Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2014, 11:24   #1951
BHPian

re: The "Online Shopping" Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksport View Post
In my case, infibeam shipped in time, but GATI took its own sweet time to move it around. For example it took two days for the package to travel from ekm to tvm. As if somebody walked down with it.

I have now placed an order for a mi power bank with flipkart. No COD. Hope to have a better experience.
The flipkart package arrived within 48 hours of placing the order. I never expected it come so fast to Trivandrum. Was enough for me to forget all the ordeal I had yesterday morning trying to buy their "steal deals".

A word on the MI power bank. It looks like a delicious piece of metal. Hints of Apple on it, and built well too. Worth every rupee spent.

Another word to those shifting their allegiance to Amazon. Beware of fakes. Since Amazon does not sell directly, and relies on third party sellers, there are chances that some of the products they sell are fakes. I have so far encountered a fake pen drive and an SD card. Amazon refunded the money in case of the pen drive, and in case of the SD card, I discovered it quite late. In Flipkart I wouldn't trust any seller other than WS Retail.
Old 7th October 2014, 12:15   #1952
Senior - BHPian

The Jopasu car duster is available for 499 on Snapdeal. This is the cheapest I have seen this product being available online.

http://www.snapdeal.com/product/jopa...ter/1068253054
Old 7th October 2014, 12:48   #1953
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
The Jopasu car duster is available for 499 on Snapdeal. This is the cheapest I have seen this product being available online.

Was for 399 yesterday in the sale, but not for my my pincode! I wanted it.
Old 7th October 2014, 13:03   #1954
BANNED

Ordered Nokia X from Flipkart Sales yesterday, Made the payment just to realize the product is no more on sale/Has gone OOS.

This is what Flipkart has to say!

The Online Shopping Thread-fake.jpg
Old 7th October 2014, 13:08   #1955
Senior - BHPian

Flipkart is making a fool of themselves, by all these misadventures. I can't believe them asking the customer to send the bank statement rather than checking their own accounts for the refund. On the other hand my trust in Amazon is increasing with each passing transactions, specially those fulfilled by Amazon.

Last edited by poloman : 7th October 2014 at 13:09.
Old 7th October 2014, 13:16   #1956
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Yep, they did achieve a lot of traffic. The billion hits is a number useful only in * wagging contests (just going to their homepage counts as 50+ hits, for example) so the key number is $100 million in GMV (not sales as you say). It is tough to put that number in any perspective without knowing their cost of running today's activity and the revenue they had from it, though.

What I'd really like to know is how the economics worked out for them. Who underwrote the discounts? How much of a cost hit did FK take?.
Online business / etailing is all about Valuation game , all these companies are interested in increasing traffic to the site and the target is to ensure no. of bills per day / hour irrespective of achieving bottomline / margins / profits . All the multi million dollar funding is used to subsidies margin earnings .

Eg: We supply stocks to e-retailers at 25% margin and the same pdt is sold at 50-70% discount . Only companies with huge VC funding can afford such media blitzkrieg
Old 7th October 2014, 13:18   #1957
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohammedismail View Post
Ordered Nokia X from Flipkart Sales yesterday, Made the payment just to realize the product is no more on sale/Has gone OOS.

This is what Flipkart has to say!

Attachment 1296560
In India, if the transaction amount is fairly large I always prefer a COD, thanks to such problems.
Old 7th October 2014, 14:06   #1958
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm_arjuna View Post
Online business / etailing is all about Valuation game , all these companies are interested in increasing traffic to the site and the target is to ensure no. of bills per day / hour irrespective of achieving bottomline / margins / profits . All the multi million dollar funding is used to subsidies margin earnings .

Eg: We supply stocks to e-retailers at 25% margin and the same pdt is sold at 50-70% discount . Only companies with huge VC funding can afford such media blitzkrieg
OT but are VCs brain dead? I can imagine an upstart doing it. They aren't throwing a few coins into a wishing well but literally burning through hundreds of crores. There cannot be any business sense in this - what are the VCs smoking, really?

Do those who value these companies ignore the shaky foundations of many of these transactions?
Old 7th October 2014, 14:10   #1959
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohammedismail View Post
I am glad the order did not go through for you. I am sure you might have done your homework but from my experience, the Nokia X is a bad product going by the current smartphone standards and I made the misfortune of getting one for my wife few months back. The interface is sluggish, has nil application support from Nokia (not even a basic app. like WhatsApp!) and IINM all the X devices have been discontinued by Nokia sometime back (I think I read a similar news somewhere before).

Please stay away from the X and get yourself something like the Moto E which is a super VFM device. I bought one during yesterday’s sale for Rs. 5400 and folks with the StanChart/Citibank card got it for an additional 10% off.

Apologies for the OT post.
Old 7th October 2014, 14:14   #1960
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
I am glad the order did not go through for you. I am sure you might have done your homework but from my experience, the Nokia X is a bad product going by the current smartphone standards.
This phone was listed under Steal Deal for 950 bucks, I'm sure the phone is worth at least that

I ordered Moto E as well
Old 7th October 2014, 14:15   #1961
BHPian

^^ Gannu, it was selling for 700/-

Even I was trying, and would have just kept as a back-up phone, or gifted to somebody.
Old 7th October 2014, 14:28   #1962
Senior - BHPian

Guys I mistakenly ordered 3 Xiaomi Redmi 1s as they were not showing in my order list. If any one wants one in Delhi, please give me a shout else I will just refuse delivery of the two. Thank heavens I selected COD.
Old 7th October 2014, 14:38   #1963
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post

Ordered it & with COD, so if it comes before any better offer, I will gladly take it
thanks for sharing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanomics View Post
Was for 399 yesterday in the sale, but not for my my pincode! I wanted it.
Only if you would have posted this alert yesterday...

Ace.

Last edited by driverace : 7th October 2014 at 14:43.
Old 7th October 2014, 14:46   #1964
BHPian

Moto E ordered yesterday by my colleague. flipkart is unable to fulfill the order.
The only silver lining is they will be crediting Rs. 500 to flipkart wallet.

Dear Customer,

Greetings from Flipkart.com!!

Order ID: OD300944857555113000
Item: Moto E

We are writing to you about the cancellation of your recent order/s for Moto E due to a price error.

We understand that this has not been one of your best shopping experiences with us. However, as a token of appreciation for your continued support and trust in us, we will be crediting Rs.500/- to your Flipkart Wallet.

This promotional balance will be credited one time irrespective of your orders for the device.

Please note that the amount will reflect within the next 4 hours. You can use your Wallet balance, having unlimited validity, for your future pre-paid purchases with the seller WS Retail.

As we have now fixed the error, you can place a fresh order in case you would like to purchase it. We will make sure that it is delivered to you without any hassles.

We hope this helps and look forward to providing you with a better shopping experience in future.

Please feel free to contact us in case you have any questions or need further assistance.

Yours in service,
Flipkart
Old 7th October 2014, 15:34   #1965
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm_arjuna View Post
Online business / etailing is all about Valuation game , all these companies are interested in increasing traffic to the site and the target is to ensure no. of bills per day / hour irrespective of achieving bottomline / margins / profits .
This might have been true in FK's case a while back, but now with many years of a proven revenue stream, several M&A, more than 4000 staff, many companies with cross holdings and so on I don't think their valuation is done purely based on the completely intangible "traffic to the site". Investors - funds, VCs, HNIs etc are all using DCF and other systematic valuation techniques to put a number to Flipkart, I'm sure. Which means there will be definite pressure on the Bansals to keep a close watch on the numbers that truly matter.

Most Viewed