Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2007, 22:43   #1
Max
BHPian

Please suggest good Air Cooler

Hi friends,

My aunt wants to buy AIR cooler (which works on water) and asked me for suggestion. I was clueless. Do you recommend any good air cooler here in bombay which provides fast cooling and is durable. Approx price will also help. Thanks.

_ Max Bombay _
Old 20th March 2007, 23:29   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post
Hi friends,

My aunt wants to buy AIR cooler (which works on water) and asked me for suggestion. I was clueless. Do you recommend any good air cooler here in bombay which provides fast cooling and is durable. Approx price will also help. Thanks.

_ Max Bombay _
I have a Kenstar cooler.. costed 3.5k "on road"...
Just 2 weeks old, so cant comment about reliability.
Old 21st March 2007, 07:30   #3
BHPian

I am not sure if cooler will be right option in Mumbai's(assuming) humid weather.
Old 21st March 2007, 08:00   #4
Senior - BHPian

try Symphony , they are the Racold's of water heater.
Old 21st March 2007, 16:24   #5
Max
BHPian

thanks for advice guys, navdeep my aunt stay in kalyan where there is daily 8 hours electricity outage, cooler will work on battery inverter but air condition won't. Also, she can carry cooler to kitchen and she is very limited on budget and can't afford air conditioner electricity bills. So cooler is just cool for her.

Advices, please keep coming in. Lets make this cooler guide thread for all other dear bhp'ns. Thanks all.
Old 21st March 2007, 16:30   #6
BHPian

I think Symphony or Bajaj will do. I am not aware if custom made coolers are available in your region. they are the best option.
Old 21st March 2007, 20:41   #7
BHPian

Symphony... My dad was the R.S.M for Symphony. To be precise if you going in for a hall go in for Sumo , in case you dont want a stand for a big cooler.. try out the new one come out by Symphony... forgot the name. for a single person. Hi-cool or Sumo jr. well go in for Symphony in case if you are looking for quality... Since ur aunt need to move around, i/d suggest for the HI-Cool, pm me if you need any discount. chao
Old 27th March 2007, 00:06   #8
Max
BHPian

Hi,

Finally My aunt went for symphony air cooler which cost her Rs.4500/- in kalyan, district thane, maharashtra. Its large size cooler and have good looks. Its working well in her home.

Some tips about Air coolers / Air Cooler -
1) Never keep cooler dry (always keep it filled with water) because leaving it dry can damage its pumping motor.
2) Small coolers are okay for about 100 sq.ft. room but if you need to cool room which is 200+ sq.ft. go for big model
3) Kenstar and symphony makes some good coolers and kenstar tall cooler model is good looking.
4) All cooler will leek little bit water if you move them from one place to another one
5) Coolers don't provide good cooling in moisture areas (example land located near the sea).
6) Coolers work best in dry land areas.
7) Power consumption of cooler is from 150watts (small) to 200 watts. 1000 watts / hour = 1 electric unit. So for example 200watts cooler will burn 1 unit in 5 hours.
8) Some coolers come with ICE shelf compartment, which is usually located on top of the cooler. Ice water melts and dip on top of grass thing! and make air more cool. Go for such model if available.
9) You can add ice to cooler water to produce more cool air
10) You may not keep cooler air towards your face specially while sleeping. This may effect your health and you may catch up cold and fever.
11) Coolers may not be good for people having breathing problems such asthma etc.

I hope this will help some people searching google

_ Max _
Max is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2008, 23:18   #9
Senior - BHPian

I searched , but there are no dealers for symphony coolers in Bangalore . No appliances shop keep symphony , they say their service is not there . Any body aware of symphony ? .Any reviews on winter model ?

Last edited by black12rr : 20th April 2008 at 23:20.
Old 22nd April 2008, 15:01   #10
BANNED

Which Air Cooler to buy in Mumbai

Dear All,

I have heard lot of side effects of Air Conditioner to health, But now a days we can not avoid a/c, I Works in I.T industry so a/c is must in the office, Stays is Mumbai ( pollution level is high ) so while driving so again a/c is must. So I planning to but Air Cooler for My house ( bedroom ), 12 x 12 room, can any body tell me does buying a air cooler in Mumbai makes sense ? if yes which one shd I buy ?

Regards,
Jitendra
Old 22nd April 2008, 15:04   #11
Senior - BHPian

i dont think anybody will suggest you to buy a cooler in Mumbai. Its already humid & cooler will make the room so humid that you will sweat more once the cooler is on.

Go for an ac.

You can ask question on ac in this thread

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadge...ioner-buy.html
Old 22nd April 2008, 15:12   #12
Team-BHP Support

First of all stay away from branded stuff like Symphony.
They are good for first year. Then you pack them up, and then when restarting the service center guys ask 200rs for oiling the pump.
If the pump goes bust you don't get it just anywhere only from symphony at their price.
Its a scam.
Best is to stick to "desi" coolers. The parts are cheap, and you can yourself oil the pump as its easily accessible.
Old 22nd April 2008, 15:17   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicejits View Post
I have heard lot of side effects of Air Conditioner to health, But now a days we can not avoid a/c, I Works in I.T industry so a/c is must in the office, Stays is Mumbai ( pollution level is high ) so while driving so again a/c is must. So I planning to but Air Cooler for My house ( bedroom ), 12 x 12 room, can any body tell me does buying a air cooler in Mumbai makes sense ? if yes which one shd I buy ?
What are the "side effects" of using an air conditioner except as reflected in your electricity bill?

And as Technocrat correctly mentions, there is no point getting a cooler in Mumbai. Get a fan instead. Or two.
Old 22nd April 2008, 15:18   #14
Senior - BHPian

I am not sure Tanveer,

I had bought a Kenstar (Similar body like Symphony) one last year & no issues faced when started using this year. May be I am lucky. My father too has similar one for last 3 years & faced no issues but he also has 3 other local desert ones which faced no issues even when each of them is atleast 7-8 years old
Old 22nd April 2008, 15:48   #15
Team-BHP Support

I had a symphony and after 2 years the pump died.
Had to get the pump from symphony only as such specification pump was not available in local market.
Also, if you want to oil the pump in symphony, its not very easy without opening up the whole thing, which is very difficult.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks