Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2020, 00:42   #6691
BHPian

Re: The Online Shopping Thread

I had a strange experience during first hour of Amazon sale on 16th October. This was the day for Prime members. Prior to this date I had collected by shopping items in my wish list. These were all computer components for my PC build.

About 12:10 AM I started opening my wish list items, checked any discounts and then moved one item at a time to shopping cart. During this time I also saw that the motherboard that I have chosen has only two pieces left.

It is pertinent to note here that I had chosen Appario Retail for all items, for faster delivery.

During check out, after confirmation of delivery address I got a message that one item - RAM, out of many, cannot be delivered to my address. I thought this can't happen. Cloudtail and Appario has been delivering all sorts of items to my home.

This got me confused. Should I choose alternate address or remove this one item from cart. I also needed all items to reach me within few days of each other so that I can put the PC together and return any non working item. Unless all pieces arrive I can't even test it.

In the confusion I went back the my shopping cart, and phew! The motherboard is gone from my cart. For the next 20 minutes I repeatedly check that item page, hoping it would be listed again at same discount. It just kept mentioning "Currently unavailable, don't know when this item will be available again".

Ultimately I settled for a lower motherboard.

It appears to be that my motherboard item was "snatched away" from my cart while I was checking out and getting ready to pay, and the system flashed me some nonsense error message to stop me in my track. Later on, I just kept telling myself I should have finished my shopping faster and checked out faster. Lesson learned.
Old 4th November 2020, 10:30   #6692
Senior - BHPian

Does anyone have any experience with this comic book website?

https://comicclan.com/

I had chanced upon them and found a couple of Thor hardcover books which were much cheaper than Amazon and i bit the bullet.

After placing the order for both (shown as stock available) i got a call from them saying that these books were to be sourced directly from USA and that i should expect a 1 month delay. They were polite and courteous and i was ok with a month's wait.

That was in July...

Repeated assurances later, i am still waiting. Looks like 4k went bye bye.
deathwalkr is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 11:02   #6693
MSC
BHPian

For unknown reasons, Flipkart is taking unusually high delivery times these days. I am resident of a tier 3 or rather tier 4 location. Earlier the delivery took anything between five to six days but now whenever I look for any article, it shows minimum of 9-10 days.
In tracking package, the parcel remains stuck at one location for minimum 36 hours after which it is pushed further.
On the other hand, Amazon is delivering at lightening speeds. There is rarely an instance where package had remained stuck at one location for more than 12 hours. Seems the Ekart network is buckling under the heavy load of these festival sales. While the Amazon network is working overtime to deliver parcels.
Being a Prime member and having an Amzaon-Icici card plus super quick delivery is tilting my balance more towards Amazon rather than Flipkart.
Old 4th November 2020, 14:16   #6694
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Sure. And one of the worst things about it is that if I am googling an object, I first have to wade through all the e-commerce pages that sell that object.
I noticed this trend recently and it irritates me no end. I want to know details of a certain product, like specifications, performance, features, etc. So I type in the product name and practically entire first page results are e-commerce sites. Even if I append "review" to the search term, top results are still e-commerce sites.
Guite is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 16:27   #6695
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
On another occasion, of course, that might be what I wanted, so this is a tough annoyance to deal with. Most often, though, it is not. I can go to Amazon et al direct. If adblockers can block the actual advertising in google results, they ought to be able to block the "advert" e-commerce listings too. Yes? or no?
Those are not ads, I guess. You are probably talking of the assumptions that Google makes regarding your query, in the name of semantic search. It can be quite annoying I agree.

One way to work around is to qualify the search a bit. For example if you are looking to buy an iPhone, search for "buy iphone". If you want reviews then search for "iphone review". If you want to find the spec sheet then "iphone specsheet". You get the idea...
Old 4th November 2020, 21:29   #6696
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Those are not ads, I guess. You are probably talking of the assumptions that Google makes regarding your query...
You are right, they are not ads as such, but I strongly suspect that google prioritizes commercial listings, and I also suspect that it does not do that for free. Because why would they.

A search string with -amazon.in etc would help
Old 7th November 2020, 09:54   #6697
Senior - BHPian

Always double check the MRP when buying medicines online through Apps. When I cross-checked the MRP quoted for my mom's Blood Pressure medicines on the app and the actual MRP, it turned out to be higher than the printed MRP.

MRP Printed on bottle Rs.206/-
The Online Shopping Thread-whatsapp-image-20201106-20.47.41.jpeg
MRP quoted on App Rs.227/-
The Online Shopping Thread-whatsapp-image-20201106-20.47.40.jpeg

As I always had a slight doubt about possibility of such discrepancies and since these are BP tabs regularly purchased, I should've kept a check. Can imagine this may have been happening since a while, but its partly my fault.

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 7th November 2020 at 10:06. Reason: Spellcheck.
Old 7th November 2020, 10:14   #6698
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
Always double check the MRP when buying medicines online through Apps. When I cross-checked the MRP quoted for my mom's Blood Pressure medicines on the app and the actual MRP, it turned out to be higher than the printed MRP.

MRP Printed on bottle Rs.206/-
Attachment 2077279
MRP quoted on App Rs.227/
I see it is one and a half year old packaging. May be the price increased recently? Please check.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2020, 10:29   #6699
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
I see it is one and a half year old packaging. May be the price increased recently? Please check.
Thought so too, checked the price at a medical shop nearby - they had MRP of 206/- itself. Updated so people sometimes check price along with MFG & Expiry dates especially incase of regularly used medicines.
GrammarNazi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th November 2020, 10:39   #6700
BHPian

This may have been shared earlier, please delete if that's the case.
There's this site which shows you the price trend of a product on Amazon or Flipkart. Very often I noticed that the sale prices are actually higher than what the normal price was sometime back. You could use it to check if the deal is real or just a fake discount on an inflated price.
https://pricehistory.in/
Cessna182 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 8th November 2020, 08:51   #6701
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cessna182 View Post
... deal is real or just a fake discount on an inflated price.
Keepa helps a lot with Amazon (India also) https://keepa.com/#!
Attached Thumbnails
The Online Shopping Thread-screenshot_20201108084806_firefox.jpg  

mvadg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2020, 13:28   #6702
BHPian

Quote:
There's this site which shows you the price trend of a product on Amazon or Flipkart. Very often I noticed that the sale prices are actually higher than what the normal price was sometime back. You could use it to check if the deal is real or just a fake discount on an inflated price.
Price History also has an android app. Once installed, we can use the share the product link options in Amazon app and choose share with price history. This directly opens the price tracking page for that product in the price history app. Very convenient to use instead of always copying the link and visiting a webpage.
mtnrajdeep is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2020, 18:10   #6703
BHPian

Hey Guys some advice . After seeing a post here in our TBHP ordered a Blaupunkt New York 750 car Stereo and along with it a Logitech MK220 wireless keyboard during the Diwali Sale that ended on 13th Nov in Flipkart.

The Keyboard was delivered on 18th Nov with FK carton packing. I opened the FK carton package and found that Logitech packing sticker seal was open & the wireless receiver was missing. I raised a return request for refund since there was no replacement option. But FK rejected my return twice stating that their courier partner has confirmed that the package was delivered intact. I called up their customer care & explained that a wireless receiver is of no use to me without the keyboard & mouse but still no use so tweeted to FK and got a mail asking me to share images of either my Aadhaar or PAN and I have to give explicit consent to them to share my details with another 3rd party too.

Is this the procedure that is normally followed for issuing a refund and is it safe to share my PAN with these guys.

Attaching the copy of the mail as well. TIA

Note: New York 750 had a defective microphone and I have sent it to Blaupunkt for replacement as well.

The Online Shopping Thread-whatsapp-image-20201123-18.05.00.jpeg

Last edited by Aditya : 24th November 2020 at 04:23. Reason: As requested
smrtdvl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2020, 18:45   #6704
BHPian

https://www.cnbctv18.com/india/india...ps-7558971.htm
Aliexpress blocked in India. Won't be surprised if Banggood is next. We are going back to the 70s and 80s. Soon there will be a black market for products not made in India.
Cessna182 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2020, 19:05   #6705
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
https://www.cnbctv18.com/india/india...ps-7558971.htm
Aliexpress blocked in India. Won't be surprised if Banggood is next. We are going back to the 70s and 80s. Soon there will be a black market for products not made in India.
Install a VPN software on your phone, and you can use any of the apps. The stupidity of this government is increasing with every passing day.

Last edited by SmartCat : 24th November 2020 at 22:08. Reason: No political comments please
AtheK is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed