Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2019, 11:07   #6286
BHPian

Re: The Online Shopping Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Has anyone got access to this Amazon Pay ICICI Credit card? Seems pretty neat, considering I do a lot of purchasing on Amazon, helps with the 6 month No Cost EMI options.

I have not got an invite yet.
Hi, you can try visiting this link -

https://amazon.in/cbcc/marketpage

If you are eligible, it will give the option to apply. Last time I checked, there was even a cashback for just applying for the card.
Old 28th March 2019, 16:27   #6287
Distinguished - BHPian

Since when did Amazon start using OTP for delivery ? I had ordered an item worth about 6k. They have sent an OTP to be used at the time of taking delivery. OTP to be entered instead of the signature we used to provide on the mobile device with the delivery person/.
Old 28th March 2019, 16:36   #6288
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Since when did Amazon start using OTP for delivery ? I had ordered an item worth about 6k. They have sent an OTP to be used at the time of taking delivery. OTP to be entered instead of the signature we used to provide on the mobile device with the delivery person/.
OTP is there for products worth over 5K i guess. its been quite some time since they started it. Good move indeed.
Old 30th March 2019, 21:46   #6289
BHPian

Amazon service seems to be on a decline for some time now. Among other bad experiences, a subscription order consisting of diapers and the like never turns up, no delivery attempt is made and folks cancel our order!

On inquiry, the customer service has no intelligent inputs to the whole drama. They in fact are another drama onto themselves.

Where would we be without the B&Ms? Sigh!
Old 1st April 2019, 12:06   #6290
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car-dent View Post
Also got 2000rs balance after completing transactions worth 50,000 in 90 days.
So this explains the additional 2000Rs I got last week. I received almost 3500Rs as cash back last week and could really make out why they gave me that much amount. This card is turning out to be the best for Amazon shoppers.
Old 1st April 2019, 12:48   #6291
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhil_rpmlover View Post
OTP is there for products worth over 5K i guess. its been quite some time since they started it. Good move indeed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
I just ordered an item worth 2.5k and received an SMS that I'll be getting an OTP at the time of delivery, so I don't think it's based on Order Value.

It could be to keep a check on whether the 1-day / 2-days delivery commitments are being fulfilled.

In many of my previous deliveries, the status would change from "Out for Delivery" to "Delivered" within an hour. Basically, the last mile delivery guy would often mark the item as delivered as soon as it was assigned to him. 8 out of 10 times, the actual delivery happened on the next working day.
Old 1st April 2019, 14:55   #6292
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidpunjabi View Post
In many of my previous deliveries, the status would change from "Out for Delivery" to "Delivered" within an hour. Basically, the last mile delivery guy would often mark the item as delivered as soon as it was assigned to him. 8 out of 10 times, the actual delivery happened on the next working day.

Happens 10/10 times when I order something to my native place. I would get a delivered sms, while my folks back at home would have no idea about it. I've complained about this before, but since he seems to be the only delivery guy in the area, I figured there is no point in antagonizing him further. So I kinda accepted this routine.
Old 1st April 2019, 16:21   #6293
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralJazz View Post
Happens 10/10 times when I order something to my native place. I would get a delivered sms, while my folks back at home would have no idea about it. I've complained about this before, but since he seems to be the only delivery guy in the area, I figured there is no point in antagonizing him further. So I kinda accepted this routine.
I was under the same notion. Despite complaining an umpteen number of times - that practice was followed. (I live well within the metropolitan region of Mumbai city, so it really shouldn't be a problem for them).

An insider, and a close friend, later told me that Amazon's delivery operations had been outsourced to 3rd party vendors, over which the company has limited control. In fact, he faces the same issue as well, in spite of being an employee.

Last edited by sidpunjabi : 1st April 2019 at 16:22.
Old 1st April 2019, 20:03   #6294
Distinguished - BHPian

I am getting OTPs from Amazon now, even for low-value deliveries --- but the courier guy does not always ask for them.
Old 4th April 2019, 13:41   #6295
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhil_rpmlover View Post
I got a TV worth 150K last month and there was no OTP.
I do like the idea though.
Old 5th April 2019, 12:32   #6296
Senior - BHPian

Do I need to pay any transaction charge over and above the conversion fees, if I use my debit card issued in India to make a purchase at Amazon.com?

The debit card is a Visa card.

--Anoop
Old 6th April 2019, 12:38   #6297
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
Do I need to pay any transaction charge over and above the conversion fees, if I use my debit card issued in India to make a purchase at Amazon.com?
Will be charged GST on the conversion fee and no other transaction fee to best of my knowledge.
Old 7th April 2019, 10:58   #6298
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
If you choose to pay in USD, then you will be charged as per this calculation:

Say amount to pay is $1000 and exchange rate is Rs. 70 (which will be higher than market rates - right now, I see 69.23 on Google Finance, 69.19 on xe.com and 70.85 on HDFC Bank's website).

USD Amount: $1000
INR Amount: Rs. 70000
Forex transaction Service charge: 70000 x 3.5% = 2450
GST on service charge: 2450 x 18% = 441
Total you end up paying: 70000 + 2450 + 441 = Rs. 72,891.

Amazon.com offers billing in INR, so you just need to pay whatever they show on their portal. Which will be approximately equal to the bank rate with no futher markup.
Old 7th April 2019, 11:03   #6299
Senior - BHPian

The general suggestion (both online and from my corporate card provider, and given as a guidance to all my colleagues) is to do exactly the opposite. Pay in local currency not in INR.

https://qz.com/quartzy/1355702/shoul...edit-card-use/

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
If you choose to pay in USD, then you will be charged as per this calculation:

Say amount to pay is $1000 and exchange rate is Rs. 70 (which will be higher than market rates - right now, I see 69.23 on Google Finance, 69.19 on xe.com and 70.85 on HDFC Bank's website).

USD Amount: $1000
INR Amount: Rs. 70000
Forex transaction Service charge: 70000 x 3.5% = 2450
GST on service charge: 2450 x 18% = 441
Total you end up paying: 70000 + 2450 + 441 = Rs. 72,891.

Amazon.com offers billing in INR, so you just need to pay whatever they show on their portal. Which will be approximately equal to the bank rate with no futher markup.
Old 7th April 2019, 12:01   #6300
Distinguished - BHPian

I always pay in local currency and never in INR whether online or B&M. In most cases the rate quoted on the website or POS machine will be higher than what your bank will convert at.

Also, many IN banks like SBI & HDFCB periodically offer schemes where they waive Forex markups, so you could save quite a lot if you're lucky.

Most Viewed