Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2020, 18:03   #46
BHPian

Re: The Drones Thread - Reviews, Tips, Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
Nice Ashish. I was looking at the Tello too, but somehow, i am still stuck on the Mavic Mini. [/url]
I was considering tello for a brief period before i bought the Mavic Mini in the last month sale. Got me the basic kit. Now having used it for a little more than a week, if you can afford the mini go for it. The place where i'm, its very windy, but the 3 axis gimbal makes the photos and videos very stable and are awesome.The quality of the pictures and videos are now limited to my ability in flying the drone.

Its a very good learning experience which I dont think is possible with the tello, which a friend of mine bought and now regrets as he couldnt use it outdoors like he wanted. The camera setup is pretty decent though.
varunanb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th August 2020, 19:22   #47
Senior - BHPian

That's what i am thinking too. The Gimbal is a key usp for the Mini. And the other thing i noticed with the Tello is that we fly using our mobile phones. The remote is an accessory and it comes at an additional cost. I am trying to determine the range and height of the Tello, but i am not able to see any reliable information.

I might as well wait for the price drop for the Mini combo and go for it. End of the day, this is an acquisition that you don't want to get bored inside 2 months and it perhaps makes sense to go for a higher end model that can serve for a longer time. So, my wait for the Mini combo continues.
Old 6th August 2020, 19:44   #48
BHPian

I too am waiting for the fly-more combo.

The base Mavic Mini drone was on sale yesterday for a few minutes for 31K again, but was not deliverable to Bangalore (surprising, as the seller was Appario Retail). But in hindsight, I think, it would be more prudent to wait for the fly-more combo, specially with the additional batteries and propellers that come with it. I do not see any links to buy the additional batteries separately (at least on Amazon India) so I think this will be extremely valuable. If anyone comes across any good deals on the Mavic Mini or the Mavic Mini Fly-More combo, would request you to please notify in this thread.

Last edited by sachinayak : 6th August 2020 at 19:46.
Old 6th August 2020, 20:57   #49
BHPian

It makes perfect sense to buy Fly-more combo.

This is what I have experienced from my limited use of mini.

1. Battery life lasts up to 20min. By around that time you would prefer to land. I had very low confidence to stay in air once battery drops below 40% and always landed as it nears 20%.
2. You may start recording only after composing your shot right. This can take up to 5min before you start doing something useful. This may improve with experience.
3. Due to wind and other reasons, you may take extra time to start shooting.
4. This is a very delicate toy. You will need a good carry bag tailored for it like the one comes in fly-more.
5. Battery pack in fly-more can be used for charging remote is good thing.
Old 6th August 2020, 20:59   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak View Post
I too am waiting for the fly-more combo. Missed getting it.

The base Mavic Mini drone was on sale yesterday for a few minutes for 31K again, but was not deliverable to Bangalore (surprising, as the seller was Appario Retail). But in hindsight, I think, it would be more prudent to wait for the fly-more combo, specially with the additional batteries and propellers that come with it. I do not see any links to buy the additional batteries separately (at least on Amazon India) so I think this will be extremely valuable. If anyone comes across any good deals on the Mavic Mini or the Mavic Mini Fly-More combo, would request you to please notify in this thread.
Yes. Flymore combo for 38k was a great deal when compared to its current retailing price.

Initially thought my flight time wouldn’t be more than 20-25 mins which the single battery could handle. This is already creating difficulties as every time I take it out to practice flying, the first few minutes goes towards refamiliarising with the controls and flying watching the video feed. I wish I had another 20 mins of flight time and recharging the battery takes atleast 2.5 to 3 hours. However, the drone gets a little hot by the end of 20-25 minutes.

Waiting for the Accesories to start hitting the market. Would pick up an additional battery.

It’s a great learning tool and fast becoming addictive.
Old 7th August 2020, 12:16   #51
BHPian

Where are you all flying your drones in the cities? If you know specific locations in BLR for stress free flying, please share

Also, many people experience flyaways due to wind gusts. I found online that UAV forecast is the go-to app for drone enthusiasts. (no association with the app)
Attached Thumbnails
The Drones Thread - Reviews, Tips, Advice-photo_20200807-12.02.24.jpeg  

vaibzi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th August 2020, 21:20   #52
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51morris View Post
Hey Sumitro!

I must admit, drones open up a whole different perspective! I would strongly recommend that you get one
I listened to your advice and finally took the plunge. Got the Mavic Mini Fly More Combo yesterday. At first I bought it from Jessops on finance, but they were not updating the order status for almost 5 days. When I contacted them they said that the DJI Care package that I had bought was out of stock and they could not send the drone separately. So I had to cancel that order and bought one from Amazon with credit card. They sent the drone yesterday but said that the care package would arrive on September 1st. DJI policy says that the care package has to be activated within 48 hours of activating the drone. So I panicked and went ahead with buying the care package from DJI store. After that I found out that Amazon has already shipped the package and I cannot cancel it anymore and it arrived today afternoon

Anyways, I started flying the drone today inside the house and it is so exciting that I am thinking why I did not buy it before! I followed the DJI youtube videos and found that it is very easy to fly.

A few pictures -

The Drones Thread - Reviews, Tips, Advice-1.jpg

The Drones Thread - Reviews, Tips, Advice-2.jpg

The Drones Thread - Reviews, Tips, Advice-3.jpg

The Drones Thread - Reviews, Tips, Advice-4.jpg

The Drones Thread - Reviews, Tips, Advice-5.jpg

The Drones Thread - Reviews, Tips, Advice-6.jpg

The Drones Thread - Reviews, Tips, Advice-7.jpg

The Drones Thread - Reviews, Tips, Advice-8.jpg

In flight - took this picture from below. It looked really cool but the picture did not come out well.

The Drones Thread - Reviews, Tips, Advice-9.jpg

Last edited by BlackPearl : 12th August 2020 at 21:21.
BlackPearl is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 13th August 2020, 12:45   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
I listened to your advice and finally took the plunge. Got the Mavic Mini Fly More Combo yesterday. At first I bought it from Jessops on finance, but they were not updating the order status for almost 5 days. When I contacted them they said that the DJI Care package that I had bought was out of stock and they could not send the drone separately. So I had to cancel that order and bought one from Amazon with credit card. They sent the drone yesterday but said that the care package would arrive on September 1st. DJI policy says that the care package has to be activated within 48 hours of activating the drone. So I panicked and went ahead with buying the care package from DJI store. After that I found out that Amazon has already shipped the package and I cannot cancel it anymore and it arrived today afternoon

Anyways, I started flying the drone today inside the house and it is so exciting that I am thinking why I did not buy it before! I followed the DJI Youtube videos and found that it is very easy to fly.
Congratulations!!! You will surely be able to get some fantastic pictures in this country. DJI drones are extremely easy to fly and enable some very creative photography.

What exactly is the care package and how does it work? Will PM/WhatsApp you for details.

Just make sure so you extra careful about how/where you fly the drone - people are extremely nervous when it comes to drones flying around. The rozzers are quite strict too, so please do install the NATS Drone Assist app and only fly when it shows green.

The thing I noticed recently when I flew the drone in the Cotswolds, the Mavic Mini stops when it reaches the maximum legally-allowed distance from the pilot. 120m I think this is. Beyond this, the drone would simply not fly and would just hover in place. Didn’t have the time to dig through settings to see if one can over-ride this.

Cheers,
Praveen
51morris is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2020, 19:43   #54
Team-BHP Support

Found out that the mavic mini weighs more than 250 grams with the propeller protectors. I am planning to fly it for the time being with the protectors attached. So did not want to take any chance and got an operator id and flyer id required for flying drones weighing over 250 grams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51morris View Post
What exactly is the care package and how does it work? Will PM/WhatsApp you for details.
Pasting the details of the care package here -

Quote:

Coverage

If damage occurs accidentally to your product under normal use, DJI Care Refresh offers up to two replacement units for a small additional charge each time the service is requested. The replacement units will be in new or equivalent to new in performance and reliability.

For the Osmo Series, the camera and battery can be replaced.

For the Mavic series and Spark, the aircraft, gimbal, camera, battery and propellers can be replaced.

For the Ronin series, the gimbal mechanics and grip (including battery) can be replaced.

For the Phantom 4 Pro series, Phantom 4 Advanced and Phantom 3 SE, the aircraft, gimbal, camera and propellers can be replaced.

For the Inspire 2, the aircraft and propellers can be replaced.

For the Zenmuse X4S, X5S and X7, the gimbal and camera( including lens) can be replaced.

Some important details are listed below:

1) Damage to aircraft, gimbal or camera due to dropping, compression, or crashing caused by operator error or accident, will be supported by the replacement service provided that the unit is sent to DJI within the period of validity.

2) If you choose to apply for a replacement under DJI Care Refresh, your original product needs to be returned to DJI and a replacement service fee will be charged. After replacement, the original product becomes DJI’s property and the replacement product is your property, with coverage effective for the remaining period of the Plan.

3) DJI Care Refresh and the corresponding product must be purchased from the same country or region. DJI Care Refresh only supports product purchased from official or authorized channels, and its benefits are only eligible in the region where it was purchased.

4) DJI will cover shipping fees only in the country or region where DJI Care Refresh was purchased. Otherwise, the customer will bear responsibility any shipping and customs fees caused by sending the product from another region. DJI has the right to refuse service in this circumstance.

5) DJI Care Refresh includes two replacements. If you claim for replacement of your product twice, DJI shall be considered to have fully executed the DJI Care Refresh service. The DJI Care Refresh service will then be terminated.

6) The first time replacement fee is GBP 39, the second time replacement fee is GBP 45.

Exclusions

The service does not cover:

1) Lost or partially lost product and accessories.

2) Stolen or abandoned product and accessories.

3) Damage caused by flight in unsuitable environments.

4) The remote controller or any accessories mounted to your product.

5) Deliberate losses.

6) Abrasions and shell damage that do not affect the performance of the product.

7) Direct or indirect losses caused by force majeure.

8) Replacement requests out of DJI Care Refresh’s period of validity.

9) Extra fees resulting from technical enhancements or performance improvements.

10) Damage resulting from unauthorized circuit restructuring, or the use of incompatible batteries and charger.

11) Damage resulting from using under-charged or defective batteries.

Replacement Process

1) If damage to your DJI product occurs and you are within DJI Care Refresh coverage, contact DJI Support via http://www.dji.com/support, TEL and ONLINE SUPPORT are preferred.

2) Send your product (including the aircraft, gimbal, camera, propellers or battery) based on the DJI Care Refresh warranty plan you have purchased to a DJI designated repair center under the instruction of DJI Support.

If you purchase DJI Care Refresh (Inspire 2), send the aircraft and propellers.

If you purchase DJI Care Refresh (X4S/X5S/X7), send X4S, X5S or X7 gimbal and camera( including lens).

If you purchase DJI Care Refresh (Ronin Series), send the gimbal mechanics and grip (including battery)

If you purchase DJI Care Refresh (Phantom 4 Pro series, Phantom 4 Advanced and Phantom 3 SE), send the aircraft, gimbal, camera and propellers.

If you purchase DJI Care Refresh (Mavic series and Spark), send the aircraft, gimbal, camera and propellers. In order to shorten logistics time, please do not send back the battery if it works well.

If you purchase DJI Care Refresh (Osmo series), send the camera. In order to shorten logistics time, please do not send back the battery if it works well.

If you do not send the required part(s), DJI may require you to send it (them) again or decline your replacement request.

3) DO NOT return the remote controller. You will be required to undertake any fees incurred from returning the remote controller.

4) DJI Care Refresh provides up to two replacements for your product. For each replacement service, DJI Care Refresh for the Osmo series, Mavic series and Spark covers only one battery replacement. Please do not send additional batteries or accessories. Otherwise, the customer will be responsible for any related shipping and handling fees.

5) If damage to your product occurs and you are within DJI Care Refresh’s coverage, you will receive a quotation about repair fees. You can choose to pay for repair or replace your product. For replacement services, an additional fee will be charged. After the payment is confirmed, DJI will send the replacement to you.

Fee

There are no hidden charges for the replacement service. After you choose DJI Care Refresh, you will receive prioritized service. The cost of two way postage for customers within DJI Care Refresh service areas will be covered by DJI. In other areas, these costs and any associated customer’s duties are at the customer's expense. In all areas the custom fees are at the customer's expense. Each time the replacement service is requested, a service fee will be charged.

Last edited by BlackPearl : 14th August 2020 at 19:45.
BlackPearl is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th August 2020, 23:34   #55
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
I listened to your advice and finally took the plunge. Got the Mavic Mini Fly More Combo yesterday.
Congrats! Now treat us to some nics snaps and clips from that part of the world Sumitro da!
Gannu_1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2020, 23:49   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunanb View Post
Yes. Flymore combo for 38k was a great deal when compared to its current retailing price.

Initially thought my flight time wouldn’t be more than 20-25 mins which the single battery could handle.

Waiting for the Accesories to start hitting the market. Would pick up an additional battery.

It’s a great learning tool and fast becoming addictive.

The Mavic Mini battery is available on Amazon for 9990 bucks.

Aside, I am still looking for the price drop. I so wish that the one shipped to me was not defective.
Old 15th August 2020, 19:24   #57
BHPian

Hi all, I also recently bought the DJI mavic mini drone.
I found it to be a very good and easy to use drone.
I was wanting a drone since a long time and finally took the plunge.
I haven't bought it from onine stores but from a electronics store.
I was earlier apprehensive about how a drone will work and will it be difficult to use but using this drone changed my perception.

I have made a small video on the same. Pls go through it, hope it helps.
StallionAmit is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2020, 09:34   #58
Senior - BHPian

Can anyone shed some light on what is Equipment Type Approval (ETA) and how to procure it? I had ordered a replacement for my KK6 WiFi 4K Drone from AliExpress, and now it is held at Customs Office in New Delhi only to be released when I can provide the ETA. Does every customer need to provide/purchase ETA or every item is given one ETA and we need to check online somewhere and provide that to the Custom Office as proof that this drone has already undergone ETA in India with the reference PDF or attached document? Any help would be welcome.

Most of the PDF links on the WPC website are non functional in regards to ETA and ETA Approved items etc.
Old 23rd August 2020, 20:13   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdityaDeane View Post
I had ordered a replacement for my KK6 WiFi 4K Drone from AliExpress, and now it is held at Customs Office in New Delhi .
It is nearly impossible to get the license to release the drone unless you can prove to them that you intend to use the drone for research purposes. That is what I remember reading about in Rcindia forums. Importing drones and parts are illegal and most often get seized by customs. Parts may reach you depending on your luck as long as you ask the seller not to label it as drone/quad parts. Strange law since all these drones are freely available online in India.

Tell them it was a toy drone weighing less than 250gms for personal use. If it fails ask them to resend the item back and get a refund. People have been fined or issued show cause notices for importing drones.
tomraven99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2020, 20:39   #60
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdityaDeane View Post
Can anyone shed some light on what is Equipment Type Approval (ETA) and how to procure it? I had ordered a replacement for my KK6 WiFi 4K Drone from AliExpress, and now it is held at Customs Office in New Delhi only to be released when I can provide the ETA. Does every customer need to provide/purchase ETA or every item is given one ETA and we need to check online somewhere and provide that to the Custom Office as proof that this drone has already undergone ETA in India with the reference PDF or attached document? Any help would be welcome.
Even if you are able to find a ETA for it, highly unlikely since its not a popular quad. You will still need a important licence which is impossible for a common man to get, irrespecitive of whether the drone is less then 250grams.
Best to ask the customs to return it back to the seller.
aim120 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks