Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2015, 10:09   #3046
Senior - BHPian

re: The "Online Shopping" Thread

How good is the site www.aliexpress.com?
Some very good deals on electronics are available here.
I was looking at External Hard disks and Samsung HDs(2 TB) retail at USD 45 onwards which translates to a little over Rs. 2500/-.
HDs in India are Rs. 3.8K onwards( 1TB) on online stores(Amazon/E Bay)
Are these genuine ones?

Any Bhpian with a good experience with any particular seller on Ali express selling Electronics or HDs in particular?
I have surfed the web and have contrasting reviews and am hence unable to decide if I should take the risk.
Old 15th April 2015, 12:35   #3047
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnabchak View Post
Any Bhpian with a good experience with any particular seller on Ali express selling Electronics or HDs in particular?
Please use the 'search this thread' function on the top-right to search for 'ali' - there are numerous people on the forum who've shared their experiences in terms of ordering items on Ali Express, and the shipping experience thereafter.
Old 15th April 2015, 14:06   #3048
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety is Param View Post
I am looking to buy external hard drives, 2 TB, from Ali Express. Currently, they are priced between $43.5 to $55; Samsung and Seagate respectively.

I have had past purchase experiences with them, but the order value didn't exceed $10. Have received all items within 45 days. Items received as advertised.

Can I take a gamble this time and order the hard disk? Kindly suggest!
Dear Param

Have you received the HD from Ali Express?
Which seller did you opt for and how is the packaged product?

Also, is it a genuine product or some fake model.
Pls. update.
Old 20th April 2015, 01:36   #3049
Senior - BHPian

Amazon pays 2.5 ₹/km to its riders for deliveries and it offers free deliveries on all items. Do the math! They lose on each low value transaction surely.

This is simply the honeymoon phase of Indian e-commerce which can't last too long!
Old 20th April 2015, 08:28   #3050
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Amazon pays 2.5 ₹/km to its riders for deliveries and it offers free deliveries on all items. Do the math! They lose on each low value transaction surely.

This is simply the honeymoon phase of Indian e-commerce which can't last too long!
Amazon offers free delivery only on orders above Rs. 500.

Plus I don't think they pay Rs. 2.5/km on a per-package basis; so this cost must be split across several orders (I am guessing about 25 deliveries are taken up together by a single delivery person).

And I've been hearing about this "honeymoon phase" for a while now, but e-commerce is not going away, is it? It's been around for 15+ years now and is still going strong. Amazon is sitting on a cash pile of $17 billion, of which it has allocated only $2 billion for India yet - there is still plenty more to come.

My view is that the B&M supply chain has so much inefficiencies and jumbo margins built into it that we can't believe it ourselves when e-commerce brings the cost down.
Old 20th April 2015, 12:50   #3051
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Amazon offers free delivery only on orders above Rs. 500.
And I've been hearing about this "honeymoon phase" for a while now, but e-commerce is not going away, is it?
Lowest I have ordered from Amazon was a 89 bucks item - delivery was free. They did mention 49 as delivery charge but then it was deducted as a promotional discount after a few lines. That is what phamilyman meant by 'honeymoon phase' I guess. We won't get such freebies once the market matures, there is some consolidation, and even the B&M stores start becoming competitive.
Old 20th April 2015, 15:34   #3052
Senior - BHPian

After Myntra, looks like Flipkart is planning to go app-only with their website as well!

I am not sure how this bodes for the e-Tailer. Phones, while convenient just do not offer the versatility that one can find on a larger screen.

Source: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/t...w/46983595.cms
Old 20th April 2015, 15:57   #3053
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
After Myntra, looks like Flipkart is planning to go app-only with their website as well!

I am not sure how this bodes for the e-Tailer. Phones, while convenient just do not offer the versatility that one can find on a larger screen.

Source: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/t...w/46983595.cms
This probably only means that they will shut down the mobile friendly website that usually starts with m.flipkart.com and only support the app. They cannot afford to shut their website.
Old 21st April 2015, 13:25   #3054
Senior - BHPian

PayTM has been burning cash like nobody's business.
There is consistent 40-50% discount on MRP on all sorts of items. And I really mean there is genuine discount (maybe 20-30% compared to other etailers).

In the last one month, I have spend more than Rs. 10,000 with PayTM alone - getting some items for others and some for the family.

Need to cut back on spending now.
Old 21st April 2015, 13:59   #3055
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
PayTM has been burning cash like nobody's business.
There is consistent 40-50% discount on MRP on all sorts of items. And I really mean there is genuine discount (maybe 20-30% compared to other etailers).

In the last one month, I have spend more than Rs. 10,000 with PayTM alone - getting some items for others and some for the family.

Need to cut back on spending now.
And how do we get that ? They have any website ? Or just enter your Paytm account number while making transactions on e-commerce website and it deducts the amount ?

Someone had also said this to me, but I don't know how to start with. Please enlighten me.
Old 21st April 2015, 15:22   #3056
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
And how do we get that ? They have any website ? Or just enter your Paytm account number while making transactions on e-commerce website and it deducts the amount ?

Someone had also said this to me, but I don't know how to start with. Please enlighten me.
If you are looking to buy, go directly to paytm.com, create an account, it's simple.

I think paytm also exist as payment gateway for other website, one would get some cashback on every transaction, similar to payumoney.

I purchase from bigbasket.com regularly, I get 5% (maximum 50/- INR) on every transaction done through payumoney.
Old 22nd April 2015, 10:38   #3057
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I placed had placed order for A118 Car Dash Camera on April 4th. I received it yesterday, April 21st. It was shipped by Sing Post.
Old 22nd April 2015, 10:49   #3058
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
I placed had placed order for A118 Car Dash Camera on April 4th. I received it yesterday, April 21st. It was shipped by Sing Post.
Did you have to pay any customs duty.
Have you installed the Cam and is it original?

How did you finalize on the vendor?
Old 22nd April 2015, 10:56   #3059
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Did you have to pay any customs duty.
No. The dealer had a note attached for customs, declaring the value.
Quote:
Have you installed the Cam and is it original?
I am travelling this week. I will check the working next weekend. The product looks as described.
Quote:
How did you finalize on the vendor?
Correct product description, his feedback score, ship to India for free via Sing post.
Old 22nd April 2015, 11:04   #3060
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
No. The dealer had a note attached for customs, declaring the value.

I am travelling this week. I will check the working next weekend. The product looks as described.
Correct product description, his feedback score, ship to India for free via Sing post.
Many Thanks msdivy

I wanted to order a External HD and am skeptical ordering from them.
Have seen a no. of very diverse comments and hence havent ordered yet.
The prices are practically 50% of Indian prices!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks