Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2019, 19:42   #6481
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Online Shopping Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
Any body had this kind of experience?
I've had experience of giving KYC ID details to DHL, although it was for a delivery from USA. I think I've done it twice. The first time was a bit rough, with emails; the second was built into their site --- and they keep it for future shipments. No dodgy public-server emails, though: I'd be suspicious too.
Old 30th October 2019, 23:33   #6482
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
No dodgy public-server emails, though: I'd be suspicious too.
Thanks, I thought so too. I wouldn't regret even if shipment were to be returned than set myself up for bigger thefts.

Last edited by aah78 : 1st November 2019 at 00:37. Reason: Spacing.
Old 31st October 2019, 10:23   #6483
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have my doubts if this is a phishing mail as my order was with Ali and not Amazon.
The message you posted has spelling mistakes. A sure shot sign that this is not from a corporate mail. Don't bother responding.
PS: have the mods remove the email pic since it shows your email ID as well.
Old 31st October 2019, 22:54   #6484
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
PS: have the mods remove the email pic since it shows your email ID as well.
@Jaguar, that isn';t my email id, mine is the name in BCC. What I wonder is what could be the sources for the scamsters to know what I ordered from overseas.
Forget Google knowing what my favorite sandwich is, these scamsters could be knowing what I intent to eat tomorrow!!!!
Old 1st November 2019, 07:26   #6485
BHPian

Quote:
Recently I had a call from a mobile number claiming to be from DHL Customer service and said they are calling in relation with an ALIEXPRESS Order and for customs clearance purposes my ID proof was necessary. I said ok, pls send me a mail. Now I have received an email from an @gmail id.
A little OT:

You get this sort of email even from government officials - they act as if they don't know what an official email id is. This is just a way of avoiding any issues later, when they can claim someone else sent the email.
Old 1st November 2019, 08:49   #6486
BHPian

Quote:
I have my doubts if this is a phishing mail as my order was with Ali and not Amazon.
This does seem like a phishing mail. The usage of "adhar" and "pass port" jumps out in my head instantly.

There's a person named "Marshall" who has been BCCed, not CCed. Don't know how was it able to show BCCed email person's name. Jumps out again.

Plus, if it was an official mail, you'd get a more standardized mail with case/tracking IDs and with much better grammar. The mail would have used official channels, maybe asking you to upload the said IDs on some provided link, not just revert to their email.

Please refrain from replying or contact the Customs office with regard to the possible leak of information.
Old 1st November 2019, 08:52   #6487
BHPian

Quote:
Recently I had a call from a mobile number claiming to be from DHL Customer service and said they are calling in relation with an ALIEXPRESS Order and for customs clearance purposes my ID proof was necessary. I said ok, pls send me a mail. Now I have received an email from

It defo seems like scam, DHL seems to have a kyc website where you have to upload docs.(got via googling, please confirm with customer care)

https://www.dhlindia-kyc.com

I am having my doubts on the above website also and why it isn’t something like kyc.dhl.co.in.

I had used fedex and there they had kyc.fedex.com, customer care calls and asks to upload to website and not via mails.
Old 1st November 2019, 13:22   #6488
Distinguished - BHPian

Anyone having contact of Flipkart complains escalation? 17 days and order not shipped!
Old 2nd November 2019, 11:52   #6489
Senior - BHPian

Any feedback on licious ? I've tried freshtohome and the experience wasn't great in terms of the quality of the fish I used to get - wasn't really as fresh as they claimed it to be. Is licious any better ?
Old 2nd November 2019, 12:13   #6490
Senior - BHPian

I tried Licious at 40% off, for first time users. The pomfret was not fresh, and seemed like it was kept in formalin. But rest of the stuff was good (we billed for 6K worth of fish and stored it for a week), so yes we tried everything. Lol. Go for it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
Any feedback on licious ? I've tried freshtohome and the experience wasn't great in terms of the quality of the fish I used to get - wasn't really as fresh as they claimed it to be. Is licious any better ?
Old 2nd November 2019, 12:22   #6491
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Recently I had a call from a mobile number claiming to be from DHL Customer service and said they are calling in relation with an ALIEXPRESS Order and for customs clearance purposes my ID proof was necessary. I said ok, pls send me a mail. Now I have received an email from an @gmail id.
When ordering on AliExpress did you select DHL (from a list) as the shipping method?

Asking for KYC has been the norm for a few years now. The first time I experienced it was early 2016 for a network firewall and other gear that I ordered from the USA. The courier was FedEx and their request came from a Fedex dot com ID.

That said, it is possible DHL are a availing of 3rd party services. It would be best if you could call DHL's helpline and verify the source of the email before sending them any personal documents.

Last edited by R2D2 : 2nd November 2019 at 12:24.
Old 2nd November 2019, 17:26   #6492
Distinguished - BHPian

I am nearing the end of a story with iHerb.in, from whom I have ordered herbs and supplements a few times over the past four or five years.

Notwithstanding being a dot-in, they operate and ship from USA. They use DHL as couriers, which means the usual thing with DHL and customs: everything has to be right, and all duties have to be paid.

I received a request to reupload KYC documents to DHL. I proceeded to do so, only to find that every one of them gets rejected. Why? My given name at iHerb, and on the delivery label, is the usual short form of my full name, which, of course, appears on the ID docs. Never been a problem before: it is now.

I wrote, I think, three emails to iHerb, amounting to "Your problem: fix it for me." and to which they replied, "Can't: details must match."

This morning, I got a call from DHL, to whom I explained the problem. They advised, give them an affidavit. Stamp paper, document writer: hassle. But not that much hassle, and I am prepared to do it.

This afternoon, I got an email from iHerb: "In this instance, as you were unaware of requirements, we will issue a refund." Of the goods cost, not the courier, but hey, at least they are showing goodwill.

So now, I may or may or not get the goods. I may or may not have to refund their refund. Will find out next week.

Please note: it costs nothing to bash out a few more emails refusing to take no for an answer. Always worth trying.

With reference to Marshall's posts re gmail-address requests purporting to be from DHL, please note that the several emails and (as far as I can tell) SMSs that I have received from DHL have been from DHL, and that no information has been requested to be sent by email. Their entire KYC process is online document upload through their site.

NB: All "quoted" emails are, of course, paraphrased and reduced from a much larger number of words.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 2nd November 2019 at 17:31.
Old 2nd November 2019, 20:36   #6493
Senior - BHPian

The problem with online shopping ecommerce sites is the hassle of dealing with the customer support executives aka customer therapy executives when things do not go well. When it is a large ecom site like flipkart or amazon, there is nothing personal at all, though the queries are responded by people there is no human touch. The level 1 guys are pretty powerless to do anything and in some cases the package has been lost in transit and these fellows were waiting for the item to return to their fulfillment center to issue refund. Duh! Item is lost and they are waiting for it to return and till then the money is stuck with them!

If all goes all well then fine, we get a good discount (mostly) and a proper product. But when things do not go as planned (missed guaranteed delivery dates, leaking liquid, partially open package, missing item, damaged product etc) the hassle of dealing with them makes one wonder if picking up it up from the shelf of a local store would have been a better idea.

Well i bought 2 liters of peanut oil (should have listened to wife and bought from store). It was an amazon delivered item (not fulfilled) order received on time and payment was made (i do only COD/POD nowadays since i don't have to go after therapists to get my money back). Wife collected it. I saw the packet and it looked smaller than i expected so out come the phone camera to make proof.

The Online Shopping Thread-amazingon2.png

Sent the video proof as an attachment to their email with chat on hold. They receive it and agree to process the refund as an "exception". Received the same in the email also. Have not received the refund processed email yet. I am not in a hurry though.

The Online Shopping Thread-amazingon.png

The following is another incident in August where i thought I had lost the 256GB microSD card i bought. They were separate orders - laundry item and the micro sd card; but they shipped it together in shoddy packing. A little bit of the liquid detergent/conditioner even spilled because these do not have any internal seal but just the cap.

I started recording video after seeing the condition of the package, i was pretty sure that the SD card wouldn't be there. But it was there it lodged itself between the folds of the carton.

The Online Shopping Thread-amazingon3.png

They followed up with saying they will take my suggestion and pass it on to their team. But nothing happened as expected, more incidents followed - missing items, poor packing, damaged item (brake cleaner received without cap), torn package etc.

The Online Shopping Thread-amazingon4.png

The Online Shopping Thread-amazingon5.png

The Online Shopping Thread-img_20190914_155115.jpg
The Online Shopping Thread-img_20190914_155119.jpg

So now if package is torn I do not pay and accept, it goes back. But if item is missing inside the package, like the oil or the sugar above, i still have to go through amazon customer therapy center with a pic or video. It truly is a hassle. I can take photo or video but I cannot expect others to follow suit if its opened by them.

I do not buy much from flipkart, but after these incidents I have started to give them a try again after a long long gap. Liquid items so far has arrived with better packing, this is for their flipassured items, i will not try non flip assured stuff from them. Never. Again this is also COD only. No prepaid tamasha. If pack does not look right it goes back.

I dread the day when online kills offline, or it becomes the majority. I pray it never happens. It will not be pleasant!

Last edited by Sankar : 2nd November 2019 at 20:42.
Old 3rd November 2019, 01:15   #6494
Senior - BHPian

Flipkart 'bubble wraps' liquid floor cleaners before putting it in the carton (received today), so that's good. They do miss an item or two, very rarely, in grocery and I don't follow up on that, maybe I should. Even Amazon wraps things well in Bangalore (especially small electronics, cables etc). Never had reason to complain.
Attached Thumbnails
The Online Shopping Thread-img_6328.jpg  

Old 3rd November 2019, 02:12   #6495
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Flipkart 'bubble wraps' liquid floor cleaners before putting it in the carton
This is why I avoid buying such small items from Flipkart or Amazon. They are packing soaps and cleaners individually with layers of plastic. I agree it’s necessary to prevent damage during shipping. But many times, I have received more waste than the product itself. Hence I prefer buying regular household items offline.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks