Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2014, 14:18   #2266
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The "Online Shopping" Thread

This took two days to go hardly anywhere and hasn't moved since then. Will they actually deliver by 28th?

Name:  fktracking.png
Views: 989
Size:  37.0 KB
Old 26th October 2014, 15:20   #2267
BHPian

This is taking forever. Slowest shipment thus far.
Attached Thumbnails
The Online Shopping Thread-flip.jpg  

Old 26th October 2014, 22:43   #2268
Team-BHP Support

My Amazon package has been lying in the Bangalore facility for a full 5 days now, according to their own package tracker. Even accounting for a couple of days off for Diwali, it's pathetic service. Amazon isn't getting my money, this time or anytime soon.

And it isn't just the free delivery. There are plenty of frustrated people around me who've paid for faster delivery and still waiting for shipments.
Old 26th October 2014, 23:28   #2269
BHPian

I ordered an internal hdd (desktop) from Amazon and received the package within 5 days. So my question/confusion is-
The hdd came in a static free plastic wrap which is sealed and does not look it was opened. And was put in a cardboard outer shell. The shell was a mcb box. Is this how internal HDDs are sold. Because whenever I bought an external USB HDD I always got the manufacturer outer shell
Old 26th October 2014, 23:34   #2270
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v_2rahjo View Post
I ordered an internal hdd (desktop) from Amazon and received the package within 5 days. So my question/confusion is-
The hdd came in a static free plastic wrap which is sealed and does not look it was opened. And was put in a cardboard outer shell. The shell was a mcb box. Is this how internal HDDs are sold. Because whenever I bought an external USB HDD I always got the manufacturer outer shell
Perfectly normal, Internal drives are bare drives only - without any cables or manual.
They come in an anti static bag.
Old 26th October 2014, 23:37   #2271
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
Perfectly normal, Internal drives are bare drives only - without any cables or manual.

Thanks for the fast reply Mr. Captain Slow
Old 27th October 2014, 02:46   #2272
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v_2rahjo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
My theory: These drives are bought-in-bulk OEM drives. A retail unit comes in a printed box such as one might expect to see on a shop shelf.

Why? Obviously, lowest-price buying option for the dealer: No idea how many would have been in the outer packing.

Any problem? Well, they certainly should have more protection than an antistatic bag. The should at least have a shell package that gives some protection against shock. A hard drive is still a fairly fragile thing, even though things have moved on from the first, full-hight (brick-size) IBM hdd I bought that said on the box: Warning: dropping this drive one inch is sufficient to destroy it.

Apart from that there just possibly might be difficulty in claiming warranty from the manufacturer. OEM drives are supposed to be supported by the seller of the machine they get installed in.

All in all, I do consider it a scam, but a fairly minor one. As long as the drive works, and goes on working, I don't mind not having a box to throw away. And I have a whole tin full of assorted computer-insides screws.
Old 27th October 2014, 08:18   #2273
BHPian

I ordered a laptop skin from Flipkart for my HP laptop which I found to be attracting fingerprints. The description clearly said - "Laptop Skin for 14" laptop". To my surprise, I received one that was 15.6", crumpled and too cheap in quality at Rs. 249.

Flipkart is too clumsy and a place for junk seller these days. Worse than ebay's seller platform.
Old 27th October 2014, 11:22   #2274
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pahwa View Post
I ordered a laptop skin from Flipkart for my HP laptop which I found to be attracting fingerprints. The description clearly said - "Laptop Skin for 14" laptop". To my surprise, I received one that was 15.6", crumpled and too cheap in quality at Rs. 249.

Flipkart is too clumsy and a place for junk seller these days. Worse than ebay's seller platform.
That is really bad! Did you complain about this? You are entitled for a full refund. Contact customer support ASAP telling them that you wish to return the product as its not as described.
Old 27th October 2014, 11:50   #2275
Senior - BHPian

These days its becoming a kind of gamble to buy products online. I ordered a pack of Cosco tennis balls from snapdeal, the seller rating was 4.9/5 with lots of orders processed. I received fake/duplicates. There was no Cosco logo on the balls and there were lots of spelling mistakes.
I complained and they picked up the stuff and gave me the refund. But, who wants all these headache. Pay a few bucks more and buy from a reputed shop.

I will be very careful about buying things online now.
Old 27th October 2014, 12:08   #2276
Senior - BHPian

The answer was in your post itself, Snapdeal. This is one shady site trying hard to compete with FK and Amazon with a personal investment by none other than Ratan Tata. This is one reason why on FK they have specifically mentioned "Goods sold on Flipkart are 100% original and genuine" on each and every page. I refer to Snapdeal as surprise store. Most of their products don't have reviews, only ratings.
Online shopping in India is just going the same way airline business was going some time back. Raining discounts, consolidation, Mergers & Takeovers, etc.
And this Diwali has exposed the efficiency of cargo management capabilities of all the courier companies. I have orders pending from almost all online companies which were ordered as early as 17th Oct. I am pretty sure, things will improve next year, or who knows some big player enters in courier business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
I ordered a pack of Cosco tennis balls from snapdeal, the seller rating was 4.9/5 with lots of orders processed.
Old 27th October 2014, 13:57   #2277
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
...from the first, full-hight (brick-size) IBM hdd I bought that said on the box: Warning: dropping this drive one inch is sufficient to destroy it.
You, sir, are revealing your age
Old 27th October 2014, 14:10   #2278
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
My Amazon package has been lying in the Bangalore facility for a full 5 days now, according to their own package tracker. Even accounting for a couple of days off for Diwali, it's pathetic service. Amazon isn't getting my money, this time or anytime soon.

And it isn't just the free delivery. There are plenty of frustrated people around me who've paid for faster delivery and still waiting for shipments.
Same with my order, it was at the Jakkur facility for 3 days, I wrote a email to their customer service department, and I got a message in about 10 minutes that the order is out for delivery. I am not sure if it was my email which did the trick or pure coincidence, but an email did help.

The packaging of the product was dismal. no protection what so ever. It was like buying from a neighborhood shop, no bubble wrap, nothing. I wrote back to amazon about this and they offered a refund and a free return, I needed the product and had waited for almost 10 days, so no point going through the hassle again, so let it be.
Old 27th October 2014, 14:38   #2279
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwatcher View Post
Tata. This is one reason why on FK they have specifically mentioned "Goods sold on Flipkart are 100% original and genuine" on each and every page..
I disagree mate. Flipkart has fake products being sold in the name of popular brands being sold by random sellers. If at all I do trust, it would be WS Retail only.

Case in discussion here is Nokia WH 208 earphones that is being sold on flipkart for as low as Rs. 180. The page says goods sold are 100% original, but the earphones are a replica of the original ones. Only one seller has the genuine version at 500 odd rupees. My dad was about to order a few until he read the reviews and came to know that it was a fake.

Regarding hard disks, the last four I have brought have always come in anti-static bags but they are stored in a cushioned box. I even got an optical drive in a sealed bag instead of the box I used to get before. Nothing to worry about warranty since I've been there, done that too

Last edited by audioholic : 27th October 2014 at 14:41.
Old 27th October 2014, 14:51   #2280
Senior - BHPian

That's news to me. I was under impression that they sell originals.
So that explains the Law of Caveat Emptor. We have to be prudent enough not to believe the unrealistic prices they offer.
The website Shopclues is champion in selling third grade fake products dirt cheap in the guise of flea market.
I have raise few times ebay guarantee claims and all were settled to my satisfaction, so I am overall happy with ebay wrt small products.
Amazon is fighting twin battle with eBay wrt small items and Flipkart wrt big ticket branded purchases.
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
I disagree mate. Flipkart has fake products being sold in the name of popular brands being sold by random sellers. If at all I do trust, it would be WS Retail only.

Case in discussion here is Nokia WH 208 earphones that is being sold on flipkart for as low as Rs. 180. The page says goods sold are 100% original, but the earphones are a replica of the original ones. Only one seller has the genuine version at 500 odd rupees. My dad was about to order a few until he read the reviews and came to know that it was a fake.

Regarding hard disks, the last four I have brought have always come in anti-static bags but they are stored in a cushioned box. I even got an optical drive in a sealed bag instead of the box I used to get before. Nothing to worry about warranty since I've been there, done that too

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks