Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2020, 09:35   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tell us about your older non-smart, non-iPhones from the yesteryears

Don't have pictures of the phones I have owned but nothing all that exciting except for one Sony Ericsson model.

Like most of us, I started of with a brick, A blue Motorola Talkabout MC2. It would work in places where most phones would loose their signal. Sadly; this was a short lived phone for me. The battery failed in less than a year to the point where I had to keep it plugged in all the time else it would die. This ended my innings with Motorola. Was sad cause I felt I had picked a brand and from one of the pioneers of mobile phone technology.

Next up was a Philips Fisio 625. The worst phone I have owned to date. This was an eye closed purchase, being a Philips. We were a Philips household so it was natural to pick up a Philips device when it was available. Never thought the phone would be so flawed. The software was absolutely horrible and the phone used to lock up, freeze every now and then. Went through two replacement units and I finally gave up. They actually refunded my money which is unheard off even today. Those were the days Philips were run by Philips so service standards were a lot better.

Next up was my first color screen phone, the Sony Ericsson T310. This phone was awesome and had all kinds of extra attachments you could buy, even a camera module. Infra red transmitter too. Could transfer images and music files wireless! I used this feature quite a bit.

With the above experience, the most sensible upgrade at the time was another Sony Ericsson and it was the iconic K750i. This was a massive step up from the T310. This phone introduced me to digital photography. High resolution color screen, music playback software, a superb 2 mega pixel camera, Radio, expandable storage, the works. The camera was hands down the best there was. I have several photos taken with this phone and some pictures are comparable to modern day smart phone cameras. It had very good auto exposure control and never over saturated colors. Also had a mechanical lens cover which would activate the camera unit. The dedicated shutter button was a proper camera two step control system. Press down lightly to focus and all the way down to take a picture, just like a real camera.

I got back to Motorola after the K750i. My first smartphone which was a Atrix 2 but that is not for discussion here.
Old 30th July 2020, 09:56   #62

Sony Ericsson W580i
This was my first and the only "pre - smartphone era" phone which was purchased in 2008 while still at school. The thing I loved about this phone was the flashing colour LEDs on the sides. The quality of the buttons weren't good and started cracking within the first year. I still have this phone which is in a bricked state now.
Attached Thumbnails
Tell us about your older non-smart, non-iPhones from the yesteryears-img_20200730_094140.jpg  

Tell us about your older non-smart, non-iPhones from the yesteryears-img_20200730_094240.jpg  

Cleatus Wesley is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2020, 10:20   #63
BHPian

These are the phones I've used. The moto brick, Nokia 8810, 5510 and 3310 were hand me downs from my dad, and the others are ones I have used exclusively

Moved from Sony to Samsung after the w705. Helps that we became official Samsung distributors
Attached Thumbnails
Tell us about your older non-smart, non-iPhones from the yesteryears-slide1.jpg  

Tell us about your older non-smart, non-iPhones from the yesteryears-slide2.jpg  

Old 31st July 2020, 07:51   #64
BHPian

My Nokia 5130 Xpress Music I purchased may be in 2006 (I don't remember exactly). Still works with my old BSNL number, uses a BL-5C battery which easily lasts for over 3 days.
Attached Thumbnails
Tell us about your older non-smart, non-iPhones from the yesteryears-nokia_5130.jpg  

Old 31st July 2020, 11:09   #65
BHPian

Y'all know what I am doing in the background here? Guessing your age by your first phone..

just kidding - what a rush of memories. The Sony W series was a fun phone. But nothing IMO beat the Nokia 6600. I'll throw in the Blackberry 8320 series as well. My kiddo used to hammer things down with that phone. I had a strip of those center track "pearl" balls since that would just fail or fall out once in a while. Not to mention the status that it got in Corporate India in early years. (He has a BB, he must be a senior guy)

First phone was the Sprint flip phone. God awful phone with terrible network capabilities. But it, along with the Razr, were totally cool.

Back in India, I remember the Motorola L2 slim phone. It was one of the few phones that did NOT have a camera. So working in tech services, this was a coveted phone where client work areas would prohibit phones with cameras.
Old 6th August 2020, 15:58   #66
BHPian

I have just one image of all my darlings for more than a decade. I handed them over to Croma for e-waste disposal last year and that was the reason for taking this image. The first one gave me much higher happiness quotient than my latest One Plus 7T. It had Snake and a whitelit display. Over the last 8 years is when the mobile technology has evolved drastically with phones having better cameras than many entry level Point and Shoot Cameras, sans the Optical Zoom and the processors are faster and having more RAMs than laptops.. reading everyone's narratives here brings back a "collective nostalgia" if I may call it that.
Attached Thumbnails
Tell us about your older non-smart, non-iPhones from the yesteryears-img_20191024_113735.jpg  

Thunderlover is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2020, 22:17   #67
BHPian

I started out with a humble nokia 3315 in 2005. Whoa. That's like 15 years ago. Also, I'm sorry I don't have original pics for any of my phones except OnePlus 6T, and I ended up selling/exchanging all the old phones, so don't have them either with me. So please excuse that. :-)

Then had a lot of phones and I've listed them all down here.

1a. Nokia 3315 - First phone, when STD calls were 5rs a min on mobile phones, and getting a SIM card itself was pain (BSNL had waiting list, and you needed people with connects in BSNL to get connection. pun intended). Amazing battery life, which i used to max by playing snake. Ohh, was simply addicted. I still remember, there was no contact storage on device, and I could store only 100 odd numbers on SIM - which meant that i had to frequently delete the numbers that i didn't use. Also the sim card used to allow only 14 texts to be stored, which meant that i had to take great pains to delete texts that I absolutely loved. (Costed me approx 4.5K in 2005)

Tell us about your older non-smart, non-iPhones from the yesteryears-nokia_3315_nhm_5ny_200x300_mpi_1_3098.jpg

1b. Nokia 2600 - was bought mostly for parents, but I ended up using it. It had a color screen and a couple of fun games.

Tell us about your older non-smart, non-iPhones from the yesteryears-no2600_00.jpg

2. Nokia 6020 - Gifted by my late grandma, when I joined engineering college. I wanted to buy N6600 but unfortunately, that was way out of my budget. . Had color screen and multimedia capacity but no SD card support. (Costed me approx 6.5K in 2006)

Tell us about your older non-smart, non-iPhones from the yesteryears-11.jpg

3. Nokia 6630 - borrowed from my cousin brother, and god, this phone had a camera that could still put some camera phones to shame today. Amazing pics. Special for me, because my entire college life was captured using this camera phone. (Cost - zero/N6020)

Tell us about your older non-smart, non-iPhones from the yesteryears-no6630_00.jpg

4. Nokia X2-01 - Budget phone with QWERTY keyboard. I simply sucked the life out of this phone with the heavy usage that I had. Went through first relationship and break up which meant that the QWERTY keyboard was used to max either through texts or whatsapp messages. Amazing battery life though. (Cost - 4K in 2010)

Tell us about your older non-smart, non-iPhones from the yesteryears-nokiax201ofic1.jpg

5. Nokia C7 - bought for my sister, but used it for a couple of months before handing it over to her. Amazing phone. Amazing features from the dying Symbian OS. (Cost - 18K in 2010)

Tell us about your older non-smart, non-iPhones from the yesteryears-nokiac7ofic1.jpg

6. Blackberry Curve 8520 - bought on a whim, and then handed it over to my cousin who ended up losing it somewhere. (Cost approx 12K in 2012-13). Absolutely loved the tactile QWERTY keypad feedback.

Tell us about your older non-smart, non-iPhones from the yesteryears-bbcurve8520.jpg

7. Nokia 720 x2 - Daily user for at least a year or so, broke one, so bought another one.This was my last Nokia phone. I hated WP8 OS. Absolutely. (Cost approx 9k *2 = 18K in 2013)

Tell us about your older non-smart, non-iPhones from the yesteryears-nokialumia7202.jpg

8. Google Nexus 5 - This was a gifted one, beautiful in the shade of red. Battery capacity sucked though. Lost it and that was a sad day (in the same flaming red color. Cost = nil)

Tell us about your older non-smart, non-iPhones from the yesteryears-lgnexus5red.jpg

9. Mi 4i - Bought this before going to MBA college, was a wonderful phone with a beautiful design and buggy software that I hated. Broke it during college though. (Cost about ~15k in 2015)

Tell us about your older non-smart, non-iPhones from the yesteryears-xiaomimi4i2.jpg

10. Samsung J2 - Stop gap arrangement to run through the rest of MBA college duration. Everything sucked, along with the battery life. Ended up keeping it as a backup when I joined job post MBA. (Cost about 7k in 2016)

Tell us about your older non-smart, non-iPhones from the yesteryears-samsunggalaxyj22.jpg

11. iPhone 6s - Planning to buy a new phone when I joined my campus placement from MBA college, and then company's India IT head tells me (Was working for him for couple of critical initiatives), why do you want to buy a new one - our IT policy gives you an option of iPhone 6s or Galaxy S7 for a bare min amount. I was like why not. Already have an android, that too Samsung, so no more Samsung phones. Let's go with Apple. It was an amazing phone with a shitty battery life. Loved it though, and used it untill I left the firm. The first Apple product I've used and I really started taking a liking towards Apple products. Have used Macbook Air and currently using Pro, and I realize how people become Apple Fanboys. Beautifully designed and executed. Amazing product, but never value for money. (Cost = 10K, in 2016)

Tell us about your older non-smart, non-iPhones from the yesteryears-appleiphone6s1.jpg

12. Redmi Note 2 - Stop gap arrangement, borrowed from Mom, when I was between jobs. Broke it, but used it to max, because that was when we started with the PUBG fever. (Cost ~12K)

Tell us about your older non-smart, non-iPhones from the yesteryears-xiaomiredminote21.jpg

13. Samsung J6 x2 - Had bought this phone for my sister as a stop-gap arrangement because her phone's (OnePlus 3) screen had cracked. She ended up returning this to me, and I ended up using it. Had an okay experience with this. Broke it, so bought another one. (Cost ~13K in 2018)

Tell us about your older non-smart, non-iPhones from the yesteryears-samsunggalaxyj6j6001.jpg

14. OnePlus 6T (8GB/128GB) - The first costly phone that I bought for myself. Amazing experience - has served me for 1.5+ years and no complaints. Battery life is just amazing. Now I realize why OnePlus makes phones and calls them flagship killers. This phone could easily give phones double its price a run for their money. (Cost = 40K in 2018)

Tell us about your older non-smart, non-iPhones from the yesteryears-oneplus6tmidnightblack.jpg

15. OnePlus 8 Pro (12GB/256GB) - Was gifted one this birthday, and OMG, this is a truly rockstar of phone. Total Beast. Love the display, the lightning fast speed, battery capacity, camera and what not. Amazed by the products OnePlus Builds. (Cost = zero, 2020)

Tell us about your older non-smart, non-iPhones from the yesteryears-oneplus8pro1.jpg

All that being said, I'm getting tired of how large phones have grown in size. Looking forward to get a compact high performer, and iPhone SE seems to be a good option available. (Also Made in India)

Tell us about your older non-smart, non-iPhones from the yesteryears-appleiphonese20203.jpg

Last edited by LordSharan : 7th August 2020 at 22:23.
Old 8th August 2020, 12:05   #68
BHPian

Been quite the journey through the mobile landscape, huh?

Not exactly pre-smartphone, pre-iPhone, nevertheless here goes my list (all images borrowed).

1. Siemens C28 (2001-02)
Tell us about your older non-smart, non-iPhones from the yesteryears-img_0629.jpg
Not my phone, strictly speaking, but used to carry it around when dad used to be home on leave circa 2001-02. Incoming calls used to be charged on Escotel network, and if I remember right, outgoing tariff used to be like Rs.16/min.Have we come a long way.

2. Nokia 2652 (2004)
Tell us about your older non-smart, non-iPhones from the yesteryears-img_0621.jpg
Not among the usual suspects from the Finnish legend, this was gifted by my dad when I went off to Mumbai at the start of my banking career. Had a strong relationship going those days, and most of my memories of this phone relates to that. The plastic along the fold began to tear over time, and so had to let go of this.

3. Sony Ericsson K700 (2006)
Tell us about your older non-smart, non-iPhones from the yesteryears-img_0630.jpg
The first phone I bought with my own money. And maybe it’s getting boring, but the relationship I referred to earlier? It was broken up on this one. Quite telling, that while seemingly writing about mobile phones, I might in fact be looking at a therapeutic outlet for an old heartbreak? This one saw me move from Mumbai to Panjim, and took quite the abuse. The camera assembly at the back looked like serious business, though it was only VGA. One fine night, I forgot it at the Baskin Robbins outlet in Dona Paula. Bye bye Sony - and the heartbreak, hopefully.

4. Nokia N91 (2007)
Tell us about your older non-smart, non-iPhones from the yesteryears-img_0623.jpg
Boy, one hit with this beast, and you could fell an elephant! I see it weighed only 164g, but used to feel a lot heavier. The audio quality though, I bet it could put Sony’s W series to shame. Had a hard drive too, 2GB or so. Happened to drop it one time too often, and the flip down cover came off in the end.

5. Some Reliance phone (2009)
This was a temporary arrangement for those long hours spent talking with my now wife, then fiancee, because Reliance had some R to R offer going on as always. Can’t even find an image off the web, just goes to show how forgettable this was. The N91 continued to be my primary phone.

6. Nokia 2700 Classic (2010)
Tell us about your older non-smart, non-iPhones from the yesteryears-img_0624.jpg
Just a plain jane Nokia, no bells or whistles. After the N91 I felt I needed a simpler, lighter phone that just got the basics done. In hindsight, it was erring on the side of caution, because FB was just taking off in India, and I spent more time than I care to admit Facebooking on that 2-inch screen.

7. HTC Desire S (2011)
Tell us about your older non-smart, non-iPhones from the yesteryears-img_0625.jpg
Welcome to smartphones! The wife had the same year already purchased the Galaxy S from Flipkart, and I bought this from Letsbuy, so we were well and truly embedded on the e-com bandwagon! The phone was premium with that unibody aluminium build, a high quality LCD display for the time, and those stunning weather animations. Used and abused it for over 2 years, and most memories relate to either the innumerable pics of my then toddler girl, or the swinging good times I had with friends (who by the time had become more like family) in Goa.

8. Nokia Lumia 720 (2013)
Tell us about your older non-smart, non-iPhones from the yesteryears-img_0626.jpg
Over the past 2 years, the wife had switched from a Nokia 5230 to a Galaxy S and then a Galaxy Note, so I thought of trying out a new OS. While I heard all the raves about iOS, the closed ecosystem kind of put me off (you’ll see the irony by the end of this post!). So I picked up the Lumia 720, because well, it’s a Nokia right? I turned out part right - the phone build was great, the OS was beautiful - but the app choice/selection was poor. Plus the screen resolution (217 ppi) was a step down from the Desire S, and it turned out to be one of those decisions that you always regretted after having made. Used it for a year though, and I reached Chennai with this one.

9. iPhone 5 (2014)
Name:  IMG_0627.PNG
Views: 464
Size:  125.8 KB
Closed ecosystem, did I say? Hear me out. The wife traded in her Galaxy Note for the iPhone 5 (our first Apple device), and then the same year bought herself an Xperia. So I thought why not ditch the Lumia 720 whose quirkiness was now turning irritating, and give a go to the phone to beat them all, supposedly? So i start using the iPhone 5, and did it turn out to be one hell of a revelation. I couldn’t forgive myself for my earlier prejudice against iOS. Had never experienced such a sleek, smooth operating system on any of our earlier devices, while gorgeous at the same time and so on and blah blah - well now you know how Apple gets their fanboys!!

10. iPhone 5C (2015)
Tell us about your older non-smart, non-iPhones from the yesteryears-img_0631.jpg
Having tasted a bite of Apple (pun intended), I couldn’t think of going back to Android all over again. So when the itch to change came, this time both of us (meaning the wife too) went with the iPhone 5C. There was a cost consideration too, to be honest, since both of us wanted to be in the Apple ecosystem.

11. iPhone SE (2017)
Tell us about your older non-smart, non-iPhones from the yesteryears-img_0632.jpg
The 2 year itch, and both of us changed to the SE at the same time. This choice was more driven by the fact that we were not particularly fond of large form factors. The iPhone SE with its powerful internals and smaller footprint, made a compelling case.

12. iPhone 7 (2019)
Tell us about your older non-smart, non-iPhones from the yesteryears-img_0633.jpg
Well, this was unnecessary. The SE was going strong (except for battery life), but I happened on a deal for 30k and before I knew it, I ended up ordering and paying. I still don’t get why.

13. iPhone XS (2020)
Tell us about your older non-smart, non-iPhones from the yesteryears-img_0634.jpg
The iPhone 7 was an impulse purchase and while i really tried to justify it to myself by saying it was a great phone in a small package, I knew the display just did not cut it what with edge-to-edge and floating displays going around. While I still could not accept the larger form factors, there is really not much choice these days. But why the XS, why not the 11? The wife already bought the 11 earlier this year, and it’s just too big for my liking. The XS on the other hand has a similar footprint to the iPhone 7, and the higher res, AMOLED display was something I couldn’t resist. So this is my current phone.

As I said at the beginning, quite the journey, huh?
Old 10th August 2020, 14:39   #69
BHPian

My mobile phone ownership timeline:
Tell us about your older non-smart, non-iPhones from the yesteryears-mownedtchsvy-1.png

I started off with an Ericsson phone that I borrowed from my father in 2003. Then my father gifted me a Motorola C350, in a sea of black and white Nokia 2100s the C350 stood out and that's exactly what I wanted at that time.

After that I had few interesting devices, the Panasonic GD65 was virtually indestructible, Samsung T100, aka Tru-i was the first Samsung phone, if the not the first ever in the world, to come with a TFT display and Samsung used to provide a data cable with the mobile, something that was unheard of in those days for a feature phone. The interchangeable inlets on the Nokia 3200, then the Nokia 3650, a Symbian mobile with full size 16MB memory card. Every one of these were unique and were special to me. Glad to see many Nokia 6233s mentioned in this thread, that was a true music champion with dual speakers and I used to play Azeem-o-shan badshah from Jodha Akbar on the phone to the amazement of my friends, the sound quality on those speakers was unbeatable.
Old 10th August 2020, 15:27   #70
BHPian

Time to jog down memory lane.

My 1st phone gifted by dad in early 2000. The ubiquitous Nokia 3310.

Tell us about your older non-smart, non-iPhones from the yesteryears-nokia-3310.jpg

The phone which I bought with my own salary in 2004 was Sony Ericsson T100. I still remember it has a draw wallpaper app. I had drawn the Nike swoosh which was my wallpaper.

Tell us about your older non-smart, non-iPhones from the yesteryears-t100.jpg

The next one was the big purchase. The Sony Ericsson K750i. First experience of a colour screen and camera.

Tell us about your older non-smart, non-iPhones from the yesteryears-k750i.jpg

Next one was Nokia N73. Graduated to a bigger screen and better camera.

Tell us about your older non-smart, non-iPhones from the yesteryears-n73.jpg

Next one HTC Touch Diamond. My first touch screen phone. This one was a Windows OS and had a stylus.

Tell us about your older non-smart, non-iPhones from the yesteryears-htc.jpg

After the HTC phone conked off I took a hiatus and settled for a simple Samsung slider phone the model which I don't recall now.

Tell us about your older non-smart, non-iPhones from the yesteryears-samsung.jpg

Though off-topic I would like to share that in 2012 I bought my 1st Android, Sony Xperia Neo V.

Tell us about your older non-smart, non-iPhones from the yesteryears-xperia.jpg

Here I would like to mention that all my new purchases were after the previous phones stopped functioning properly. There was no impulse buys at that time. Only the Xperia Neo V survives to this day.

That's all folks, Thanks.
rajivr1612 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2020, 18:00   #71
BHPian

Interesting thread. I must say that the yesteryear cellphones were surely more interesting than those of today and each phone had a unique character, which is something that is lacking in today's phones. But again , our modern phones all have massive advantages too. A few years ago, I had decided to build up a collection of old cellphones starting from the ones that were lying around at home, as they were all in perfect condition and I didn't wish to throw them away as someday they'd be relics of the past ! They all bring back some cool and fun memories !

Tell us about your older non-smart, non-iPhones from the yesteryears-thumbnail-7.jpg
This was the first cellphone at home, it's a Nokia 5110. It was my dad's first phone back in 1998/99. Back then owning a phone was a novelty and talktime was a whopping 16 rupees per minute. It still works and the battery is well over 17 years old , the damn thing can survive a nuclear explosion !

Tell us about your older non-smart, non-iPhones from the yesteryears-thumbnail-10.jpg
Another one of the sturdy ones from the 90s. This is a Motorola Timeport I believe

Tell us about your older non-smart, non-iPhones from the yesteryears-f1187c64065f43dabd3f69ce75c67634-1.jpeg
Another very familiar phone . The one and only Nokia 3310. True to its durability, this phone has survived all odds . This was my mom's first phone and I remember chucking it down the staircase as a kid and dismantling it. It even survived after getting completely submerged in flood water. Still works to this very day! Nostalgia hits when Vodafone IN still shows up as Hutch/ Orange on this phone. Remember the classic commercial with the pug and the boy.

Tell us about your older non-smart, non-iPhones from the yesteryears-thumbnail-5.jpg
Not sure of this model, but its a Samsung phone from the early 2000s which was given by Reliance Com along with an LG phone for 500 rupees , when they had started their CDMA service. My dad had bought this to check out the service, but discontinued it in no time !

Tell us about your older non-smart, non-iPhones from the yesteryears-thumbnail-6.jpg
A motorola V series flip phone . These flip top phones were truly cool during their time

Tell us about your older non-smart, non-iPhones from the yesteryears-thumbnail-8.jpg
Nokia 6610. This I believe was one of Nokia's first phones to get a full colour display and polyphonic ringtones, which back then was a massive rage. I still remember my dad picking this one up from Vijay Sales and the family gathering around to witness the unboxing

Tell us about your older non-smart, non-iPhones from the yesteryears-6600.jpg
Nokia 6600. This too was very famous back in the day. This one was my mom's second phone. It was sturdy, ultra reliable and quite user friendly for its time. She liked it so much that she used it for 6 years straight, from 2004-2010 !

Tell us about your older non-smart, non-iPhones from the yesteryears-thumbnail-9.jpg
A slightly damaged Nokia 2600 from 2005. This phone was damaged under the wheel of motorbike, but that didn't kill it!

Tell us about your older non-smart, non-iPhones from the yesteryears-thumbnail-11.jpg
Nokia 2300. Fondly called the BUTTERFLY phone !

Tell us about your older non-smart, non-iPhones from the yesteryears-thumbnail-12.jpg
Nokia 1100. No need to talk about it, everyone knows this legendary phone !

Tell us about your older non-smart, non-iPhones from the yesteryears-thumbnail-14.jpg
Nokia N73. This was their flagship device at once point. It was superb, it had a 3MP Carl Zeiss camera and was user friendly too. I happened to get this phone as a hand me down from my dad.

Tell us about your older non-smart, non-iPhones from the yesteryears-thumbnail-15.jpg
Nokia 2700, nice compact phone

Tell us about your older non-smart, non-iPhones from the yesteryears-thumbnail-13.jpg
Nokia N86, a very cool slider phone !
Attached Thumbnails
Tell us about your older non-smart, non-iPhones from the yesteryears-thumbnail-16.jpg  

BeemerBug_06 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2020, 23:22   #72
BHPian

Interesting thread !

Here are couple of pictures from my archives.

Tell us about your older non-smart, non-iPhones from the yesteryears-image004.jpg
The left one is Nokia 3230,one of the early phones with Megapixel camera (1.3 Megapixels). The one on right is Nokia 7610, its a fashion icon and first Nokia phone with Megapixel camera i believe.

Tell us about your older non-smart, non-iPhones from the yesteryears-image377.jpg
This is Nokia N-Gage, predecessor to Nokia N-Gage QD and has a weird earpiece placement (on the side of the phone).

All this phones used run on Symbian S60 OS.
Old 4th September 2020, 19:13   #73
BHPian

Wow!! This thread is total nostalgia for any phone freak.

Nokia 3310 (circa 2000) - My journey with phones was when Nokia launched this masterpiece (yeah one of the first without a protruding antenna). Dad owned this for quite a while. Almost everyone had this phone once in their lifetime back then.

Nokia 6310i (circa 2002) - Mom got this as a company phone sometime in 2002. For me, it just meant new set of games apart from those on the 3310 (everyone knows which one).

Nokia 3110 (circa 2007) - Dad's phone after the 3310. Our first interaction with color screen, wallpapers, mp3 and 1.3 MP camera. Unfortunately, dad lost it and it never came back to us.

Nokia 6233 (circa 2007) - My first own phone during my 2nd year engg. Had bragging rights for stereo speakers and 3G in college. I lost one during a bus journey and filled FIR at the police station and could not recover it. Persuaded my parents to get me another one as I was in love with it. Still have it hidden in my cupboard.

Nokia E63 (circa 2010) - Bought this from my cousin as QWERTY was the in-thing then.

Samsung Galaxy S2 (circa 2012) - Got this as a birthday gift from parents and for securing a job. My first tryst with smartphones. Used it for a good time and one of the best I ever owned. Got it rooted, did numerous custom rom installations. Handed over to my mom who used it for a while.

Nokia Lumia 520 (circa 2013) - This was a phone I bought with my company policy and wanted to try Windows OS. Very fluid for 512 MB ram but that was just it. Lying in my cupboard at the moment.

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (circa 2014) - Was fascinated with the S-Pen and got this from Dubai during a sale (got a great deal compared to India prices). Unfortunately the phone stayed with me for just 2 years before it got partially damaged due to heavy rains in 2016.

Samsung Galaxy S7 (circa 2016) - Bought this after exchanging the Note 4 that was partially damaged and repairs was expensive. My Lumia 520 also got a motherboard damage on the same rainy day and had to pick up something quickly with Dual sim option. Got this on a great deal during Flipkart's sale. My current phone and has started to age (32 GB of internal storage is taking a toll and battery capacity has dropped to a paltry 2100 mAh from 3000 mAh)

Something I regret in my mobile journey; Never got to own a Nokia N-Series phone nor a Sony-Ericsson Walkman/Cybershot phone.

Looking forward to upgrade this year. The iPhone 12, Galaxy S20 Lite/FE and OnePlus 8T are on the radar.

Image source: Google

Tell us about your older non-smart, non-iPhones from the yesteryears-my-mobile-journey.jpg

Last edited by srinath34 : 4th September 2020 at 19:26.

Most Viewed