Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2007, 19:58   #16
BANNED

Steeroid ... This is a very interesting revelation !! I really do need a phone that can carry two diff sims with both being active at the same time -- how much should a phone like that cost and where is a good place to get a phone like that from .. ???

One for work and one for personal .... at this point Im carrying two phones and its a nuisance , not to think ppl looking at me as if Im MAD or showing off !!! Pls advise .... ASAP

Cheers
Old 3rd March 2007, 20:08   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaadu75 View Post
how much should a phone like that cost and where is a good place to get a phone like that from .. ???
The Yulong CoolPAD costs about Rs.22k, but then its a Windows Mobile 5 PDA as well.

I have not used this thing, but most Windows Based devices are made by 3 or 4 OEM suppliers in Taiwan or China. Then they're Branded as HP iPaq, iMate, Qtek, et al and sold around the world.

So I'm guessing there cant be much that can go wrong with it except for the known Microsoft issues.
Old 3rd March 2007, 20:19   #18
Senior - BHPian

When hutch was called orange in Mumbai there was a certain scheme were you could have two numbers on the same SIM card,not sure if it exists anymore kindly check with Hutch.

Here's the link:
The Hindu Business Line : Two numbers in one SIM card

MAY 2002- Orange, cellular service in the metro circle of Mumbai, has announced it will offer two different mobile numbers to customers on a single SIM card.

But here's another online article:

Get 2 numbers on your mobile soon

You will soon be able to use both your business and personal mobile numbers from a single handset. To be launched in 2007, a dual number service will be available on a single SIM card. But both the connections will have to be from one service provider. The screen of a handset will display the receiver’s number and the caller's as well.In India, Ireland-based value-added services products company AePona is talking to operators like Bharti, BSNL, Reliance, Hutch and Idea to launch the service in the next 12 months.

The service promises to enhance ARPUs (average revenue per user) and reduce customer churn significantly. It can also work for both pre-paid and post-paid numbers simultaneously.Nokia is also believed to have developed the application, which is in the testing phase.

There are also mobile phones like the Daewoo DX20, which can carry two SIM cards. “The dual number service, however, uses an application that's inserted in the network. So, when a call comes to either of the numbers, it is routed to the same SIM.

Source:
Get 2 numbers on your mobile soon

Last edited by rahul_intlad : 3rd March 2007 at 20:31.
Old 3rd March 2007, 20:35   #19
BANNED

Hi Guys,

After some browsing found the phone I had seen. Giving the link to the specs and image below.

[img=http://img358.imageshack.us/img358/1694/dualsimphonejw3.jpg]

Dual SIM phone Manufacturer

Now can the experts say whether it is a good buy at 8.5k

Viper
Old 3rd March 2007, 20:39   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_intlad View Post
To be launched in 2007, a dual number service will be available on a single SIM card.
Err....BPL Mobile had this back in 1997.

Quote:
In India, Ireland-based value-added services products company AePona is talking to operators like Bharti, BSNL, Reliance, Hutch and Idea to launch the service in the next 12 months.
and we didnt need an Ireland-base VAS products company either!

Quote:
Nokia is also believed to have developed the application, which is in the testing phase.
We did this on the Nokia DX2000, so what are they "developing" now?

Quote:
The dual number service, however, uses an application that's inserted in the network. So, when a call comes to either of the numbers, it is routed to the same SIM.

Yup. This is not rocket-science!
Old 3rd March 2007, 20:41   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper View Post
[img=http://img358.imageshack.us/img358/1694/dualsimphonejw3.jpg]

Dual SIM phone Manufacturer

Now can the experts say whether it is a good buy at 8.5k

Viper

For 8.5 k, BUY IT. While you're about it, buy me one too (I'm serious)! Check if he has the S-689 shown on the same site, if not pick this one up for me.

Last edited by Steeroid : 3rd March 2007 at 20:48.
Old 3rd March 2007, 21:10   #22
BANNED

Hi Steer,

He is expecting 2 more models in 2 weeks time but he does not know which ones. Let me know if you still want me to pick this one up. I think all the other models will be more expensive.

Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
For 8.5 k, BUY IT. While you're about it, buy me one too (I'm serious)! Check if he has the S-689 shown on the same site, if not pick this one up for me.

Last edited by viper : 3rd March 2007 at 21:12.
Old 3rd March 2007, 21:29   #23
BANNED

Quote:
Hey, U sure this is a good buy .. also it will allow one to put in two sim cards even if they are of diff operators and have both the SIMS active at the same time ??? I dont need the fancy features ... just the basic messaging , calling and phone book feature .

Maybe I shud call Viper and ask him to get one for me as well ............ tick on one Steeroid - YES/NO

Cheers
Old 3rd March 2007, 21:32   #24
BANNED

Hi Khaadu,

Yes it will work with Sims of 2 different operators. I took a demo with a BPL and a Airtel card. Worked just fine. Maybe I should start mktg the same.

Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaadu75 View Post
Hey, U sure this is a good buy .. also it will allow one to put in two sim cards even if they are of diff operators and have both the SIMS active at the same time ???
Cheers
Old 3rd March 2007, 21:47   #25
BANNED

Quote:
Hi Khaadu,

Yes it will work with Sims of 2 different operators. I took a demo with a BPL and a Airtel card. Worked just fine. Maybe I should start mktg the same.

Viper
Viper, There goes your biz mind once again ..... maybe I can start doing the same in Delhi ??? Just hope its not a typical low grade Chinese product that goes of in 15 days time after purchase .....

Cheers
Old 3rd March 2007, 21:54   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Maybe I should start mktg the same.

Viper

i'm surprised you arent already doing that
btw, it will go well with your parrot brand!!

manson.
Old 3rd March 2007, 22:08   #27
Senior - BHPian

Steer ,why hasn't the concept of dual sim card phones not caught up with the more popular cellphone manufacturers,its really been a long time since people talked about wanting a phone with two sim cards.

Also in case of dual sim cards at present ,suppose you recieve a call on a sim card of one service provider and while you are attending the call ,somebody calls you on the other number[by another service provider] what would happen,isnt call waiting/hold facility provided at the service provider end or does the phone take care of it.

Last edited by rahul_intlad : 3rd March 2007 at 22:14.
Old 3rd March 2007, 22:13   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Steer ,why hasn't the concept of dual sim card phones caught up with the more popular cellphone manufacturers,its really been a long time since people talked about wanting a phone with two sim cards.
Simple. Two radios simultaneously = twice the battery consumption + twice as much space for most of the internal electronics.

Who wants a phone that weighs twice as much and lasts half as long as others?
Old 3rd March 2007, 22:23   #29
Senior - BHPian

Well the mob looks kool .. I was checking other products too i liked Dual SIM phone Manufacturer and Dual SIM phone Manufacturer (this one better).

Viper, if the supplier gets any of the above models in the next coming weeks do let us know.
Old 3rd March 2007, 22:30   #30
BANNED

Quote:
Who wants a phone that weighs twice as much and lasts half as long as others?
It says weight as 104 gms ... though the battery life aint mentioned !!!

Last edited by khaadu75 : 3rd March 2007 at 22:33.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks