Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Do you use voice typing on your smartphone?
Yes 40 24.84%
No 121 75.16%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2020, 00:46   #16
BHPian

Re: Do you use voice typing on your smartphone? It sure has evolved & how!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theautoman View Post
I have not used the voice typing on my smartphone mainly because I feel that I have to speak in a fake pseudo American accent (rather my best imitation of an american accent) for the device to understand me correctly. I don't think my regular accent has strong vernacular influence of any sort but still the smart devices fails to pick up the words I'm trying to type.

Since people here are speaking so highly of Gboard, I am going to try it for a week, i'll come back and share my experience in a weeks time.
Not only does it work really well on Indian English accent, it extremely good even on regional languages. Try it in your mother tongue or another non English language and you will be amazed.
antz.bin is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2020, 00:40   #17
BHPian

Re: Do you use voice typing on your smartphone? It sure has evolved & how!

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post
Not only does it work really well on Indian English accent, it extremely good even on regional languages. Try it in your mother tongue or another non English language and you will be amazed.
After using (Gboard) voice typing on smartphone for a day, I feel that it has indeed evolved and performs better that I expected it to.
I was pleasantly surprised when it could type the names of few areas of Bangalore which are in kannada. (unfortunately google maps voice completely misses the pronunciation of those)

but some of the drawbacks from antiquity still persists, the word 'Increase' is always typed as 'Increased', even after few attempts could not get that one right. over a weeks usage i'll probable discover more such things.

The typing in Kannada was equally impressive and only the formal written style language style is recognised, it sounds like dictating a paragraph from Prajavani(a popular newspaper) than spoken kannada. The colloquial style of writing that is commonly used while chatting with friends and family is not recognised.

I will continue to use it, thanks for recommending it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks