Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2007, 18:10   #1
BHPian

Secure file hosting site.

Hi folks,

I am looking for a secure file hosting site. Please recommend me some providers. SFTP will do. Also, looking for alternatives to FTP to download/upload files.

1) Should be affordable (sasta)
2) Reliable.
3) Fast.
4) Secure.
5) Alternatives to FTP should be easy to use.

Last edited by johy : 9th March 2007 at 18:11.
Old 1st September 2007, 19:35   #2
BHPian

Website hosting + Email solution

Hi,

After 2 years to trashy hosting and Email services, I decided to move from Rediff & Rediffmailpro. Since I was late as usual; moved to godaddy [www.godaddy.com] in a hurry.

Present status
1. Domain with godaddy.
2. Web site with them
3. Emails with them

Issues
1. Domain - No issues
2. Site hosting: Since mine is very small static website (www.medicoleadlok.com), no problems there as well.
3. Emails: It so appears that godaddy's mail servers are rather strict and do not allow emails from domains that do not have a valid reverse DNS entry (yep, it is geeky for me as well!). A lot of my contacts with their own domain names are facing problems sendings mails to me. Of late, this has become an embarrasement as well as a few customers have started to complain. All mails from Gmail/Yahoo and 'well taken care of' domains are coming-in fine.

Help Needed
1 & 2: All is well.
3. Email: Need help to choose another provider. Needs are;
a) 10~15 mail IDs
b) Catch-all a/c
c) Webmail acess
d) Disk space 1GB - Total
e) Resonable cost (say, all the above for about USD 75~100 pa)

Await advise.

Cheers
Old 1st September 2007, 22:14   #3
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsailor View Post
a) 10~15 mail IDs
b) Catch-all a/c
c) Webmail acess
Talk to mark (at) symonds (dot) net. PM me if you absolutely want to quote me as a reference (he knows me by a different name). All your requirements may not be satisfied by his normal packages, but their hosting is great - ALL linux servers - with uptime going into quite a few months!!!! He occasionally gives customised solutions, so he is a good bet.

I am not affiliated or related with them - not even his customer.
Old 2nd September 2007, 10:37   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Help Needed
a) 10~15 mail IDs
b) Catch-all a/c
c) Webmail acess
Xsailor,

Use google aps.

Google Apps

a) upto 100 email ids (i think)
b) catch all can be one of them, and you can set it up to fwd to everyone / tag as catchall etc etc etc using gmail filters
c) Dont exactly know what you mean by this? Pop3? SmTP? maybe..check it out
d) 2gigs+ per account
e) free

Note - if you want a 99% uptime guarantee and some other features, you will need to pay $50 per year per account.

Its just like gmail for your domain, its free, and it adds some other apps/features like group calender with shared events, shared contacts etc etc

cya
R
Old 2nd September 2007, 12:01   #5
Senior - BHPian

Email service

Quote:
Hi,
Help Needed
a) 10~15 mail IDs
b) Catch-all a/c
c) Webmail acess
Cheers
Hi buddy,
I have been using different services for my official site (you can find it in my profile) since 2001. First it was with register.com (standard package all deals are costlier) then moved to networksolutions.com (fair deal with all options on a standard package) and this year I moved my domain and hosting package to godaddy.com (standard pack). I know exactly what you meant by the godaddy email services. Since my usage is not much on a site related email, I dont find much issues so far. Receiving mails from all domains, so far I was not aware of that too. Networksolutions used to give me 100 email boxes on a standard hosting pack. Godaddy has a very limited space given for each box (25 mb).

You can try yahoo mail plus which I use and feel happy. Its only US$20 per year, you get unlimited space, strictly no ads on outgoing and incoming mail, access to webmail, POP3, SMTP, Mobile access (like blackberry, nokia E61/62 etc type phones), catch-all, and many many more features. Comparatively Yahoo mail plus is cheaper than any other hosting package related emails which would come above US$50-100 per year. Also you can create any number of email IDs within yahoo mail plus account which can be used for a temporary communication, which will avoid all spam mails later. Once a particular ID is used you can delete it when you want thereby blocking all spams that come through. You can PM me if you want further clarifications.

If I missed the actual point anywhere, Please let me know, I will specify on what you actually need to know.

Last edited by shajufx : 2nd September 2007 at 12:06. Reason: additon
Old 2nd September 2007, 12:33   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

After 2 years to trashy hosting and Email services, I decided to move from Rediff & Rediffmailpro. Since I was late as usual; moved to godaddy [www.godaddy.com] in a hurry.

Present status
1. Domain with godaddy.
2. Web site with them
3. Emails with them

Issues
1. Domain - No issues
2. Site hosting: Since mine is very small static website (www.medicoleadlok.com), no problems there as well.
3. Emails: It so appears that godaddy's mail servers are rather strict and do not allow emails from domains that do not have a valid reverse DNS entry (yep, it is geeky for me as well!). A lot of my contacts with their own domain names are facing problems sendings mails to me. Of late, this has become an embarrasement as well as a few customers have started to complain. All mails from Gmail/Yahoo and 'well taken care of' domains are coming-in fine.

Help Needed
a) 10~15 mail IDs
b) Catch-all a/c
c) Webmail acess

Await advise.

Cheers
well frankly i am a godaddy user myself and have about 7 sites hosted there

domains, space and i also have a an extended mail package, till now i have not seen any complains about recieving mail on go daddy, everything comes in, did yo try and contact support ad see if it can be worked out?
Old 2nd September 2007, 18:02   #7
v&v
Senior - BHPian

hi
there are two ways. either go for free service like google and dont expect any post sale services as its free or get a paid service like
rediff.com business solutions. (they are bit costly but good service)

there 1100 gb solutions is avaliable for 3995/-
for all these solution. to activate all you need to point your DNS to rediff.
it is always advisable to take a paid service as you get 24x7 support.
Old 2nd September 2007, 19:16   #8
BHPian

GO daddy is the best
Old 3rd September 2007, 10:00   #9
BHPian

Gee..Thanks guys for all the replies.

@BaCkSeAtDrIVeR
As I said, hosting was not an issue - email was. I will take a quote from Marc.

@Rehaan
That was my Plan B. I am on apps for my personal domain and very happy with the mail solution. Only reason holding me back was that I share a lot of 'proprietary' information over email and Google's security/privacy policy has lots of loopholes. Nevertheless, very good option.

@shajufx & ibcool
Support response

Dear Amit Seth,
Thank you for contacting Online Support. We have examined your issue and have determined that the IP address you have submitted (124.125.178.34) does not have a valid reverse DNS entry. You will need to contact your IP address provider and have them create a valid reverse DNS entry for your IP before we can submit it for unblocking. I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
Please let us know if there is anything else we can do for you.
Sincerely,
Shawn C.
Online Support
Technician
Unquote

As I mentioned earlier, it is not GD's fault - It is just that they are strict and not willing to lower their guard for customer convenience - I like it! but it is not working for me due commercial reasons.
Thanks for the info on Yahoo - I will look into that option.

@v&v
I mentioned that I am a ex-Rediff customer. In my opinion, Rediff is a poor service provider. Reasons;
- Try hunting for a 24x7 cust care number on their website
- They have a Mumbai number which is manned only during office hours
- No toll free numbers for outstation customers
- My hosting plan and domains were to expire on 30/08/07 - not a single mail or reminder for renewal. For a poupular domain [not mine, though], an oversight could lead to you loosing your domain name if somebody backordered it.
- 48 hours responce time for email queries.

Thanks guys for your help.
Cheers
Old 3rd September 2007, 12:04   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

@ Xsailor : If you want the absolute best in service, quality and reliability, just sign up with pair Networks - World Class Web Hosting. Yup, Team-BHP is hosted with them.

Take my word for their quality.
Old 3rd September 2007, 12:12   #11
Senior - BHPian

I would not say godaddy is the best after using the services of register.com and networksolutions.com because there are lot of higher quality materials available with others for a slightly higher package. The only reason for me to move to godaddy is the convenience of hosting multiple domains on the same hosting package. I have my personal and official stuff hosted with the same package on different domains which I find cost saving, technically easy to operate, easiness of having my data with a single server etc. I do not know why godaddy compromised on email space which is 25mb for a standard mail and just 5 mb for additional mail boxes whereas other providers give 500mb to 1gb unlimited boxes. All the 3 above mentioned providers have best 24 hour toll free support. If you have IP phone or Skype on your system, you can call the US toll free number anytime free of cost. These are the best things we feel happy about. Most providers have email box as a stand alone service too. If I want I can host my sites with godaddy and have my email boxes with networksolutions or any other just by pointing my email boxes to the respected servers. But then its expensive. Email boxes do not come without a hosting package as I understand. These are just few tips for comparisons and review. If cost is not a priority, there are so many ways to maintain a standard email box whichever way one wants.
Old 31st March 2010, 17:22   #12
Senior - BHPian

Suggest me a good "Web Hosting Co"

Folks, presently my website is hosted by "znet" am not happy with the service, so am looking for alternatives also whats the procedure to tranfer the "domain" name?

The domain name is getting expired tomorrow..

How to go about it?

Thanks in advance
Old 31st March 2010, 17:29   #13
Senior - BHPian

Mods request to move this thread under " Gadgets, Computers & Software "

Thanks
Old 31st March 2010, 17:53   #14
Team-BHP Support

It depends upon what do you want.
There are various companies like bluehost, hostgator etc., which serve various categories of user.
Are you looking for cheap shared hosting, in that case bluehost is nice. However, if you want dedicated server, you can go for pair, wiredtree or peer1. Great service, but at a cost.
Putting down your requirements will enable members to reply better
Old 31st March 2010, 18:07   #15
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Tanveer for the inputs.

Am looking at the basic setup. Just an simple website(html) with some flash components. presently there is no requirement for database or any apps...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks