 2
Apparently they are working on "a consultation paper" to reduce the tariffs now. In plain English I think they mean "we're working ass backwards to ensure the tarrif plans work the way they ought to have from the beginning." Glad to see something is finally happening here although I don't have my fingers crossed.
The intention of this entire exercise was to make sure that cable TV subscribers paid the same as the DTH subscribers.

Now my Hathway provider has started a new initiative. He manipulates the signal so it shows a blank screen or a bad picture; then claims a new STB will solve the problem! And guess what? It is a HD box...
Old 30th July 2019, 09:43   #306
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post

Now my Hathway provider has started a new initiative. He manipulates the signal so it shows a blank screen or a bad picture; then claims a new STB will solve the problem! And guess what? It is a HD box...
Dish isn't much better - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadge...ml#post4621195 (Direct-To-Home television in India. Update DTH UHD (4K) now available)
Old 30th July 2019, 09:51   #307
BHPian

I know those games too, as I've seen my parents willingly get conned by the Dish TV conmen after weeks of haggling with their customer service, local reps and technicians. I would say my parents were exhausted fighting the system and gave up.
Old 13th August 2019, 10:39   #308
BANNED

Is there a place where I can find a list of channels included under DishTV's Anandam Free 150 channels - I checked here - https://www.dishtv.in/App_Documents/...ets-of-FTA.pdf but this list doesn't seem current - some channels don't appear anywhere on my dish - say for e.g. mangalam tv. Also where can I find Channel Numbers corresponding to Channel Names for Dish?
Old 17th August 2019, 09:12   #309
Senior - BHPian

TRAI announces major overhaul of DTH pricing

And its been 2 months now without Tata Sky! With no problem whatsoever! Long story short, used to subscribe to annual packs from Tata Sky and had been doing it for the last 8 years since my apartment has a common Tata Sky dish. When the new regulations kicked in, I stopped the annual subscription and figured I will try monthly and did the same for about 5-6 months. And then I realised in the last 1 year, I have added on Hot star, Amazon prime, Netflix and even sun Nxt. And the only thing I usually see on TV on a weekend is F1. Movies were usually from prime or Netflix.
So I just stopped Tata Sky from June this year, switched to a faster broad band- ACT which also offered a discount on my Netflix plan, and my 9 year old Sony LCD is now permanently connected thru Apple TV and we just switch between apps.
My 7 year old son is happy watching some cartoons in Netflix, wifey too is hooked on to Netflix. Im happy to catch the occasional Big Bang theory and friends episodes in Hot star and watching ad-free F1 during the weekends!

Last edited by motorworks : 17th August 2019 at 09:13.
Old 17th August 2019, 12:50   #310
Distinguished - BHPian

I am using live streaming apps like Oreo TV which shows up almost all channels on air. I am a happy 'ex' D2H customer.
Old 19th August 2019, 09:42   #311
BHPian

I am trying a way to get my Airtel Tv on Amazon Firestick. If I am succesful then no need for D2H for me too.
Old 19th August 2019, 10:01   #312
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Is there a place where I can find a list of channels included under DishTV's Anandam Free 150 channels - I checked here - https://www.dishtv.in/App_Documents/...ets-of-FTA.pdf but this list doesn't seem current - some channels don't appear anywhere on my dish - say for e.g. mangalam tv. Also where can I find Channel Numbers corresponding to Channel Names for Dish?

Just figured out that this list is current. But apparently Dish has 2 different alignments - a South Indian Alignment & a North Indian Alignment. If you do South Indian Alignment, some North Indian Channels won't even appear on the list in your TV & the vice versa. So Dish just assumed that there will nobody who could possibly want all North Indian and all South Indian channels.
Old 6th September 2019, 01:15   #313
JLS
BHPian

Jio Fiber plans announced - any idea how DTH pricing will work?

Friends,

Do any of you have idea how Jio Fiber will work for TV watching purpose?
It seems from their plans that their Contents (Video and TV) both are bundled if annual subscription plan is bought. Is my interpretation too optimistic?
Any insights or extra information will be helpful.
I am planning to move away from Airtel since DTH overhaul pricing fiasco.

Thanks
JLS

Last edited by JLS : 6th September 2019 at 01:17.
Old 6th September 2019, 11:00   #314
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Jio Fiber plans announced - any idea how DTH pricing will work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS View Post
Friends,

Do any of you have idea how Jio Fiber will work for TV watching purpose?
It seems from their plans that their Contents (Video and TV) both are bundled if annual subscription plan is bought. Is my interpretation too optimistic?
Any insights or extra information will be helpful.
I am planning to move away from Airtel since DTH overhaul pricing fiasco.
As per my understanding, if you take up annual subscription of any plan, (say 699*12= 8388), Jio will provide you data services Plus a set top box plus a bluetooth speaker for free. The data service & the set top box should suffice for TV watching.
I am not sure if the router/ gateway is to be paid separately for or not. Others may educate us on the matter.

Last edited by saket77 : 6th September 2019 at 11:28.
Old 6th September 2019, 11:15   #315
BHPian

Received the JioFiber pdf on Whatsapp.
Attaching the plan screenshotTRAI announces major overhaul of DTH pricing-imageuploadedbyteambhp1567748701.422549.jpg

Most Viewed