Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2019, 05:26   #1
BHPian

Google cuts ties with Huawei

Google suspends some businesses with Huawei. From Android perspective, Huawei phones will lose access to security and OS updates and even play store.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKCN1SP0NB
Old 20th May 2019, 08:04   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
Google suspends some businesses with Huawei. From Android perspective, Huawei phones will lose access to security and OS updates and even play store.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKCN1SP0NB
I'm still using it. Hoping they don't pull the plug completely. Man, these politicians don't even allow us to use the phones we like.
Old 20th May 2019, 13:01   #3
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
Google suspends some businesses with Huawei.
The US is all out on Huawei. I guess they couldn't bear to see it grow exponentially. Feel sad for the P20/P30 owners, whose fate is hanging in this.

The next step for Huawei would be to create its own OS and eco-sytem, just like they have developed almost everything inside their phones. They could start with the playstore equivalent that they have within China.
Old 20th May 2019, 13:36   #4
Oxy
BHPian

I was really looking forward to the Honor 20 series phones. Need to consider other alternatives now.
Old 20th May 2019, 14:38   #5
BHPian

Oh I purchased a P30 (non pro) from US last week only. And I am really loving the phone. Youtube - I can still manage as I use amazon music these days to connect to my car bluetooth.

But google maps - this has really become a lifeline for me in Bangalore in which I check maps to see the traffic areas and take alternative routes. I don't think I can manage without google maps. . I never start my car without checking gmaps these days.

This is really sad. Hope Huawei does something and clears all the concerns with Trump. Is it the same weird Trump policies acting here or really has it got to do something with security concerns?
Old 20th May 2019, 17:01   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrol_power View Post
But google maps - this has really become a lifeline for me in Bangalore in which I check maps to see the traffic areas and take alternative routes. I don't think I can manage without google maps. . I never start my car without checking gmaps these days.
Security concern but many suspect it is due to Huwawei out competing Apple (?). I think existing phones will have apps without any issues. You might have to forget about the OS/ security updates going forward, unless Huwawei re-packages the open source version and sends it to its own phones.
Old 20th May 2019, 21:38   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Oh I purchased a P30 (non pro) from US last week only. And I am really loving the phone. Youtube - I can still manage as I use amazon music these days to connect to my car bluetooth.

This is really sad. Hope Huawei does something and clears all the concerns with Trump. Is it the same weird Trump policies acting here or really has it got to do something with security concerns?
Yeah I have a Honor View 10 and I am worried I cannot use the phone anymore. Let us see what happens. But as to your point about Huawei clearing all concerns with Trump, that will not happen for sure. He has been hellbent on destroying Huawei - who he sees as a big concern in his push against Chinese manufacturing.

And the problem now is that the Murican govt has pushed for US companies to stop providing support for Chinese corps and this is where Google is being forced to stop support to Huawei. And the first step in that is pulling support for Android etc - hence access to Play Store, updates, security patches etc.
Old 21st May 2019, 06:18   #8
Oxy
BHPian

From what I understand, this Huawei/Honor mess is only US specific. Or should people avoid buying these phones in India now as well? The upcoming Honor 20 series looks promising (launch event scheduled at 6:30 PM today).

Last edited by Oxy : 21st May 2019 at 06:22.
Old 21st May 2019, 08:14   #9
Team-BHP Support

Re: Google cuts ties with Huawei

Google cuts ties with Huawei - Posts moved to a new thread.
Old 21st May 2019, 08:18   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
From what I understand, this Huawei/Honor mess is only US specific.
Many countries have had questions about Huawei's relationship with the Chinese government and the purported backdoors they installed in their products to facilitate snooping. This is an old story that pre-dates Trump.

So, even though all the above is about carrier gear, the broader issues of Huawei's ownership and backdoors were never addressed. Things I guess came to a pass after Trump's anointment; the Huawei CFO arrest in Vancouver - for example.

Huawei knew it would end up in this spot with Google I think (2016): https://www.theverge.com/2016/6/23/1...-own-mobile-os

Also, Huawei laptops included a backdoor: https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-47800000

Edit: Huawei executive arrested in Poland for spying for China: https://www.npr.org/2019/01/11/68437...ying-for-china
Old 21st May 2019, 08:25   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Many countries have had questions about Huawei's relationship with the Chinese government and the purported backdoors they installed in their products to facilitate snooping.
This is what came up for me as soon as I saw the title and the initial posts - but your post here has so many more details. Thanks, @binand.
Quote:
But google maps - this has really become a lifeline for me in Bangalore i...don't think I can manage without google maps. . I never start my car without checking gmaps these days.
True, nothing to beat google maps & traffic status. Maps itself are not so much of a problem.
Old 21st May 2019, 09:02   #12
Senior - BHPian

US Delays Huawei Ban For 90 Days

https://www.ndtv.com/world-news/us-d...0-days-2040394
Old 21st May 2019, 09:14   #13
Team-BHP Support

I myself am using an Honor 10, very happy with the phone, in-fact it is being updated now with the latest security patch of May '19.

Will keep a closer watch and decide if my next phone should be from Huawei/Honor. Their chipset [Kirin] is pretty optimally designed as well, have faced no issues in the past almost an year.
Old 21st May 2019, 10:20   #14
BHPian

Nice motivation for Huawei for coming up with a Mobile OS version of their own. This is how you build competition! First Baidu and now....
Old 21st May 2019, 10:21   #15
Senior - BHPian

There is a mix of jealousy and security mixed in with the decisions. Problem with developing their own OS/apps will be like WeChat etc. They will be confined only to Chinese market. Samsung etc have tried creating this and may join them in an alternative. US can arm twist others and might try to impose restrictions like they are doing with Iran. Its another game being played for dominance in ultimately what will define the connected things of everything.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks