Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2008, 07:43   #76
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post
In the case of Lifewater, we have to keep his location in mind. He wants the setup at a tea garden which would mean away from the atmospheric congestion and general radio interference that would exist in an urban area. My gut feeling is that the new WHR G-125 should work for him with the dd-wrt firmware (which does support it) Supported Devices - DD-WRT Wiki

Lifewater, I will not vouch for the router to work for you as reignofchaos already said, this new one comes with a 2db antenna. In any case, get in touch with Datamation's Mr. Agarwal and see if he can provide you with the WHR-54GS. If he can, get it, mod it and I can vouch for it to work for you.

Let me know if you want any further information. It would be a pleasure to help you achieve what you want ;-)
Hi Sumit, Thanks for your help. I will speak to Pawan Agarwal today. Will keep everybody updated on the progress. I suppose it will be better to go in for the WHR-54GS with its detatchable antenna, in case I will need to use an external antenna. Also can bhpians guide me on the placement of the Access point, both our houses are single storied typical tea bungalows.

Thanks in advance
Old 12th May 2008, 07:53   #77
BHPian

Quote:
In the case of Lifewater, we have to keep his location in mind. He wants the setup at a tea garden which would mean away from the atmospheric congestion and general radio interference that would exist in an urban area. My gut feeling is that the new WHR G-125 should work for him with the dd-wrt firmware (which does support it) Supported Devices - DD-WRT Wiki

Lifewater, I will not vouch for the router to work for you as reignofchaos already said, this new one comes with a 2db antenna. In any case, get in touch with Datamation's Mr. Agarwal and see if he can provide you with the WHR-54GS. If he can, get it, mod it and I can vouch for it to work for you.

Let me know if you want any further information. It would be a pleasure to help you achieve what you want ;-)

Thanks Buddy, Let me speak to pawan Agarwal today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Whatever it is, you shouldn't be paying any service provider for getting connectivity between two of your locations 500 meters apart!
No I will do it myself. However I will need help from all of you the get the set-up going. Thanks
Old 12th May 2008, 11:13   #78
BHPian

Quote:
For your requirement, I don't think it is very difficult to achieve what you want for a mere 5000 rupees. By Line of Sight, I mean can you see one location from the other. A few shrubs and trees in between will hardly make a dent in the connectivity. Get 2 Buffalo WHR-54GS from Datamation, Guwahati. It should be available for 2200 per piece. Please contact Mr. Pawan Agrawal of Datamation on 09435047633 or 0361-2451582. He has the above routers.

LoS.
Hi Sumit, spoke to Pawan Agarwal, says the Buffalo is no longer in stock. Says the company folded up !!!. He advised me "buy Dlink -- Very good service costs only Rs 3900/-". Now I am in a fix on what to do. Mr Agarwal was so brash did not want to speak to me and hung up the phone on me. Phew back to square one dont know what to do.
Old 12th May 2008, 11:39   #79
Team-BHP Support

Looks like they have been had by Cisco.

Buffalo Technology - Products - Wireless-G 125* High Speed
Old 12th May 2008, 11:48   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Looks like they have been had by Cisco.

Buffalo Technology - Products - Wireless-G 125* High Speed
What do you mean ? Its not Cisco but CSIRO from Australia.
Old 12th May 2008, 12:20   #81
Team-BHP Support

Oops! I stand corrected, I read it too fast.
Old 12th May 2008, 17:07   #82
BHPian

Lifewater, sorry for the Datamation thing. This Pawan Agarwal is known to be a rude man but I did not expect this from him. Anyways, if you are willing to experiment and take a risk, I can hook you up with the distributors for TP-LINK in Delhi. You can obtain 2 9db Uni-Directional Antennas from them and also 2 Linksys WRT54G clones. This will enable you to achieve your link and the cost would be about 5000 for everything. Let me know if you're interested.

You will need to connect one router to one antenna at each end and since the 9db antenna is rated for transmission and reception for upto 2000mts in the open, 600-700 mts. should be a piece of cake for it.

You will need to following:

TL-ANT2409A

TL-WR542G

Last edited by SumitB : 12th May 2008 at 17:10.
Old 13th May 2008, 07:04   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Lifewater, sorry for the Datamation thing. This Pawan Agarwal is known to be a rude man but I did not expect this from him. Anyways, if you are willing to experiment and take a risk, I can hook you up with the distributors for TP-LINK in Delhi. You can obtain 2 9db Uni-Directional Antennas from them and also 2 Linksys WRT54G clones. This will enable you to achieve your link and the cost would be about 5000 for everything. Let me know if you're interested.

You will need to connect one router to one antenna at each end and since the 9db antenna is rated for transmission and reception for upto 2000mts in the open, 600-700 mts. should be a piece of cake for it.

You will need to following:

TL-ANT2409A

TL-WR542G
Hi Sumit, Thank you very much for the offer. I am interested to use these to complete my link. By the way sumit, t\can these be flashed with dd-wrt. Thank you very much once again
Old 13th May 2008, 08:38   #84
Team-BHP Support

Won't a WRT54GL clone be better.
The WRT54G has issues, therefore the WRT54GL was always recommended, and significantly more expensive than the WRT54G.
Old 13th May 2008, 09:14   #85
BHPian

@LifeWater: Sorry buddy, but TP-LINK routers cannot be flashed with any open-source or 3rd party firmware as of now and I don't see it happening in the near future also. That is why I suggested you to get the omni antennas as well to ensure connectivity.
Old 14th May 2008, 07:03   #86
BHPian

Dear all I am still stuck where I am. Wi-fi routers not available at Dibrugarh / Guwahati except Netgear WGR614. Price is also sky high. Prices quoted by sumitb is fantastic, but I have not received the delhi dealer's contact info (SumitB pl help). Also let me tell you all more about the proposed link. My father's house cum office has a VSAT terminal which he uses for internet and official mails. The office has five computers which is connected by UTP lan. Now there is a 8 port D-Link 10/100 MBps switch to connect the computers. I want to use one connection out of this switch to connect the computer in my house. I would have gone the UTP lan way had it not been for the distance. Also fibre is too costly. The only thing I couls think of is wireless and yesterday a friend of mine said "Why dont you use the old telephone line between your houses to connect the computers, there is a modem/switch which uses telephone lines to network two or more computers" now this is interesting as we have a old telephone line between the houses which is not used anymore. Also I dont need a speed of more than 10 MBps as the modem of the VSAT connects to the LAN switch at 10 MBPS. (It is a GILAT SKYSTAR modem and the service provider is BHARTI ). Please help me make this connection also please provide me a solution where I have to spend a minimum amount of money.

Thanks again to all Bhpians
Old 14th May 2008, 09:45   #87
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifewater View Post
Dear all I am still stuck where I am. Wi-fi routers not available at Dibrugarh / Guwahati except Netgear WGR614. Price is also sky high. Prices quoted by sumitb is fantastic, but I have not received the delhi dealer's contact info (SumitB pl help).
They are normal prices in metros, just get somebody to ship it to you from the closest metrro, say Kolkotta.

Quote:
Also let me tell you all more about the proposed link. My father's house cum office has a VSAT terminal which he uses for internet and official mails. The office has five computers which is connected by UTP lan. Now there is a 8 port D-Link 10/100 MBps switch to connect the computers. I want to use one connection out of this switch to connect the computer in my house. I would have gone the UTP lan way had it not been for the distance. Also fibre is too costly.
I too went the WiFi after seriously checking out Fiber and UTP (CAT6) option. It works beautifully, I went with backfire parabolic antennas for better directionality.

Quote:
Also I dont need a speed of more than 10 MBps as the modem of the VSAT connects to the LAN switch at 10 MBPS. (It is a GILAT SKYSTAR modem and the service provider is BHARTI ).
Holy cow! You have a 10MBPS VSAT connection, they are extremely expensive, running up to lakhs of rupees per month. If you don't mind me asking how much are paying for this 10MBPS connection?
Old 14th May 2008, 10:40   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dear all I am still stuck where I am. Wi-fi routers not available at Dibrugarh / Guwahati except Netgear WGR614.
WGR614 is a decent Router/AP (and its cheap at approx 1900). With this router and a pair of good antenna like : WiFi Antenna - Backfire 802.11 Antenna

You should be able to create the link for approx 7 - 8000 Rs.
Old 14th May 2008, 11:36   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
They are normal prices in metros, just get somebody to ship it to you from the closest metrro, say Kolkotta.

Thanks samurai sumitB is helping me in this direction

I too went the WiFi after seriously checking out Fiber and UTP (CAT6) option. It works beautifully, I went with backfire parabolic antennas for better directionality.

Holy cow! You have a 10MBPS VSAT connection, they are extremely expensive, running up to lakhs of rupees per month. If you don't mind me asking how much are paying for this 10MBPS connection?
Shareholders money @ Rs 85,000/- per year

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
WGR614 is a decent Router/AP (and its cheap at approx 1900). With this router and a pair of good antenna like : WiFi Antenna - Backfire 802.11 Antenna

You should be able to create the link for approx 7 - 8000 Rs.
Hi netfreakbombay cannot use WGR614 as its antenna is not detatchable. Anyways thanks for your help
Old 14th May 2008, 12:03   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Dear all I am still stuck where I am. Wi-fi routers not available at Dibrugarh / Guwahati except Netgear WGR614. Price is also sky high. Prices quoted by sumitb is fantastic, but I have not received the delhi dealer's contact info (SumitB pl help). Also let me tell you all more about the proposed link. My father's house cum office has a VSAT terminal which he uses for internet and official mails. The office has five computers which is connected by UTP lan. Now there is a 8 port D-Link 10/100 MBps switch to connect the computers. I want to use one connection out of this switch to connect the computer in my house. I would have gone the UTP lan way had it not been for the distance. Also fibre is too costly. The only thing I could think of is wireless and yesterday a friend of mine said "Why dont you use the old telephone line between your houses to connect the computers, there is a modem/switch which uses telephone lines to network two or more computers" now this is interesting as we have a old telephone line between the houses which is not used anymore. Also I dont need a speed of more than 10 MBps as the modem of the VSAT connects to the LAN switch at 10 MBPS. (It is a GILAT SKYSTAR modem and the service provider is BHARTI ). Please help me make this connection also please provide me a solution where I have to spend a minimum amount of money.

Thanks again to all Bhpians
Lifewater, first things first, let me break up the cost for you for a Wired Link via OFC and the same link via Wireless.

You said that the total distance between the 2 locations is about 700mts. So taking wireless link first:
You need 2 routers. A decent commercially available router will cost you about 2000 each.
You will need 2 omni antennas for the same say at about 1000 each.
Add courier charges from Delhi. 500.

Total for wireless will be about 6500.00

Now if you go for a wired link over OFC.
OFC Cable @ 9 per mt. = 700*9 = 6300
Media converters at both end = 2*1200 = 2400
Patch cords = 200*2 = 400
Enclosure Box = 200*2 = 400
Splicing (2 at each end) = 2*2*200 = 800 (say 1000)
Total = 10500

I do agree that this wired solution will set you aback by 4000 extra but this also gives you peace of mind as in:
1. You said wireless equipment is difficult for you to get from Dibrugarh or Guwahati.
2. You will need to source WiFi equipment from Delhi/Kolkata
3. Even after getting, you will only be sure of it to work once installed but you have no gurantees that the ordered equipment will work for the distance. I say this because I have experienced situations wherein WiFi equipment rated for 2000 mts. have failed on me for 200 mts also.
4. You WiFi vendor will not let you return the equipment once you get it.
5. WiFi will never be as reliable and secured as a Wired connection.

Now why I advice you to go for wired using OFC:
1. You will install it in a tea estate. So no tension of having the wires cut under normal use. You can get the wire strung at the top of the building at both ends and use trees in between to support the cable. You need not bother about the civic authorities as well.
2. Once installed and working, you are guaranteed that the link will work as long as the fibre converters are working. For an example, I have OFC links working without fail for the last 4-5 years. Not a single incident or day of link failure.
3. OFC and its accessoried can be obtained off the shelf from Guwahati. Naresh Radio in Ram Mandir and Cable Quest opposite Naresh Radio have them in plenty. They can also arrange to courier it to you via the night buses. You can pick up from Dibrugarh/Tinsukia. They also have resident OFC machines in Tinsukia/Dibrugarh and will do the splicing for you also.
4. You can contact Sigma for the Fibre Converters. You will need
2 pieces of TR-932D
The price I have is about 1200 each.

At your father's office, you will connect the media convertor to your D-Link switch's port. In you office, you will directly connect it to your computer's ethernet port. You will have a 100Mbps LAN with your father's office. No wireless will be able to beat that.

As far as a wireless router which can be modded is concerned, I can give you details for the ones available but you will have to source it from Delhi but if you mod it there warranty will be void and you will not be able to do anything about it.

If I was in your place, I would go in for the wired link.

@Samurai: I am sure he means that the IDU for the VSAT has an ethernet port which connects at 10Mbps. The actual internet link provided by his VSAT provider cannot be more than 128kbps or 256kbps. Even that will cost a bomb. Possible choices for a VSAT link will be HCL Comnet or Bharti. I am sure LifeWater will clarify.

Last edited by SumitB : 14th May 2008 at 12:07.

Most Viewed