Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2008, 12:26   #91
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifewater View Post
Hi netfreakbombay cannot use WGR614 as its antenna is not detatchable. Anyways thanks for your help
I have this router (WGR614 V4) that has detachable antenna. I bought it in 2005, but specs might changed since then.

As per specs KWGR614 router from NetGear has antenna that can be replaced.

Or you can got for Linksys but that will cost you 500 more per router.
Old 14th May 2008, 12:38   #92
BHPian

Most low end wireless routers priced between (2000 and 3000) will now come with non-detachable antennas. Linksys used to have very good routers in the form of WRT54G and WRT54GS but now their new versions use a different chipset which is not compatible with any 3rd party firmware. The older versions will be very difficult to obtain. ASUS has some good wireless routers but you will not get them in Eastern India and I have no details of any vendor having them in the other regions of the country but I have heard that they are available.

If you are so adamant on using a WiFi link, then you can get any D-Link router and use the antenna suggested by NetFreak and Samurai. Infact you can contact Neetu of Sigma and ask her if she has any antenna which meets your requirement.

I suggest you take a look at Wireless LAN and decide. Then you can inquire about the availability and price from Sigma. They will be more than willing to courier the products to you. Take my reference and ask for a discount (They know me as Sumit Bajoria from Shillong). Generally she waives off the taxes and courier charges if you pester her.

Last edited by SumitB : 14th May 2008 at 12:40.
Old 14th May 2008, 12:40   #93
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifewater View Post
Shareholders money @ Rs 85,000/- per year
That's too cheap... That would be cheap even for 2Mbps, let alone 10MBPS. VSAT can't be that cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post
@Samurai: I am sure he means that the IDU for the VSAT has an ethernet port which connects at 10Mbps. The actual internet link provided by his VSAT provider cannot be more than 128kbps or 256kbps. Even that will cost a bomb. Possible choices for a VSAT link will be HCL Comnet or Bharti. I am sure LifeWater will clarify.
Now, that makes much more sense. I have been told by local Airtel that even ATM connectivity via VSAT costs 5K per month for 10kpbs connections.
Old 14th May 2008, 12:57   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Most low end wireless routers priced between (2000 and 3000) will now come with non-detachable antennas.
Thats bad move on part of Linksys/Netgear. Checked few online shops and most of them come with internal or fixed antenna.

It seems that one particular model KWGR614 has detachable antenna and is available in this range.

Product details : KWGR614 - Open Source Wireless-G Router - NETGEAR.com

Prices :

TheITWares - Routers & Switches
[/SIZE][/FONT]
Old 14th May 2008, 13:01   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
That's too cheap... That would be cheap even for 2Mbps, let alone 10MBPS. VSAT can't be that cheap.

Now, that makes much more sense. I have been told by local Airtel that even ATM connectivity via VSAT costs 5K per month for 10kpbs connections.
I for sure know that Bharti charges 115K per annum for a 1:8 shared link of 128kbps. These links are provided to share brokers.
Old 14th May 2008, 13:38   #96
BHPian

Quote:
I for sure know that Bharti charges 115K per annum for a 1:8 shared link of 128kbps. These links are provided to share brokers.
OOps sorry I forgot to write 1 before the figure. Sorry it is 180000 pa
Old 19th May 2008, 07:11   #97
BHPian

Hi all, I have ordered the TP-Link TL WR542G routers from Sigma and was given a hefty discount(In comparision to Assam dealers). Thanks to SumitB (Bro, you really got a nice reputation with the SIGMA people. Neetu was goung Ga Ga over you). Now since she did not have the 9 dBi antenna in ready stock with her, she put me in touch with one of her tech guys to help me choose an antenna. After listening to my requirements, this person told me "Sir you are ordering a wrong product !!!! what you need is two access points and 10 dbi PATCH antenna. Routers to router link is not possible !!! ). However after browsing the net and also TP -Link website, I insisted on them couriering me the routers. My question now is hope I have made the right decision of getting the routers as discussed with you all (even samurai is using two routers for his link), and what is this PATCH antenna ?? is it better than a directional antenna for my link ? Please help me out soonest possible.

Thank you all and a good day to all Bhpians
Old 20th May 2008, 14:51   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Here is a challenge for you gadget/tech gurus. Say there are two buildings within 500 meters with clear line of sight. What are the different ways to get network connectivity between them? I am thinking point-to-point leased line from BSNL. But is there a better option, anything wireless?

Try a MOTOROLA canopy solution. I have implemented this in Bahrain for a client and it works on 5.7 GHZ you cal also source a MOTOROLA PTP solution which will work out cheaper for you. I can give you the tech specs and contact details of where to get the equipment from in the Middle East. I dont know if it will be ok with the mods that i give out specs and contact info here hence not doing it. If its ok do let me know and I shall provide the data and you can talk to them directly.
Old 15th June 2009, 00:38   #99
Team-BHP Support

I recently upgraded the routers to dd-wrt v24 Sp1. I see that now they offer VLANs. Currently I have connected two Buffalo WHR-54G using WDS. I want to use 2 VLANs. One for external link and another for internal (DMZ).

Since the documentation is lacking, I am not sure how to configure more than one LAN. I tried making first 2 ports in each router as first VLAN and rest two ports on the both as second VLAN. Everything stopped working.

So, how I get VLAN working in WDS? Any thoughts SumitB... you always come through.
Attached Thumbnails
How to connect two buildings via wireless LAN-vlan.jpg  

Old 15th June 2009, 23:59   #100
Team-BHP Support

Hmm, the WDS didn't work properly. So for now I have connected as client bridge mode.

Client Bridged - DD-WRT Wiki

Tomorrow I will be trying for two VLANs again.
Old 24th February 2014, 16:57   #101
Senior - BHPian

WiFi Range Extenders

Hi guys,

Does anyone have experience WiFi range extenders? I am looking for one which I hope will help increase the WiFi range at my residence. I have surfed the internet and come across the Netgear WN3000RP WiFi extender which seems to have good reviews. Its costs around INR 3500 here in Mumbai. My question is how effective are these WiFi extenders? Are they worth it or is it better to just invest in a more powerful WiFi router?
Old 24th February 2014, 17:02   #102
Senior - BHPian

Re: WiFi Range Extenders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
I have surfed the internet and come across the Netgear WN3000RP WiFi extender which seems to have good reviews. Its costs around INR 3500 here in Mumbai. My question is how effective are these WiFi extenders? Are they worth it or is it better to just invest in a more powerful WiFi router?
Check this - WL-330N3G. It does 5 other things along with functioning as a repeater. It was quoted around Rs 2500 on Flipkart.
Old 24th February 2014, 17:05   #103
BHPian

Re: WiFi Range Extenders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
Hi guys,

Does anyone have experience WiFi range extenders? I am looking for one which I hope will help increase the WiFi range at my residence. I have surfed the internet and come across the Netgear WN3000RP WiFi extender which seems to have good reviews. Its costs around INR 3500 here in Mumbai. My question is how effective are these WiFi extenders? Are they worth it or is it better to just invest in a more powerful WiFi router?
I've been using a net gear range extender for a few years now. Been good thus far. However, sometimes the speed through the extender seems slow. That's what speed test indicated. I could check again and let you know. Serves the purpose otherwise.
Probably is a good idea to get a dual channel WiFi router with good range instead.
Old 21st November 2017, 17:12   #104
Team-BHP Support

re: How to connect two buildings via wireless LAN

I just came across the following Reddit comment that made me think of this very old thread:

Quote:
They’re using Ubiquiti gear. It’s fantastic and inexpensive. We use under $100 worth of gear to beam our internet at home to our office that’s 3/4 of a mile away.
From this Reddit discussion

All the comments say the Ubiquiti stuff is really affordable & good!

Eg. https://www.ubnt.com/airmax/litebeam-ac-ap/

https://www.ubnt.com/airmax/litebeam-ac-gen2/

Last edited by Rehaan : 21st November 2017 at 17:14.
Old 21st November 2017, 17:24   #105
Team-BHP Support

re: How to connect two buildings via wireless LAN

Thanks for the bump Rehaan. This reminds me that my wifi bridge is now over 10 years old, and the same equipment is still working flawlessly.

Originally, I created this to provide Internet access to my office from my home. But I have reversed the routers few years ago. Since the office has leased line now, I get Internet at home from my office.

This Litebeam is available on Amazon india. Good option if I have to replace my setup.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks