Laptop / Mac Book 236 64.84%
Tablet / iPad 29 7.97%
Smartphone 106 29.12%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 364. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2020, 12:12   #31
BHPian

Re: Your preferred device to browse, surf and work

I always preferred desktop since I game frequently.
Sandeep M is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2020, 13:21   #32
BHPian

I use a mix of all devices, all though I'm primarily a big fan of a laptop connected to a large monitor via a docking station at work / iMac at home.

But i primarily also believe each of the devices have their own special advantages and their use would depend on the context. Using the analogy of vehicles here to drill down (which I believe Steve Jobs back in the day beautifully used it to explain the post PC era of which there is a video interview in YouTube):

- Desktop / iMac are like trucks they can all do the heavy lifting and is especially useful for writing threads / long posts, editing photos, editing music and anything that is related to creating content.

- Laptop / Macbook are a lot like SUVs, they can go anywhere and are extremely mobile. Useful for versatility and creating content on the go.

- Tablet / iPad, excellent for consuming any form of content. It may be reading long form articles, watching movies, doing video calls and browsing photos. For the analogy of vehicles, i would like to think of the Tablets / iPads as chauffeur driven sedans / extremely comfortable cars which gives you the luxury to sit back and enjoy your content.

- Smartphone is like a nimble quick input device that should readily be accessible anywhere to reply to social media / make calls / take great pictures. I believe probably a fast hatchback or maybe even a nimble two wheeler would be apt.
Mile10 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th July 2020, 13:23   #33
GTB
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thought some of you might be interested in seeing this. Here is the year-to-date mobile vs desktop vs tablet traffic of Team-BHP. In India, mobile rules
Laptops are also included in Desktop?
GTB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2020, 13:54   #34
BHPian

90% of the time I use my phone to browse, surf, etc. Use a laptop mainly for important mails and the occasional video call that involves many people.
Old 12th July 2020, 14:27   #35
BHPian

// Lazy logic algorithm

If (desktop is ON), use desktop
Else
If (laptop is ON), use laptop
Else
Use Mobile.
Old 12th July 2020, 14:52   #36
BHPian

I prefer bigger screens for work hence laptop just acts as a CPU 95% of time with external monitors and keyboards/mouse setup.

Phones are usually limited to calls and Amazon Music/Audible.

iPad (mini) serves most of browsing/reading needs. OTT apps in iPad format is just right for personal entertainment. During these days of WFH iPad is a great addition for virtual meetings.
Old 12th July 2020, 15:36   #37
BHPian

I'm a big proponent of phones/laptop/tablets + dockable setups. I first began this experiment way back with a HP Stream 7 + Plugable Pro 8, then ThinkPad X230 with its docking station, Galaxy Note 9 with DeX, iPad Pro with external display.

My current setup at home is 2x 27 inch monitors + keyboard + mouse. The setup is powered by a laptop (HP Elitebook 840G4). This provides me the benefit of big monitors and comfortable working experience, while maintaining portability when needed.

I use the same thing at work, with 3x 24 inch monitors + docking station and the same laptop plugged in there.

The ideal setup in my mind has always been a very thin and light device, something like my iPad Pro, which can act as a full desktop UI when docked to an external display. I've been dabbling with the thought of getting a Pixel Slate, as that seems to be the closest option.
ts1506 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2020, 16:33   #38
BHPian

I am a multiple screens person as i can be productive that way. I have a dinosaur era Sony Vaio with a 18'' display and and i hook it to another monitor while in office. It is not very good for frequent travel as it weighs 3.2kg with its charger and everything else. For long travel i have my trusty old ThinkPad. I have never owned Apple devices so cannot comment on them. For quick glances through emails, messages and audiobooks the mobile is sufficient. However anything that needs my attention (TBHP included) has to be on a laptop/desktop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
... I mostly browse on the Macbook and play AOE2 on the Lenovo...
which method do you prefer? Find and capture the resources on the map as fast as possible and then settle for a long and ruinous economic burden on the opponent or war? I am all for economic ruin. Makes the game interesting if playing for long hours. If short on time then all out war it is!
N33raj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2020, 20:21   #39
abg

I use my iMac extensively for work/life and lots of browsing. I find Desktops appropriate because:
1. Better keyboard experience
2. The big screen is convenient, easy to my eyes and there is a need to open multiple windows, apps at the same time and switch between them
3. It is possible to open multiple Operating Systems and work on them at the same time on a desktop than on a laptop/tablet (virtualization)
My tablet serves family members for casual browsing and music stuff.
Old 12th July 2020, 20:49   #40
BHPian

Laptop anyday! I'm a musician and use a Macbook for music production and stuff. Offlate, i use instagram and Whatsapp through my laptop too. I use my phone only to call, message and for long-time instragram browsing or maybe when i go out (shopping, for a walk, etc.). I mean, I've become such a Macbook fan that I use Facetime on my Laptop to even make everyday voice calls as much as possible. My ears don't burn and it's so easy to multitask even while on a call. I hate big hand held devices so I'm sticking to my 4 inch screened iPhone SE as long as it lives with me
Old 12th July 2020, 20:58   #41
BHPian

I don't own a laptop at the moment and I have never had a tab. My preferred device to browse and for tbhp is desktop. Not that I don't use mobile for casual browsing but I prefer desktop for serious job or posting at tbhp. I was a gamer in my adolescence and hence prefer mouse keyboard combo and bigger screen real-estate than a small touchscreen device. Although this very reply is being posted using my cellphone.
Old 12th July 2020, 21:34   #42
BHPian

I use my laptop and two monitors connected to a docking station. And one monitor is dedicated only for Chrome browser with team-bhp and few other automotive websites always pinned. Never opened team-bhp in mobile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakmuzik View Post
Laptop anyday! I'm a musician and use a Macbook for music production and stuff.
- Hi freakmuzik, I think I have seen you somewhere. May be in some youtube videos but don't exactly remember. But your face looks so familiar.
RaghavEvoX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2020, 21:55   #43
BHPian

In order of the amount of work done:
  1. Laptop
    For most academic work (I am a college student). Coding, simulations, typing out reports, etc. Hence voted for Laptop.
  2. iPad
    For taking notes and storing and reading e-books.
  3. Smartphone
    For replying to urgent mails and Googling things on the go.

Some things are done on all three, such as surfing and gaming. But each device is remarkably different and can be used really well for specific purposes.
Old 12th July 2020, 22:22   #44
BHPian

I also use my MacBook Pro and iPhone both together for surfing as well as everything else almost all the time. The continuity feature makes it really easy to switch from phone to Mac / Mac to phone, And having whatsapp open on both also helps in sharing files and replying to text.

The intra device copy/paste between Mac and phone and scan docs directly from phone to Mac after the last OS updates was also a big plus in using both devices together and helps increasing productivity and saving time.
prateekchanana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2020, 22:23   #45
Senior - BHPian

I currently prefer using the desktop for all purposes - school, tutions (I'm a school student), browsing, reviews, Team-BHP or anything else. The iPad is only used for watching Netflix & YouTube while my phone is used only to access social media and remains off whenever I'm at my house.
So, the trusty Dell AIO desktop gets a lot of usage these days, more so than any other device.

Last edited by akash_v12 : 12th July 2020 at 22:24.
akash_v12 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed