Desktop / iMac 114 31.58%
Laptop / Mac Book 233 64.54%
Tablet / iPad 29 8.03%
Smartphone 106 29.36%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 361. You may not vote on this poll

Old 8th July 2020, 09:16   #1
Team-BHP Support

Default Your preferred device to browse, surf and work

All of us accessing WWW are using a gadget, be it your desktop / lap-top / phone or maybe a tablet.

Personally, I am always comfortable doing most of my browsing on my desktop, have never ever owned a lap-top and nor do I plan to [only if my work in future forces me to].

For casual browsing / online shopping, will prefer a tablet. I use my mobile phone to browse only if I am waiting for someone and have to kill time [rarely happens] or if I have to for some work related reason away from my desk.

I have rarely typed a reply on Team-BHP on my mobile phone.

How is it with fellow BHPians, what is your preferred gadget and why?

Last edited by Sheel : 8th July 2020 at 09:20.
Sheel is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 8th July 2020, 12:54   #2
Team-BHP Support

Default re: Your preferred device to browse, surf and work

I don't own a desktop. And IMO, the tablet is no longer relevant because of the large screen phones nowadays.

So for me:

- Mobile for reading / replying to low importance emails. Some casual browsing and gaming as well.
- Laptop for all important emails, working and casual browsing. TeamBHP moderation is also done only on my laptop.
Eddy is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 8th July 2020, 14:01   #3
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved from the Assembly Line.
Eddy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th July 2020, 14:42   #4

Desktop - always liked to have a big monitor to browse and work.
Mobile - ease of use when it comes to mobile banking (login to digital banking sites on desktop/laptop very rarely these days), digital wallets.

Last edited by anivy : 8th July 2020 at 14:46.
anivy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2020, 14:50   #5
Senior - BHPian

I use a desktop, mobile and a tab. But when at home, my preferred device is the desktop.
Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2020, 16:10   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

I still prefer my MacBook if I am honest. In practice when I am working, next to my work PC I have my MacBook open as well and in between (like now!) I can keep track of various things on the internet.

After work, when I move away from my office I will use an iPad. The iPad will come with me, wherever I travel. I also have two iPhones that go everywhere.

Whereas the iPhones are fine when I don’t have my iPad handy (e.g. out and about, in the car, shopping etc) I prefer my iPad for serious browsing. Maybe its an age thing too. These iPhones, big as their screens are these days, are still to small for me, if I need to spend any amount of time on them.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th July 2020, 17:13   #7
BHPian

There's been an almost similar thread earlier along with a poll. The responses could very well be similar.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...-team-bhp.html (Which is your preferred device for using Team-BHP?)

I use my iphone for most of my work except working on decks, spreadsheets and similar analytical work for which I use my Mac.

My posts on team bhp are entirely on the iphone as are emails, regular browsing and related work.

Last edited by AMG Power : 8th July 2020 at 17:17.
AMG Power is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th July 2020, 17:40   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

General browsing related stuff and quick responses- I use the phone.

Anything involving a lot of typing or the need for a lot of browser tabs, laptop is my choice.
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th July 2020, 18:04   #9
Senior - BHPian

My most preferred for either of the above are either laptop or ipad. I have not owned a desktop in the last 15 years. My ipad is almost always with me so its definitely my preferred reading and browing device over the phone. If I am at my work desk it'll be either ipad or laptop. If on the move then most often my ipad.

Work is preferable on laptop over ipad specially if I have to type a lot although i can manage a LOT of work off the ipad as well. I no longer have the external apple keyboard so I prefer the laptop a little more now but otherwise have done a reasonable bit of work off the ipad as well. Including track changing word documents using MS Word.

For the first time in fact I am now moving to the 12.9" iPad pro (from the regular size pro) - just waiting for it to come to the stores in the specs I want. This is to have the best movie streaming, browsing as well as work related experience. I just bought myself Sony WH 1000 XM3 headphones to optimise the experience whether on laptop or ipad.

Last edited by Axe77 : 8th July 2020 at 18:07.
Axe77 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th July 2020, 19:07   #10
Senior - BHPian

I don't even remember when I last wrote a post here on tbhp from my laptop. The mobile site is so intuitive to use that for me it is 'The Standard' for the mobile version of any forum. It is plain brilliant.

Other browsing, Netflixing etc all is done on mobile.

Laptop is used purely for official work.
BANDHAV is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th July 2020, 19:55   #11
Team-BHP Support

I work interchangeably between my Windows 10 laptop and Android 10 cellphone. Well-integrated work apps have made life easier.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2020, 20:05   #12
PPS
Senior - BHPian

My most preferred device to browse this forum & anything work related is on my decade old laptop at home or the desktop when I'm in office. My mobile is used mostly for browsing facebook,twitter & instagram. Currently putting my iPhone 6S to extensive use for streaming Netlfix, wish i had an iPad for this!
PPS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2020, 20:28   #13
BHPian

As of now, I’m only using an iPad. The sheer convenience of such a large screen blows any and every smartphone out of the water, when it comes to media consumption and work. The only real downside is the lack of call functionality and the bulk that’s felt sometimes.
TheHelix0202 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2020, 21:16   #14
Senior - BHPian

I used to love desktops until my school/college days. Ever since moved in the corporate world, life revolves around laptops only!
My old desktop has been turned into a central server for home CCTV setup.

Ipad and mobile for casual reading and checking emails. All serious work through laptop only including Team-BHP
bluevolt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2020, 21:36   #15
AYP
BHPian

It's pretty much what Eddy has stated for me as well.

Mobile for very casual browsing, social networking apps and using some apps/games. I have hardly replied on Team-BHP while using a smartphone.

Laptop is my to go device when I really want to surf the internet, visit Team BHP, do some personal as well as professional work, consume video content etc.

While most of my friends have primarily moved to mobile phones for doing most of their surfing activities, as well as for watching movies/videos etc. I still prefer a laptop due to the bigger screen and the convenience it brings w.r.t. multi-tasking.

Desktop have their own advantages but laptop is a much more practical version of a desktop, unless you are into gaming. My old desktop is packed neatly and will likely stay packed for a long time.

I do have an old Tab with a good screen size(10.5 inch) and while it is better for surfing, watching videos etc. when compared to a mobile, but when you compare a tab with a laptop, it still showcases most of the shortcomings that are apparent when you compare a laptop to a smartphone. Thus, a tab loses its relevance for me when I have a laptop.

Last edited by AYP : 8th July 2020 at 21:39.
AYP is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed