Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2007, 18:24   #31
Senior - BHPian

3.6 Spectrum Allocation Issues and Updates
In India, the 2.4 GHz band is de-licensed for indoor and outdoor use, while the 5GHz band is
de-licensed only for indoor use. Wi-Fi b/g equipment used in India is predominantly the 2.4GHz
band.
The government de-licensed 2.4GHz band in January 2005 for indoor-outdoor usage in any
wireless radio equipment, as long as the equipment met certain performance parameters
. The
5.150 – 5.350 GHz and 5.725 – 5.875 GHz bands have been de-licensed only for indoor usage.
In Sep 2006, The Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI), in its Recommendations of
Spectrum Allocation and Pricing for 3G and Broadband Wireless Access services,
recommended the following with respect to the outdoor usage of 5 GHz band: “Use of 5.150-
5.350 GHz and 5.725 – 5.825 GHz bands may be allowed on a technology neutral, non-
protected, non-exclusive basis as de-licensed bands in also the outdoor
terrestrial wireless technologies.” The WPC (Wireless Planning Commission) of the Ministry of
Communications also clarified that this could be considered on a case-to-case basis.
In December 2006, it was reported that the government will open up 5.1 GHz for wireless
access. Also, a 50 Mhz range in the 5.825 GHz - 5.875 GHz band is to be de-licensed soon for
deployments of outdoor Wi-Fi services, according to the government.

Source:
The Future for Wi-Fi ® in India : Opportunities & Challenges-PDF

WIFI Alliance January 2007

PS:
You may want to have a look
AirJaldi Summit - Dharamsala, India » The Mesh
Old 23rd February 2007, 20:30   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Samurai, was fibre ruled out, and any specific reason?
Is there a way you can connect a router /switch, one placed in each building, and a fibre in between? It will be internal & secure. Not affected by weather. You would just need to give it a physically secure path.
Old 23rd February 2007, 20:58   #33
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Samurai, was fibre ruled out, and any specific reason?
Is there a way you can connect a router /switch, one placed in each building, and a fibre in between? It will be internal & secure. Not affected by weather. You would just need to give it a physically secure path.
Oh boy, it will be extremely expensive. We don't own the land in between, which is actually a big valley.
Old 24th February 2007, 05:18   #34
BHPian

Samurai: How many computer are you going to connect together and how many users will be using it. Also any info about the speed that you expect will also be helpfull to decide if the solution SumitB suggests will be suitable for you.

SumitB: By upgrading the firmware to DDWRT im sure the warranty is void. What if the router stops working after a month ot two. My another question is how do you upgrade the WRT54G? do we have to open the unit or can we do it serially??

can the DDWRT be installed on WRT54gX and WRT54gX2 which are faster and supports more range.
Old 24th February 2007, 14:04   #35
BHPian

@navin:

All your details can be found in the WiKi of www.dd-wrt.com

I am in no way either selling or advocating or dealing in wither the routers or the firmware. I am only helping people here but with the advice that do it at your own risk. The warranty will be void. I suppose you can upgrade the GS series of the router as well. You need not open the unit at all. You can upgrade the firmware through the web interface and the use of tftp client.

I have had no failures in over 70-75 routers till date in 2 years. Only failures due to surge, thus using ups for each and every router in my installation. I mean I specify my clients to power up the entire electric line using a decent ups for exclusive use of the routers. My clients are all using this for distribution of WiFi to their hotel guests and some are also using for inter-office and home-office connectivity. The maximum link in place at the moment is 600-700m using stock everything. In the process of 1.5-1.8km link using a parabolic antenna.

But again, I advice all users/friends willing to try this to first read and understand the dangers involved. if something goes wrong, you will have fried about 3K wit no way to recover it in India at the moment.
Old 24th February 2007, 18:32   #36
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_bhp View Post
Samurai: How many computer are you going to connect together and how many users will be using it. Also any info about the speed that you expect will also be helpfull to decide if the solution SumitB suggests will be suitable for you.
Number of users don't matter. This is my plan:

Internet Router <-> WiFi AP <-> Directional Antenna 1 <----500M----> Directional Antenna 2 <-> WiFi AP <-> Normal Router <---> To all wired PCs.

The plan is to provide Internet to the second building via the first building. The second building has no connectivity options.

SumitB, think this will work?
Old 24th February 2007, 18:47   #37
BHPian

It will work without a hitch. How many pcs at the other end? I ask coz the WRT54G has built in 4 ports for LAN and the 1 WAN port can also be assigned to work as a LAN port with the ddwrt. So if your site has 5 pcs or less then you can eliminate the 2nd switch/hub to cut another 1000bucks or so from the overall cost.
Old 24th February 2007, 23:01   #38
Team-BHP Support

The normal router I mentioned will actually be a PC running ISA server which will have one WiFi adopter connecting to the AP and one regular NIC connected to the internal LAN. All the other PCs will get Internet via this ISA server. So, number of PCs doesn't matter.
Old 28th February 2007, 20:16   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
The normal router I mentioned will actually be a PC running ISA server which will have one WiFi adopter connecting to the AP and one regular NIC connected to the internal LAN. All the other PCs will get Internet via this ISA server. So, number of PCs doesn't matter.

I would suggest you to create a VPN tunnel between the two routers to route the data through them, so that the data even if intercepted by anyone in between won't be of any use and would be secure.
Old 28th February 2007, 21:49   #40
Team-BHP Support

Buy a cheap wireless router upto 2500rs. Each router will have a range of 100mts with clear line of sight.
Then fashion a directional antenna yoursel(Lots of guides on howto, search google).
Its very easy to make a directional antenna.
If you don't want to DIY, then you can spend 100$x2 and get a wifi signal booster.
You will need to boost signal at both ends.
A helpul link: Boost wifi range to 4km with $5 components
Slashdot | 4km WiFi Range w/ $5 DIY Antenna
Old 28th February 2007, 23:52   #41
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixthsense View Post
I would suggest you to create a VPN tunnel between the two routers to route the data through them, so that the data even if intercepted by anyone in between won't be of any use and would be secure.
I will be using WPA-PSK encryption. Also, the first PC it hits happens to run ISA server, which is a commercial grade firewall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Its very easy to make a directional antenna.
If you don't want to DIY, then you can spend 100$x2 and get a wifi signal booster.
This is for the company, I prefer to go with professional equipment. I'd rather put a weather proof antenna like this one.

WiFi Antenna | High Gain Weatherproof Yagi
Old 1st March 2007, 11:06   #42
Team-BHP Support

that looks like an active antenna. Since you need only 500mts of directional range, go for a passive parabolic reflector. You need not DIY, buy one from a company for around 10$. Will give you around 1km of range.
I am not in favor of omni directional WIFI range increase as it opens up your network to lot more potential crackers.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 1st March 2007 at 11:11.
Old 1st March 2007, 12:22   #43
BHPian

The typical home Access Points do not have a range of more than 100 mts in LoS situation. If you get a gain of about 17 dBm using directional antenna, do you think it will give a coverage of 4 KM. 20 dBm in 11b mode is the typical transmitted power for most of the APs.
Old 5th March 2007, 05:07   #44
Team-BHP Support

Interesting...

RONJA - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

cya
R
Old 5th March 2007, 19:04   #45
BHPian

You can checkout Buffalo Technology - Offering a full suite of wireless home networking solutions: AirStation 54g products - High Speed 125Mbps 802.11g Plus products - 802.11a/b/g combo products - Memory - Storage - Multimedia products - AOSS - 54g Technology - WiFi
They have wireless repeaters apart from the usual wifi routers. So what you can do is buy couple of routers and couple of repeaters to place outside. That would cater to the indoor and outdoor requirements.
WRB_G54K is the model

Last edited by kvish : 5th March 2007 at 19:05.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks