Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2019, 12:04   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Solutions for keeping guests cool on a terrace / open area?

So we have a nice terrace where we host lots of parties & get-togethers. However, thanks to the crazy weather fluctuations, it's warm at times even in November. This Saturday, we were sweating profusely at 2 am .

What are the options for keeping guests cool on an open terrace? Group size can vary between 2 to 20, so we can get multiple units if required.

Last evening, I saw this mist-fan at a hotel. Is this the best or any other options? We also have a pergola, so roof-mounted options can be considered. However, if roof-mounted, then it has to be weather-proof. On the other hand, if it's a pedestal fan (like the one below), we can always move it indoors after the party. Would highly appreciate brand recommendations too as whatever I see on Amazon are all unknown.

Thanks much in advance !

Solutions for keeping guests cool on a terrace / open area?-20191117-20.53.14.jpg
Old 18th November 2019, 12:12   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Solutions for keeping guests cool on a terrace / open area?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Last evening, I saw this mist-fan at a hotel.
This method has become popular: some establishments have a fan, others have tubes running through the restaurant that spray water periodically/at all times.

More often that not, I've felt it doesn't make anything better; at times, making it more uncomfortable. This will increase humidity so unless you're in the path of the direct flow, this might add to the problem.

Since you'll use these regularly, invest in tower a/c perhaps. Carrier, Blue Star make good ones; seen them regularly at open-air restaurants/bars.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2019, 12:17   #3
BHPian

I've seen many function halls making use of desert coolers.
They work quite well too.

Plus, they can be easily moved indoors when you're done (additionally, one can mount it on a window. Works really good even in summers).
Old 18th November 2019, 12:37   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Desert Coolers are very effective in open areas. Only caveat: in drier conditions. I am not sure if they would be as effective in coastal regions like Mumbai where humidity is high. We have a Kenstar desert cooler for past 7-8 years and it does a wonderful job of cooling the rooms in dry summers.

Regards.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2019, 12:38   #5
BHPian

Sweating is a consequence of humidity and not temperature. So a lot depends on which city and what type of devices are used. In coastal areas like mumbai, chennai or mangalore desert coolers don't have the intended effect. However, in dry hot places they can provide good respite. The other factor is place and area. In an open to elements areas like a terrace it's not possible to provide a completely uniform air circulation. Strategically placed, a normal pedestal fan with oscillating cage at multiple locations, would do the job.

Now a days in railway stations and exhibition venues , they have these ceiling fans with huge blades which are quite effective.
Old 18th November 2019, 12:40   #6
Senior - BHPian

The mist fan works well but increases humidity significantly. You get tower ACs nowadays, I had seen a few in a car dealership. You can try that out. (The towers wont be movable I think).

You can try coolers in Winters when atmosphere is dry. They will be completely inefficient in Summers and Rainy seasons.
Old 18th November 2019, 12:47   #7
Team-BHP Support

Been on that terrace many times and here's my honest suggestion.
Based on the number of people, hire large pedestal fans from outside. You need to have multiple power points and that's not a problem I suppose.
Old 18th November 2019, 12:52   #8
Senior - BHPian

The massive size mist fan is used here in the desert quite effectively. Just 1 unit is enough as we use ice-water. That's the best option to stay cool, without incurring large amounts in power bills. For the ceiling, we have intermittent sails (both, very good quality so lasts decades). Together they work well.

Name:  Screen Shot 20191118 at 12.44.41 PM.png
Views: 10239
Size:  405.0 KB
Solutions for keeping guests cool on a terrace / open area?-screen-shot-20191118-12.49.45-pm.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
What are the options for keeping guests cool on an open terrace? Group size can vary between 2 to 20, so we can get multiple units if required.

Last edited by aah78 : 18th November 2019 at 19:14. Reason: Pictures inserted in-line.
Old 18th November 2019, 13:09   #9
BHPian

Apart from mist fans, keeping the concrete cool during the day should lower the overall temperature at night. If possible, you can install retractable awnings/blinds based on the orientation and Design of the terrace. Also, you can install wooden pallets with low distance between the wooden planks, so that they create enough shade for the roof as well as let air pass through them. One thing to ensure is that the wood should be able to withstand outdoor weather conditions. You can also develop a terrace garden/lawn kind of a thing to keep things cool.

One more idea is to install a split ac system and keep a powerful oscillating fan in front of the indoor unit so that it propells the cool air all around.
Old 18th November 2019, 13:16   #10
BHPian

Floor standing AC's as in hotels & other guesthouses?

In Delhi very common in farm houses weddings & other functions. I am assuming they are costly but as you are into lot of get-togethers cost will get rationalised over a period of time.

Of-course being a open environment there will be loss of cooling but then again in front of the same cool non timid air will be welcome. Or put a AC or cooler on roof and use vents to throw air on terrace via pipes.
Old 18th November 2019, 13:42   #11
BHPian

I don't think mist fans in Bombay are a great idea. They'll only work well on days when ambient temperature is already pleasant. And they're loud. On humid days they can be obnoxious.

Get a good "portable" AC. Get two if the area is large. And place a few pedestal fans around to circulate.

I'd recommend these:
Portable AC
Calma fan
This fan uses a BLDC motor and is silent.

You can even check with your local AC guy if he can assemble a higher tonnage piece in a similar body for less.

Last edited by ach1lles : 18th November 2019 at 13:44.
Old 18th November 2019, 13:56   #12
Team-BHP Support

If the terrace has an open area, having a tower/movable AC won't work I think.

Coolers or high speed fans [pedestals]should work. Saw Sebring's post, that looks interesting and should work, only caveat is, deserts have dry weather, Bombay has very humid weather, so that needs to be taken into account.
Old 18th November 2019, 14:05   #13
BHPian

If you opt for pedestal fans, please consider the safety of guests while installing it. I have seen a small child (5 year old) injure his fingers trying to touch the blades. Another possibility for an accident is if someone with long hair stands behind the fan. Please ensure that the fans are placed somewhere where it is not easy for people to reach.
Old 18th November 2019, 15:22   #14
Senior - BHPian

You may want to consider installing some roofing. It has 2 major benefits. Will reduce the possibility of cracks in your buildings plaster and consequently leakages. Will also reduce the heat on your terrace and also on your top floor.

Not very expensive and time consuming to install.
Old 18th November 2019, 15:28   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KL01toKA03 View Post
If you opt for pedestal fans, please consider the safety of guests while installing it. I have seen a small child (5 year old) injure his fingers trying to touch the blades. Another possibility for an accident is if someone with long hair stands behind the fan. Please ensure that the fans are placed somewhere where it is not easy for people to reach.
Agree 100%. Happened to my own child couple of months back. Thankfully the cut was not too deep and healed in 2-3 days. But can turn out to be much worse.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks