Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2017, 14:09   #5731
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Online Shopping Thread

In general, postal items seem to get through customs with less attention than courier items. I think couriers (especially the big ones like DHL) actually present each package as part of their import procedure, whereas post is just bags incoming, probably by the thousand, and items just get sampled.

I have paid customs on postal items a couple of times, so yes, it happens, but it is pot luck. Rather than getting upset about the rate levied on one item, I'd just write it off as part of the multi-order cost of shopping online for imports.

My recent China-shopping package was worth around USD200, no duty, so I guess I could think, hey, customs, I owe you one, and not worry if I have to pay what might seem like a high percentage on some other small order.
Old 7th December 2017, 13:25   #5732
Senior - BHPian

Amazon never published my negative reviews too. I had ordered an item from us and it perennially was in processing mode with no tracking details. Then i contacted the seller and he said if i cancel he will refund it. Why he did not say he cannot ship in the first instance.

I wrote my experience about it. Was promptly deleted.

Selective feedback is the one which gives the ratings. Chose at your risk the ratings, and your vendor from Amazon.

I felt Aliexpresss was far better. When are they opening up in India?
Old 7th December 2017, 13:37   #5733
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Amazon has not published my recent negative review either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Amazon never published my negative reviews too.
Are you people writing product reviews or seller reviews? Are they not publishing seller reviews (since I understand you have issues with sellers and not products)? Not publishing seller reviews is a problem because I often pick sellers based on the reviews and ratings. They will not publish seller reviews in the product page, that is a known policy of theirs.

On a different note, can someone tell me what I can do to make this package move?

The Online Shopping Thread-untitled.png
Old 7th December 2017, 13:47   #5734
BANNED

I got a used phone and it was an amazon fulfilled item. So where do i warn others? On the seller page or the product page?

I have seen amazon striking out negative reviews on seller review page if the items are amazon fulfilled.

What do they expect users to say on the product page when they receive an used phone which is sold as new (not refurbished or used or reboxed)? It is cheating. They (might be STPL the seller or amazon) resealed a previously opened box and is sold as new.
Old 7th December 2017, 14:08   #5735
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
I got a used phone and it was an amazon fulfilled item. So where do i warn others? On the seller page or the product page?

Logic would suggest seller page, since it's not a "product" review.
(But experience would suggest you do the opposite of what logic suggests in cases like these ).

If the item is Amazon Fulfilled, it still comes from the seller (it's just Amazon's "storage & shipment" services being used. It's not their job to check the product).

However... there's a small chance that Amazon is re-stocking "returned" items back into their inventory. That's the only exception i could think of.

Last edited by Rehaan : 7th December 2017 at 14:10.
Old 7th December 2017, 15:55   #5736
BHPian

I would like to share a bad experience of buying stuff from China. Had ordered a product worth $30 on 15th Nov and received the product just now. The shipping duration was good and I was excited to un-box my purchase. But to my utter horror, I opened the box to find nothing inside! Nada! The packaging seems fine but the product has been pilfered (whether from seller end, in transit or India post... who knows?) I am sure others have faced similar issues before. This is the biggest problem with buying things off Aliexpress, Banggood, Gearbest, etc. You are helpless. And since delivery happens through India Post, nothing can be done on that front as well. Especially in the pits of UP.

How do you all deal will problems like this? I am just thankful that i have never ordered any really expensive stuff from such sites. Cheers.
Old 8th December 2017, 00:52   #5737
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturaldisaster View Post
How do you all deal will problems like this?
You raise a claim with AliExpress. Whether anything comes of this or not I have no idea: I hope not to have to find out. It seems though, that a certain percentage of China purchases go wrong somehow.

Look at something you see quite often, which is, in case of return, buyer to pay return shipping. Which probably costs more than the item is worth. In other words: warranty none, throw it away.

It's a gamble.
Old 8th December 2017, 01:23   #5738
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturaldisaster View Post
I would like to share a bad experience of buying stuff from China. Had ordered a product worth $30 on 15th Nov and received the product just now.
How do you all deal will problems like this? I am just thankful that i have never ordered any really expensive stuff from such sites. Cheers.
Firstly, was the package sealed well or not? Chinese packages come in a sealed cover which will house the box or inner packing of the product you buy, very much similar to the Amazon/Flipkart fulfilled items. They will be sealed by the tab of the cover itself and nothing else like heat seal, tape etc. If anything of this was found, then maybe someone flicked the items during transit.

There are some cases when customs will open it for inspection. If yes, then they will pack it again with tape with a sticker stating 'Opened by customs for inspection'. If not, there should be no other attempts to tamper.

Suppose your product was completely sealed, and yet you got an empty box, raise a dispute and describe the case with some photos. You will mostly get a full refund or a partial refund depending upon the justification provided. I have raised disputes when some products did not get delivered a few years back when the shipping methods were random and vague and I have got full refunds.
Old 8th December 2017, 01:45   #5739
Team-BHP Support

Good customer service, bad product experience with Amazon yesterday.

Bought a personal care product. Packing quality has gone down recently, this box was in a sealed plastic bag, ZERO cushioning for an electronic item prone to transit damage. Strange.

Anyhow, the product box was damaged, seal broken, and some parts missing their individual foil packaging and full of fingerprints. Topping it off was bird poop patches on the product box (so it happened in storage, not transit).

Called customer care as it was marked non-returnable on the site/app. They asked for pictures which I duly sent. Less than 2 mins on hold while they discuss internally, they tell me they can't refund my money, but they'll send me another boxed piece. I'm free to discard the one I got as it's a personal care item tagged non-returnable and they'd be wasting money to pick it up and ultimately having to discard it themselves as they can't resell it for hygiene reasons.

Item sold by Cloudtail so there's no real excuse to ship something in that condition, but credit where it's due. They decided and remedied it quick once I reported it. Replacement arriving today.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 8th December 2017 at 01:53.
Old 8th December 2017, 03:35   #5740
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Item sold by Cloudtail so there's no real excuse to ship something in that condition, but credit where it's due. They decided and remedied it quick once I reported it. Replacement arriving today.
On the whole, I call that a success story, despite the initial failures. What gives people confidence in a company is that, when bad stuff happens, they will put it right.

Packing quality seems very variable. the stuff I have had from China has been chucked in plastic bags. and the individual product boxes, except one, falling part, appearing never to have even been glued. The products have been ok, though. A similarly-packed item from Amazon UK had the plug prongs bent, which is not easy to do! The device was ok and I agreed on a partial refund as, hey, changing a plug is easy.

A lot of Amazon stuff comes in good, sturdy boxes, but then they do silly things like put the items in and then fill the space with bubble, airbags, etc. The space is filled, but the product is not protected all around. I could do a much better job with very little more time and effort.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 8th December 2017 at 03:40.
Old 8th December 2017, 07:59   #5741
Senior - BHPian

Guys I have been purchase in stuff of AliExpress. But mainly inexpensive items like clothes etc. Have been majorly satisfied with it so far.

I now plan to buy some more expensive items like electronics etc. But not sure how it works when it comes to customs etc.

How do we pay the customs for these items if applicable? And when does it get applicable?
Old 8th December 2017, 10:51   #5742
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Firstly, was the package sealed well or not?

I have raised disputes when some products did not get delivered a few years back when the shipping methods were random and vague and I have got full refunds.
Yes there was one tape around the packing. The box inside was never shipped with any type of tamper proof seal or tape. So it could have just been opened and contents removed without hassle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
You raise a claim with AliExpress. Whether anything comes of this or not I have no idea: I hope not to have to find out. It seems though, that a certain percentage of China purchases go wrong somehow.
Yes better hope you dont. Nothing more unpleasant than receiving a package you have been awaiting since a month only to feel cheated a minute later. I think the issue mainly happens at our customs or even India Post. This is the main reason i have no qualms about ordering stuff on Amazon and flipkart. They use their own courier services.

Quote:
Look at something you see quite often, which is, in case of return, buyer to pay return shipping. Which probably costs more than the item is worth. In other words:
That is what i have done. Within minutes, gave the product a 1 star rating stating my predicament, and opened a support ticket. I received a mail then from the support team apologizing and offering to ship another unit to me. Though a little ambivalent, i asked them to go ahead, this time giving a different address. Lets see what happens.
Old 8th December 2017, 16:55   #5743
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Good customer service, bad product experience with Amazon yesterday.

Bought a personal care product. Packing quality has gone down recently, this box was in a sealed plastic bag, ZERO cushioning for an electronic item prone to transit damage. Strange.

....product box was damaged, seal broken...
Quote:
Replacement arriving today.
Replacement delivered as promised. +1 Amazon for efficiency.

Quote:
Packing quality seems very variable....
Same packing today as yesterday, stuff barely staying in the box sealed in a single layer plastic bag. These bags used to be lined with bubble-wrap not too long ago. Have left feedback in delivery section. Nothing seems damaged, will need to inspect thoroughly later.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 8th December 2017 at 17:02.
Old 8th December 2017, 17:02   #5744
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
I now plan to buy some more expensive items like electronics etc. But not sure how it works when it comes to customs etc.

How do we pay the customs for these items if applicable? And when does it get applicable?
It's hit or miss. Actually much more hits than misses.

If you would like your items faster, choose DHL / Aliexpress standard shipping. China post items are late to arrive.

Aliexpress sellers routinely undervalue their items, so if customs does not open the package and tally the contents with their list, chances are that no duty shall be required. You pay the duty either to the postman if it's some nominal value. Bigger items may require you going down to the FPO / customs office to pay the duty & release the items.

I have bought a dashcam (arrived in 20-22 days via singapore post) and a bluetooth phone/media streaming device (yet to arrive via china post) from aliexpress. A lot more items have been ordered & received from ebay china / UK via much more opaque shipping process. Though royal mail+india post combination is fast enough to deliver items in 2 weeks.
Old 8th December 2017, 17:43   #5745
BHPian

Is Gearbest shipping faster than AliExpress? For a nominal 1+ $ the delivery time is stated as 7-10 days in GB, hence this question.

I was tracking one of my Aliexpress order through 17track and it was showing a Alert status. When checked why the alert, one of the reason is it was shipped back to seller since it didn't pass the internal customs. Can some one decode the below status messages and provide a clear picture?

The Online Shopping Thread-17track.jpg

Inquired with the seller and got some usual response that they dont have control over international shipping and to wait, if not arrived a full refund would be provided.

Item ordered, t-shirt for my son.

Last edited by dre@ms : 8th December 2017 at 17:49.

Most Viewed