Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2022, 09:08   #226
BHPian

Re: The Drones Thread - Reviews, Tips, Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by camitesh View Post

PS: for mavic mini owners still in doubt, visit the site and do a keyword search for UIN issued to mini or mini 2 drones. You’ll see hundreds of them registered already as they should be IMHO
Thank you for sharing the link. Been wanting to register for a very long time. Meanwhile, my mini is locked for 15m altitude from the dji app. Any ways of unlocking the restriction?

Also, its a nice video of the river and falls. would have been even cooler if you could have rotated and lowered the drone towards the water falls.
varunanb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2022, 16:08   #227
BHPian

Friends, another of my Drone video. This one is shot on the way to a popular beach location in West Bengal. The road passes through some lovely fishing villages, these fishing ponds popularly are known as "Bheri" in Bengal. Have a look at the difference in colour between ponds, probably different due to type of fish, age of fishing and population density.
Hope you like it.
arpanjha is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th June 2022, 06:55   #228
BHPian

Anybody got the latest Mini 3 Pro with Dji RC and Flymore Combo?
Any reviews? Was looking at some sellers on Instagram quoting INR 1,20000.
Happysmiles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2022, 11:21   #229
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happysmiles View Post
Anybody got the latest Mini 3 Pro with Dji RC and Flymore Combo?
Any reviews? Was looking at some sellers on Instagram quoting INR 1,20000.
Dont get the Mini 3 Pro yet - the firmware seems to need a few fixes before its ready. There have been reports of it losing power (including during the testing of Vjeran Pavic from theverge.com) - something thats unacceptable for a drone that costly and complex.
Transmission is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2022, 17:15   #230
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
One source told me that all drones coming in via international passengers are illegal and will be seized
I wouldn't exactly call it illegal but import of all types of drones is banned as per the current rules (if you find any difference that is). There are people who still bring it with them though. I don't want to advice here on what you should or what you shouldn't do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunanb View Post
Thank you for sharing the link. Been wanting to register for a very long time. Meanwhile, my mini is locked for 15m altitude from the dji app. Any ways of unlocking the restriction?
There are third party apps which lets you bypass the 15m hack. Most common ones I saw are DroneHacks, Litchi & Rainbow. All are paid apps except Rainbow which has a trial version available on Playstore. I think I figured out a way for the trial to not expire and bypass the 15m altitude limit. Maybe I'm wrong but it has worked so far for me.

On other note, I'm not sure how many know this but the concerned authorities have already lifted the 15m limit with the new drone rules released last year and the current limit is 120m. DJI has been saying that they still need permission from DGFT and they haven't got it yet (it's been over 9-10 months now). Someone over the DJI forum has confirmed that the altitude limit for the Mini 3 Pro stands 120m, it's only the Mini and Mini 2 devices which are still stuck at 15m.
logicalidiot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2022, 19:58   #231
BHPian

Officially drone imports are banned but DJI is sending Mini 3 Pro for to Indian YouTubers for review (e.g. Kunal Malhotra). The drones are available on OLX where sellers are posting photos of several boxes of brand new drones. A bunch of YouTubers are showing how one can buy a drone from Dubai and bring it to India. Throw away the box, put the drone and accessories in check-in baggage, put batteries and RC in hand baggage and declare at the counter that you are carrying a drone and walk in.

Mini 3 Pro seems to have height restriction of 120m in India as per new guidelines. Mini 2 continues to have 15m restriction. May be a firmware upgrade will be needed to update the limit. The loophole that allowed third party apps like Litchi to bypass the restriction has been fixed so they don't work anymore.

Since Mini 3 Pro has just been launched it is overpriced. Expect the price to come down in the next few months. I hope some senses prevail in the administration and they allow DJI to sell in India officially. Make in India is great but it will take Indian companies a very long time to catch up to the quality of the likes DJI.
Old 15th July 2022, 12:24   #232
Distinguished - BHPian

Height restrictions removed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yashg View Post
Mini 3 Pro seems to have height restriction of 120m in India as per new guidelines. Mini 2 continues to have 15m restriction. May be a firmware upgrade will be needed to update the limit.
Opened the DJI fly app after I saw your post about Litchi being unable to bypass height restrictions. For my Mavic Mini, Litchi was still working fine but to my surprise, even in the DJI fly app the height restrictions are now updated to 120m and default RTH height is now 30m. I restarted the drone and the app multiple times which would sometimes get updated to 15m earlier but this time it stays at 120m.

However, a new flysafe database is pending to be installed so I just wanted to check if this update is for everyone or is it because of the older FS database. The earlier FS database I had included the 15m restriction. Now that is removed.

If someone can confirm if this height restriction is updated for everyone, I will update the FSD otherwise will keep it as it is since I no longer need to use the Litchi app for flying above 15m
audioholic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th July 2022, 14:45   #233
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Height restrictions removed?

Opened the DJI fly app after I saw your post about Litchi being unable to bypass height restrictions. For my Mavic Mini, Litchi was still working fine but to my surprise, even in the DJI fly app the height restrictions are now updated to 120m and default RTH height is now 30m. I restarted the drone and the app multiple times which would sometimes get updated to 15m earlier but this time it stays at 120m.

However, a new flysafe database is pending to be installed so I just wanted to check if this update is for everyone or is it because of the older FS database. The earlier FS database I had included the 15m restriction. Now that is removed.

If someone can confirm if this height restriction is updated for everyone, I will update the FSD otherwise will keep it as it is since I no longer need to use the Litchi app for flying above 15m
Hey, can you list the versions of the database and DJI Fly app you have?

I have frozen my apps from internet connectivity because I didnt want any updates. But I'd happily update the DJI Fly app if the height restriction has been updated (which has been long overdue)
Old 15th July 2022, 18:36   #234
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmission View Post
Hey, can you list the versions of the database and DJI Fly app you have?

I have frozen my apps from internet connectivity because I didnt want any updates. But I'd happily update the DJI Fly app if the height restriction has been updated (which has been long overdue)
In IOS my app version is 1.6.9. Not sure about fly safe database. Am not able to attach screenshot but the height limit for India is not now displayed. But the correct altitude is set everytime. Guess there is some goof up.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2022, 19:24   #235
BHPian

Quote:
In IOS my app version is 1.6.9. Not sure about fly safe database. Am not able to attach screenshot but the height limit for India is not now displayed. But the correct altitude is set everytime. Guess there is some goof up.
Sorry, I'm not sure I got what youre trying to say there correctly...

Are you saying that now (after all the updates) you can't see the option/box for the height limit and despite that you are able to fly higher than 15m? Or something else?

(I'll check and report my current (android) app and DB versions once I get home)
Old 15th July 2022, 23:06   #236
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Are you saying that now (after all the updates) you can't see the option/box for the height limit and despite that you are able to fly higher than 15m? Or something else?
This is the current state - the height limit is locked to 120m and RTH altitude at 30m. I cant change it either.

Sorry that I confused you earlier. I myself was a bit fazed and at the same time could not attach screenshot directly from phone since it was a png.
The Drones Thread - Reviews, Tips, Advice-img_1703.jpg
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2022, 01:59   #237
BHPian

Quote:
This is the current state - the height limit is locked to 120m and RTH altitude at 30m. I cant change it either.

Sorry that I confused you earlier. I myself was a bit fazed and at the same time could not attach screenshot directly from phone since it was a png.
Attachment 2334505
Thanks! I looked a bit more into this today.

So my current setup is like so: Mini 2
DJI Fly app version: 1.5.9 (android)
Aircraft firmware: 1.03.0000
RC firmware: 04.11.0032
Flysafe database: 01.00.01.23
Flysafe database for apps: 01.00.01.25

This is the setting/version that had the 15m limit. Even setting the limit via Litchi to a higher number and then switching to DJI fly was still resetting the ceiling to 15m - when tested out in the open.

Today when I started and flew the drone inside the house (don't recommend doing it if you are not careful/confident - lots of things can go wrong really quickly - including lack of positional stability/drift) - same settings as above since I don't update, the max altitude was 100m (greyed out, set from Litchi on the previous startup) and auto RTH altitude was also 100m.

That was a pleasant but unexpected surprise - since I couldn't understand why the limit is now magically 100m, up from 15m - with absolutely no updates made to the app/controller/aircraft.

That's when I remembered that it was probably like that even before - its only when you fly it out and actually reach 15m that it instantaneously rests (or thats was what my memory seemed to recall)

Since its late night and I cant really fly it now, I looked around and found this post in the DJI forums which confirms my suspicion - that once I get the GPS lock and actually fly it out in the open then the 15m restriction will be back: https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=...01&pid=2763148

Long story short, I think that if you fly it in the open you're going to find it limited back at 15m - even if the setting right now - since you are indoors shows up as 100m/30m.

Do let me know if you test it out yourself in the open

Going by the same thread linked above, I continue to keep my old DJI Fly app, and will continue to skip updates. Thank god for the Litchi devs.

Last edited by Transmission : 16th July 2022 at 02:02.
Transmission is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2022, 18:22   #238
BHPian

Quote:
Even setting the limit via Litchi to a higher number and then switching to DJI fly was still resetting the ceiling to 15m - when tested out in the open.
Try Rainbow app, the method works fine for me on Rainbow and I was able to fly above 15m numerous times.

On other note, I have an OCD to keep my apps updated if the particular app prompts me to. Even though I know DJI might fix this bug over newer versions, I still keep my fingers crossed and update it. But I'd suggest others to not update them, cos you never know.

Quote:
Long story short, I think that if you fly it in the open you're going to find it limited back at 15m - even if the setting right now - since you are indoors shows up as 100m/30m.
Yes, that's correct. Even I got a lil surprised when I saw the updated height initially but the very next day when I took the drone out to test it, the height restriction fell back to 15m when the GPS signal was locked.

Last edited by logicalidiot : 16th July 2022 at 18:26.
logicalidiot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2022, 21:19   #239
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicalidiot View Post
Try Rainbow app, the method works fine for me on Rainbow and I was able to fly above 15m numerous times.
Oh I dont have a problem with the 15m limit since Litchi works just fine over 15m too. I meant to say that if I set the height limit to be over 15m in the Litchi app, switching back to DJI Fly still resets it back to 15m (I realise that my wording might have been loose and caused confusion)

Quote:

On other note, I have an OCD to keep my apps updated if the particular app prompts me to. Even though I know DJI might fix this bug over newer versions, I still keep my fingers crossed and update it. But I'd suggest others to not update them, cos you never know.
I am generally not an update guy. I buy things for what they are - as opposed to what they might become. So I made sure Litchi works with Mini 2 before I got the drone and the app - and it does. The devs are reasonably responsive too on their forums to feature requests and help. Highly recommend the app. I have only checked out Rainbow cursorily when I was shopping for an app to use in place of DJI Fly - then I felt that Litchi was the app for me (since I didn't mind paying for it) and it had advanced features that I wanted to use.

Very, very rarely in my life have things ever improved when I update any software - it doesn't matter if its Windows, or Android/phone system software or some app or something else like a driver. Unless I know that I currently have a problem that is solved by an update, I generally dont update once I have a working setup - even more so when its an important piece of software like the OS or a critical app like DJI Fly.

The only notable exceptions to that would be browsers and some apps that use version lockouts (old versions becoming unusable by explicit design) - like how Google pay did a little while ago.

Last edited by Transmission : 16th July 2022 at 21:23.
Old 17th July 2022, 09:50   #240
BHPian

Quote:
Oh I dont have a problem with the 15m limit since Litchi works just fine over 15m too. I meant to say that if I set the height limit to be over 15m in the Litchi app, switching back to DJI Fly still resets it back to 15m (I realise that my wording might have been loose and caused confusion)
I meant that there is a way to get 15m+ limit on DJI Fly app as well. I haven't used Litchi (probably works on Litchi as well) but I have tried this a couple of times on the Rainbow app to re-set the altitude limit. Below is what I follow and this has let me fly above 15m on the DJI Fly app as well.
  • Turn on the drone and RC controller as usual.
  • Connect to DJI Fly app.
  • Once DJI Fly app is connected and drone is ready, unplug the cable (I think turning off RC controller works as well) and minimize the DJI Fly app (do not close it).
  • Re-plug the cable (or turn on the RC controller again) but this time, connect to Rainbow app.
  • When you're connected to Rainbow app, go to settings to change the Altitude limit and RTH Altitude limit as you want.
  • Minimize the Rainbow app, unplug the cable again and then open the DJI Fly app which is running in the background.
  • Re-plug the cable to your phone when you have DJI Fly app open.
  • Once it successfully connects and syncs through, you'd notice that the altitude limit is now updated to what you inputted on the Rainbow app.
logicalidiot is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks