Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2015, 11:55   #3286
BHPian

re: The "Online Shopping" Thread

Had a very good return experience with paytm & Ecom express.
Purchased a pair of chappals but the size shipped was a problem. Created a return request in paytm, reverse pick up with Ecom was arranged in one day. They inspected the chappal before accepting. The Ecom guy hadn't bought any return receipt which he claimed to have forgotten at office. I told him I cant give him the return without a receipt so he made few calls and then whatsapp'd me the photo of return receipt.
After one day the amount paid was credited to my paytm wallet.
Old 29th May 2015, 12:09   #3287
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
I've been using Lenskart for a couple of years now. They've been a boon for some of us. The prices quoted for lenses alone for her in stores like GKB etc start from 12k and good one is 18k.
There is a significant difference in rates in Bangalore optical stores for frames/Lens , I can get 3 pairs of specs with lens if I get these from Nasik compared to single specs for the price I pay with lens in bangalore for that amount. Also we can choose the company /make of Lens. How one can be sure if the frame selected from Lenskart fits correctly , as I have to check at least 7-10 frames to see is its perfect fit and then choose. Same goes for childrens.
Old 29th May 2015, 12:11   #3288
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Is it possible to keep the frame and change the lens alone from them next year, like we do in bric-n-mortar optical stores?
Don't know if Lenskart will change lens alone but I just changed the lens of my free frame from outside. The lens from Lenskart tend to fade very slightly after a years use. Ease of changing can depend on the condition of the frame and the shop where it is done. Most shops would like us to purchase a new frame but even if not, they get revenue from the lens. I changed from a local Lawrence n Mayo, they marketed me new frame but I politely refused that I wanted the existing frame badly.

EDIT: Just noticed that many have replied in between. Result of keeping the window idle for too long.

Last edited by thoma : 29th May 2015 at 12:14.
Old 29th May 2015, 12:48   #3289
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Got a very good deal (I hope) from lenskart for prescription eyeglasses with photochromatic lenses for my 15 year old son.
Another happy Lenskart customer here. Their prices are ultra competitive and quality is good. I am not sure why, but lenses and frames are prohibitively expensive in Bangalore. I used to do my frame shopping when I go to Kerala, but now with Lenskart, I can do it while sitting at home

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
The deal of the day on flipkart and amazon apps is quite good.
Yup - Got a CAT shoe from Amazone during their lighting deals - placed the order yesterday and got delivered by today morning 11 AM. Pretty fast.

Quote:
That is great to know, thanks. Is it possible to keep the frame and change the lens alone from them next year, like we do in bric-n-mortar optical stores?
Yes, I hope so. They do have brick and mortar stores at Bangalore (I have seen one at HSR), so I think we should be able to change the lenses alone.

--Anoop
Old 29th May 2015, 13:56   #3290
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
These guys are great! Am sure no store would have extended this benefit to me or this customer belief that the item is defective.
That is a rather reassuring thing to hear about Lenskart. A couple of forum members have had really bad experiences and hence I chose a BnM shop. However I bought Contact Lenses at Lenskart which were discounted when compared to BnM stores.

Maybe, would try Lenskart finally for a pair.

My experience with Ali Express:

2 Items bought, (1) 2TB Hard Disk and (2) WiFi Repeater

1. Hard Disk - Bought at a throwaway price 50 USD and was delivered under 15 days. Worked for 1 day but when I tried to format the thing from exFat to NTFS - it just would not budge after 2%. Finally the system stopped recongnising it completely. By that time I had already accepted the goods and the payment released. I have contacted the customer care to see what can be done about it.

2. WiFi Repeater - Got it around 20 days for 15 USD and works well, no problems at all.

So, Ali Express might be good enough for low value items. However if some electronic item concks off, I am pretty sure the customer is stranded and has no recourse.

Later I bought a 2TB from Amazon at around INR 6800, which works really well.

Last edited by pratyush6 : 29th May 2015 at 13:58.
Old 29th May 2015, 14:53   #3291
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
prescription eyeglasses with photochromatic lenses for my 15 year old son.

[snip]

Prescription sun glasses are very expensive, and I was reluctant to buy them
Do you mean the same thing when you say "prescription photochromatic lenses" and "prescription sun glasses"? Or are they different?

I have myopia since I was 7; and I used to wear photochromatic lenses when I was approximately the age you talk of (15-18). But I threw them away when I realized that they were affecting my vision badly in twilight and night (18 is the age one discovers motor bikes; and one doesn't want anything that interferes in those late night drives with friends). If "prescription sun glasses" are something different maybe I should give those a try for my son too.
Old 29th May 2015, 14:57   #3292
Senior - BHPian

Prescription sun glasses means the glass stays dark all the time. Photochromatic means the glass turns darker with higher exposure to sunlight.
Old 29th May 2015, 15:41   #3293
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Do you mean the same thing when you say "prescription photochromatic lenses" and "prescription sun glasses"? Or are they different?
No. Prescription sunglasses are made to order by a sunglass manufacturer at a special cost. Earlier Ray-ban offered them, when the brand was owned by Bausch & Lomb. I am not sure now. They will look no different from sunglasses, and will have the same frame. They may be dark all the time, or day/night too, according to the shade we choose.

We can get them from Titan too, but the lenses start from Rs 5k, not including the frame.

Photochromatic lenses are what we call "day and night" lenses - the ones that turn dark in the sun but will be plain indoors. They are fitted to normal spectacle frames.

Last edited by Gansan : 29th May 2015 at 16:01.
Old 29th May 2015, 15:47   #3294
Senior - BHPian

At BonTon in Delhi, they make `prescription' sunglasses and it is not a big issue at all at most other places too. They are meant for people who need normal glasses (like me) with either +/- vision. For people like us with not normal vision, we cannot wear sunglasses with no power. Thus, if we want to wear sunglasses, we need to ensure that the glasses have the same power as normal glasses. Thus, the need for `prescription' sunglasses.

I also need progressive lenses, bought one in 2011-12 for 12,000 but it was a total waste of money. Could not adjust at all to the + correction even after many days. So back to normal glasses with only - correction.

Last edited by vasudeva : 29th May 2015 at 15:49.
Old 29th May 2015, 15:52   #3295
Senior - BHPian

@binand
Lawrence & Mayo have been offering them at Chennai and Bangalore for a very long time. If you want, you can check out their store on MG Road. If the power changes every year, they become a costly proposition. Hence more suited for adults.

My son will use the photochromatic glasses mainly while going out in the hot sun. They sure are not sunglasses, but they are a lot better than plain lenses while going out, and he is glad of that!

Last edited by Gansan : 29th May 2015 at 15:57.
Old 29th May 2015, 15:56   #3296
Senior - BHPian

Got my Sony MP3 from Aliexpress today after placing the order on 18th May.
Must say it was pretty fast.
Shipment was through Singapost and arrived in a good condition.
Old 29th May 2015, 16:03   #3297
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@binand
Lawrence & Mayo have been offering them at Chennai and Bangalore for a very long time. If you want, you can check out their store on MG Road. If the power changes every year, they become a costly proposition. Hence more suited for adults.
Beg to differ here. Of course, power can change every year but is not usual or the change is not much to warrant a new pair every year. I have been wearing glasses for 25 years and power has gone from -1/-3 to -2/-4.5. A sign change of 0.25/0.5 usually should not cause too much problems unless you are too finicky. I have never suffered from not having frequent eye check to just see if the power has changed and I need new glasses. Of course, others may have a faster/slower change. Plus, many people (including me) also become hypermetropic (+ sign).

Come to think of it, if power changes every year, then even normal glasses are a costly proposition!!!. If someone wants prescription sunglasses, one need not wait till power stabilises, because that may not happen at all or happen after many years.

If I had to buy prescription sunglasses, I would not worry too much about quick deterioration in power in 1 year. 2-3 years is a reasonable time and people can even stay longer on the same power. Lenses do become smudgy and/or worn out after 2-3 years and/or you might change the frame. That is a good enough time for me to get eyes rechecked or go for the correct power.

These days, any decent optician in A/B class cities should offer prescription sunglasses.

Last edited by vasudeva : 29th May 2015 at 16:07.
Old 29th May 2015, 16:11   #3298
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
If I had to buy prescription sunglasses, I would not worry too much about quick deterioration in power in 1 year.
My son started to wear glasses when he was 12. The doctor advised the power should be checked once in 6 months, or at least once a year till he is 20. Also that frequent power changes may happen to this age group during this period and not to worry about it.

I just don't want to spend Rs 10k or so only to have it changed the next year. His power has already changed twice in the last four years.
Old 29th May 2015, 16:58   #3299
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My son started to wear glasses when he was 12. The doctor advised the power should be checked once in 6 months, or at least once a year till he is 20. Also that frequent power changes may happen to this age group during this period and not to worry about it.

I just don't want to spend Rs 10k or so only to have it changed the next year. His power has already changed twice in the last four years.
I would seriously suggest that he tries out contact lenses - my power increased over the years from -1.25 to -5.00 over six odd years and stopped only after shifting to contact lenses.
Old 29th May 2015, 17:08   #3300
Senior - BHPian

I've been using bigbasket.com for quite some time to order groceries online.

On my latest purchase, I noticed that they don't seem to want me to order any sugar. Check the "about" section.

Such concern for my health warms my heart I tell you.
Attached Thumbnails
The Online Shopping Thread-sugar.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks