Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2007, 00:58   #61
Team-BHP Support

WEP WPA PSK etc., all is BS.
Ideally you let router be WEP etc., etc., and have your network behind a VPN.
That way even if somebody hooks to your wireless that guy can't come "on the network"
Old 3rd August 2007, 06:44   #62
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
WEP WPA PSK etc., all is BS.
Ideally you let router be WEP etc., etc., and have your network behind a VPN.
That way even if somebody hooks to your wireless that guy can't come "on the network"
You think I am putting my LAN network on Wifi? Look at the diagram I posted few posts back. Even if someone gets on the network, they will run against the Firewall and external web server (which is on Internet anyway).

Only the external DMZ is on WiFi. I still want maximum security because I don't want bandwidth leeches trying to share my Internet or listen to clear text transmissions (http/smtp, etc).
Old 3rd August 2007, 18:01   #63
Team-BHP Support

Ok, did that too. I flashed both the Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 routers with dd-wrt v23 SP2 generic firmware. That's like replacing the BIOS of a PC.

After many hours of effort, I finally got the bridge working exactly like I wanted on 802.11g mode, I am getting full 54G speed. The security is WPA-PSK with 63 character/504 bit key. There is one more step I can take to make it fully secure, I can simply disable all wireless clients. Since I will be connecting wired network on both side, it can practically keep all the riff-raff out.

I think v24 supports WPA2 too, right now it is in beta. But that can wait.

Thanks SumitB, I think you were hugely responsible for this success.
Old 4th August 2007, 01:03   #64
BHPian

Hey Samurai , can you provide cost break up ?
Old 4th August 2007, 07:06   #65
Team-BHP Support

The routers were $100 each, the backfire antennas were $58 each, and the 20feet cables are $43 each. So the hardware cost was $402. The items were brought as personal luggage to India. This config has maximum 30Kms range, but I am planning to reduce the power drastically to fit my 1KM need.
Old 4th August 2007, 09:39   #66
BHPian

Samurai I am very happy to know that you setup works

Just a piece of advice, in the last few weeks (after the start of the monsoons), I have had a few routers failing on me due to power surges. Please ensure that you connect both the routers to a good (APC preferred) UPS to prevent any surges.
Old 10th May 2008, 13:13   #67
BHPian

Please help me connect two pionts using WiFi

Dear all, I live in a tea garden with my parents living in a separate house at a distance of about 600-700 mts. Now I want to connect my computer with the one in my parents house using WiFi. Problem is that not many people here are clued up on WiFi and how to implement my requirement. Moreover there are a lot of tea bushes and a few trees in between the houses. Cost of Hardware also is sky high and can be got from the vendor on prior order with full payment. Please help.

P.S. I have sent a PM to SUMITB today morning as he is the nearest Bhpian to me.

Thanks in advance

Lifewater
Old 10th May 2008, 15:16   #68
Senior - BHPian

600m seems like a tall order for Wi Fi
maybe you can try something like this
Uni-Directional WIFI Range Extender - Instructables - DIY, How To, tech
Old 10th May 2008, 15:46   #69
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
600m seems like a tall order for Wi Fi
maybe you can try something like this
The WiFi setup I have used is rated up to 20 miles or 32Kms. Since my need is 760m, I have kept it in the low power setting of 28mw.
Old 10th May 2008, 15:59   #70
BHPian

Lifewater, I have already responded to your pm with details. For the benefit of others, I am posting here.

For your requirement, I don't think it is very difficult to achieve what you want for a mere 5000 rupees. By Line of Sight, I mean can you see one location from the other. A few shrubs and trees in between will hardly make a dent in the connectivity. Get 2 Buffalo WHR-54GS from Datamation, Guwahati. It should be available for 2200 per piece. Please contact Mr. Pawan Agrawal of Datamation on 09435047633 or 0361-2451582. He has the above routers.

Then go and do some research on www.dd-wrt.com and mod your routers with the latest available firmware. Now you will need to do some testing with the optimum power setting for the routers to stay connected. That should be it.

One warning though. If you mod the routers, you will void the warranty, but that is a risk you should be willing to take.

I am sure there may be other options for your needs. I provided you with the best and tested solution which I have utilised on several occasions. The maximum distance I have covered on stock antennas for the above routers is 1200mts. LoS.
Old 10th May 2008, 16:20   #71
Team-BHP Support

If you get the parabolic antenna, your range can really increase.

I use this: WiFi Antenna - Backfire 802.11 Antenna
Old 10th May 2008, 16:20   #72
BHPian

An update, Lifewater. The WHR-54GS has now been replaced with a better and more sturdy WHR G-125. For the same price. This is also compatible with dd-wrt. Your call.
Old 10th May 2008, 17:10   #73
Senior - BHPian

Whatever it is, you shouldn't be paying any service provider for getting connectivity between two of your locations 500 meters apart!
Old 10th May 2008, 19:59   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post
An update, Lifewater. The WHR-54GS has now been replaced with a better and more sturdy WHR G-125. For the same price. This is also compatible with dd-wrt. Your call.
Yup the build looks better but it comes with a cheapo non detachable 2dBi antenna compared to a nice 4dBi antenna with the original that was also detachable. As of now, tomato doesnt support it either.

Someone said WPA is bull****. On the contrary, WPA is way way more secure than WEP. WEP is like leaving a lock on the door and not locking it. Having a VPN does help over any of these techs though.
Old 10th May 2008, 23:02   #75
BHPian

In the case of Lifewater, we have to keep his location in mind. He wants the setup at a tea garden which would mean away from the atmospheric congestion and general radio interference that would exist in an urban area. My gut feeling is that the new WHR G-125 should work for him with the dd-wrt firmware (which does support it) Supported Devices - DD-WRT Wiki

Lifewater, I will not vouch for the router to work for you as reignofchaos already said, this new one comes with a 2db antenna. In any case, get in touch with Datamation's Mr. Agarwal and see if he can provide you with the WHR-54GS. If he can, get it, mod it and I can vouch for it to work for you.

Let me know if you want any further information. It would be a pleasure to help you achieve what you want ;-)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks