Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2015, 16:19   #4171
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Online Shopping Thread

Mi India Festival Sale 'Diwali With Mi‬' : Sale Starts 3,4,5 November 2015! - http://www.mi.com/in/events/diwali/

The Online Shopping Thread-mi-diwali-sale.jpg
Old 28th October 2015, 16:27   #4172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkMar View Post
I also ordered a phone from Amazon (fulfilled by Amazon) on Monday. It was shipped on Monday itself, but it spent the entire day yesterday roaming around in Hyderabad. It is shipped through courier Aramex.
Amazon Fulfilled orders are shipped using their own courier services and is a much better experience.
Once handed to a third party logistics, almost always expect delays.
Old 28th October 2015, 16:34   #4173
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
Amazon Fulfilled orders are shipped using their own courier services and is a much better experience.
Once handed to a third party logistics, almost always expect delays.
Amazon fulfilled orders are not always shipped by ATS. They are usually shipped by Indiapost, Bluedart and Fedex too, depending upon the conditions. Only when you choose faster delivery options, ATS is assigned to deliver the parcel to you. Of all my orders, only one was delivered by Aramex and as usual they are unbelievably slow.
Old 28th October 2015, 16:35   #4174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Amazon fulfilled orders are not always shipped by ATS. They are usually shipped by Indiapost, Bluedart and Fedex too, depending upon the conditions. Only when you choose faster delivery options, ATS is assigned to deliver the parcel to you. Of all my orders, only one was delivered by Aramex and as usual they are unbelievably slow.
If you opt for COD, 9 times out of 10, Amazon will deliver it using ATS.
Old 28th October 2015, 22:14   #4175
Senior - BHPian

I had a gala time shopping on Jabong for the GF today.

Got items at ridiculous prices. Here are a few screenshots.

Total of 2 tops and 2 slippers for around Rs. 318!

The Online Shopping Thread-1.jpg

The Online Shopping Thread-2.jpg

The Online Shopping Thread-3.jpg
Old 30th October 2015, 13:32   #4176
BHPian

I ordered an OTG cable 2 days back in infibeam.com. The price was low (Rs.72/-). The order is stuck and not shipped yet; they want to have my ID proof uploaded in their system. Did anyone face this issue with infibeam? I have purchased all sorts electronic equipment from AZ/FK etc but never had to upload any ID proof!

Last edited by ankan.m.blr : 30th October 2015 at 13:35.
Old 30th October 2015, 21:00   #4177
Distinguished - BHPian

Just yesterday, I ordered two sets of twelve spanners (one open, one ring) and some rechargable AAA batteries for a cordless phone. I am into the online shopping thing. I have even ordered an OTG cable from Flipkart.

The thing is, though, online shopping is making forget our local shops entirely. The next time I needed another OTG cable, I just called in at a small phone/electrics shop two minutes walk away. It cost a very small number of rupees, zero carriage, zero waiting, nobody had to be at home to sign for it --- and the guy told me to test it and bring it straight back if there was a problem, which there wasn't.

On the other hand, not certain abut the rechargables, but I would have had to travel quite a way to get those spanners
Old 30th October 2015, 21:16   #4178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

The thing is, though, online shopping is making forget our local shops entirely. The next time I needed another OTG cable, I just called in at a small phone/electrics shop two minutes walk away. It cost a very small number of rupees, zero carriage, zero waiting, nobody had to be at home to sign for it --- and the guy told me to test it and bring it straight back if there was a problem, which there wasn't.

On the other hand, not certain abut the rechargables, but I would have had to travel quite a way to get those spanners
The online shopping scene has made items we buy get cheaper. If you know of a local store which sells cheaper or at equal price to online rate then by all means I will go and buy there.

But most shops are not nearby, now if you include the time wasted in traffic, then time wasted in finding a good deal, bargaining, and the cost of travel to and fro all become obsolete with online purchases. You save time, you save the hassle of bargaining by checking best deals online, and you make the planet a bit more greener by not driving to those places.

In all honesty I tried to purchase a WiFi router (TP-Link) from local shops, they were quoting prices 400-500 Rs more than what I found online with free delivery, Add 90-100 Rs and you get one day delivery.

In life where time is everything, a luxury of finding mostly everything you want or need one click away is a no-brainer. And anything that saves me from being stuck in traffic for 3-4 hours to get one thing gets a
Old 30th October 2015, 21:46   #4179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
The next time I needed another OTG cable, I just called in at a small phone/electrics shop two minutes walk away.
Well, you had such a shop two minutes walk away. When I was in Chennai, Mercy Electronics was on my way home and never did it occur to me that I should order anything electronic online. On the other hand when I moved to Bangalore, it took me several days to locate a shop selling an ADSL splitter (costs < Rs. 100 where available), somewhere far off from where I live.

The last bastion is medication - and I understand our government is mulling allowing online pharmacies to deliver prescription medicines.
Old 30th October 2015, 22:31   #4180
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I understand our government is mulling allowing online pharmacies to deliver prescription medicines.
I have seen several sites which claim to do so already!

I live adjacent to one of those small streets in which you can buy almost anything, or at least almost anything that can come from small shops; we don't have any household electrics shops, or any bigger stores, very near. Mercy is about 4km away.
Old 31st October 2015, 10:15   #4181
BHPian

Chennai is dotted with "electronics" shops that sell things like DSL splitters and other knick-knacks. I can't seem to find such a shop anywhere near Meenakshi Mall in Bangalore.
Old 31st October 2015, 10:46   #4182
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTeacher View Post
Chennai is dotted with "electronics" shops that sell things like DSL splitters and other knick-knacks. I can't seem to find such a shop anywhere near Meenakshi Mall in Bangalore.
That's because that is one of the IT infested areas of Bangalore Visit areas like Jayanagar, Banashankari 2nd stage, Gandhi Bazar or the famous SP road. You will get whatever you would require for DIY work.
Old 31st October 2015, 13:48   #4183
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
That's because that is one of the IT infested areas of Bangalore Visit areas like Jayanagar, Banashankari 2nd stage, Gandhi Bazar or the famous SP road. You will get whatever you would require for DIY work.
Exactly. And that's also because Electronics City is not really "Electronics city" ☺.

Given a chance, one can easily spend whole day walking on the lanes/bylanes of SP road and do window shopping till noon and pick up their favorite DIY stuff by evening.

(Of course I also know why Electronics City eventually became IT but which otherwise was meant for Electronics and Telecom sectors)

Last edited by paragsachania : 31st October 2015 at 13:52.
Old 31st October 2015, 14:06   #4184
BHPian

Thanks audioholic & Parag.

Google Maps shows multiple SP roads - Halsurpete, Binny Pete, Vijayanagar, etc. Which one is the one you folks are suggesting?

Jayanagar and BSK 2nd stage would be closest for me. Any more specific location or store name & location ?
Old 31st October 2015, 14:29   #4185
Senior - BHPian

Buying my first "big" item online - a Morphy Richards 60 litre OTG. Where I stay only one shop seems to sell it and that too with a one week delay to get it from their Chennai source. Amazon had it more than 2000/- Rs. cheaper. My only fear is transit damage.
My overall amazon experience is mixed. Of the ten or so purchases, three orders were problematic.
One water bottle became faulty after 3 months. This was refunded even though it was outside their refund time period.
One seller shipped the wrong item. As it was a nonamazon seller, I had to pay to shop it back, scan the receipt. The amount was refunded in my cc, but the shipping amount and a goodwill gesture bonus was sent by cheque.
One seller sent an incomplete item and as it was amazon fulfilled, they sent a courier to pick it up.
There seems to be problems with amazon sellers, but I find their customer support very responsive.
I feel their car cleaning stuff is not genuine. I have not been happy with the scratch out and 3M glass cleaner I have got a few months ago.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks