Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2014, 19:13   #1171
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)
re: The "Online Shopping" Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crow View Post
New Yorker published an excellent piece on whether Amazon is bad for books recently. It's a great long . It's by George Packer. A quick web search should point you to it.

Excellent well written, well researched article with some highly plausible postulates indeed. Worth reading I would say.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 19th February 2014 at 19:17.
Old 19th February 2014, 19:23   #1172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Excellent well written, well researched article with some highly plausible postulates indeed. Worth reading I would say.
Neither of you posted the link here? Here it is:

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2...urrentPage=all

I personally feel (knowing a few authors myself) that taking out the publisher off this loop can't be bad at all. But then it requires several independent (e-Book) publishing options and a marketplace (Amazon will do) where such independently published works can be discovered and purchased.
Old 19th February 2014, 20:17   #1173
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post

I personally feel (knowing a few authors myself) that taking out the publisher off this loop can't be bad at all. But then it requires several independent (e-Book) publishing options and a marketplace (Amazon will do) where such independently published works can be discovered and purchased.

I am not sure if you know it, but you can actually publish your works via Kindle publishing services.
The Amazon boys have taken things to a completely different level.
Old 19th February 2014, 20:31   #1174
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post

What does seem concerning is Amazon doesn't seem to be interested in the 'collaborate to publish' idea at all. The part about Kindle's VP (Russ Grandinetti?) dodging answering a pointed question about participating publishers in the Kindle Singles program is telling. Seems pretty much like an Amazon Vs publishing houses scenario. I wouldn't jump into judging either side, but the authors seem to be the losers in this tug-of-war.

The article also seems to give an impression that 'lesser known' authors are in a real bind about which way to take. Get published by Amazon but risk getting lost in a deluge, or approach an established publisher and risk not getting published at all. What's worse is the ones that went with the Amazon idea don't seem too happy post-facto.

A very interesting read, well researched and totally lacking partisan rhetoric.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 19th February 2014 at 20:33.
Old 20th February 2014, 08:17   #1175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I am not sure if you know it, but you can actually publish your works via Kindle publishing services.
The Amazon boys have taken things to a completely different level.
I do (and the authors who I claim to know use this service as well). My point was that we need several more such Amazons so that future authors can shop around for better deals. There are small independent publishing houses, but none with the kind of visibility or reach that Amazon has.
Old 20th February 2014, 08:46   #1176
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
This i2c seller, rather reseller, who resells GEB items listed abroad, is one of the worst sellers you can buy from.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Quite true. Just wanted the ebay assurance in the middle that is why had to opt for him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by satyamkaushik View Post
^^ I somehow had a really bad experience shopping for a Mobile phone on eBay (US).
Quote:
Shopping on ebay (US) is quite different from Global ebay.in. Here you are assured of delivery till your doorstep or full money refunded, delivery to your home is usually done by Bluedart, no custom hassles, payment in rupees not in dollars.
Quote:
Chances are that eBay will not act against this re seller (i2c world) like it would with other sellers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
please post the details for benefits of all users. this otherwise looks interesting.
Quote:
Well I have purchased 2 phones in the past from this reseller with zilch issues. I would rather go by my own experience rather than anyone else's.
Quote:
^^^Of course, most of us do. Its just worth keeping in mind that mostly no seller will give a bad experience to ALL their buyers.
Unprofessionalism, blatant lies is another factor when it comes to i2c.

Just a note of caution to others who may be tempted to go with GEB/i2cworld for such deals.
I bought some filters from i2cworld and never had a problem. Maybe it's the value of stuff you order? I was actually surprised at the speed with which they delivered considering it was an overseas purchase and also, I got timely updates as well reg. the location of my package. Raccoon, would request you to share your experience.

PS: I think this discussion is more appropriate in the online shopping thread.
Old 20th February 2014, 13:13   #1177
Senior - BHPian

Lenovo warns users Amazon, Flipkart and Snapdeal are not authorised resellers

"E-commerce websites like Snapdeal, Flipkart and Amazon.in are not authorised Lenovo resellers. We encourage you to check your warranty entitlements when you buy from these websites," Lenovo said in the advisory on its website.

Source : http://gadgets.ndtv.com/internet/new...ome-editorpick

So, what happens if someone has purchased a phone from FK or SD? Will Lenovo not honor the warranty claim?

I remember reading a similar notification on Nikon India site few months ago.

Regards,
Old 20th February 2014, 14:36   #1178
BHPian

Re: Lenovo warns users Amazon, Flipkart and Snapdeal are not authorised resellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
"E-commerce websites like Snapdeal, Flipkart and Amazon.in are not authorised Lenovo resellers. We encourage you to check your warranty entitlements when you buy from these websites," Lenovo said in the advisory on its website.

Source : http://gadgets.ndtv.com/internet/new...ome-editorpick

So, what happens if someone has purchased a phone from FK or SD? Will Lenovo not honor the warranty claim?

Regards,
Read this news yesterday. I am amongst those who have bought Lenovo from Flipkart. I believe this is a fallout of FK/SD selling devices at lower prices than authorized by the company.

Question : What happens to devices sold before this statement was released ?
Old 20th February 2014, 17:16   #1179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Received the Osram Night Breaker Unlimited H4 halogen lamps for Rs. 1975 inclusive of shipping charges.

Sourced them from e-PitStop (Link). I was a bit skeptical about this website since I haven’t heard of it nor had read any reviews before. Moreover, the Night Breaker Plus was discontinued by Osram sometime back and the Unlimited had replaced it. But the stocks haven’t hit many stores in India as yet. Bought the lamps but chose the COD option (just in case!) but the customer service representative Mr. Raghavendra a gentleman, promptly confirmed the sale over mail, called me up to finalise the deal (being COD) and shipped it using FedEx Overnight service on Saturday. I received it today.
Bought the same stuff from them. Since I am in Bangalore, Raghavendra was kind enough to drop by my home to deliver the bulbs. What more, he brought a set of Night breaker unlimited, Night breaker plus and XtremeVision, and let me make sure they are genuine before I chose the NBU. Delighted.
Old 20th February 2014, 18:13   #1180
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksport View Post
Bought the same stuff from them. Since I am in Bangalore, Raghavendra was kind enough to drop by my home to deliver the bulbs. What more, he brought a set of Night breaker unlimited, Night breaker plus and XtremeVision, and let me make sure they are genuine before I chose the NBU. Delighted.
Very nice!

I did not get the invoice for my purchase so sent him a mail requesting him for one. He sent me a copy of the invoice the same night. I am impressed with the level of customer support from these folks.
Old 20th February 2014, 18:19   #1181
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Lenovo warns users Amazon, Flipkart and Snapdeal are not authorised resellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post

Regards,
I remember reading something similar from Tissot for its watches. I guess one needs to make sure before buying from there online stores.
Old 20th February 2014, 18:54   #1182
BHPian

How exactly does one find a "GREAT" deal on ebay's global easybuy thing? Everything to me seems ridiculously overpriced than their Indian counterparts.
Old 20th February 2014, 19:00   #1183
BANNED

Flipkart and Amazon are marketplaces in India.

Or lets say, as per the FDI norms, they have re-invented themselves beautifully as Marketplaces where buyers meet sellers and vice versa.

As long as the products are sold by "Authorized Resellers" using Flipkart and/or Amazon as a mere "Marketplace Medium", of course, all standing warranties for these products should definitely apply.

The only grey area that I see right now is that when you buy the item, will you get a "Stamped and Sealed Warranty" or do they expect you to use the bill as the warranty?

If it is the latter, then Lenovo and others who are grumbling right now, are within their rights to refuse to honour the warranty, citing this notice.

An Anecdotal Aside:
For example, two years back or so, I bought a Samsung Microwave oven on Flipkart. The boxed item arrived home as a sealed piece and I opened it myself in front of the representative.
I asked him at the time about who would fulfil the warranty if required because the warranty papers were all nicely packed inside the microwave and were in pristine clean white condition, absolutely un-tarnished by a warranty seal/signature when I opened them!
He said to me that the bill itself acts as the warranty. I took him at face value and let it go. Thankfully that Microwave is still working perfectly well.

Another thing. The reason for all this friction is simply because all the physical stores/ offline resellers/retailers are up in arms because ostensibly, many of the products sold online through these sites, are heavily marked down and there appears to be a price war going on, with lots of under-cutting etc.

Questions that spring to my mind are;
1.Who is bearing the cost of this price war? Is it the re-seller who is listed on the market place?
2. Is it the Distributor who is supplying the reseller?
3. Or are these special prices like a sort of "loss leader" marketing investment being made by the "Marketplace Sites" themselves, in order to gain greater traction?
Old 20th February 2014, 19:27   #1184

Most of the time the warranty card would be intact for the products brought from these online market places, but it would not be having any stamp or date mentioned. Never had a situation in which I had to claim warranty, but not sure if the OEM would honour that if a need arises.

A perplexing question is how a so called non-authorized retailer gets hold of an item which carries official import sticker ?

In case of flipkart, majority of the items are sold by WS-Retail, which seems to be a subsidiary or flipkart themselves.
Old 21st February 2014, 02:12   #1185
Team-BHP Support

Most Indian appliance retailers (even brick & mortar stores), refuse to fill in and sign warranty cards. Even if you insist and they oblige, 'Original Bill' acts as warranty for them ultimately.

And it's not isolated to any one type of vendor, I've had this said to me by a whole variety of retailers (cellphones, home appliances, car batteries, you name it). My battery vendor specifically warned me not to lose the invoice or he'll have nothing to do with my warranty claims, if any arise, signed/stamped warranty card be damned.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 21st February 2014 at 02:15.

Most Viewed