Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 25th December 2013, 11:52   #1096
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post

So if it's not sent back, what do they do with it? Do they allow the recipient to collect it after a week?
Most of the reputed courier companies usually send a sms the day they are sending the parcel to you along with the contact details of the delivery guy.
So in case you are not available you can always call up the delivery guy to tell him that he can come after so & so date.
That worked for me many times.

As far as i know majorly all the international sellers opt for EMS. In case EMS sends it to you, they don't require any documents to be signed.
The simply leave the parcel at your place or you can later on collect it from the post office.
Old 25th December 2013, 12:15   #1097
Senior - BHPian

re: The "Online Shopping" Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
So if it's not sent back, what do they do with it? Do they allow the recipient to collect it after a week?
The biggies - Blue Dart, DTDC and TPC - all have language in their ToS that in such cases, they will raise invoice to the shipper for all extra cost incurred, and if the shipper refuses to pay then they will sell off the consignment to recover their costs.

In practice, they are usually amenable to delivering to a neighbour, building security, alternate address within the same delivery run's range etc. (except for packages you have to personally sign for - credit cards, for example).

I have had reason to ask both TPC and DTDC to hold packages till I return to town, and they have been agreeable. But then, my travel is domestic so I am reachable on my mobile number.

I haven't checked the rules for the international favourites - FedEx, DHL, Aramex etc.
Old 28th December 2013, 16:49   #1098
BHPian

Amazon.in has finally settled its roots in India. Online shopping has become a known phenomenon in the market today and with big players like Amazon entering the domain alongside Flipkart and ebay, the market is expected to grow big!

Last to last night, I was hunting for an 8 GB pendrive at the cheapest price available. Needed it for my sister, and she loves gift wraps so also threw in a gift wrapping option.

I have previously used flipkart and I am well aware of Flipkart's regular policy changes, including shipping charges increase and price changes frequently. So, I checked Amazon for the same too!

Price :
  • The price on flipkart for the Sandisk Cruzer 8 GB was Rs.305, but the price on Amazon was Rs.299. A mere difference of five rupees but what plays a major difference is the shipping charges.
  • Now, Amazon being the new player has waived off shipping charges for orders presently whereas Flipkart has a Rs.40 shipping charges. The gifting charges, however remain the same both places.

Verdict : If your order is under Rs.500, Amazon will definitely be a cheaper option.

Shipping :
  • I ordered on 26th Night and received my order on 28th Morning. That is indeed fast for shipping in one day from Bombay to Gurgaon. Amazon also uses a two signature system, wherein the first is a physical signature and the second is a digital signature in the mobile carried by the delivery guy! The delivery guy was also well mannered and wished me as he entered the premises.
  • Flipkart had delivered a pendrive an year back to me in 4 days. It might be a one-off late delivery, but since I am comparing pendrives, it seems legit. Flipkart uses a physical signature system. The courier guy was a one-off standard guy who was again the usual guy.

Verdict : Amazon's shipping is much reliable and better in shipping. It is both faster and has efficient delivery guys.

Alerts and Package : The alerts in Amazon's case were mostly done by e-mails and a few by mobile phones. It was pretty much the same in Flipkart's case.

The package was nicely packed in two layers, consisted an envelope on top and superior taping. The gift wrap was nicely done with a note on top! Flipkart also has a similar packing!

Ultimate Verdict: AMAZON is surely recommended. You are better off buying stuff at Amazon rather than spending 700 bucks on Dhoom 3.
They are fast, efficient and cheap too. Let the pictures talk now!

The Online Shopping Thread-_dsc5582.jpg

The Online Shopping Thread-_dsc5583.jpg

The Online Shopping Thread-_dsc5590.jpg

The Online Shopping Thread-_dsc5578.jpg

The Online Shopping Thread-_dsc5579.jpg

The Online Shopping Thread-_dsc5584.jpg

The Online Shopping Thread-_dsc5585.jpg

The Online Shopping Thread-_dsc5586.jpg

The Online Shopping Thread-_dsc5587.jpg

Last edited by devilwearsprada : 28th December 2013 at 16:51.
Old 2nd January 2014, 16:23   #1099
Senior - BHPian

I find amazon.in to be very competitive and recently have used it more often than flipkart. Flipkart used to be good till around 2012 but my recent experience has been (a) not the lowest prices (b) bad delivery schedules (can take 4-7 days now for Delhi delivery) (c) a large number of items are displayed but out of stock at all times.

For computer hardware, I was pleasantly surprised with primeabgb. Ordered 2 items in December 2013 and both arrived in Delhi within 24-26 hours which is ordered at 10am-12 noon on day 1 and items were at home at 2-4 pm on day 2. Amazing. Their prices are very competitive and in the items that I ordered, lower than amazon and flipkart. Also lower than reputed sellers in Nehru Place, Delhi.
Old 3rd January 2014, 15:16   #1100
Distinguished - BHPian

Any experiences with http://www.chinavasion.com/ ?
Old 3rd January 2014, 15:27   #1101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilwearsprada View Post
Last to last night, I was hunting for an 8 GB pendrive at the cheapest price available.
I was looking to buy something similar a few months ago. And discovered yet another flaw with flipkart.
The Sandisk Cruzer was priced at ~330 bucks at flipkart, shipping extra. So I decided to order 2 of them, to save on the shipping costs and I wanted them anyway. Unbelievably, flipkart simply wouldnt let me do that. . Everytime I changed quantity from 1 to 2, it kept saying there was an error and I would have to place a different order for the 2nd pen drive.
Ended up ordering from snapdeal.
Old 4th January 2014, 12:29   #1102
BHPian

Hi, Can anyone suggest a good online site for buying a white board with marker and duster facility for residential purpose? Thanks.
Old 4th January 2014, 14:24   #1103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvrchandra View Post
Hi, Can anyone suggest a good online site for buying a white board with marker and duster facility for residential purpose? Thanks.
Any of these ?

http://www.snapdeal.com/product/roge...mpaign=461_463

http://www.snapdeal.com/product/my-m...mpaign=159_170

http://www.shopclues.com/magnetic-wh...-ft-x-1ft.html
Old 6th January 2014, 16:21   #1104
Senior - BHPian

The transcend 1TB external hard disk available at Rs.800 off on Flipkart. Costs Rs.3999. Is it worth it? Am considering since my current transcend HDD has a 250GB capacity, which is insufficient to accommodate my home PC and office laptop backups.

http://www.flipkart.com/transcend-st...CD72ZXFC6ZRTST
Old 6th January 2014, 16:31   #1105
Senior - BHPian

There is a HGST (Hitachi) drive on sale too for the same price. I'd pick that over this one. Hitachi service is handled by WD now since the takeover so that side shouldn't be an issue either. Essentially this is a WD drive for a cheaper price.
Old 6th January 2014, 16:37   #1106
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
The transcend 1TB external hard disk available at Rs.800 off on Flipkart. Costs Rs.3999. Is it worth it? Am considering since my current transcend HDD has a 250GB capacity, which is insufficient to accommodate my home PC and office laptop backups.

http://www.flipkart.com/transcend-st...CD72ZXFC6ZRTST
I prefer to go for WD. I am using it from long time and not encountered any issue
Few week back it was sold around 4K but now it is around 4.8K
http://www.amazon.in/Western-Digital...rnal+hard+disk

Keep a tab for few days on the price and then decide.

EDIT:
Not sure as i didn't brought anything from them
http://dejavutrends.com/wd-my-passpo...hard-disk.html around 3700

Last edited by aka_iitd : 6th January 2014 at 16:47.
Old 8th January 2014, 14:14   #1107

Beware of buying battery replacements (for phones/laptops etc) online. As my Samsung Galaxy S2 battery is over 30 months old, and not capable of a whole day of light use, I bought an "Original Samsung galaxy s2 battery" on rediff. Guess what. The new one lasts much less than my old one!!
Old 8th January 2014, 14:50   #1108
Senior - BHPian

I bought Garmin mount cradle bracket @ http://www.eachbuyer.com/. Paid via Paypal. Received after 40 days. This is same like dx.com.
Old 24th January 2014, 09:06   #1109
Senior - BHPian

A heads up for motorcycle tourers. Wildcraft saddle bag is available at a whooping 50% discount at Jabong.

http://www.jabong.com/wildcraft-Blac...ks-185721.html

I have the same bag ordered, and received in nice condition. It was an old packing, but the bag is totally unused and unblemished. I haven't put it to use though, but for 1750, it makes a good investment for future use.

Even though it says backpack, it is actually a set of 2 bags that join together to form a saddle bag. Highly recommended.

Last edited by ani_meher : 24th January 2014 at 09:14.
Old 24th January 2014, 13:06   #1110
Senior - BHPian

Addition to above, if you take up the purchase above 2000, then additional 31% off by using code SALE31.

Most Viewed