Team-BHP - A Device that can control all my gadgets / Universal Remote Control
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Gadgets, Computers & Software (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/)
-   -   A Device that can control all my gadgets / Universal Remote Control (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/20640-device-can-control-all-my-gadgets-universal-remote-control.html)

Hey guys,, am in a mid of finishing up my room...
where its like a duplex.. my issue is
I have a home theatre in my room, 2 speakers in dressing room and bose multilmedia setup in music room and one speaker in bathroom
Now these are the gadgets that i will be using
1) Projector- Sharp
2) I pod
3) World space radio
4) Laptop
Now I want to control the use of speakers, am looking for a solution where i can control which room speaker should be working with particular gadget...
TILL now wt I have thought of is to give a toggle switch on/off but then how would i make a junction where i can add all inputs...
Regards
Wadhwa Ajay

Not too sure but dd you check the universal remote commander by Sony?

Here's some info:

Touchpad LCD one

RM-AV2500T allows centralised control of up to 12 components from a single remote commander
Easy-to-operate LCD touch control panel with blue back-light. Once a component has been selected, the screen only displays the keys needed to operate the selected component
Learning function for programming remote control signals of non-preset components
Pre-programmed code for more than 40 brands
Clock and timer function. 12 timer macros are available for control (for example the on/off or record function)
Controls up to 12 components, such as: TV, VCR, DVD, SAT, AMP, CD, MD / DAT, Tuner, DSP (Digital Sound Processor) STB (Set Top Box), Cable
Non-volatile memory preserves your customised settings at all times, even while changing batteries
New shape fits comfortably in the hand on the leg
Compatible with most major brands
Enables Teletext function

Amazon.co.uk: Sony RM-AV2500T Universal Touch Screen Remote: Electronics & Photo

p.s. Similar to this one was shown in the movie Hitch

Non LCD one

• One-touch control
• Controls 8 components
• Easy PC setup • Pre-programmed codes
• Illuminated buttons
• Learning function

Buy the Sony Universal Remote Commander (RM-AX1400) and other Video Remote Controls at circuitcity.com

Also check this site from Sony USA

SonyStyle.com | Remotes

hope this helps :)

seems promising am visiting dubai next month,,, lets see if i can find out there...
thnx
W.A

And here's another neat one from Philips if you're a football (and beer) fan. Comes with a handy bottle opener attached - check it out:

Philips Consumer Electronics News Center - Philips FIFA World Cup™ universal remote provides fun-filled entertainment for football fans

but boss, wt should i use to contol speakers....

Quote:

Originally Posted by a4_attitude (Post 358264)
A Device that can control all my gadgets

:Shockked:
Perhaps we should all try to use the funny looking device inside our heads that god has given us.

Why is it shocking Steeroid & whats with the Sarcastic comment?

Though I dont want such a big thing but I would be really happy if I have a single remote to control for my TV, DVD player & home audio rather than jugling with three.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Technocrat (Post 358319)
Why is it shocking Steeroid & whats with the Sarcastic comment?

I didnt realize that jest could be mistaken for sarcasm. That was not the intention if it were so taken.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steeroid (Post 358315)
Perhaps we should all try to use the funny looking device inside our heads that god has given us.

I also didnt get you.... anywys am sure u can helpout sourcing such device in dubai, if not thn which place in dubai is best for electronics???

Quote:

Originally Posted by a4_attitude (Post 358264)
A Device that can control all my gadgets

There's one & it's called a WIFE :p Since I believe you're getting one soon I think this will be taken care of!!!

Quote:

There's one & it's called a WIFE :p Since I believe you're getting one soon I think this will be taken care of!!!
same from me,Rags!
Once WIFE is around,there are not many things which u want to turn on.
So best option is to get married and hand over all the remotes to her:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by iraghava (Post 358431)

lol: Good one, Ishan! I have one coming up soon so maybe I can save some money on such a gadget.

On a more serious note, I don't think a single Universal Remote Commander can control all the stuff you've mentioned. About music everywhere, I can offer some (wild) suggestions. Dunno much about video, though now there are a lot of WiFi video-streaming products in the market.

a)There is a solution called sonos (Sonos Digital Music System to stream digital music wirelessly from PC to any speakers in your home) that will let you install speakers all around your house, stream music to them by WiFi and control them all with a single commander.

b) If you get an Apple Airport Express, you can hook up a hifi/amplified speakers to it. The Airport express can be in your bedroom, and your lappie in your study downstairs. You can stream Music to the speakers connected to the AAExpress from your laptop through iTunes. Though AAExpress answers only to iTunes' command, there is some free software (I've seen its reviews) that lets you hook it up to WMP also. But your laptop needs to be at hand's length and it needs to have wifi, as the lappie will be your commander/control station.

c) Taking sl no. 'b' a bit further, you can control your lappie remotely (over the internet) with a Windows Mobile PDA/Phone if you have Logmein (www.logmein.com -- even the free version will do) installed on your Lappie/Desktop when it is connected to the internet. I do this in my place. But I don't yet have an Apple Airport Express. There are other software (usually paid for) available that lets you do this over wifi (but your lappie/Desktop and your WiMoPDA/Phone should be wifi enabled). Since my desktop (my media server) is connected to the net all the time with an unlimited connection, I prefer the internet way (and I don't need to buy the WiFi controller SW either)

d) Another thing that I do. I stream tunes directly from my Lappie to my Windows PPC 2003 PDA Phone over WiFi. I have 2 sets of powered speakers in 2 different rooms in my house. I can just connect my PDA to the speakers in whichever room I am in, and play the tunes streamed from my Lappie. Very limited range though. And this needs a Wireless Router or Access Point.

What you basically need is a wireless device to which all your surces of music can be connected (Lappie, Cd player, Worldspace Radio etc), and wireless receivers a la Airport Express in various places in your house (with powered speakers connected to them), and you're in business. Sonos (not available in India, though) could be a great solution.
A Slingbox is another similar solution.

Another solution is ORB - MyCast your digital media with Orb 2.0 remote pc access software, but that needs your speakers to be connected to the net through some kind of interface. If you can move a Lappie/PDA around (to connect to the speakers, with the lappie/PDA connected to the 'net), and you have another machine acting as media server (this is getting too complicated), and if you have WiFi setup at home, that will work. [On second thoughts, forget this].

I went through this stage a while back, and after a lot of fiddling around with this and that, I realized that moving around with an iPod and audiophile quality earplugs was the greatest solution for locationfree music :-)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steeroid (Post 358315)

My wife has such a device. She calls it various names depending on her mood. You guys know the device as "Navin". However of late she has begun to ask my son instead.

However if anyone of you can come up with a device that can control my wife.....

Hey, did you watch that movie named CLICK starring Adam Sandler???
If you haven't watch it now.

You'll be very happy with your life as it is of now!!! And will soon hate remote controls!! :D

Quote:

Quote:

same from me,Rags!
Once WIFE is around,there are not many things which u want to turn on.
So best option is to get married and hand over all the remotes to her
Quote:

My wife has such a device. She calls it various names depending on her mood. You guys know the device as "Navin". However of late she has begun to ask my son instead.

However if anyone of you can come up with a device that can control my wife.....
lol: lol:

well dont know much about such gadgets but the sony universal remote looks good so do check it out.!

cheers
faithless