Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2016, 20:53   #4771
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by purohitanuj View Post

How is that possible? How did you initiate the return on a wrong website! Or were you guys trying to return two products and one of them got swapped?
No. Like I said, two returns were happening at my place. Amazon guy took the shakeel snapdeal package, never to be heard from again.
Old 2nd June 2016, 21:34   #4772
BHPian

Re: My Experience - Flipkart's return policy

OT: Reading through the posts on the poor quality of service of Flipkart, coupled with news reports of Flipkart delaying the joining of management graduates from premier institutions like IIMs by some 6 months citing restructuring exercise, I am inclined to believe Flipkart isn't doing too well. The competition from the likes of Amazon and Snapdeal, and inability to improve upon the customer experience might have led to this. The poor service might be because of demotivation among the staff, and inconsistent business strategies with frequent policy changes confusing customers and employees alike.
Old 2nd June 2016, 22:46   #4773
BANNED

I had ordered for a pair of jeans from flipkart. The order was for a regular fit Pepe jeans but they had sent me skin fit instead. I called their helpline & told them about it & they arranged to take it back & send my money back in ten days. Had a good experience till now with them.
Old 3rd June 2016, 09:14   #4774
Distinguished - BHPian

I've a target audience to post my query now, in real life I cannot bring myself to ask such a question to people but over here I can phrase it much better and also give reasons why I NEVER shop online & never have until now.

Why do people do it? Specially when it comes to clothes and shoes, the size & shape are important - the clothes must neither be too big nor too small and the shoe size even if it is correct, there is no guarantee of comfort as the shapes/hardness/softness/flexibility varies. Why do online retailing sites think it is ok to sell wearables without the customers touching or feeling them? Its a joke in my view.

Electronics - Why do people purchase them online? I've read several tens if not close to a hundred negative reviews of receiving the wrong product, or a product with an old manufacturing date or even a used/pre-opened box with scratches on the product when buying online. I go to the shop, check the condition of the box & seal and buy with full assurance that the box hasn't been tossed around by shipping companies, opened, re-sealed and passed on again. Isn't the newness factor part of the thrill of buying?

Return policy - Both the online shipping giants have touted this as the greatest thing to happen since the invention of the wheel, but why? The way I see it shouldn't they curb the error-rate during deliveries rather than admit that errors will happen during deliveries and that one can return the product n times if not satisfied? Worst part is the way they reject the returns for conditions specified by themselves as the OP has narrated!!

Online shopping websites are the glorified, snobby cousins of the humble courier companies/Indian Post, nothing more. They have essentially 2 jobs -1) To correctly write down the specifications of the product, fully and legibly, so that there is less scope for a refund 2) To write down clearly the terms of return per product and live up to that. They recruit IIM students for what? To make more tempting advertisements on t.v with the slogan "feel-good" "GREAT SALE!!!" "Shopping Festival" yeah right, those are played out now and the truth is becoming obvious. Each time a product is returned there is a potential of the box being opened & product being used.. only to be repackaged and sent to another buyer, each time a product is being returned a customer wastes 3-4 days of his/her life in getting the originally intended product into his/her hands. Logic is it not?

Its not just my opinion, I've heard colleagues in office and in several other places where they just lose their mind and start yelling expletives at Snapdeal, Flipkart (the most common) and Amazon.. I've heard words like police FIR, lawyer, case etc.. all for a product that costs a few thousand rupees!! Me? No thanks, I like my peace of mind intact.
Old 3rd June 2016, 09:27   #4775
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
I've a target audience to post my query now, in real life I cannot bring myself to ask such a question to people but over here I can phrase it much better and also give reasons why I NEVER shop online & never have until now.

Why do people do it?

Electronics - Why do people purchase them online? I

I'd like to share my reasons on why I like to buy online.

1. Hassle free- I don't have to visit the shops / the shops are closed when I'm free.

2. Discounts- Even getting a rupee discount matters since over a period of time the discounts add up and save you a lot of money.

3. Home deliveries- I can order stuff for my granny ( in another town) and I'll sure the product reaches her.

4. Most online sites do have some product reviews. Helps getting feedback from others. Yes sometimes the negative reviews are removed, but many independent sites/ blogs have reviews of products and the sites themselves.

The one major reason is price. Especially on electronic products, the savings far outweigh the any bad experience you might have. I've ordered almost 100-200 products online and had to return maybe 4-5. Agree with clothes, any buy those online.
Old 3rd June 2016, 09:54   #4776
BHPian

Quote:

Why do people do it? Specially when it comes to clothes and shoes, the size & shape are important - the clothes must neither be too big nor too small and the shoe size even if it is correct, there is no guarantee of comfort as the shapes/hardness/softness/flexibility varies. Why do online retailing sites think it is ok to sell wearables without the customers touching or feeling them? Its a joke in my view.
Can't agree completely. Online sites also sell those brands which are available in offline outlets. And there is very often a standardization of shoe sizes across brands. So if you're a regular and know your size, it doesn't matter where you buy them from. Example - Canvas shoes.

Quote:
Electronics - Why do people purchase them online? I've read several tens if not close to a hundred negative reviews of receiving the wrong product, or a product with an old manufacturing date or even a used/pre-opened box with scratches on the product when buying online. I go to the shop, check the condition of the box & seal and buy with full assurance that the box hasn't been tossed around by shipping companies, opened, re-sealed and passed on again. Isn't the newness factor part of the thrill of buying?
Are you sure the product you bought at the retail shop hasn't been tossed, opened, re-sealed? 50% chance they have been put inside the box by the shopkeeper himself. Been there, seen that. And with online retailing, you have the option of checking the contents inside before signing the delivery slip. So equal both ways.

Quote:
Return policy - Both the online shipping giants have touted this as the greatest thing to happen since the invention of the wheel, but why? The way I see it shouldn't they curb the error-rate during deliveries rather than admit that errors will happen during deliveries and that one can return the product n times if not satisfied? Worst part is the way they reject the returns for conditions specified by themselves as the OP has narrated!!
I've had worse experiences with retail outlets than online ones till date. Even retail outlets will not take back goods for the reasons the OP mentioned. They are there to do business and not compensate for the buyer's carelessness. If they were at fault, it's another matter.

Quote:
Online shopping websites are the glorified, snobby cousins of the humble courier companies/Indian Post, nothing more. They have essentially 2 jobs -1) To correctly write down the specifications of the product, fully and legibly, so that there is less scope for a refund 2) To write down clearly the terms of return per product and live up to that. They recruit IIM students for what? To make more tempting advertisements on t.v with the slogan "feel-good" "GREAT SALE!!!" "Shopping Festival" yeah right, those are played out now and the truth is becoming obvious. Each time a product is returned there is a potential of the box being opened & product being used.. only to be repackaged and sent to another buyer, each time a product is being returned a customer wastes 3-4 days of his/her life in getting the originally intended product into his/her hands. Logic is it not?
Ignorance is bliss?

What does an offline retailer do with the goods some other customer returned? Throw it away or use it.himself? 100% guranatee he will sell it to someone else, you or me.

What's wrong with promotions, advertisements? Turn on the TV, 99% of the advertisements are of brands that you find in the retail stores alone. Even Maruti Suzuki does promotions 365 days a year.
Old 3rd June 2016, 09:57   #4777
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
The one major reason is price. Especially on electronic products, the savings far outweigh the any bad experience you might have. I've ordered almost 100-200 products online and had to return maybe 4-5. Agree with clothes, any buy those online.
The mechanics of savings, are quite complicated. I do use Flipkart/Amazon as a reference when the need arises to purchase a consumer durable, eg. phone, water purifier or television. Most of the times I've been able to match the online price at the retailer with only the water purifier costing about Rs.200/- more but that was less than 3% difference with installation free and done immediately so I didn't mind that one bit. The other 2 I got at Rs.1000/- lesser each with immediate delivery and/or installation. Many dealers today respond to you for delivery and cash at doorstep.. if they know you as a regular its all the more easier.

I simply do not want to run the risk of buying a pre-opened or should I say pre-returned product arrive at my doorstep. There are one too many cases reported in online buying sites and hence my faith in them is next to zero.

Otherwise yeah I do see your point, there are some good things about it but outweighed by the bad. The company that makes it the most simple or creates the illusion of being the most simple will most often gain the love of the public.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD_GHY View Post
Can't agree completely. Online sites also sell those brands which are available in offline outlets. And there is very often a standardization of shoe sizes across brands. So if you're a regular and know your size, it doesn't matter where you buy them from. Example - Canvas shoes.
True, a canvas shoe as you said can be generic and would feel the same as long as the size is correct. When deciding between a Nike or an Adidas, or the range within the 2 brands though is another factor. Each model has a different feel to it, there are some Adidas shoes using adiprene technology (runners shoe), some Nike's using spring-coil, and some soft rubber insole with foam layering as shock absorption. The retail shopkeepers know these things inside out and will suggest a model according to need, but not the online vendors who just mark the prices.

Quote:
Are you sure the product you bought at the retail shop hasn't been tossed, opened, re-sealed? 50% chance they have been put inside the box by the shopkeeper himself. Been there, seen that. And with online retailing, you have the option of checking the contents inside before signing the delivery slip. So equal both ways.
Yes I'm almost sure because most of the products I've bought were within a month of manufacturing with original packaging. The television and phone (Sony) I bought, for example were within a couple of days of dispatch from the manufacturing facility. Also I'm not saying that there is 100% guarantee of a pristine product from a retailer, its just that I've more control on which packaging I can choose to get, whereas in the online route they choose which day of manufacturing they get to send.

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

Last edited by .anshuman : 3rd June 2016 at 11:48.
Old 3rd June 2016, 10:19   #4778
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Otherwise yeah I do see your point, there are some good things about it but outweighed by the bad. The company that makes it the most simple or creates the illusion of being the most simple will most often gain the love of the public.

Yeah. True that. Agree that there could some sellers who sell opened products, but imagine buying a MacBook 20k cheaper than a brick and mortar store, or a TV with 50% off. Or even mobiles for that matter. Companies like Motorola sell exclusively online - what about them? I was apprehensive about buying from eBay. But I've recently started using that too. All you have to do is wait for the deals to come.
Old 3rd June 2016, 10:27   #4779
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Online Shopping Thread

My recent experience with Snap deal
Bought a RO booster pump from Snap deal. Make E-Chen. The photo shown on product page was E-Chen with hologram. Same product is selling for 1900/+ in Ebay and 1495 in Snap deal. In addition Snap deal mentioned one year warranty.
Product shipped form Ludhiana on 25th May, the day it was ordered.
Courier was XpressBees couriers. It reached Bangalore on 29th May and 30th May to nearest location K R Puram. From there they took 4 days to deliver after repeated complaints.
Once i opened the package, it is E-Chen only but without hologram shown in Snapdeal website
Initiated refund process. Let's see what happens.

Now have to buy it from Ebay
Old 3rd June 2016, 11:52   #4780
BHPian

Quote:
=======

Its not just my opinion, I've heard colleagues in office and in several other places where they just lose their mind and start yelling expletives at Snapdeal, Flipkart (the most common) and Amazon.. I've heard words like police FIR, lawyer, case etc.. all for a product that costs a few thousand rupees!! Me? No thanks, I like my peace of mind intact.
Well it appears that you have preconceived ideas about online retail. Still let me share my views on it.
Firstly in smaller towns you don't get as much variety even for simple things like apparel and footwear. So either you wait for going to a metro or end up buying something just because there is no other choice.
Secondly the authenticity of products is assured in most of the online transactions. For eg cosmetics, i feel very confident buying them online instead of the nearby mom and pop store.
Thirdly convenience. As somebody said earlier even i get time to shop only on off days or odd hours. Not feasible to do it without affecting work hence the convenience of online shopping. The lesser said about maddening city traffic the better it is.
Last but not the least the deals you get at times are amazing along with the hassle free experience and seamless payments without having to haggle over prices.
I suggest try experiencing it and then take a call.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 3rd June 2016 at 14:03. Reason: edited quoted post for better readability
Old 3rd June 2016, 12:22   #4781
BHPian

So now Flipkart has accepted that the website does not mention all reasons when returns are not possible. Also they have agreed to amend the website policy section to include the same.

All this action & drama only when I logged a complaint on NCH - National Consumer Helpline.

Here is the response from Flipkart:

Quote:
Case Status - Open
Case Remark : Spoke with the customer as he said that by mistake he had placed an order for a different product so he wants us to exchange with a different product so informed to customer as per the policy we would not be able to take back the product. Customer said that the policy should be clearly mentioned that if the order is done by mistake then it cant be returned. So informed to customer that we will take up your valuable feedback so that we can bring some changes in website.
Old 3rd June 2016, 12:30   #4782
BHPian

Praised Amazon yesterday and looks like my joy was short lived. An order placed almost a week back was auto cancelled and no explanation provided. Will be chatting with the agents to find out what exactly happened
Old 3rd June 2016, 13:15   #4783
Distinguished - BHPian

Flipkart also inspects the device before return now. Either remotely or via their tech-representative. Apparently a lot of folks were returning the phones after 25 days stating "Don't need it anymore". Maybe that's why they are treading with caution on returns these days.

Amazon has already done away with refunds for electronics, wonder if FK/SD will follow suit soon.

And an interesting article on the online marketplace.
http://www.livemint.com/Companies/kX...to-paying.html
Old 3rd June 2016, 14:15   #4784
Senior - BHPian

Experience with Jabong.

Ordered the Vans Canvas sneakers for my dad. Promised deliver was on 1st but received on 2nd June which I am fine with.
On receiving, noticed that they were very tight (though it was his regular size). They did not have one size bigger in stock and had to place a return order the same day i.e. 2nd. Today the guy came and picked them up. This was fast.

Now, while returning the order, there was no option to select other than Jabong credits for the refund. So initiated the return and shot a mail to their customer care that I would not like to have the jabong credits but have the amount credited to the source from which payment was made. Still awaiting their response on it.

EDIT: Just received an SMS that the refund mode has been changed from Jabong credits to Payment gateway as requested.

Overall a good experience.

Last edited by vinit.merchant : 3rd June 2016 at 14:43.
Old 3rd June 2016, 15:18   #4785
BHPian

Flipkart

Poor return policy experience is the reason why a prolific on-line shopper like me has completely shunned Flipkart and switched to Amazon & Aliexpress.
Had order a Speedo arena swim brief in size 34 (my waist size), on delivery noticed the size to be a tad small & uncomfortable specially along the thighs. Initiated a return on their website as per policy within 12 hrs and was asked to ship to the return warehouse address on my shipping cost. Sent by Fedex whose office is near my house, with all the original packaging, labels and box. All well & fine till now. I was waiting for the refund to get processed.
After a week, saw the package returned at my home address with a hand written note , rejected ! Wrote an email to customer care of Flipkart who replied that apparels like Swim suits cannot be returned ! What a poor customer experience, could have told me when the return itself was initiated. Would have spared me the hassle. It seems like in Flipkart the left hand does not know what the right hand is doing.
Anyway they lost a customer forever.

My gardener now struts about in an expensive Speedo brief which he uses as shorts.

Last edited by goswami.j : 3rd June 2016 at 15:21.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks