Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2020, 12:16   #46
BHPian

Re: SoftPhone options in India - Virtual phone number for receiving SMS & OTPs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Galaxy Note 10 works well with the windows and SMS that we get on phone arrive on the computer. The only caveat, both phone and computer need to be connected to the internet.
Using BSNL wings effortlessly on android for some time now as secondary connection. Works well internationally to recv calls over wifi so far.
I feel that its the future of phones. Using grandstream SIP app on phone and zoiper / linphone windoze 10.
Still some years to be mainstream though. But you need a stable internet connection by any medium always.
Old 18th January 2020, 23:53   #47
Senior - BHPian

Initially I used push bullet on a standby android phone permanently connected to a charger at home. Then I used a Bsnl postpaid connection plus international roaming for 199 a month, on autopay from my hdfc account,so no hassles. Aadhar linked for any future use case as well.
Old 10th July 2020, 20:25   #48

International roaming, SMS to email synch are definitely the most obvious and pragmatic choices.

But, back in late 2000s, when I was in US, the days of Magic Jack et al. and expensive VoIp and international roaming calls etc. I would wonder about a cheaper model. My research led me to this idea.

Have two servers on Asterix ( it's an open source EPABX platform), one in India, one in US. Both, connected to their respective mobile networks using those Huawei 3G dongles that supported voice calls, SMS and USSD features. You could set this up in two ways

1. Some one calls you within India on the Indian number, the Asterix server in India bridges the call over to US server which then uses its SIM, or soft phone set up to forward the call to your US number that you have pre-configured.

2. Or if you didn't want to tie up this setup with only one US number, you could set up an IVR in Asterix. If am not wrong those Reliance or Airtel prepaid calling cards that we used back then to make calls to India, used some set up similar to this.

Effectively, you are creating VoIP gateways, on both sides. But, this set-up would have been illegal according to Indian laws, back then. Don't know if they have amended the laws. But, would have been a good project for personal use and the kicks and giggles. Didn't have the time back then, though.

Last edited by ElonSkum : 10th July 2020 at 20:39.
Old 10th July 2020, 20:41   #49
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElonSkum View Post
Have two servers on Asterix ( it's an open source EPABX platform), one in India, one in US. Both, connected to their respective mobile networks using those Huawei 3G dongles that supported voice calls, SMS and USSD features. You could set this up in two ways
This is all illegal, and can land you in prison. The legality has been discussed intensively since a decade, in this thread. BTW, I am a VOIP professional.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2020, 20:56   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
This is all illegal, and can land you in prison.
Still illegal? Lucky, I never went ahead with the idea.

Quote:
The legality has been discussed intensively since a decade, in this thread.
Thanks for the link. Shall surely read it all up.

Quote:
BTW, I am a VOIP professional.
Heartening to know we have a VoIP guy among us.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks