Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2018, 09:15   #5941
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Online Shopping Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
2. Got an offer from Cleartrip that "here is a cashback for completing 5 bookings" which I used for an overnight stay in Chennai. The site didn't accept the code. Called up customer care. They asked me to pay full rate and inform them the trip ID; they'll take care. Did so. Nothing since then. They used to be quite good but now each interaction with them is like a visit to the dentist's.
Two days after I posted this here I got a call from some sort of escalation team at Cleartrip. The chap promised a quick resolution and today I have received the SMS that the cashback has been credited to my card. This was quite a pleasant surprise. I don't believe in coincidences; my guess is that they have some sort of social media/forums monitoring team who picked up the original post. Anyway, better late than never. :-)
Old 24th June 2018, 09:25   #5942
BHPian

Just received my first ever order from AliExpress, a Yi smart dashcam.

Took exact 15 days for delivery which is pretty impressive. Came in a neat packaging, and icing on the cake!! had to pay no extra duty to receive my package.

All in all, the first order experience was good for me. I have not yet used the camera which I'll do later and post my experience on the separate thread for dashcams.
Old 24th June 2018, 20:09   #5943
BHPian

I've over a hundred orders from AliExpress and just been hit with the first customs duty. I purchased a universal remote from MI at a cost of 23$ and the custom duty was at 700 Rs. Bit unreasonable but I wasn't home and wife paid the amount. Not sure what the valuation was on the package either.
Attached Thumbnails
The Online Shopping Thread-1529851148333.jpg  

Old 25th June 2018, 19:58   #5944
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

From recent experiences.
Bought the same product (Aashirvaad Select Atta 1Kg) from a supermarket and then from Amazon Pantry.
Found that the Batch # is same on both packets, date of packing is off by about 2 weeks or so (14 May and 02 June), but MRP is 52 and 56.
Not sure if the price changed during this period (upward revision) ?

I did not lose anything since online price after discount was Rs.50 and also received a cash back on first order.

The Online Shopping Thread-price-diff.jpg

EDIT:Now price on Amazon pantry shows 52 with MRP as 56.

Quote:
Are they the same batch number? The photo is not clear, but seems to me one is 25A.M5 and the other is 25A.M6. M5 & M6 presumably denoting the month of packaging.
Both are "25A.M6".

**Uploaded another pic that is clearer

Last edited by NPV : 25th June 2018 at 20:21.
Old 25th June 2018, 20:06   #5945
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Found that the Batch # is same on both packets, date of packing is off by about 2 weeks or so (14 May and 02 June), but MRP is 52 and 56.
Not sure if the price changed during this period (upward revision) ?
Are they the same batch number? The photo is not clear, but seems to me one is 25A.M5 and the other is 25A.M6. M5 & M6 presumably denoting the month of packaging.

They can't have different MRP with the same batch number; that doesn't stand to reason. Could even be illegal.
Old 25th June 2018, 20:35   #5946
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Amazon prime membership is a a big fraud by so called world's most customer centric company. People whoever has prime member ship, please check non-prime price before placing an order with amazon. Many items have less price for normal customers comparing to prime price. We are paying extra price for membership and are forced to pay higher when we buy using it.
You can choose not to buy those items. In my experience although the price from other sellers may be lower but usually they charge shipping & delivery fees plus the extra hassle of returning it, if you don't like it.

You knew what you are signing up for, right? To call it a fraud, is a bit of an exaggeration I suppose. Also, Amazon is not responsible if you don't do your research!

In my experience, I have found a few items where some sellers are lower priced, but I have never bought from them, that's because of the trust the Amazon fulfilled or prime badge possess.
Old 28th June 2018, 11:55   #5947
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
that's because of the trust the Amazon fulfilled or prime badge possess.
You cannot trust them blindly. I have faced similar issues with Prime orders as well.
Old 28th June 2018, 12:58   #5948
BHPian

Quote:

They can't have different MRP with the same batch number; that doesn't stand to reason. Could even be illegal.
Nothing illegal in that. Batch number is printed for internal purpose of the company. If you see the PKD of the two packs is different which means the MRP has been increased by Rs 4 for the product.

Cheers,

Pawan
Old 28th June 2018, 14:14   #5949
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBravo View Post
Nothing illegal in that. Batch number is printed for internal purpose of the company.
Nope. On food products there are requirements issued by FSSAI (Food Safety and Standards Authority of India) that companies have to follow regarding the batch number.
Old 28th June 2018, 17:08   #5950
BHPian

Quote:
Nope. On food products there are requirements issued by FSSAI (Food Safety and Standards Authority of India) that companies have to follow regarding the batch number.
Could you quote the section/article from the FSSAI Act. As far as I know, the only regulation by FSSAI for batch number is the font size of the same.
Old 28th June 2018, 19:45   #5951
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBravo View Post
Could you quote the section/article from the FSSAI Act. As far as I know, the only regulation by FSSAI for batch number is the font size of the same.
The act wouldn't go into details such as batch number. The act will only enable FSSAI to come up with rules that manufacturers have to follow. These rules you can find in their website:

https://www.fssai.gov.in/dam/jcr:61b...egulations.pdf

It says:

Quote:
8. Lot/Code/Batch identification: A batch number or code number or lot number which is a mark of identification by which the food can be traced in the manufacture and identified in the distribution, shall be given on the label.
That is, the regulation demands this sort of tracing back using the batch number. So if batch numbers for different months (which use differently sourced raw material, we will assume) are the same, such tracing back is not possible. As a matter of fact I have heard that at large companies like ITC, Parle etc. they can pin-point the exact machine that produced a biscuit given the batch number.
Old 29th June 2018, 05:27   #5952
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
You cannot trust them blindly. I have faced similar issues with Prime orders as well.
I wouldn't doubt that; I have faced issues as well, but the resolution has been exemplary! And again, that's why the 'Prime/Fulfilled' badge is important.

Different Topic:
I was recently hit by import duties here in Toronto for a book that was couriered (DHL) to me from Bangalore! No idea why. Whereas items bought from Ali Express have been exempt.
Old 29th June 2018, 09:26   #5953
BHPian

Quote:
The act wouldn't go into details such as batch number. The act will only enable FSSAI to come up with rules that manufacturers have to follow. These rules you can find in their website:
Sir, with all due respect, it does. I have both the FSSAI Act book & the Legal Metrology book with me since I happen to handle food products for an FMCG company.

Quote:
That is, the regulation demands this sort of tracing back using the batch number. So if batch numbers for different months (which use differently sourced raw material, we will assume) are the same, such tracing back is not possible. As a matter of fact I have heard that at large companies like ITC, Parle etc. they can pin-point the exact machine that produced a biscuit given the batch number.
If you notice, it never mentions consumer anywhere or the utility of batch number to consumer. Since the date of manufacture is different, the manufacturer ill be easily able to trace out the line/time/machine etc of production.

Also, since the best before date for the discussed product is within 3 months, as per FSSAI laws, the manufacturer has to mention the packed date in DD MON YY & not just MON YY found in many products. This makes segregation & identification by manufacturer even easier.

Regards,

Pawan
Old 29th June 2018, 11:24   #5954
Team-BHP Support

Guys, can I get some suggestions for an online photo printing service please?

Planning to order a few frames from Amazon and get some snaps printed so I can decorate the drawing room wall.

I have dealt with Vistaprint once for some stickers but that's about it. Even they do photo prints but not sure if there are others which offer similar prints for cheap or better quality.

Please let me know! TIA.
Old 29th June 2018, 11:41   #5955
BHPian

I ordered a pair of H4 LED bulbs worth $22 from Aliexpress last month.

The package arrived yesterday and I had to shell out Rs 830/- as customs duty.

Most Viewed