Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2007, 20:14   #1
Team-BHP Support

How to connect two buildings via wireless LAN

Here is a challenge for you gadget/tech gurus. Say there are two buildings within 500 meters with clear line of sight. What are the different ways to get network connectivity between them? I am thinking point-to-point leased line from BSNL. But is there a better option, anything wireless?
Old 22nd February 2007, 20:22   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Here is a challenge for you gadget/tech gurus. Say there are two buildings within 500 meters with clear line of sight. What are the different ways to get network connectivity between them? I am thinking point-to-point leased line from BSNL. But is there a better option, anything wireless?
Hey I am not a gadget guru, but you can try this:
use a couple of bluetooth dongles - one on your computer and the other for the computer on the opposite building. Voila you get a cheap wire-less connectivity.
Check this link for a dongles with 500 m range:

Shop Online; Gift in India: ,* Orchid Bluetooth Adaptor 500 meter range - 8x Faster,* Electronics,* Home & Office,* Computer Accessories,* Cables and Connections Buy mobile phones, Gift Flowers, Buy Indian Apparel, Buy Books in India, Buy Cameras

likewise search for a 600 m range if you wish to.
Old 22nd February 2007, 20:34   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
but you can try this:
use a couple of bluetooth dongles - one on your computer and the other for the computer on the opposite building. Voila you get a cheap wire-less connectivity.
You're kidding, right?
Old 22nd February 2007, 20:35   #4
Team-BHP Support

Bluetooth may be too radical for this distance. Besides, I need this to be encrypted link.

How about this solution:

Ultimate Range Mobile Kit || Mobile Wifi Kit
Old 22nd February 2007, 20:45   #5
BHPian

If your distance is 500m and you have a clear LoS (Line of Sight) then I suggest that you get a pair of Linksys WRT54G or the GS routers and hack the firmware and install the DDWRT firmware www.dd-wrt.com

I have this kind of setup for my work. The routers cost me 2750 each in Delhi.

If you feel the link is too weak then you can get an external antenna and get the thing to zoom.....
Old 22nd February 2007, 20:52   #6
Senior - BHPian

Standard Wireless Apaters should serve the purpose if I aint wrong ?
I would suggest to check on D-Link , since its easily available in India Samurai.

D-Link Wireless Home Networking
Old 22nd February 2007, 20:53   #7
Team-BHP Support

we had wireless link connecting networks of two office buildings approx 800 mts line of vision, but there were some issues since a water body was in between and in summer it used to create havoc (atleast that was the justification given), also during heavy rains, basically the link will go up and down, it was used for about a year and finally discarded. if this is as a stop gap arrangement would suggest coz it ran 80% fine and can get details of the vendor if interested.
Old 22nd February 2007, 20:54   #8
BHPian

Not sure about your place, but in mine, I would think of burying a line if its in the same compound.

Or else Wifi would be the better option I guess.
Old 22nd February 2007, 20:56   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
You're kidding, right?
whats wrong, isnt it reliable or will there be any security reasons?? or may be its speed is low..
or
its too cheap

BTW, the idea I have suggested, Does it work???. I dont know either

Quote:
Bluetooth may be too radical for this distance. Besides, I need this to be encrypted link.

How about this solution:

Ultimate Range Mobile Kit || Mobile Wifi Kit
I think thats better option, considering the speeds and range given in the specs.

Last edited by kkr2k2 : 22nd February 2007 at 21:01.
Old 22nd February 2007, 20:59   #10
Senior - BHPian

I dont think a standard wireless router will do the job. they claim a range of 30-50 m which is severely hampered by any obstructions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
whats wrong, isnt it reliable or will there be any security reasons?? or may be its speed is low..
or
its too cheap

BTW, the idea I have suggested, Does it work???. I dont know either
Bluetooth doesnt go over 500m. plus i dont think it will be able to offer fast enough speeds

Last edited by khanak : 22nd February 2007 at 21:01.
Old 22nd February 2007, 21:00   #11
BHPian

Another Suggestion

I have posted a reply for Linksys Routers but it did not show up till now.

I would strongly suggest and recommend the WiFi route. You may have to twek it to work but it will surely work. Regarding the BSNL leased line, why pay them every year when you can do it for probably peanuts compared to a leased line. If you need help with distributors for Linksys Routers in Delhi just let me know. I will help you get a good deal.

I am i the process of establishing a 1.5km clear LoS link for a client of mine. I am employing the use of directional parabolic antennas with WRT54G. The whole setup as tested gives me a good 11Mbps link in extreme conditions in Shillong (0-5degrees with 90% humidity).

Dlink wireless routers suck big time. Don't buy them.
Old 22nd February 2007, 21:04   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak View Post
Bluetooth doesnt go over 500m. plus i dont think it will be able to offer fast enough speeds
may be I was wrong, but just check the link I have posted in my first post. If there can be a 500 m range Bluetooth then for over 500 m range, you can get 600 m range bluetooth dongle, or may be the seller is bluffing.

Last edited by kkr2k2 : 22nd February 2007 at 21:07.
Old 22nd February 2007, 21:07   #13
SUV
BHPian

You should Look at a Outdoor WiFi Solution, the maximum range available is about 5 KM depending on the Model used. The average Speed should be about 35 - 40 MBPS. PM Me for Vendor Contact Information
Old 22nd February 2007, 21:23   #14
BHPian

Outdoor WiFi solutions if I understand correctly are professional systems used by service providers? The costs will be exorbitantly high. The Linksys solution can be installed at a maximum of 3500 per site which gives you 7000 for 2 locations to be connected.

Regarding reliability, I have had no failures in 2 years (touch wood) and over 32 installations.
Old 22nd February 2007, 21:57   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Tulip(Tulip IT Services Ltd.) wireless line-of-sight broadband link. We've deployed it at 2 of our campuses 2 kms apart on the same LAN. 99.9% uptime guaranteed/confirmed.

Last edited by theMAG : 22nd February 2007 at 22:01.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks