Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2019, 13:00   #1
BHPian

The Everyday Carry Thread - What do you carry with you everyday?

Greetings fellow BHPians

This thread is supposed to be a platform to share the love for Everyday Carry (EDC). I believe all of us EDC without knowing it. For example from our early school days, one would EDC a specific set of pens/pencils and other knick knacks to school. Then in college days, depending on your stream of choice, one would EDC stuff ranging from keys to hostel room/bike etc, wallet, calculator etc. And once you join the working world be it your own business or a job you would EDC Keychain, watch, ID Card, Wallet, Card Holder, Pen, Multitool, Swiss Army Knife/knives (SAKs), Shades, Mobile, Lighter etc. etc.

The best part is that this EDC becomes a part of our identity and grows over the years. I for one am a sucker for all things leather and metal and actively look for stuff to EDC and mind you EDC can be one expensive rabbit hole.

I could not find a dedicated thread for the matter like there are other beautiful threads which are of similar nature viz:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...o-you-own.html (Which watch do you own?)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-d...ols-diyer.html (Tools for a DIYer)

If you are into EDC, chances are you are an avid follower of the above mentioned threads too.

There is one post which i could see as the first post in the matter and should also be the first post here, quoting it below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassem View Post
Nope! not Engine Deceleration Control. But you're forgiven. This is primarily an automotive forum after all.

EDC is EveryDay Carry. These are items which you always have on you, your backpack or car. Those valuable little tools without which you feel naked and useless. The things you always check your pockets for before leaving home or office.

Basically your EDC will have everything you feel is essential to get you through your everyday bustle and hustle.

Usually, a well planned EDC will include the following:
  1. Phone
  2. Keys
  3. Wallet/Money/Cards
  4. Watch
  5. Sunglasses
  6. Pen and a notepad
  7. Flashlight
  8. Knife/Multitool or both
Some of us are kinda anal about being prepared. I am one of those guys. So this is my EDC on any given day. The watch, pen and multitool and flashlight rotates. But everything else remains the same.

Attachment 1359070

And here's a larger backpack dump. These are essentially the items I have on me when I carry my bag. Every single time.

Attachment 1359069

While it may look mental, everything on these is something essential. There is a battery backup, a backup drive, a pen drive, some paracord and pretty much everything I'll ever need while out and about. And no, it's not heavy or space consuming at all.

If you've read this far, there are two possible outcomes.

1 - You strongly believe I need quarantine, lest this is infectious.

2 - You're happy you're not the only nutter and there are others who love doing this. In which case, Hello!!

So which one are you? And what do you EDC? We need Pics!!!

Coming soon: Knives, multi-tools and sharp sharp edges!
So i invite you all to please share your EDC pics. It can be as simple as your Pocket Dump or a fully detailed Backpack/Laptop Bag Dump. Further I request you all to please share links for purchasing the EDC items wherever possible.

Below is my EDC

The Everyday Carry Thread - What do you carry with you everyday?-img_6720.jpg
  1. Wallet - Cross Wallet
  2. Card Holder - Distil Union Wally Sleeve
  3. Key Ring - Fenix Multipurpose Hook and Team-BHP Live to Drive KeyChain
  4. Pen - Parker Vector Stainless Steel
  5. Multitool - Leatherman Wave+ with heritage leather case
  6. Phone and Case - iPhone XS max with UAG Pathfinder case
  7. Earbuds - Apple airpods 2 with wireless charging case in generic Silicon Case
  8. Watch - Apple Watch Series 4 cellular Nike Edition with Rhinoshield crashguard NX and Silicon Band
  9. Swiss Knife - Victorinox Huntsman

Last edited by roamer012 : 17th November 2019 at 13:29.
roamer012 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2019, 16:41   #2
BHPian

re: The Everyday Carry Thread - What do you carry with you everyday?

Nice thread. Didn't relate to this initially, but then remembered, in my childhood, my dad always used to say "peru cha pak" in marathi, meaning the list of things one has to carry before going outdoors.
PE pen
RU rumal (hanky)
CHA chavi (key)
PAK paakit (wallet)

I guess this does count as EDC
I do follow the same, except, I just tap all my pockets to see if all of them are filled with proper items distributed everywhere.
Torq is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2019, 18:01   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torq View Post
PE pen
RU rumal (hanky)
CHA chavi (key)
PAK paakit (wallet)
Great mnemonic!!! Like i said, we all EDC one way or other. It is just that over the time, you get very specific about the Pen or the kerchief or the wallet you carry and that becomes your EDC. Also an EDC post without a pic is kind of incomplete .
Old 17th November 2019, 20:43   #4
BHPian

Here's my EDC. I sometimes have more stuff with me, but this is standard.
The Everyday Carry Thread - What do you carry with you everyday?-img_20191117_203841.jpg
Old 17th November 2019, 21:30   #5
BHPian

Don't know if this counts but I actually have a checklist on my phone that I glance at before heading out to the office.

Here goes:

[ ] ID card
[ ] Umbrella
[ ] Pen
[ ] Phone charger
[ ] Headphone
[ ] Wallet
[ ] Driving licence
[ ] Cash
[ ] Debit card
[ ] Water bottle × 2
[ ] Little red notepad
[ ] Windshield washer fluid

Last edited by voldemort : 17th November 2019 at 21:33.
Old 18th November 2019, 07:46   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by boniver View Post
Here's my EDC. I sometimes have more stuff with me, but this is standard.
Wow, still rocking a blackberry. Is this the Curve? Also which camera is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by voldemort View Post
Don't know if this counts but I actually have a checklist on my phone that I glance at before heading out to the office.

Here goes:
Definitely counts but its incomplete without Pics and details.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 18th November 2019 at 16:22. Reason: Quote content trimmed.
Old 18th November 2019, 09:52   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamer012 View Post
Wow, still rocking a blackberry. Is this the Curve?
Yes, the one in the photo is the Curve 8520 (been with me since 2009). The photograph was taken with my Curve 9220 (2012), which you can see in the picture below (the one on the right).
The Everyday Carry Thread - What do you carry with you everyday?-img_20191118_094742.jpg

Quote:
Also which camera is it?
It's a Nikon D3200 that I primarily use with a 50mm prime lens.
Old 18th November 2019, 10:04   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torq View Post
Nice thread. Didn't relate to this initially, but then remembered, in my childhood, my dad always used to say "peru cha pak" in marathi, meaning the list of things one has to carry before going outdoors.
PE pen
RU rumal (hanky)
CHA chavi (key)
PAK paakit (wallet)
I'd heard that the Mumbaikar (at least for those who used the local or BEST daily) version of the list above was: PE RU CHA PAA PAA (Pen Rumal Chavi Pass Paakit)

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2019, 11:30   #9
Senior - BHPian

Since I am a frequent flyer, I cannot carry Knives, blades or even scissor but other than routine items like wallet, laptop & charger, my everyday bag always contains:
  • Huawei 10' Tablet - I use it for everything (Social Media) except making calls
  • 10K Battery bank - recently procured with C-type charger
  • Phone charger + long length cable
  • Single wallet customized to contain every possible card, train pass & ID
  • Mach-3 shaver with blade (never been stopped from carrying one M3 blade)
  • Toothbrush & paste (paste is usually siphoned from hotel rooms)
  • Hair Oil in sachets & Comb (comb again siphoned from hotel rooms)
  • Sours, mints &/or green cardamoms
  • Tightly rolled wind-cheater+raincoat & medium size hand towel
  • Novel (usually fiction)
  • My glasses & routine medicines like Crocin & Cetrizine
  • A notebook & pen
Regards-Sonu

Last edited by aah78 : 20th November 2019 at 19:36. Reason: > changed to LIST for eeasier reading. ;)
Old 18th November 2019, 11:51   #10
Senior - BHPian

I am an avid follower of a lot of EDC websites and YouTube channels, including Best Damn EDC and others. This was one thread missing on this forum, glad that it's finally live.

My EDC is as follows:

1. Leather wallet - generic brand, nothing too expensive.

2. Car and house keys.

3. Pocket knife: Spyderco Efficient (black G10 handle) or the Kershaw Link (gorgeous blue anodised aluminium handle with black stonewash blade). Fantastic budget knives, and perfect for EDC. Of course, these are put out of rotation when I am boarding a flight or other places where they are not allowed. Honestly, one is never aware of the utility of a quality pocket knife until one starts carrying it regularly.

4. Flashlight: Olight S1A Baton. Super compact, super bright, with multiple modes to adjust the brightness as the requirement arises. Best part- runs on one single AA battery, no need to worry about USB charging cables and the like. Fits inconspicuously into any pocket, great build quality and is an absolute dream to carry around either on my person or tucked into my every day backpack. One of the best pocket flashlights available on the market. And no, a mobile phone flash is not a substitute for a powerful EDC flashlight. In a pinch, yes, it serves the purpose, but if I have the choice, a proper pocket flashlight is the way to go.

5. Backpack: this is with me all the time, every day, whether in office or in my car. I invested in the North Face Surge in military green earlier this year. Got this from the USA, for a fairly steep price but the thing is built like a tank. It should easily last me many years to come, and looks incredible. This houses my laptop and other regular carry items.

6. Watch: I am a watch enthusiast, and have a collection of about 5-6 watches. My daily wear to office is an Orient Bambino, a classic dress watch goes with formal wear beautifully. Outside office, I cycle between the Casio G Shock 5600 (for rough use and in the gym), Seiko Alpinist, Seiko SARB033, Seiko Samurai Pepsi divers watch and the Orient Mako II in blue.

7. Phone: One Plus 6T. I am pretty much a One Plus loyalist for the past three years. Blazing fast performance, and quick charge capabilities. Enough said. Serves all my phone -related needs to the T.

These are the items I pretty much carry everywhere. I realized that its good to invest a bit more on each of them thereby ensuring high quality stuff which will last me for a long time. Don't feel the need for any major upgrades at this point, since combined, these fulfill all my EDC requirements. These items have been carefully chosen over the course of a couple of years, and I am happy with their quality and performance at this time.

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 18th November 2019 at 12:06.
Old 18th November 2019, 12:00   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesonu View Post
Since I am a frequent flyer, I cannot carry Knives, blades or even scissor but other than routine items like wallet, laptop & charger, my everyday bag always contains:
Photographs and details will be much appreciated. I must say i am surprised by the the razor remark. It is really helpful since i have unnecessarily checked in baggage because of this many a times. Is there anyway to get this in writing from AAI or CISF or someone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
I am an avid follower of a lot of EDC websites and YouTube channels, including Best Damn EDC and others. This was one thread missing on this forum, glad that it's finally live.
Wow, a nice collection you have got going there, do share pics and e-commerce links if possible. Investing in good quality stuff definitely pays off in long term. Plus i hate changing stuff frequently so it definitely helps to invest in good quality stuff.

Last edited by aah78 : 20th November 2019 at 19:37. Reason: Quotes trimmed. Please don't quote large posts entirely. Thanks!
Old 18th November 2019, 15:26   #12
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Everyday Carry Thread - What do you carry with you everyday?

Because my office is in my house itself, only if I step out do I carry the following things with me:

- Slim money clip with cash + 2 credit cards + driving licence (I hate fat wallets)
- Samsung S9 phone
- Watch
- 2 gold chains (don't ask why, I love chains)
- Car & home keys (9 keys in total!!!)
- Sunglasses
- Dell Latitude Laptop (if it's a working day, I don't go anywhere without my laptop)

Last edited by GTO : 18th November 2019 at 21:19.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2019, 16:12   #13
BHPian

I mostly work from home nowadays. And I have become more and more minamilstic. So mostly when I go out it is:

1. Phone - IPhone 11
2. Card wallet - 4/5 cards + a couple of notes (no change)
3. Car keys + House Keys (1 car key + 1 house key)
4. Water bottle - that's they only thing that doesnt fit in any pocket

And that's all.

Last edited by aah78 : 19th November 2019 at 18:56. Reason: Spacing.
Old 18th November 2019, 16:29   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

I have a couple of things I always wear.

I always wear a watch, I am fortunate to have several to choose from.

I always wear my wedding ring. (Dutch tradition means it is engraved with our wedding anniversary).

I also always wear a signet ring I got from my parents when I turned 21 and a golden chain with my sign (Pisces) that I inherited from my mum, who was also a Pisces.

I also always wear my gold bracelet. My wife had it made for me when we lived in Delhi. It is made from gold from some old jewelry from her granny.

I usually take my phone, wallet (with credit cards and driver license) and house keys with me when I go out. Depending on the car I would take, or one of my bicycles I would also take the respective key(s)

Sunglasses might come along depending on the weather. They are usually kept in my daily drive.

These days I have a little bag/satchet that will hold my phone, wallet, keys, sunglasses. Very convenient.

If it is a working day and I need to go to an office, I would bring my leather briefcase, stuffed with the usual things, laptop, ipad, access / ID badges, paper note books, passport etc.

Jeroen
Old 18th November 2019, 16:48   #15
BHPian

This has been my setup that I have consuming since 5 years (at least most of them)! Every single thing has been so reliable so far!

The Everyday Carry Thread - What do you carry with you everyday?-img_1579.jpg

The Everyday Carry Thread - What do you carry with you everyday?-img_1584.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 19th November 2019 at 18:57. Reason: Pictures inserted in-line.

Most Viewed