Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2020, 14:26   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Digital & analog multimeter recommendations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
is that what it meant?
Heheheheh!!

Yeah, I mean there are many techs who learned an expensive lesson when they forgot to transfer the leads, of course completely inadvertently. The instrument tries to warn you. I don't blame them entirely because we can all make mistakes. I have lost count of the times I have got a buzz from mains sections in power supply sections of consumer electronics because my hand touched the wrong part. I don't use the DMM for current measurements any more but rely on the much safer clamp meters.
R2D2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st July 2020, 16:54   #32
BHPian

I have a Mastek that I purchased a few years ago. Seems to be working fine till date. I bought this for about 600. Given the limited use, I felt it was value for money. Again it depends on what your applications are.
Bsimhan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2020, 18:40   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srini1785 View Post
I get second hand Osciloscopes for as low as 1000.00 in the sunday market in bangalore but very few people who have the know how of repairing them.
CRT or DSO? Just 1000?
rascalangel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2020, 09:35   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rascalangel View Post
CRT or DSO? Just 1000?
Yes and must be read to gather with "Sunday market". Its a flea market that assembles every sunday here and the stuff sold are no guarantee seconds. You pay 10.00 just to get the device connected to power in a nearby shop (if it has the cable that is) and forget calibration. As is where is.

Btw COVID has closed the market now. The vendor may start at 2500.00 and you start at 250.00 and deal is done at 700-1000.00 depending on time of day, desperation of buyer / vendor , your negotiating skill , sun/moon phase etc.

Last edited by srini1785 : 2nd July 2020 at 09:39.
srini1785 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2020, 11:35   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
I have a background in consumer electronic repairs back in the day and wanted to try my hands at laptop or PC motherboard repairs. And SMPSes too.
I too have a background in Consumer Electronics Repair. I was a bench engineer for a long time. Unlike in the computer world, a bench engineer is a senior chap responsible for finding solutions to problems not solved by field engineers. I should be getting long in the tooth - something I have been trying to reveal.

BTW, for you R2D2 sir, working on SMPS should be a cakewalk. These things fail with a noticeable pattern. Usually a visual examination will give you an idea. The usual suspects are the cemented HW resister, diodes in the mains section, the power transistors and the pwm chip. Keep an eye for the bulging electrolytics on both sides. Poor voltage stabilization usually can be traced to an electrolytic.
Use an automobile 12 V 55 W headlamp as the load. Sorry if I mention the obvious here.
Prowler is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2020, 12:23   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
I too have a background in Consumer Electronics Repair. I was a bench engineer for a long time. Unlike in the computer world, a bench engineer is a senior chap responsible for finding solutions to problems not solved by field engineers. I should be getting long in the tooth - something I have been trying to reveal.

BTW, for you R2D2 sir, working on SMPS should be a cakewalk. These things fail with a noticeable pattern. Usually a visual examination will give you an idea. The usual suspects are the cemented HW resister, diodes in the mains section, the power transistors and the pwm chip. Keep an eye for the bulging electrolytics on both sides. Poor voltage stabilization usually can be traced to an electrolytic. Use an automobile 12 V 55 W headlamp as the load. Sorry if I mention the obvious here.
Ah nice to hear of your background in consumer electronics! And thanks for the tips on SMPSes.

I used to repair cassette tape decks, CD players, DAT players (remember those?) audio amps and TVs in the early to mid-90s, mostly pro bono for friends.

Back then consumer electronics frequently used linear power supplies. Audio amps still run with linear supplies not switched as switching noise is an issue.

I familiarised myself with SMPSes whilst in the IT industry due to the ubiquitous PSUs in PCs and servers but never attempted a repair though. As you know with most PCs, parts or components are mostly replaced with very few things are repaired.

So, while my background in repairs should help I have something new to learn with switching supplies and PC/laptop board repairs. But, that will necessitate a DSO. And with the internet and YT it will be a pleasure to get hands on again.

Last edited by R2D2 : 2nd July 2020 at 12:26.
R2D2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2021, 16:31   #37
Senior - BHPian

Need a recommendation from the experts here - which from the below three would people recommend for simple home use for measuring voltage/resistance/capacitance:

1. Metravi Metrasafe-10 Digital Multimeter with T-RMS, NCV & double-injection housing : Link

2. Metravi 19 TRMS Digital Multimeter with LCD display & all functions including NCV : Link

3. AstroAI Digital Multimeter with Ohm Volt Amp and Diode Test : Link
Old 17th January 2021, 18:09   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
Need a recommendation from the experts here - which from the below three would people recommend for simple home use for measuring voltage/resistance/capacitance:
You may have gone through this thread? There are a lot of pointers on what you can buy.

Anyway, Metravi is a decent brand, a re-labelled Chinese DMM. I'd suggest you read some reviews online. I bought a set of Metravi leads. Once again they are decent budget oriented products. It will suffice for home use.

Again, I stress if it is the mains or a product for e.g. a power supply connected to the mains or a well made DMM with safety certifications is better. Remember how we automobile enthusiasts get taken in by the number of air bags and sundry safety features in modern cars? Well, that's the approach you need to have if you work with AC mains. Then you also need to consider what feature sets you need i.e. voltage/resistance range, mA measurements, resolution/count, AC/DC/Ohm accuracy, temperature measurements, diode or transistor checks, True RMS etc. Once you've done that you can narrow it down to a few models.

A bit off topic for your post - I realised my Fluke 115 turns 10 years old (cost me just Rs 6500 back then!!) and works beautifully, ditto for the 177 that turns 11. I am a bit of a Fluke fan I admit.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks