Smartphone 106 29.12%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 364. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2020, 22:42   #46
BHPian

Re: Your preferred device to browse, surf and work

For me, its horses for courses.

Laptop for work, mails and browsing.

Phone for calls, WhatsApp (mostly work related) checking mails on the go. These days, I often take Teams call on my phone. Keep pacing round the house - helps in maintaining the number of steps count per day!

Regards,
Pinin
Old 12th July 2020, 23:06   #47
BHPian

If it is 90s or early 2000 would have definitely voted for laptop or desktop. But now things have come really far and we have a smartphone/ ipad equally competent to a lap/desktop. What it offers, feasibility, pocket friendly and on the go browsing, checking mail were ever you are.

So for me browsing- majority on smartphone
Work, replying office email- laptop/desktop
Old 12th July 2020, 23:13   #48
BHPian

Desktop (that too when you assemble everything) is bliss, hours just fly & With a perfect chair (allsteel, model-19) I am lost in eternity sometimes.
Attached Thumbnails
Your preferred device to browse, surf and work-comp.jpg  

Your preferred device to browse, surf and work-chair.jpg  

Thyag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2020, 23:29   #49
Team-BHP Support

Surely you all can see mobility devices (mobiles, laptops, tablets etc) have taken over the traditional desktops.

But folks please do consider this: Long hours on portable devices, you are subjecting yourselves directly to ergonomic catastrophes. Items like RSI (Repetitive Strain injury) etc would just hit unannounced.

Try to make best of both worlds. Use a full keyboard, big monitor, a perfect chair etc. Use laptops only as CPU resources but dont use them for long hours. Do notice one usually leans into the laptop (leading to neck pains) and compact laptop keyboards would make your shoulders close as against a full key board. And a permanent working position with a good chair would give you a proper sitting posture.

This is not a ergonomics thread, and hence I dont want to divert the discussion. But this is something I have been practicing for some time now and I make sure I rarely type on a laptop keyboard. Always use a full keyboard and a monitor. So is the same with my home compute set-up (all bundled into one). I never work anywhere else at home but at a single place (office or personal work).

Like GTO mentioned, even I try to reduce my typing on mobiles if I can manage it (Like the desktop version of whatsapp). Till date never watched a single movie on a mobile phone or a tablet.

Last edited by ampere : 13th July 2020 at 09:29. Reason: Correct RSI full form
ampere is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th July 2020, 09:52   #50
BHPian

Even without the forced WFH situation, majority of my internet behavior has been through my laptop. Cell phone usage is limited to maps while driving, showing pickup orders at retail establishments and maybe a quick search/WA/email while on the move.

Even today at home, I use my laptop to place online orders and get strange looks from my teenage children on this. I do use cell phone to read content but most of responses/typing is from the laptop.

Cell phone only for calls and texts and for some niche offerings in an Iphone. Not seeing that change for foreseeable future.
Old 13th July 2020, 11:51   #51
BHPian

I prefer a laptop, though with a more desktop-like setup as seen in the image below.
I have a MacBook Air for work and a basic HP laptop running windows for personal usage.
I use my phone only for messaging (WhatsApp), on-the-go emails, fitness, shopping (rarely), and mobile payments.
Attached Thumbnails
Your preferred device to browse, surf and work-img_20200711_193730.jpg  

TejasKinger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2020, 14:46   #52
BHPian

I prefer my laptop for work which includes drawing and stuff. All important mails are replied using the laptop. Only short replies are sent using the phone mail app. However, I avoid using the phone mail app for work as there is no control on timing.
Once the laptop is shut, then work stops. Otherwise clients are used to sending stuff on whatsapp and ask me to have a look and reply. I personally don't encourage this and ask the client to send in mail.
Old 13th July 2020, 16:21   #53
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by N33raj View Post
which method do you prefer? Find and capture the resources on the map as fast as possible and then settle for a long and ruinous economic burden on the opponent or war? I am all for economic ruin. Makes the game interesting if playing for long hours. If short on time then all out war it is!
This is interesting but going off topic. We should create a dedicated thread on Team-BHP on AOE as I think we have many players here. To answer your question, I am a very whimsical player, there is no pattern to how I play. Sometimes I am extremely aggressive and sometimes I wait for the opponent to make the moves. Overall I can't say what I prefer
BlackPearl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2020, 11:31   #54
BHPian

I prefer working with desktop for the following reasons:
1. My larger screen desktop is less tiring to eyes over long hours.
2. The ergonomics are better.
3. Split screen functionality is better experienced with a larger and powerful desktop.
4. My mechanical keyboard is just awesome to type on.

During travel or when I am outside I like a larger screen smartphone with a stylus (like my current galaxy note).
Old 14th July 2020, 12:56   #55
BHPian

I spend the lion's share of time on a desktop.

My desktop is ON almost continuously. After getting used to the 24"+ screen and the pleasure of typing in a mechanical keyboard, I find it pretty cumbersome to use laptop's screen/keyboard.

All browsing, work, reading, mails, almost everything gets done on the desktop. Even whatsapp, telegram, etc. I use the desktop app associated with them.

Mobile is only for making / receiving calls and checking SMS (mostly OTPs)

For reading (other than technical), my preferred device is my kindle. Absolutely love reading on the kindle. Other than Tech books or books with lots of diagrams/figures, kindle works beautifully for me.

For those occasions when I travel, I use my netbook with Lubuntu loaded (yes, there was this product which was in vogue few years back.. something like a mini-laptop with a 10-11" screen with normal keyboard).

I also use my mobile data quite sparingly. The last few months average mobile data has been less than 50-100 MB per month. Mobile data is just for backup, my main broadband (ACT broadband) serves my purpose beautifully.
Old 14th July 2020, 13:40   #56
BHPian

Transitioned to using iPad for most/all things these days, including WiFi calls. Phenomenal productivity so far. End up using the laptop only for heavy-duty work (excel etc.).
Old 14th July 2020, 17:28   #57
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

For casual usage I have a Galaxy Note 9 along with an LG V30+ and an old Galaxy S7 running Pixel Experience custom rom. Everything else, I have the Eye of Terror (Self-assembled PC, pictures attached). Laptops don't cut it for me anymore because I do a lot of gaming, rendering and multi-track audio recording. Laptops are really not built for all that (thermal throttling, no upgradability and 30% more expensive for 40% less performance). Current config (pictures attached):

-CPU : AMD Ryzen 5 3600
-GPU : Gigabyte Aorus RX 5700 XT Gaming OC
-RAM : ADATA XPG 32GB DDR4-3000Mhz
-MOBO : MSI X570 Gaming Plus (Don't buy, MSI computer equivalent of Skoda. Amazing product but no support)
-Storage :
1) WD M.2 NVME 250GB (OS)
2) 2x Seagate Barracuda 4TB 5400RPM (total 8 TB)

-Recently added a new cooler (CM H410R RGB) because CPU was toasty (idle 60 C, now a relaxed 41 C at idle)

300hp maybe a little to much for me in a car but in PC, the more you get, the lesser it is...
Attached Thumbnails
Your preferred device to browse, surf and work-whatsapp-image-20200710-10.46.19.jpeg  

Your preferred device to browse, surf and work-whatsapp-image-20200714-17.19.27-2.jpeg  

Your preferred device to browse, surf and work-whatsapp-image-20200624-19.26.15.jpeg  

Your preferred device to browse, surf and work-20191202_081547.jpg  

Your preferred device to browse, surf and work-20191015_154609.jpg  

Your preferred device to browse, surf and work-whatsapp-image-20200714-17.19.27-3.jpeg  

Old 14th July 2020, 19:44   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

If it's work then a laptop, work from home then a desktop. Obviously, the laptop is in when travelling. I love the extra resolution and detail on my desktop monitor, plus the desktop is far more snappy with 32 GB RAM and an Intel Extreme edition processor which is old gen but still does a remarkably good job with anything you throw at it. I don't really prefer tabs or phones whilst working.

Last edited by R2D2 : 14th July 2020 at 19:46.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks