Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2019, 23:16   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Spotify can now be officially accessed in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
I use Spotify more for their podcast catalog than music. I get Wynk Music free with my Airtel postpaid plan, and have Prime Music/Video bundled with Amazon Prime. Better half watches lots of hard-to-find old video content on YouTube, hence the confusion. Does YouTube Music do podcasts, as well as say Spotify? If so, I can settle for slightly lower sound quality for a better all-in-one package.
YT does do podcasts on some channels but it's not something I have really explored. Spotify is the king unfortunately with a big hole in their catalog.

So as an overall solution for your wife and yourself I'd say YT Premium is a better fit. They offer a free trial for 30 days to assess whether it meets your requirements.
Old 1st December 2019, 23:51   #92
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
So as an overall solution for your wife and yourself I'd say YT Premium is a better fit. They offer a free trial for 30 days to assess whether it meets your requirements.
Thanks, their monthly family plan seems reasonable. Easier to back out of as well. I'll give it a swing.

Hopefully Spotify sort out their licensing so I can pick one provider and stay with it.
Old 15th January 2020, 09:03   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Spotify is ending its year-long dispute with Warner Music’s publishing firm.The world’s largest music streaming service said on Tuesday that it has inked a global licensing agreement with Warner Chappell.
The announcement marks the end of their litigation before the Bombay High Court, where Warner Music was seeking an injunction to prevent Spotify from using its music in India. Warner Music had claimed that Spotify “falsely asserted a statutory license” in India.
https://techcrunch.com/2020/01/14/sp...icensing-deal/

Last edited by Who_are_you : 15th January 2020 at 09:04. Reason: Formatting
Old 15th January 2020, 19:43   #94
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who_are_you View Post
I checked my Spotify India account and the Warner Bros stuff, at least the music I like, is still missing. Hope they get it online.

PS - no word about Saregama. Oh well, here's hoping this gets sorted out too.

Last edited by R2D2 : 15th January 2020 at 19:45.
Old 16th January 2020, 12:52   #95
BHPian

Quote:
I checked my Spotify India account and the Warner Bros stuff, at least the music I like, is still missing. too.
Dispute has been settled only with Warner Chappell and not the parent company which has separate catalogue of artists. Thus artists like Linkin Park etc continue to be missing from Spotify. Although hopefully the same should also be settled sooner or later.
Old 16th January 2020, 16:32   #96
BHPian

Due to some inexplicable reason I am getting all Telugu songs in my daily playlists and recommendations. I understand that the app learns from my usage, but I do not listen to any Telugu songs at all. And no, I don't have Telugu selected as one of the languages for music in settings.

Is there a way to reset my statistics so that I can start over?

Last edited by civic-sense : 16th January 2020 at 16:35.
Old 17th January 2020, 12:26   #97
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamer012 View Post
Dispute has been settled only with Warner Chappell and not the parent company which has separate catalogue of artists. Thus artists like Linkin Park etc continue to be missing from Spotify. Although hopefully the same should also be settled sooner or later.
Warner Chappell is the licensing arm of Warner Bros so a deal with them should hopefully open the doors to other sub-labels.

Anyway, there's no change in the catalog so far, I have been searching for a few albums from rock artists like Ambrosia & Chicago.
Old 17th January 2020, 12:35   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Warner Chappell is the licensing arm of Warner Bros so a deal with them should hopefully open the doors to other sub-labels.

Anyway, there's no change in the catalog so far, I have been searching for a few albums from rock artists like Ambrosia & Chicago.

Well hope you are right and we all are winners in the end however as per the article I read, both had different set of catalog.

https://gadgets.ndtv.com/entertainme...akamai-rum=off

Spotify can now be officially accessed in India-imageuploadedbyteambhp1579244684.620282.jpg
Old 12th April 2020, 16:16   #99
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamer012 View Post
Well hope you are right and we all are winners in the end however as per the article I read, both had different set of catalog.
ALL RESOLVED!

https://techcrunch.com/2020/04/01/sp...mess-in-india/

I can see Iron Maiden, Linkin Park etc on the App now!
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2020, 15:03   #100
Team-BHP Support

This is Huge.... Joe Rogan switches from Youtube to Spotify. Damn, does that mean I have to get a Spotify account now?

The podcaster's audio is now worth more than any musician in world history.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/25/o...y-podcast.html

This obviously happened because Youtube tried to demonetize his videos willy niily, and their attempt to promote MSM videos over his.

Last edited by Samurai : 26th May 2020 at 15:22.
Samurai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th May 2020, 14:58   #101
Team-BHP Support

A very interesting analysis of digital platforms and impact of the biggest the podcaster leaving Youtube for Spotify. The analysis is by Tim Pool who has 262K subscribers and hopes to be Joe Rogan someday.

Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2020, 19:11   #102
BHPian

Whenever I use my mobile network for Spotify it just says "No Internet Connection", once connected to the wifi it's back like a charm. Has anyone faced this issue? Considering many users following this thread have been using Spotify for some time now, any suggestions as to how to get it working on the mobile network. It's too frustrating when on road trip, and I just can't use it.
Old 22nd June 2020, 13:34   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nifty.Nishy View Post
Whenever I use my mobile network for Spotify it just says "No Internet Connection", once connected to the wifi it's back like a charm. Has anyone faced this issue? Considering many users following this thread have been using Spotify for some time now, any suggestions as to how to get it working on the mobile network. It's too frustrating when on road trip, and I just can't use it.
What phone are you using? Have you tried giving mobile data access to your Spotify App individually? In iPhone, you can either enable or disable mobile data to apps individually.
Old 23rd June 2020, 09:39   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nifty.Nishy View Post
Been facing a similar issue with Spotify. On the drive back from Office, it keeps saying 'no internet connection' yet data seems to be working perfectly fine on all other apps including youtube, soundcloud etc. And this seems to be a daily occurence. I'm using a Nokia 8 Sirocco.
Old 19th September 2020, 20:27   #105
Distinguished - BHPian

So Spotify have changed their audio codec from Ogg Vorbis to AAC @ 320 kbps for premium accounts when played via the desktop or mobile app. However when accessed via the browser the bitrate is limited to 256kbps which is still very good considering also Apple streams AAC at this bitrate with no option to change streaming quality.

Most Viewed