Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2020, 13:12   #16
BHPian

Re: The LG-SL8YG Sound Bar : A review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker View Post
Thanks chaudharysaab and congrats to you to. The Z9-F is awesome, I heard a full demo of it at the Sony Center near my home.

There is no HDMI 2.2 (yet). Are you referring to HDCP 2.2? Or eARC?
No my point is are you getting pure Atmos sound output from you soundbar. Because native smart tv apps like Netflix send downgraded DD+ instead of true Atmos to soundbar and you need to have BD player etc to use pure Atmos.
For me, TV shows only Dolby vision icon but not Dolby Atmos whenever I start playing Netflix content. I have to use my XBOX one x Netflix app for pure Atmos output.
May be it is not the same case for you as you have LG soundbar.
chaudharysaab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2020, 12:55   #17
BHPian

Love the setup.

Im big on clutter-free and cable management.
You have got a sweet and tidy setup. Enjoy!
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2020, 12:32   #18
BHPian

Quote:
I actually downloaded both user manuals and checked them page by page. No other difference. Or at least none that I could find. One benefit is that the SL8Y is available for about 9,000/- lesser than the SL8YG!

I hope you enjoyed the review and if it helps anyone, it will make me doubly happy. Please do let me know in the comments. Thanks for reading and until next time, take care and drive safe.
Stryker - very nice review. Thank You. I had no intention of buying a sound bar, till I read it.

I have a 55 Sony 8500G in my bedroom and it begs for some additional sound systems. However, I do not have provision for concealed wiring around the room so, my old Philips 5.1 itself is lying unused in some corner.

Now that the bug got into me, I did some reading yesterday and came across another LG model SL6Y which is now going at good discounts - below 18k. I couldn't gather any substantial differences in the spec, 420 W v/s 440W, but most importantly no 'Meridian' technology in this. Did you happen to come across this model or do you have any other suggestions in the below 20k bracket, that you might have come across during your research.

Last edited by autotranny : 9th June 2020 at 12:33.
autotranny is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2020, 18:38   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redeff View Post
I went in the whole hog and got the LG SK10Y last year.
Thanks, redeff. I didn't buy the SL10YG for this precise reason. It is meant for 65" screens and above. But it also has the two side firing drivers, which add an extra dimension to the sound. Not to mention 20K more! But great choice in any case. The "G" just adds Google Assistant, so you are not missing out on much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaudharysaab View Post
May be it is not the same case for you as you have LG soundbar.
I'm not sure if it is an LG TV + LG Soundbar combo, but the specs on the TV says it can output both Atmos and DTS:X on the HDMI ARC. Doesn't mention anywhere that this is applicable only to LG Soundbars, but that may be typical obfuscation by companies. Where do I get DTS:X source? I haven't seen any on Netflix or Prime or any other OTT platform.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigneshkumar31 View Post
You have got a sweet and tidy setup. Enjoy!
Thanks vigneshkumar31.

Quote:
Originally Posted by autotranny View Post
I had no intention of buying a sound bar, till I read it.
Did you happen to come across this model or do you have any other suggestions in the below 20k bracket, that you might have come across during your research.
Thanks autotranny. Good to know the review rekindled the need for better sound in you! You might want to consider the Yamaha YAS 109 for the price range you are looking for. Haven't heard it, but all reviews say it is one of the best budget bars out there. No sub-woofer or Atmos, although it does DTS:X.
Old 7th August 2020, 12:14   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, Kingston. As you say "in theory" the TV cannot send Atmos over ARC, but LG has achieved it. There is a setting within the Sound settings to allow this to happen, see this thread on the AVForums, which is where I found out about it. LG has eschewed the eARC connection, even the C9 doesn't have it.
Wow! That was super helpful. I have decided to go with a LG HU70LA/S/AB 4K DLP projector for my home theatre and this ARC thread and how LG handles it makes me feel better about my shortlist. If their 'Auto' setting does send Atmos signal over ARC, one doesn't need an eARC at all! I have always bit streamed PCM for quality to my Yamaha AVR but don't mind drop in quality if I gain an Atmos signal!
Old 22nd January 2021, 00:21   #21
BHPian

I have just bought a Samsung 43 inches UHD TV with 2 HDMI and 1 HDMI (eARC) ports.

My queries:

1) whether this LG SL8Y/G or SN8YG would work with this Samsung TV without any too much technical tricks?

2) If yes, which one is better SL8Y/G or SN8YG? What are the differences between these two models? SN8YG seems to be costlier (37k in reliance digital and 43k in Amazon for the SN8YG model. God knows why these two online prices are so different. )

3) If no, whether Samsung Q800T soundbar is good enough/ equivalent?
Old 24th January 2021, 00:32   #22
BHPian

Update: Today I visited couple of Speakers stores in Gurgaon, and the Ambience Mall Croma and Reliance Digital.

Tried almost all good models of soundbars in 30-35k range. Played the demo sounds and various types of sound tracks, songs, indian vocals (classical), indian instrumentals, A R Rehman through BT. Following are my findings (my personal feelings after hearing all of them):

1. Best sound quality Yamaha YAS 209. However, Reliance digital didn't have stocks. Sollfege says they can make it available.

2. JBL 2.1 Deep bass- good for the boom boom sound lovers. It is a good soundbar anyway.

3. Samsung Q800T I didn't like the sound quality. However I played the music and movie clips through the bluetooth only. Definitely it would be much better from TV through HDMI ARC.

4. Sony HT G700 I liked this soundbar. Initially the subwoofer sound was too loud and was hurting my ears. Then I could understand we can reduce the subwoofer sound through the remote. Later I had a demo in Sony Center audio room. It was very good. Though the music played through BT from my mobile was not that good. From the TV ARC it was very good for the demo video/ audio clips. Asked them to play from YouTube (usually the type of contents I hear/ watch) and all were good when through HDMI ARC.

5. LG SN8YG very good sound when YouTube contents were played through bluetooth from my mobile. At times the sound was little artificial (not like Yamaha YAS 209 or Sony HT G700). Loaded with features and we'll built. Reliance Digital guys could not provide demo of LG through TV ARC. I guess it would be even better than the BT?

Now the buying decision which I kept on HOLD. Need some help / suggestions from seniors & experienced T-BHPians.

Yamaha seems to be out due to sourcing problem. In this region of India it's mostly boom boom preference and hence support would be difficult.

So, it's between Sony HT G700 and LG SN8YG. Sony soundbar is without App, without Wi-Fi!! Since I am using Sony SRS XB40 for past 4-5 years and operating through the App is so easy, controls and settings of speakers/ soundbar through mobile App is an important factor. However, I won't mind lack of App if the Sound quality for my type of watching TV and listening music is great. No Wi-Fi means I can't add rear speakers on a later date. LG does have this option at least.

LG is comparatively new and long term usage/ reliability are unknown!! (I have sony CRT TV at home, working since 2005 with great picture and great sound. My own Sony LED TV is still working-July, 2013 bought). I have a philips powerhouse at home- in working condition. And I would like to keep this Soundbar at least for 10 years.

Last edited by RijuC : 24th January 2021 at 00:36.
Old 26th January 2021, 13:52   #23
BHPian

Update: ultimately took a very wrong decision to buy the LG SN8YG Soundbar from LG Store, Bansal electronics at Raheja Mall, Gurgaon. Yesterday at the late evening visited their store. They had single piece-packed piece at stores.

Today morning when I set up and tried to power ON, nope... it's not working. My 37k drained into LG. Contacted LG Store Bansal. They said they will come back.

Don't buy LG. I thought they have improved. Anyway they have proven it once again that don't buy LG.

Life is Not so Good. Avoid LG.

Most Viewed