Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2014, 15:49   #2026
BHPian

re: The "Online Shopping" Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Disagree man.
Within the space of half an hour close to midnight, I saw the 5s price go from 34k with coupon (from croma) to 34k without coupon from some third party to 38k without coupon on Amazon.

in the morning it was in the 36k range or so again.
And if you check more closely you would know that it's different sellers selling on different prices. I have seen the prices fluctuate in space of 30 minutes as well. In one day it went from anywhere between 32k to 37k - but all different sellers.

We are all deal-hunters: We are but that cannot be overshadowed by bad CC. Would I buy from FK - Only when the price is severely low than Amazon or FK has an exclusive tie up with the brand/company.
Old 9th October 2014, 16:00   #2027
Senior - BHPian

Amazon Gift Card buying experience

Hi guys,

I bought Amazon gift card on 4th October from Amazon.in. This is sold and fulfilled by QwikCilver Solutions Pvt. Ltd. This is my first order (out of 50 orders - 12 in 2013 and 38 in 2014) which is not fulfilled by Amazon. I religiously follow a rule to buy from Amazon only if fulfilled by Amazon and from Flipkart only if seller is WSRetail. I bought this because Amazon sent me emails promoting this gift card and it was being promoted on their homepage also. So, I thought I can trust them.

So, I bought it on 4th October and got Blue Dart tracking number (40559958552) same day (on 4th Oct). But here is the catch, "QwikCilver Solutions" did not ship it. They actually shipped it on 7th October and I got it on 8th October.

Name:  Screenshot 2158.png
Views: 979
Size:  28.6 KB

In the meantime, I bought 2 more gift cards on 6th October. Again I got the the tracking number same day (on 4th Oct) but they have not been dispatched till today (not trackable in Blue Dart's website).

But there is more than just delay and giving false information about shipping.

Yesterday, I tried to add this gift card to my account. When I enter 14 digit Gift Card Code, I got error message :

"We had a problem redeeming your gift card.

We are unable to validate the gift card code you have entered. Please recheck the gift card code and try adding it again to your account."

The Online Shopping Thread-screenshot-2154.png

I contacted Amazon customer care and QwikCilver Solutions. Both assured to fix it as soon as possible but nothing happened so far. So the fact is even after 5 days, I am not able to buy stuff which is there in cart/wishlist.

If any BHPian is planning to buy Amazon gift cards, be prepared for this.
Old 9th October 2014, 16:20   #2028
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driverace View Post

I didn't get your point. Could you please explain what you meant there?

Ace.
Article calls snapdeal as a "lesser known site for online shopping till few weeks ago" in reality snapdeal is 12th most visited site in India. This really shows that author doesn't have a good idea about the market.
Old 9th October 2014, 16:22   #2029
Senior - BHPian

Here's an interesting techie's perspective on the BBD sale:
http://www.quora.com/What-is-Flipkar...lion-Day-sales
Old 9th October 2014, 16:33   #2030
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
I completely second that, especially on orders fulfilled by Amazon!

No false promises, no huge discounting gimmicks (decent discounts are always available), no spending on advertising blitzkriegs, no taunting/mocking the competition, good virtual infrastructure, customer support & logistics departments and a solid customer centric approach overall. Just plain old professionalism!
With regards to the part i had highlighted in bold, looks like you missed the fact where Amazon purchased the domain bigbillionday.com, and used this to lure people from Flipkart to Amazon.
Old 9th October 2014, 16:38   #2031
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Here's an interesting techie's perspective on the BBD sale:
http://www.quora.com/What-is-Flipkar...lion-Day-sales
All, do read the comments below as well

People are questioning his script, and some posting screenshots of the "90% Steal Deals" they actually got (obviously those are few in number, and not criticizing FK, just like me!)
Old 9th October 2014, 16:42   #2032
Distinguished - BHPian

Any experiences with http://www.snapdeal.com/offers/laptop-buyback?

I have 2 old '09 Dell laptops - 1 with a heating problem and the other with a battery problem (works only on AC). Was thinking of trading them for a new one.
Old 9th October 2014, 17:43   #2033
Team-BHP Support

Flipkart has announced the winners for the gift vouchers and the Thailand holiday trip. In the T&C they've mentioned this:

Quote:
Residents of the State of Tamil Nadu and wherever else prohibited by law, shall not be entitled to participate in this contest.
Why's that? The recent verdict?
Old 9th October 2014, 18:05   #2034
BHPian

I got my FK order delivery today - a set of size 11 Adidas outdoors shoes. No problems in delivery and the date of manufacturing is Jan 14. Its good to see from the label that the manufacturing process is now in India. These are slightly heavier than running shoes and the material is tougher. At Rs 1845, I consider this a good buy.

The Online Shopping Thread-dsc00455.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Flipkart has announced the winners for the gift vouchers and the Thailand holiday trip. In the T&C they've mentioned this:

Tamil Nadu has the distinction of being the only state in India to pass a law restricting prizes - no doubt there was some complicated reasoning behind it. The law is called the Tamil Nadu Prize Schemes (Prohibition) Act, 1979. Section 3 of the law prohibits Prize Schemes -- defined to mean any scheme by whatever name called whereby any prize or gift (whether by way of money or by movable or immovable property) is offered, or is proposed to be given or delivered to one or more persons to be determined by lot, draw or in any other manner from among person who purchase or have purchased goods or other articles from shops, centers or any other places ....
Old 9th October 2014, 18:05   #2035
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post

Residents of the State of Tamil Nadu and wherever else prohibited by law, shall not be entitled to participate in this contest.

Not recent - more than a decade old. All sorts of lotteries, lucky draws etc. are banned in TN.
Old 9th October 2014, 18:33   #2036
BHPian

My recent Online shopping experience.

I ordered a couple of Moto X second generation from Flipkart on BBD sale(on exchange with galaxy grand I9082). The process was pretty cumbersome as the servers kept on crashing. SInce Flipkart was the only retailer fro Moto X had no other choice. But overall happy to pick the phones for 22k each after exchange and 2k cashback on citibank card. The product was confirmed on 7th and nothing since then.

I was under the impression that Flipkart was efficient with their deliveries. But that does not seem to be the case.

The same day I was ready to purchase a 40" Led TV but Flipkart rejected the sale last minute saying that delivery is not available to Hyderabad. Seriously what is the point of listing the products if they don't deliver across the country.

Did anyone else experience Markup of MRP on flipkart website. I ordered 2 HDMI cables last week. Price listed on Flipkart was 599/- while the box delivered has MRP of 499/- . I considered this as an oversight on flipkart's part. But on BBD sale a lot of people seemed to have this issue.

I just hope Flipkart does not mess up what they have built over the last few years. Reputation like this will kill the brand really quick.

Never tried snapdeal but ordered a few items from amazon. Amazon delivery was pretty slow a year back but they seem to have improved a lot now. HDMI switch that I ordered from Amazon was not sealed and there was no MRP. I am not worried about the seal(amazon fulfilled) but shouldn't the box have MRP?
Old 9th October 2014, 18:53   #2037
BHPian

Just see the below screen shot from Dell India Web site about Amazon India purchases.

Comments please..
Attached Thumbnails
The Online Shopping Thread-screenshot_20141009184706.png  

Old 9th October 2014, 20:10   #2038
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvrchandra View Post
Just see the below screen shot from Dell India Web site about Amazon India purchases.

Comments please..
I remember Nikon saying something similar about Flipkart.

Don't the companies want online sales?? What are the firms afraid of? Are discounts really hurting them so much. As far as I read many of the electronic products and consumer durables have very heavy margins. And they are the ones who seem to stop the online sales? When they can increase the reach beyond tier II towns online, why the fuss?

is there any collusion so that B&M stores can retain their margins. A lot of B&M store dealers selling pitch is products sold online are not covered under warranties. The premium you pay is for getting warranty etc.

This BBD sale seems to be starting one big mess. The Ministry , CCI and every tom dick and harry wants to pitch in. And really ho much did flipkart sell at steep discounts. Got to see how this will unfold in the near future.
Old 9th October 2014, 21:07   #2039
Senior - BHPian

I missed this thread and should have checked earlier just after the BigBillionDay fiasco of a sale.

Well, to be honest, I have had delivery issues with Amazon too but most of the time, they have been really good. In that sense, I've never had a problem with Flipkart at all. But for me, the BBD sale was a scam. No, listen me out.

I seriously didn't want to buy anything that day. But I was checking the site for deals since some friends wanted some of the stuff on offer. And after being so successful in ordering 3 Redmi phones and 2 Mi3's, I was asked to try my luck here too.

My main problems with the sale were - the hiking of prices before sale and the cancellation of valid, paid orders. I mean, I really don't buy the apology that something sinister happened about the pricing - they displayed the non-discounted prices etc. And worse - you cancel orders that were paid for - since you said the actual products were out of stock when you actually paid for it. Wow, so did I pay for an empty product? But the product was "in stock" when I paid for it?

Well, the thing is, for me, that was a purely empty apology - they could have tried to get back their customers by at least giving something in their Flipkart wallet.

But this will also be soon forgotten. It's not like everyone is going to stop buying from Flipkart. Neither will I. But I will make sure that it is the last place I shop at online.

Oh and I've read some people mention that we must stand by Flipkart just because it is an Indian company. Well, that logic certainly eludes me. They're all here for the money. Your's and mine. It is just business at the end of the day.

Last edited by naveenroy : 9th October 2014 at 21:10.
Old 9th October 2014, 21:43   #2040
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post
Did anyone else experience Markup of MRP on flipkart website. I ordered 2 HDMI cables last week. Price listed on Flipkart was 599/- while the box delivered has MRP of 499/- . I considered this as an oversight on flipkart's part. But on BBD sale a lot of people seemed to have this issue.
Just few pages back I have depicted a screen shot from Flipkart's site that shows the MRP of Nokia Lumia 1020 as 63000/-. One of my colleagues in office actually managed to order one for around 12000/- , and it was delivered today. The box has an MRP of 26000/-

How can MRP change? I was always of the impression that the sale price fluctuates, but MRP always remains constant.

We normally pay around 30/- for a 600 ml pet jar of Coke (for e.g.). However, the same is available at Dominos (for e.g.) with an MRP of 50/-; but it clearly states - ONLY FOR SALE THROUGH SPECIAL CHANNELS. Same is applicable on juice cans in airlines as well.

Quote:
I am not worried about the seal(amazon fulfilled) but shouldn't the box have MRP?
I got my MI 10400 mAh powerbank delivered day before yesterday, ordered via Flipkart. It had its MRP wiped out when I opened and checked the package. And it was through WS Retail. For me it was like rubbing salt to the wound!! Again, screenshot available few pages back.

Most Viewed