Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2013, 00:02   #916
BHPian

re: The "Online Shopping" Thread

Have bought couple of items from Ebay and never had any issues with them and I always find that the Deals of the week items are much cheaper then any online store across India almost by 2-5k depends on the product and added to that we too get added gifts and also 0% interest

On Feb-13 I have bought new Canon 1100D with Kit lens for Rs 21,000 Net all inclusive and the item got delivered on next day via blue dart from Delhi to Chennai( This was a gift to one of my friend) ordered around 5 Pm on Monday and got delivered on 4 Pm on tuesday which was very fast and market price of this item was around 24k at any retail/Online outlet and I saved around 3 K

On Aug-13 I have bought a New Nikon 3200 with Kit lens for Rs 27800 Net @0% Interest and 1% processing fee for 3 month EMIand it got deliverd within 3 days from Chennai to bangalore without any issues Via blue dart again where in market price was around 32K at retail outlet( off course retail outlet added free tripod and UV filter) and I still feel difference of 4.2K is quite huge

So just wondering how can Ebay alone can quote such vast difference in price and that to we get original products with company warranty.

PS: I saw an AD in TOI for Tissot watches and it is mentioned that no warranty will be entertained if the watch is bought via Online

Last edited by soarer : 18th October 2013 at 00:05. Reason: spelling
Old 18th October 2013, 01:55   #917
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neerajpv87 View Post
Anyone having experience with Indiatimes shopping? Planning to buy an Xperia ZR, and currently Indiatimes is quoting the lowest price. When I checked the online reviews, most of em are on the negative side. So I've been pushing my purchase, hoping that the price on Flipkart may come down or some good offer may come up. But nothing yet, so thinking of purchasing from Indiatimes itself.
Shopped many times from Indiatimes. Had a decent experience everytime.
Flipkart has a 15% cashback scheme on Standard chartered cards (for purchases more than Rs10k). Will work out very cheap if you have one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iVento View Post
Amazon India = eBay India?

One interesting thing I've noticed was that even though I placed the order on Amazon India, the parcel was carrying the eBay logo.

Does Amazon & eBay are tied-up in India? Or the seller (Mega_Bazaar in this case) is using eBay merchandise for shipping Amazon orders?
Many sellers setup on multiple online marketplaces. I guess the seller might have just reused the material for shipping. I had similar experience once where I ordered from Sulekha but received the item in ebay packaging.
Old 18th October 2013, 03:14   #918
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
Now, I had signed up for an EMI option with PayU. Recently there was a RBI statement that there will be no more 0% EMI.

Benny John
Although RBI policy decision is another topic for discussion, all ecom stores have stopped offering emi scheme.
The interesting part is that only HDFC Cards are still offering EMIs and PayU supports it too.
Called up snapdeal (uses PayU) and they said HDFC is also in a process to withdraw.
Old 18th October 2013, 07:10   #919
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitbagai View Post
Although RBI policy decision is another topic for discussion, all ecom stores have stopped offering emi scheme. The interesting part is that only HDFC Cards are still offering EMIs and PayU supports it too. Called up snapdeal (uses PayU) and they said HDFC is also in a process to withdraw.

Slight correction. The RBI mandate involves only the Zero percent EMI schemes, where the 'subvention' charges are paid by the manufacturers/ retailers. RBI believes that this type of scheme could result in a small hike in the actual 'selling price' of the item, because the subvention cost has to come from somewhere. This concern on the part of RBI has led to this mandate.

Speaking from experience, in the case of higher margin products/ items, the interest/ subvention cost normally goes from the retailer or brand's margin so the RBI's fears are in some ways, unfounded. Eg: Various apparel EMI schemes, MRP of garment = Rs 3000/-. Recovered in 3 EMI's of Rs 1000/- each. The brand/ retailer pays the rate of interest or subvention to the bank and this is considered as the 'acquisition cost' of new consumer OR as marketing cost.

However, in the case of low margin items, the consumer may be required to pay an 'ever-so-slightly' higher EMI, which, over the period/ tenure of the said EMI, pays off the 'subvention charges'. So lets say it is an electronic appliance. The EMI paid would be marginally higher because the interest/ subvention has to be part norne by the retailer, manufacturer and consumer. This is disguised within a slightly higher MRP which impacts the consumer. The negative impact happens on those consumers who pay upfront or pay cash, because they end up paying a marginally higher MRP. Having said that, we know that most consumers who buy high end products nowadays, tend to buy them on EMI because it is far more palatable this way!

Basically, through these zero percent EMI schemes, you don't knock the consumer over the head with a fat and high initial cost or 'Cap-Ex'. The interest/ subvention cost is 'disguised' a bit and recovered in far easier to bite chunks, over time. This latter method is far more palatable to consumers at large as we all know.

The consumer will still have access to various EMI schemes, but he/ she will have to pay the requisite interest component to avail of the same. The schemes themselves have to necessarily be 'more upfront and straightforward', without any 'hidden charges'. The MRP of the products also cannot be 'artificially inflated', however marginally, to accommodate the potential 'interest/ subvention' costs.

The whole 'Zero' percent EMI scheme game, actually is a huge 'inducement to purchase' and is actually aimed at 'instant gratification' which is what majority of the consuming classes want. It is an excellent marketing gimmick/ tool, and should not have been killed in this way by the RBI.

End of the day it is a very fine line to tread and our policy makers also need to understand that issuing these kinds of policy 'Fiats' are not the best way forward. The policy should also be a reflection of real consumer needs, market pulse and should be marketed well too. That is asking for the moon I guess, because it is like asking the Government and RBI etc to behave like a consumer focussed, concept marketing conglomerate!
Old 18th October 2013, 07:26   #920
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Anyone having experience with Indiatimes shopping? Planning to buy an Xperia ZR, and currently Indiatimes is quoting the lowest price. When I checked the online reviews, most of em are on the negative side. So I've been pushing my purchase, hoping that the price on Flipkart may come down or some good offer may come up. But nothing yet, so thinking of purchasing from Indiatimes itself.
Being a heavy online shopper for last 3 years and being explored every small big shopping site, take my word, stay away from Indiatimes Shopping!
Biggest let down of this site is delivery time. It can take months and by the time time they ship for e.g. mobile/tablet you would find much better deal on other site
I know with 10-15% off coupon at Indiatimes the deal is tempting however if you are ready to wait and wait, o for it.

By the way why Xperia ZR? If you could share the reason or else its ok

And to add flipkart is offering 15% Cashback on purchases above Rs. 10,000 on Standard Chartered Cards and couple of freebies with Xperia ZR.

Last edited by HammerHead : 18th October 2013 at 07:30.
Old 18th October 2013, 09:48   #921
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
Being a heavy online shopper for last 3 years and being explored every small big shopping site, take my word, stay away from Indiatimes Shopping!
Biggest let down of this site is delivery time.
+100 to this!!
Of my last say most recent 40-50 experiences of which 3 times it was with indiatimes.com, & all 3 got 100/100 marks in this latecomer department.
Twice it was delivered after 3 weeks, and once i got an OOS message that too after 2 weeks!! Now, beat that...!
Old 18th October 2013, 10:50   #922
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
Biggest let down of this site is delivery time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePunter View Post
+100 to this!!
Of my last say most recent 40-50 experiences of which 3 times it was with indiatimes.com, & all 3 got 100/100 marks in this latecomer department.
Twice it was delivered after 3 weeks, and once i got an OOS message that too after 2 weeks!! Now, beat that...!
Although I have not personally experienced any issues from Indiatimes myself, a few friends did have to face the long delivery times upto 3-4 weeks. I guess its a hit or miss with Indiatimes on this aspect, but otherwise there are no issues with the product as such.
Old 18th October 2013, 11:41   #923
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Digital Camera Thread: Questions, discussions, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikanthns View Post
A query on the rate difference between two online sites Recently there was a comparo in the DIGIT Magazine on the low end cameras (below 15000Rs) which are having BSI Sensors. The best buy was Nikon Coolpix S6500 and if price conscious the best value buy was S6200. Now S6500 lists for 11500 in flipkart and it lists for 9600 in snapdeal.com! How come so much difference between two sites? Almost 20%! Can we believe snapdeal and go order it? How come snapdeal is able to offer it so cheap?
Moved your post to this thread where you have a better chance of getting a satisfactory reply.

My guess is snapdeal offers one-time promo deals, probably sourcing from those dealers who have surplus stock and hence are able to offer stuff cheaper than elsewhere. I am always cagey about buying electronics online but if it is new and in original packaging, it shouldn't be an issue. I bought my Galaxy Note (1st gen) from Letsbuy.com (later merged with Flipkart) and my wife's S4 from Flipkart. No issues in either case.

Have heard of people buying lots of services from snapdeal (visit to a dentist, can you beat that!) but please check before ordering electronics off them.
Old 18th October 2013, 13:19   #924
BHPian

I have had a good experience with snapdeal recently. Had bought 3 t-shirts. One of them was small in size and another one, I did not like the color. Raised a refund request and they arranged for the reverse pickup. It took two weeks from the day I raised a refund request to the day I got SMS from HDFC bank about the transaction being cancelled.

Regrads,
Old 18th October 2013, 13:42   #925
BHPian

Ordered for a book from Flipkart on 16th October at around 7PM. It was delivered today at 11AM. This is the first time i have ordered something online. Happy with their service.
Old 19th October 2013, 21:53   #926
Senior - BHPian

Flipkart's pricing is crazy these days. Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 was priced INR 23850/-day before. Today its priced at INR 25576. So even after their 10% off, they are essentially selling at street price!! I thank my stars as I ordered it day before and paid INR 21k odd after the discount
Old 20th October 2013, 10:42   #927
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post
Flipkart's pricing is crazy these days. Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 was priced INR 23850/-day before. Today its priced at INR 25576. So even after their 10% off, they are essentially selling at street price!! I thank my stars as I ordered it day before and paid INR 21k odd after the discount
That happens a lot on Flipkart now! Though every now & then, a gem of an offer crops up too. Just need to be vigilant & compare prices from other sites.
Old 20th October 2013, 11:45   #928
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anks_at View Post
That happens a lot on Flipkart now! Though every now & then, a gem of an offer crops up too. Just need to be vigilant & compare prices from other sites.
Agreed, I ordered OPTECH straps for the camera yesterday night on snap deal. The selling price was 1105/. There was a festive discount of 900 and the final price to be paid was 205/-. Took a risk and ordered it on COD . Hoping the delivered product is genuine and defect free

The Online Shopping Thread-snapdeal.jpg
Old 22nd October 2013, 18:28   #929
BHPian

I bought a Sony Xperia ZR phone from Snapdeal, which was delivered by Blue dart today evening. The phone pack was sealed and the packaging good. But the warranty card has no seal or details of the dealer on it, and as one has to open the sealed to pack to access this card I believe the dealer had no choice as well. I'd like to know whether there will be any problems in the future, regarding the warranty of the phone.
Old 22nd October 2013, 18:33   #930
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I bought a Sony Xperia ZR phone from Snapdeal, which was delivered by Blue dart today evening. The phone pack was sealed and the packaging good. But the warranty card has no seal or details of the dealer on it, and as one has to open the sealed to pack to access this card I believe the dealer had no choice as well. I'd like to know whether there will be any problems in the future, regarding the warranty of the phone.
Keep safe the bill provided by Snapdeal alongwith the 'blank' warranty card and you are good to go

Most Viewed