Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2019, 00:38   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: SoftPhone options in India - Virtual number for receiving SMS & OTPs

Citibank allows you to add foreign number in the accounts. So you can get OTP there. SBI, Yes bank does send OTP's to email accounts. I also have my Airtel postpaid connection which I keep active for any other OTP's.
Old 14th October 2019, 06:38   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
It would still work because no outgoing SMS is sent. Incoming is anyway free. I don't know about other countries but this technique works in the Middle East.
I'm not sure of that. See screenshot of UPA-related outgoing messages in my SMS app. I don't know under what circumstances are these sent.

SoftPhone options in India - Virtual phone number for receiving SMS & OTPs-14-october-2019-63631-am-ist.png
Old 14th October 2019, 10:12   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Reminds me of Hamlet's "The lady doth protest too much, methinks".

As others have posted, keep an IN number and remember to top up or pay the monthly bill as relevant. A couple of cousins have maintained the same numbers (both Airtel) for 15+ years in the US and Australia without any major issues, and actually manage all IN banking + digital payments on a daily basis for their aged parents.

Just a matter of getting used to it. IF you are a shippie, then get all SMS alerts moved to email as most of my Captain and Chief Engineer friends do.
How do they move SMS to email. that may work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermodynamics View Post
I am not aware of softfone, even if that exists, I would be wary of disclosing OTP to third party softwares.

The safest option is already suggested by an earlier comment. If you hold 100 rupees in Airtel-prepaid, incoming SMS remains active. Plus there is no hassle of being dependent/favor of a third party (and their nocturnal habits) to duly keep the phone charged everyday and safeguard it.

Another option, slightly expensive would be going with bare minimum international roaming packs.

So if I keep paying 100rs every 45 days, I can receive sms in USA too? The idea is to be able to receive sms OTP myself without having somebody in India keep track
Old 14th October 2019, 11:33   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
So if I keep paying 100rs every 45 days, I can receive sms in USA too? The idea is to be able to receive sms OTP myself without having somebody in India keep track
I think so, earlier they had 100 or 199 as activation charges but I guess recently they have slashed all charges. So, try Airtel prepaid and call customer care to make sure international roaming is activated. If roaming is active, there would be no charges for incoming SMS.

The other option would be to go for bare minimum international roaming packs such as ₹446 for 3 months that comes with 75 minutes outgoing to India.

Last edited by Thermodynamics : 14th October 2019 at 11:38.
Old 14th October 2019, 14:34   #20
BHPian

Okay. Here is the perspective of a Banker having put in over a decade at a leading Public Sector Bank. All Banks in India are directed to send OTPs to their customers via e-mail and SMS. Whether it is a net banking transaction done directly from your Bank account, or via a debit/credit card.

For providing SMS services, the Bank's charge a paltry sum every quarter from their customers. In your case, I would suggest keeping an Indian number abroad for all the OTPs, as these would get delivered to the inbox on phone and to the registered email ID provided to the Bank at the time of account opening.

All Banks are providing this facility to their customers and to name a few on my personal experience would be, Axis Bank, IDBI Bank, HDFC Bank, South Indian Bank, Citi Bank, American Express, Indusind Bank, etc.

Last edited by MDED : 14th October 2019 at 14:35. Reason: typo
Old 14th October 2019, 15:10   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
HDFC Bank (bank account) & American Express (credit card) both email the OTP across. You can check them out.
Add to that Kotak. The banking digital platforms are really good!
Old 14th October 2019, 21:31   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDED View Post
Okay. Here is the perspective of a Banker having put in over a decade at a leading Public Sector Bank. All Banks in India are directed to send OTPs to their customers via e-mail and SMS. Whether it is a net banking transaction done directly from your Bank account, or via a debit/credit card..
Standard chartered bank does not give me this option.

So I guess I will get a prepaid from Airtel and activate international roaming to use it only SMS incoming.
Old 15th October 2019, 12:40   #23
BHPian

Quote:
So if I keep paying 100rs every 45 days, I can receive sms in USA too?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermodynamics View Post
I think so, earlier they had 100 or 199 as activation charges but I guess recently they have slashed all charges.
I don't have specific information for Airtel but generally Vodafone and Airtel are in sync. My sister retains an Indian Vodafone number, to keep it going during her annual visits. The way her mobile balance is debited, I can say Vodafone charges Rs. 150, for that month when she puts the sim in the phone and turns it on, while in the US. I think the way it works is, if the sim latches onto any foreign network, you are considered roaming internationally and charged monthly amount. Please bear in mind, she does not make a call nor sends or receives an sms in US. So I do think you'd need to pay monthly charges.
Old 15th October 2019, 12:47   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One fallout of the OTP world has been that now almost no banks/cards/etc offer OTP to foreign account numbers or email. Its always an Indian phone number.

When you do not live in India, it means your family members have to be vigilant to catch these OTPs etc., and for USA, the time difference is a big problem.

So I was thinking about softphone number with +91 code.

I checked online and I only found BSNL wings. But most local shops are not aware, and BSNL itself may cease to exist very soon. Moreover you cannot buy it online. You have to go to India, and then have to present them with your birth certificate, proof of nursery class talent show, platelet count, blood group, brainwave scan, and what not.

Are there any other operators available in India which can offer you a softphone account. Ofcourse security is important. Having a SiM means it can be hijacked through social engineering with ease.

So what are the solutions your propose?
Worst case scenario an app which can forward all SMSs to an email account, and then you just buy data plan and keep that phone always on in India.
Why not just keep a prepaid indian number active?

Its been three years since I moved; have always kept my Airtel prepaid switched on without any problems.

It costs 99 bucks(INR) a month for international roaming.
Old 15th October 2019, 13:32   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Why not just keep a prepaid indian number active?

Its been three years since I moved; have always kept my Airtel prepaid switched on without any problems.

It costs 99 bucks(INR) a month for international roaming.
Thanks Akshay
This is a good option I think. Which operator do you use for international roaming. I may try that out when I am in India next.
Old 15th October 2019, 14:23   #26
BHPian

I have kept my Vodafone prepaid number active for more than four years in Germany. I just recharge to increase validity.
Old 15th October 2019, 18:10   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Akshay
This is a good option I think. Which operator do you use for international roaming. I may try that out when I am in India next.
If you are using a phone that supports eSIM you can consider switching to eSIM after having someone in India buy a physical SIM for you. Please check out the technicalities involved in the Physical SIM to eSIM conversion.
Old 16th October 2019, 13:24   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Akshay
I am with Airtel, and they have decent service in Australia; they piggyback on one of the largest operator here.

Last edited by akshay4587 : 16th October 2019 at 13:25.
Old 18th October 2019, 08:26   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Get a postpaid Airtel Sim from Metro city (they have different TnCs depending on where the Sim was issued). Add it to family plan of someone back home in India so your rental covers their usage and doesn't go waste. Call Airtel and activate international roaming in Pay as you go rates. Specifically ask them not to activate any plan. The reason for postpaid metro sim is it covers more countries. Rates are reasonable too, outgoing to local / India is Rs. 3 / min, Rs. 3 / SMS and Rs. 3 per mb.

I'm sure you don't need data, just use the number 2-3 times every 15 days and you should be good. My dad does this across his international visits (4-5 per year).

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
I am with Airtel, and they have decent service in Australia; they piggyback on one of the largest operator here.
+1. Rates are fixed whatever operator you latch on to. Just be careful of the data usage otherwise it is reasonable.
Old 18th October 2019, 10:02   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
SIM card solution works just fine.

I continue to use my Bangalore Airtel Pre Paid in New Zealand. It has been very rare there is a delay in receiving OTP's.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks