Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2022, 14:43   #256
BHPian

Re: The Drones Thread - Reviews, Tips, Advice

Folks,

Quick question - I already have a drone (Mavic Mini - Gen 1, Fly more combo). I bought this before importing drones was illegal in India. So nothing "technically incorrect" in my drone ownership. Unregistered as it is a nano drone.

I am planning a trip to Nepal next year and how do I legally carry this (to Nepal and back)?

When I fly locally, airport authorities are quite knowledged about dos and donts. I always carry the batteries and controller in my hand baggage while the drone itself is checked in. Airport security staff have pulled me up (when they detected drone batteries/controller during my hand bag scan) to confirm that the drone is packed into my check-in baggage. So all is well.

But for international travel, my brother tried to register the drone at the customs (on his way out of India) and was told this is an illegal item and you cannot carry it in or out. He was let off without any confiscation or registration on his way out, but was clearly told if you are caught on the way back, you will lose your drone.

This makes no sense. How can a rule be applicable retrospectively, and is there any way to legally carry drone out of India (and back of course).
Old 28th November 2022, 15:01   #257
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak View Post
I am planning a trip to Nepal next year and how do I legally carry this (to Nepal and back)?
Take it as usual and bring it back. Not worth trying hard to go the legal route in a country like ours with stupid rules and regulations passed without common sense. End of the day, you cant talk about rules and regulations if a customs officer is really cranky. Dont try to make it obvious to people that you have a drone on you. The Mavic mini is not something that can be detected in the X Ray also. Just pack it with the rest of the check in luggage keeping the batteries with you in the charging hub in cabin bag and it will be a breeze in customs.
audioholic is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2022, 22:06   #258
BHPian

Re: Purchasing drones from overseas (vs buying from the grey market in India)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjk24 View Post
Congrats on the purchase!
Do DJI offer after sales service/ support in India?
The facebook groups state that you can ask DJI helpdesk for service centers and they normally tell you ones near you. So it is possible to service these drones in India if needed
Old 9th December 2022, 21:14   #259
BHPian

DJI Mini 3 got introduced, replacing Mini 2. Costs around $100 more than Mini 2

The DJI app now supports offline maps

Last edited by Samfromindia : 9th December 2022 at 21:17.
Samfromindia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2022, 11:21   #260
BHPian

I was in Germany in October, and experienced the German Autobahn. Outside of Dusseldorf I filmed a short clip of the German Autobahn, hope you all like it.

arpanjha is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2022, 23:47   #261
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpanjha View Post
I was in Germany in October, and experienced the German Autobahn. Outside of Dusseldorf I filmed a short clip of the German Autobahn, hope you all like it.

https://Youtube.com/watch?v=dsREohkI...SIkaIECMiOmarE
Great video. Are you carrying drone between countries in flights ?
Old 21st December 2022, 16:54   #262
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samfromindia View Post
Great video. Are you carrying drone between countries in flights ?
Hi Sam, yes I carry the mini 2 from India to Eu (Germany, Italy & Netherlands). This was my 3rd trip in last 6 months, no hassle at all. But I made sure I got a valid Drone pilot license from Eu (Germany) before I flew in EU fly zones. Its easy, one needs to appear for an online examination which is pretty detailed.
arpanjha is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2022, 18:32   #263
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzikio_rage View Post
The facebook groups state that you can ask DJI helpdesk for service centers and they normally tell you ones near you. So it is possible to service these drones in India if needed
Reached out to them via the website chat, they bluntly said since drones are banned in India they do not have any authorized service centers.
=(
Old 29th December 2022, 19:45   #264
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Reached out to them via the website chat, they bluntly said since drones are banned in India they do not have any authorized service centers.
=(
Same issue here. Had an issue with the charging hub and wanted to claim warranty but they don't offer support. Need to take it to Germany and then arrange a pickup.
Old 29th December 2022, 20:14   #265
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Same issue here. Had an issue with the charging hub and wanted to claim warranty but they don't offer support. Need to take it to Germany and then arrange a pickup.
I did find a couple of third party options in Bangalore.
But the damage in my case though repairable, doesn't seem feasible.
So might as well get a replacement Mini 2.
With the Mini 3 announced and since I don't need the remote & accessories, it should be lighter on the pocket.

Name:  DJIM2.png
Views: 512
Size:  751.2 KB
Old 5th January 2023, 20:46   #266
BHPian

Quote:
=(
Quote:
Quote:
I did find a couple of third party options in Bangalore.
But the damage in my case though repairable, doesn't seem feasible.
So might as well get a replacement Mini 2.
With the Mini 3 announced and since I don't need the remote & accessories, it should be lighter on the pocket.

Attachment 2396787
There are many aftermarket repair options in major cities who do quite a decent job. This is one in my hometown :

Old 10th January 2023, 02:55   #267
BHPian

India's indigenous drone manufacturing push got featured on BBC World :

Old 28th January 2023, 23:28   #268
Distinguished - BHPian

Had a blast shooting some beach side clips from my Mavic Mini. I was thoroughly impressed with how stable it was even in windy conditions with the wind warning popping up every second. Was able to fly it above 250m with confidence and on water. Glad to share a compilation of the same:

Another thing I always wanted to try was to control the drone from a moving vehicle(didn't use the tracking function) and that also went well. I had the sunroof open to ensure there is lesser interference and the controller can maintain line of sight. The control and communication was stable for a running distance of 1km and after that there was a short loss of communication. Quickly got down from the car and the link was restored so no mishaps. Since I was not the one driving it was slightly tricky to maintain the frame. But this drone has been paisa vasool for me for the new perspectives it has offered.
audioholic is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th February 2023, 04:00   #269

Quote:
Had a blast shooting some beach side clips from my Mavic Mini. I was thoroughly impressed with how stable it was even in windy conditions with the wind warning popping up every second. Was able to fly it above 250m with confidence and on water. Glad to share a compilation of the the same.
Nice video. Is this from the mavic mini 1 ? How were you able to get past the 15m height limit in the app ?
Old 12th February 2023, 23:01   #270
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix_VR View Post
Nice video. Is this from the mavic mini 1 ? How were you able to get past the 15m height limit in the app ?
I don't use the official DJI app but instead use Litchi in iPhone where you can set whatever max height you want.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed