Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2020, 12:10   #1
BHPian

EU pushes for a common charger for all smartphones & portable devices

Source: Article on 18.9.20 in TOI

- This week, members of the EU Parliament held a hearing on a measure to require smartphone makers to produce a common charger for all mobile and portable devices, including tablets, e-readers and digital cameras.

- The goal: no more frustration at borrowing a friend’s charger only to find it has a Lightning connector when you need a USB-C.

- In addition to matter of convenience, it's also a way to reduce electronic waste.

- Chargers are estimated to produce more than 51,000 metric tonnes of waste annually in the EU alone.

- “We are drowning in an ocean of electronic waste,” said Roza Thun, a member from Poland. “Demand grows and with it waste and exploitation of natural resources.”

- Officials also say that a common kind of charger would reduce consumers’ cost because devices could be sold without a dedicated charger.

- This week’s effort was the third attempt to untangle charging devices in more than a decade.

- There are now three major types of charging plugs, according to the European Consumer Organisation: USB 2.0 Micro B, USB-C and Apple’s Lightning.

- At the hearing, members of the Parliament lamented the failure to legislate a universal charger blaming industry for thwarting measures.

- Apple previously objected to the EU’s proposal. A year ago, the company argued that a single standard would make current chargers obsolete, it added, which is “bad for the environment and unnecessarily disruptive for customers.”

I think it's a great thought and effort by the EU to reduce e-waste. An idea which should be adopted worldwide without any delay. When household appliances from different brands can run on a single type of plug or socket then why can't smartphones or other e-devices. Even EVs are developed to be charged from a single type of plug.

I think the device makers adopt the strategy of different chargers to mint money. No wonder Apple suggested against adopting common charger citing a frivolous argument and their chargers are atrociously expensive.

This would be very cost effective too for the end consumer. I use an iphone and my dad uses one from Samsung. So currently we have to keep both the chargers handy at our home, office and factory. In all 6 chargers. this situation can be managed by only 4 chargers if it were to be a common charger for both the brands (2 at home and 1 each at office and factory). Moreover what if i decide to switch to Note pro 8 which i am currently deliberating.

If a common charger is adopted, then the makers should also be forced to sell the phone without any charger in the box. Because most of us would be able to use our old charger.
bmw_lover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2020, 16:08   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: EU pushes for a common charger for all smartphones & portable devices

Used to be "anyone has patli pin ka charger? ". Nowadays, it's anyone has an apple charger?
I'm glad they're coming out with this. It's just a pain while travelling and ensuring that the micro, type c and the proprietary charger for my Sony Tab is in the bag. However, we're a long way from the sheer madness that it was in the days when each brand had a supremely weird charger and separate data cable.
Old 19th January 2020, 19:05   #3
BHPian

re: EU pushes for a common charger for all smartphones & portable devices

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_lover View Post
Source: Article on 18.9.20 in TOI
- Apple previously objected to the EU’s proposal. A year ago, the company argued that a single standard would make current chargers obsolete, it added, which is “bad for the environment and unnecessarily disruptive for customers.”
Apple would want you to buy a new charger with every new version of their phone and also buy charging cables every 2 months as they break so often. Expensive junk.

Standard charger is not a new idea, and it has been implemented widely by USB standards. Every phone maker has adopted it. It is only Apple that sticks out like a sour thumb. USB 3.0 is far superior to Lightning whatever. Apple uses USB 3.0 on MacBooks but somehow it is not good enough for iPhones. If there is a 2 faced corporates contest, Apple will come first every year.
Old 20th January 2020, 11:05   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: EU pushes for a common charger for all smartphones & portable devices

I fully support this. It is quite dumb to have different types of chargers for different devices when the basic functionality, purpose & technology is the same. Why can't the guys just standardise it? It's silly enough to have so many kinds of chargers in the house, but I can't even imagine what it's like for those who travel frequently.
Old 20th January 2020, 11:05   #5
Senior - BHPian

Re: Common charger for all mobile phones

Quote:
- In addition to matter of convenience, it's also a way to reduce electronic waste.

Apple didnt use the same logic when they eliminated the head phone jack! Which by same logic, made all the current headphones useless.

I think its time legislature shows some teeth in all countries and put a foot down on e-waste. Fast Fashion, is not influencing Fast Electronics.

I am glad, that the mobile tech has plateaued and I dont feel like replacing my OnePlus 3 even today (6GB Ram).

The next legislature must be on replaceable batteries so that phones can be used longer. This as working till, Apple again, stopped this practice! I think the environmental impact of Apple will be in the same league as some Oil OEMs.
Old 20th January 2020, 12:09   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Instead of a single charger pin design, I feel all phones should come equipped with Qi charging or Wireless charging. I've been using wireless charging since at least 6 years now with my Samsung phone and it's the most convenient way to charge. In the last couple of years, more and more iphone owners in my office are come to my desk and charge their phones using my wireless charger.
Wireless chargers are now becoming a feature in more and more cars, we have furniture like tables (I saw one in IKEA) with Wireless charging, Powerbanks have started to come with Wireless charging. It's the most convenient way IMO.
Old 20th January 2020, 12:19   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Wireless chargers are now becoming a feature in more and more cars, we have furniture like tables (I saw one in IKEA) with Wireless charging, Powerbanks have started to come with Wireless charging. It's the most convenient way IMO.
Wireless chargers require wire themselves, so no real environmental benefit there. Also, this will give manufacturers an opportunity to escalate prices further, by adding this new feature.

I see no benefit a wireless charger brings over a normal charger for a mobile.

But a parking lot with wireless charging will be a great convenience for EVs.
Old 20th January 2020, 13:03   #8
BHPian

Sorry, it tramples upon freedom.

I do not know why there are fans for nanny states who tells us what we should do and not do. Govts should keep its heads out of businesses.
civic-sense is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2020, 13:08   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
- The goal: no more frustration at borrowing a friend’s charger only to find it has a Lightning connector when you need a USB-C.
Most of the chargers today are nothing but USB type A sockets rated at 5V and 1+ amps. You just plug in a suitable cable as per device. Eg, in my home, we have all micro USB and lighting and USB C being used. Doesn't mean each device can be charged only by the supplied charger. Infact, we have Aukey 3/5 port chargers at home where one plugs in their devices to charge.

Quote:
- Officials also say that a common kind of charger would reduce consumers’ cost because devices could be sold without a dedicated charger.
A better idea would instead be to sell phones minus the chargers. Consumers can pick and choose whatever is the most suitable.

Quote:
- There are now three major types of charging plugs, according to the European Consumer Organisation: USB 2.0 Micro B, USB-C and Apple’s Lightning.
Each have different price points, features and target clients (and use). Combining the same in one standard will unnecessarily increase cost and complexity for those not requiring all the features. As an example, say for example you want to assume USB C as standard. So a cable capable of delivering 120W (for laptop) will be used for a phone needing 12W as well.
Old 20th January 2020, 13:26   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post

I do not know why there are fans for nanny states who tells us what we should do and not do. Govts should keep its heads out of businesses.
Freedom for whom? Freedom for the businesses to do what they fancy? It is high time that we need some regulations around use of electronics. It is in one way or the other a major pollutant. If through these regulations such electronic waste is reduced, even by just a fraction, it is definitely a welcome move!
Old 20th January 2020, 16:14   #11
BHPian

If at all it boils down to one type of charger for mobile phones I would prefer to have it in the likes of Apple lightning charger. It's a no-nonsense charger which can be connected with eyes closed. It simply has a flat pin on the cable and a matching hole in the phone. But USB-C cables having a hole in them which connects to the protruding pin inside the charging port of the phone makes them, in my opinion, more fragile.
Old 20th January 2020, 17:28   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by emkay.india View Post
If at all it boils down to one type of charger for mobile phones I would prefer to have it in the likes of Apple lightning charger. It's a no-nonsense charger which can be connected with eyes closed. It simply has a flat pin on the cable and a matching hole in the phone. But USB-C cables having a hole in them which connects to the protruding pin inside the charging port of the phone makes them, in my opinion, more fragile.
I too like the lighting connector and wish it was similar in all my phones. But other people like USB-C. Later another company may come up with a better kind of connector. So it is better to have choices and let people choose what they want. Not make the whole world use what I like.
Old 20th January 2020, 17:48   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by emkay.india View Post
If at all it boils down to one type of charger for mobile phones I would prefer to have it in the likes of Apple lightning charger. ...... in my opinion, more fragile.
True this. I can blindly put my phone for charging in the dark or in a semi woken state with the lightning cable, but not so with the USB's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
Wireless chargers require wire themselves, so no real environmental benefit there.
A charging mat can be shared across devices and we get multiple unit charging mats now-a-days. 1 pad can be used to charge 2 devices, thus reducing the cable for the 2nd one. Since Qi charging is somewhat standardised, one could do away with packing cables in a box, if all phones came with a wireless charging capability.
Old 20th January 2020, 18:48   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

I am not sure I really like this. I am not sure how big a problem it really is.

I have apple devices and on the rare occasion I have forgotten my charger, it is not a problem finding somebody who has a charger.

As we expect our battery times to increase upon every new phone model, it is likely that some adjustments on the chargers might be required too.
What might make more sense is to not include a charger with every phone. I have seven identical Apple charger sitting here on my desk. That would really cut down on E-waste too!

I do not like legislators prescribing this sort of stuff. Don’t they have more relevant, more urgent, matters to attend?

Jeroen
Old 21st January 2020, 02:51   #15
Senior - BHPian

I think it is time we do this. I've a powerbank with Micro USB, a Pixel 3A with a USB C, and an iPad with lightning. I wouldn't need 3 chargers if I had the same type of port. Except Android Auto/Apple CarPlay I doubt people use a cable to sync data.
Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
True. Imagine how the air would have looked without any vehicle emissions and industrial pollution regulations in effect? Our E-waste is creating a lot of pollution in the soil (landfills) and water. Recycling is not efficient, so E-waste is a huge problem in the world now.

When a problem goes out of hand, regulations must be imposed.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 21st January 2020 at 02:53.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks