Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2015, 14:40   #2821
BHPian

re: The "Online Shopping" Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Speaking from my experience you can shop from any of these online portals- Pepperfry/Fabfurnish/UL. They do have some lovely coffee tables and TV units made of hardwood and their service has been exemplary. The only compromise is the waiting period.

Also when it comes to particle board, it s a big NO from me. I usually try and stay away from products made of it.
I have bought 2 side tables from Pepperfry in Jan 2013. If you look at the pictures of furniture on pepperfry, you will notice the whitish dirt on the pictures. When I pointed this out to the customer support guy, he said he hadnt noticed, but it could be saw dust. I went ahead and ordered anyway and must say, i am extremely disappointed with my purchase. It took i think 60 days or so for reaching me and the finish was very poor. It was extremely dirty and certain edges were not smooth, showed it had been chiseled by hand. The draws dont open smoothly and it rocks too. About a couple of months into my purchase I noticed a crack on top and realized it is just broken pieces of wood that they somehow manage to stick together. On the whole a very poor purchase and will never recommend pepperfry to anyone.
Old 19th February 2015, 16:35   #2822
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
... On the whole a very poor purchase and will never recommend pepperfry to anyone.
Yikes!

We have been looking at ordering beds and stuff from Pepper Fry for quite some time now.

But based on your feedback, I'd say I'm extremely hesitant now.

Anyone else here order stuff from Urban Ladder & Pepper Fry? Please share your views.

We've often wondered how stuff could be sold for such a low price. I guess now we understand.
Old 19th February 2015, 16:48   #2823
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav9385 View Post
Yikes!

We've often wondered how stuff could be sold for such a low price. I guess now we understand.
Well it wasnt that cheap. I paid 8249 for two bedside tables. I see bedside tables usually between 3-5k in most sales eg @home. I didnt think i was getting it cheap. Only benefit was i got the height i wanted and a design closer to what i was looking for. An empty slot to push in all remotes and devices just before sleep. Gap for a wire to come out for a spike buster that could be used to charge devices.
The major irritant was that once ordered you dont know what you get till it is delivered and the item is not returnable. That sucked.
Old 19th February 2015, 17:26   #2824
BHPian

Quote:
...The major irritant was that once ordered you dont know what you get till it is delivered and the item is not returnable. That sucked.
What the duck?!?

So what happened to all the ad's they show on TV? Are you sure the products can't be returned within a particular time frame?

Here's an item that I was able to find on YouTube. Says items are returnable, does it not?

Old 19th February 2015, 17:33   #2825
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav9385 View Post
What the duck?!?

So what happened to all the ad's they show on TV? Are you sure the products can't be returned within a particular time frame?
Items once ordered were definitely not returnable when I ordered in Jan/Feb 2013. Policies may have changed now, but I would read the fine print properly. I inquired on this what if I get something faulty and the answer I got was in case of any problem, they would send someone to sort out, but since items were made against orders, they were not returnable. I saw the ads on tv recently on being able to return etc and was surprised, but didnt bother about it since I have no intention ever of ordering with them again.

See my review on another site here - http://www.mouthshut.com/review/Pepp...iew-ompnsqrosr

Last edited by diyguy : 19th February 2015 at 17:39.
Old 19th February 2015, 21:15   #2826
BHPian

Quote:
Speaking from my experience you can shop from any of these online portals- Pepperfry/Fabfurnish/UL. They do have some lovely coffee tables and TV units made of hardwood and their service has been exemplary. The only compromise is the waiting period.

Also when it comes to particle board, it s a big NO from me. I usually try and stay away from products made of it.
There is one problem that I faced while ordering a bed from pepperfry.
It was a @home product and I couldn't find warranty information on the page so I called their customer rep and she confirmed that there was NO warranty on the furniture !!! Bought from a nearby furniture store then.

I would suggest calling them and asking about warranty before splurging the money at pepperfry.
Old 19th February 2015, 23:23   #2827
BHPian

Update on my post yesterday: my wife pickup the stuff from the post office and saw lots of Amazon good lying undelivered. The postal staffs' excuse if that they move around in bicycles and so cannot carry bulky parcels. So stay away from sellers who despatch through India Post if you are ordering big stuffs.
Old 20th February 2015, 01:00   #2828
BHPian

In my experience most packages sent via post office have to be picked up in person. They usually provide a slip at home to inform you about the package and when to pick it up.
Old 20th February 2015, 07:02   #2829
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have bought 2 side tables from Pepperfry in Jan 2013. If you look at the pictures of furniture on pepperfry, you will notice the whitish dirt on the pictures. When I pointed this out to the customer support guy, he said he hadnt noticed, but it could be saw dust. I went ahead and ordered anyway and must say, i am extremely disappointed with my purchase. It took i think 60 days or so for reaching me and the finish was very poor. It was extremely dirty and certain edges were not smooth, showed it had been chiseled by hand. The draws dont open smoothly and it rocks too. About a couple of months into my purchase I noticed a crack on top and realized it is just broken pieces of wood that they somehow manage to stick together. On the whole a very poor purchase and will never recommend pepperfry to anyone.
That's some terrible luck man. My orders from Pepperfry included the below items

http://www.pepperfry.com/alexander-s...f-1099811.html
http://www.pepperfry.com/the-handsom...n-1241391.html
http://www.pepperfry.com/high-back-a...e=clip&pos=8:1 (2 of these)

and trust me all were of extreme good quality,top notch finish,well packed and their folks even delivered it to the 4th floor of my apartment complex.

As for UrbanLadder, their service is unbeatable. Since I moved into my new apartment I got rid of all the old furniture and have been ordering stuff mostly from Pepperfry,UL and Fabfurnish.

Last edited by rjstyles69 : 20th February 2015 at 07:04.
Old 20th February 2015, 07:55   #2830
BHPian

Quote:
How long have you been using these? The first item, are the draws opening easily for you?
I am happy for you if things worked out well and am sure all their stuff may not be bad as happened to me. My post is only to prepare folks for maybe the unfortunate situation and have a plan to correct it or preempt it.
Heres a snap of the crack that i mentioned...
Attached Thumbnails
The Online Shopping Thread-1424399035321.jpg  

Old 20th February 2015, 10:37   #2831
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How long have you been using these? The first item, are the draws opening easily for you?
Yupp works well. The bookshelf has 3 draws and all 3 are being used by my 4 year old daughter. My daughter has a penchant for painting and sketching.I have asked her to use those draws to store her paint brushes, sketch pens, color pencils, coloring/sketching books etc that she uses for painting on a daily basis.

Its been close to 5 months of regular use and touch-wood no problems as yet.
Old 20th February 2015, 12:00   #2832
BHPian

After reading the bitter experiences from pepperfry I couldn't stop smiling as my previous experience was turned out to be a good joke and a free loading experience for me.

Few months back I've ordered 3 burner domestic gas stove from them, waited for 1 month and asked for the refund which was duly done from their side within 3-5 days. I thought this time I will buy it from a physical store but luckily I couldn't make out that month. After one month from the refund, the stove was delivered at my door step with some dents on the sides. Already informed them about the delivery and the dents and they said some one from the respective merchant will call me about this. I was too happy to receive the freebie and till now no one had contacted me about this and am gracefully using it at home. May be its because of the dents and the time delay they are reluctant to contact me any ways am grateful to them for the gift as it was meant for the work area so minor dents are ok for my wife.
Old 20th February 2015, 12:02   #2833
Senior - BHPian

Had an awesome experience with Shopperstop online & retail showroom.
Brought an Oakley Jupiter squared sunglasses ONLINE for a fantastic price, delivery in flat 3 days.
Somehow was not convinced with glass colour (gray), so after 3 days went to Shopperstop showroom & said, I want to change the sunglasses as I'm not that happy with the shades colour (it's out of their policy to exchange sunglasses, it's mentioned in terms & conditions - until and unless it has a defect).
No question asked, they (CCE) said, Sir you can exchange with any Oakley or Ray-ban.
Surprisingly , Even shop had flat 15% off sale going on, so brought another (priced higher) Oakley Jupiter Squared (Jade Iridium).
Went home, None of the family members approved the Jade Iridium shades on my face .. LOL
Went to shoppersstop showroom once again, They happily agreed to change the sunglasses once again. (coz of First citizen membership ???? , I'm not sure).

In the end brought Oakley TWOFACE sunglasses. (Priced higher) I'm now totally happy with the purchase & exchange processes.
Old 20th February 2015, 14:49   #2834

My experience with pepperfry so far has been very good.

I ordered a bookshelf and it was delivered in perfect condition. The packing was really neat.
The guys who delivered the item showed no hesitation in bringing it to the 10th floor of my apartment.

After that I ordered a gas stove. That too was delivered in perfect condition with excellent packing.
Old 20th February 2015, 15:17   #2835
Distinguished - BHPian

Pepperfry

I think I've ordered three items from Pepperfry: an LED desk lamp, kitchen steps, and a plastic storage unit.

Delivery on the first two items was fine, and the items also fine. The storage unit simply never happened, and there was no information. In response to my complaint they apologised, stating that they could not source the item, and promptly refunded the amount. They gave a discount coupon too, but I never got around to using it.

Amazon.com (USA) and Arkon

I ordered an Arkon tablet mount from Amazon.com (USA) for the car, largely because the reviews were good, and amounted to saying that its sticky/suction would grip pretty-much anything. When I tried it, I found that it would grip smooth, flat surfaces, but would not stick to my dashboard at all. No stick, no suction, useless. This surprise me because I've used a similar-technique mount for my phone for some time.

I posted my experiences as a product review on Amazon, and Arkon immediately replied asking for photos, which I took and promptly sent to their email address. At first, I was impressed with the prompt response, but, two weeks went by and nothing further happened.

By a nice coincidence, the day that I decided to chase them, I got a mail from them, apologising that my mail had got spam-trapped, but they had found it --- and they would send out a new unit to me by post, which has now arrived, two weeks later.

There was no request to return the faulty item, and the new one sticks, so I now have a spare, which may, except for the suction pad, be useful for parts if anything breaks. I'm happy.

By the Way

One thing I learned from the Schiit Audio "autobiography" on Head-Fi is that, when fulfilled-by-Amazon items are returned, it is Amazon that decides whether they should be restocked and resold, which can lead to imperfect or badly packaged items being sent out through no fault of the manufacturer/dealer, who has no say in the matter.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks