Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2014, 23:04   #2041
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The "Online Shopping" Thread

Quote:
I have depicted a screen shot from Flipkart's site that shows the MRP of Nokia Lumia 1020 as 63000/-. One of my colleagues in office actually managed to order one for around 12000/- , and it was delivered today. The box has an MRP of 26000/-
That might be an offence, either misrepresenting the MRP or selling above it. But I don't suppose anybody will bother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r
is there any collusion so that B&M stores can retain their margins.
The manufacturers have relations with their distributors and with the dealers. They have understandings, if not actual written agreements (legal or not) about prices that that can be displayed, discounts that can be given, whether one may undercut another, and so on. Serious pressures will be bought to bear, both down and up that chain. If you want to call that "collusion..."

In UK, decades ago (1964, I think), Resale Price Maintenance, which is the fixing of minimum retail prices was declared illegal. But it still happens.
Old 9th October 2014, 23:17   #2042
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety is Param View Post
Just few pages back I have depicted a screen shot from Flipkart's site that shows the MRP of Nokia Lumia 1020 as 63000/-. One of my colleagues in office actually managed to order one for around 12000/- , and it was delivered today. The box has an MRP of 26000/-

How can MRP change? I was always of the impression that the sale price fluctuates, but MRP always remains constant.
Hey,
I guess there is some confusion at your end. Nokia Lumia 1020 is being sold at 23k-43k on various websites (yes 20k difference in prices!) and all mention that the MRP is 62k. Although I don't know the MRP, but I don't think other websites amazon and snapdeal would try selling the product above MRP because that is illegal.

If I recall correctly, the lowest Lumia 1020's price went was ₹13,999 on flipkart for a very very short period of time and then it was back at ₹19,999. I tried buying at ₹14k but the price changed as soon as I added it in the cart!

Cheers
amansanc
Old 10th October 2014, 00:04   #2043
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amansanc View Post
confusion... at your end. Nokia Lumia 1020 is being sold at 23k-43k on various websites (yes 20k difference in prices!) and all mention that the MRP is 62k.
Thanks for replying;however, there's no "confusion" at my end. Why?

1. I am saying that the MRP on Flipkart was 62999/-

2. MRP on the box received from Flipkart is 26000/-

3. Yes, they can sell it between 23-43k as you say, or at any value between 1/- to 62999/- provided the MRP is 62999/-

4. But if they sell it at 12/13/14k saying that it's MRP is 62999/-, then we are talking about a discount of nearly 50000/-, whereas the actual discount as per the MRP on the box is only a max of 14000/-

Either the lot is different (highly unlikely considering the huge difference in MRP on the website vis-a-vis the Box) OR its an eyewash. Take your pick!
Old 10th October 2014, 01:52   #2044
Senior - BHPian

It is nothing but an eyewash. It is practiced everywhere (incl B&M stores) and IMHO it serves two purposes:
a) It makes customer feel happy about the overall deal/discount, and
b) It makes customer feel 'Smart'

We get combo deals where we get free gift worth 999/- for 199/- though its actual worth is 199/-. Eg in case we get set of pillows from Big Bazaar if our bill amount exceeds certain limit. Another classic eg. is Sunday Flea market at Shopclues.com which is actually selling lowest grade products.

WRT mobile phones, we have seen that the price is revised day by day, so all websites prefer to show the launch price which is very high and the current market price as discounted price. For eg. BlackBerry Z10 is available in price range of 14-15K but everywhere it is being shown as MRP 43K (Original Launch price) and CMP of 14-15K. If the buyer is not following the price of Z10, he/she may be tempted to pick one quickly and there is high probability of existence of such customers.

My take on BBD, I remember when people use to rush to Big Bazaar on 26th Jan/15th Aug few years back, but nowadays, most of the goods are sold on MRP, so the customers don't waste their time and fuel by going there and few of the stores I have witnessed are seeing a massive reduction in footfalls. At the same time, online shopping is a boon for people like us living in a state where customers are treated at par with beggars by most of the B&M stores.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety is Param View Post
Either the lot is different (highly unlikely considering the huge difference in MRP on the website vis-a-vis the Box) OR its an eyewash. Take your pick!
Old 10th October 2014, 08:28   #2045
BHPian

Can't complain!

EDIT: And I've seen couple of other screenshots for the same product/price. So say 3-4 got a Steal Deal, isn't that sufficient? Maybe they keep quota of 5 for 90%, and changes to 50% as soon as it hits 5. Obviously there could be technical slags attached to it given the high traffic, which we are ranting about.

The Online Shopping Thread-fk.jpg

Last edited by amanomics : 10th October 2014 at 08:37.
Old 10th October 2014, 08:49   #2046
BHPian

Amazon prices have also shot up I suppose, pre-sale. Here is a screenshot taken this morning of the increase in price of a printer that was in my cart for the last 2-3 weeks. The price has increased from Rs 6,250 to over Rs 8,500 -- that's an increase of >35% !

The Online Shopping Thread-amazon-screenshot.jpg

Last edited by Kumar R : 10th October 2014 at 08:51.
Old 10th October 2014, 09:14   #2047
BHPian

Guys,

Samsung DV150F 16.2MP Smart WiFi Digital Camera
@ 5K (not included additional 10% cash back on HDFC cards)

Worth it as a second/travel/back up camera at home?

Checked, it's 6~8K on other Snapdeal/Flipkart.

Ace.

Last edited by driverace : 10th October 2014 at 09:43.
Old 10th October 2014, 09:29   #2048
BHPian

Ordered a Micromax A350 in a lightning deal for 12000 on amazon today.
Old 10th October 2014, 10:22   #2049
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumar R View Post
Amazon prices have also shot up I suppose, pre-sale. Here is a screenshot taken this morning of the increase in price of a printer that was in my cart for the last 2-3 weeks. The price has increased from Rs 6,250 to over Rs 8,500 -- that's an increase of >35% !
Same vendor? I have seen that when you search for a product, Amazon shows the lowest price among all vendors. Then when the vendor offering that lowest price runs out of stock, the next lowest-priced vendor is chosen for display. And so on.
Old 10th October 2014, 10:53   #2050
Senior - BHPian

While everyone is talking about Mobiles, HDDs, Shoes, Sunglasses, etc etc high end stuff, I was on the hunt for something worth a need for my family.

So I bought this: http://www.amazon.in/Pampers-Extra-L...rhf_gw_p_img_6

The Online Shopping Thread-pampers.jpg

Printed Price: Rs.565
Price at Local Medical Shop: Rs. 548 (3% Discount)
Price at Apollo Pharmacy: Rs. 536 (5% Discount)
Price on Amazon Yesterday (09/10): Rs. 508 (10% Discount)
Price on Amazon Today (10/10): Rs. 498 (12% Discount) !!!

Couldn't get a better deal / discount than this !! Truely amazed at this amazing discount by Amazon.
Old 10th October 2014, 11:00   #2051
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
While everyone is talking about Mobiles, HDDs, Shoes, Sunglasses, etc etc high end stuff, I was on the hunt for something worth a need for my family.

So I bought this: http://www.amazon.in/Pampers-Extra-L...rhf_gw_p_img_6

Couldn't get a better deal / discount than this !! Truely amazed at this amazing discount by Amazon.
PM me your email ID. In 2012, I got a crazy offer from an ecom site for ~30% off diapers. I used that contact atleast 8 months, and then another friend did. I can forward you that contact, though we used it in NCR only - no harm in trying, right?

Old 10th October 2014, 11:11   #2052
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Same vendor? I have seen that when you search for a product, Amazon shows the lowest price among all vendors. Then when the vendor offering that lowest price runs out of stock, the next lowest-priced vendor is chosen for display. And so on.
Yes, same vendor. The cart does not automatically get updated with the same product from another seller -- if you see below the highlighted bit in my screenshot you can see another item (a Seagate HDD) which has been removed from my cart because the seller no longer stocks it but other sellers have it. I suppose this makes sense as customers could be finicky about a particular seller. But the price hike is inexplicable!
Old 10th October 2014, 11:17   #2053
BHPian

Car covers at INR599/- (after 85% discount). Worth?

https://www.snapdeal.com/product/cov...ver/1389072601
Old 10th October 2014, 11:21   #2054
Team-BHP Support

Ordered a Samsung 8 GB Class 6 micro SD card for the Moto E from Amazon (Amazon fulfilled). Price was the cheapest here compared to Snapdeal and Flipkart which were charging more for shipping.

Amazon does have a next day and 2nd day delivery for Rs. 50 and Rs. 100 more. Did not opt for that though since the requirement wasn’t urgent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumar R View Post
Tamil Nadu has the distinction of being the only state in India to pass a law restricting prizes - no doubt there was some complicated reasoning behind it. The law is called the Tamil Nadu Prize Schemes (Prohibition) Act, 1979.
Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Not recent - more than a decade old. All sorts of lotteries, lucky draws etc. are banned in TN.
Didn't know that! Thank you.

Quote:

The price has gone down to Rs. 443 today!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 10th October 2014 at 11:42.
Old 10th October 2014, 11:23   #2055
BHPian

Quote:

I just placed an order in Amazon for Mamy poko XXL. They are limiting it to 2 per order.
Checkout offers in Hypercity if you have one near you. Mostly they have about 100-120 off but not sure for XL's . M and L has the greatest deiscounts

Flipkart had good offers sometime back. Not sure about them now

Most Viewed