Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

View Poll Results: What do you prefer: Android or iOS?
Android only 182 41.08%
iOS only 150 33.86%
Both are fine. I might pick up either of the two options. 111 25.06%
Voters: 443. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2020, 09:41   #136
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Android vs iOS : Which do you prefer and why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by acestormtrooper View Post
Wanted to know where did you get your battery replaced from in Pune? A genuine apple service center or an regular mobile repair fellow. If so, what battery was used? Please do let me know. Thanks so much.
I got it replaced from the Apple Authorised service store on MG Road in Camp. I would strongly recommend an original battery from an ASC. The cheap chinese fakes are risky and the ASC does a perfect job with a 3 month warranty (IIRC) on the battery. Plus Apple's records are updated to reflect the new battery.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2020, 10:45   #137
BHPian

Will do so ASAP. I suppose it’s on East Streer behind MG road in camp.
Old 20th August 2020, 11:52   #138
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by acestormtrooper View Post
Will do so ASAP. I suppose it’s on East Streer behind MG road in camp.
It's approx. here: https://goo.gl/maps/jUR2oHBDvcwm1HyH9

It's the Unicorn store: Shop No. 2, Talera Court, Opp Budhani Bros, MG Road, next to Biba Store, Camp, Pune, Maharashtra 411001, India. 96 236-0999 (from google maps)

Call them for an appointment or updates on availability before going, with COVID operations would be impacted. It's very nicely set up and they did a very professional service with the battery replacement.

Last edited by R2D2 : 20th August 2020 at 11:53.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2020, 16:25   #139
Senior - BHPian

I know I'm late to this thread but i want to dispel two notions about Android!

1) They can actually last long! Yes, I'm taking about budget phones between 15-20k. Bought a Honor 6X for 17k in Feb 2017 and used it for 3.5 years. Yes it did slow down a bit and I was bored of the phone.

2) They do have resale value. I sold it for 4.5k. Total ownership cost is roughly ₹3600 per year. I wonder which iPhone will cost so low in the long run
Old 20th August 2020, 16:59   #140
BHPian

I have never ever sold my phones except for once. I usually buy new one when old one is broken which happens every 2 years. I never get the phones repaired. Spending huge sums on brand authorized repairs do not make sense to me. Besides this gives me an excuse to buy a new phone😏. I let these broken phones rot away in storage and then dispose them in garbage.
I guess this is an advantage of Android over iphone (Android phones being cheaper).
However I have a 3 year old Honor 8 pro as a spare phone with its battery replaced by a local repair shop. It's working fine.
Old 20th August 2020, 17:22   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neeraj0272 View Post
I have never ever sold my phones except for once. I usually buy new one when old one is broken which happens every 2 years. I never get the phones repaired. Spending huge sums on brand authorized repairs do not make sense to me. Besides this gives me an excuse to buy a new phone😏. I let these broken phones rot away in storage and then dispose them in garbage.
I guess this is an advantage of Android over iphone (Android phones being cheaper).
However I have a 3 year old Honor 8 pro as a spare phone with its battery replaced by a local repair shop. It's working fine.
Do your phones break due to mishandling? They won't go bad on their own unless it is from a not so good brand.
Old 20th August 2020, 17:40   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raksrules View Post
Do your phones break due to mishandling? They won't go bad on their own unless it is from a not so good brand.
What is mishandling if we speak of phones with glass screen and sometimes glass back and we keep it using in our hands whether we are walking, running or even sleeping 😁. One slip is all what it takes to break them.
My wife's average is in between 1 and 1.5 years. In return she gets to buy even cheaper phones. Knowing her weak points, she is in agreement.
Point is I don't find it worthwhile to get a 2 year old phone repaired.
As regards brands, I think inside components are of almost same durability of all phones from cheap 10k phones to premium 1L phones. At least that's what I have gathered from youtube tear down videos.
So brands don't matter much for the durability of inside components except for battery I think.
None of my phone has gone bad due to any faulty
inside component except for my son's Moto g whose charging port rusted.
Old 20th August 2020, 22:52   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neeraj0272 View Post
What is mishandling if we speak of phones with glass screen and sometimes glass back and we keep it using in our hands whether we are walking, running or even sleeping ��. One slip is all what it takes to break them.
Well unless you are someone who likes phones without case, how do slips, etc break them? I am using same iPhone since 5 years with a Spigen tough armor case and tempered glass screen protector. It has slipped numerous times and had taken hard fall. It still works great. Same with my wife's iPhone X which is 3 years old.

I am not saying iPhones age sturdy but in general any phone if you take care and use case and such.

Last edited by aah78 : 23rd August 2020 at 05:37. Reason: Quote trimmed. Spacing, typos.
Old 21st August 2020, 06:56   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raksrules View Post
Well unless you are someone who likes phones without case, how do slips, etc. break them?.
Yes. That's right. I have never used cases on my phones. I like phones to be as slim as possible.

Last edited by aah78 : 23rd August 2020 at 05:37. Reason: Typos, spacing fixed.
Old 23rd August 2020, 00:41   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Call them for an appointment or updates on availability before going, with COVID operations would be impacted. It's very nicely set up and they did a very professional service with the battery replacement.
Thanks so much. Shall check up on Monday for sure.
Old 1st September 2020, 07:39   #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT3 View Post
I have been an Android user for close to 7 years and have never tried IOS. Been thinking of jumping into the whole "Apple Ecosystem". Is the Ecosystem really worth the hype?
I am usually a silent lurker in the forums here, but this is something I have experience with and can talk about.

I had iphone 3G and iphone 4 before I permanently moved to Android.

IMO, for the things which you mentioned, Android is more than enough and just because I can spend the money, it does not make sense to actually spend it.

The apple ecosystem is overrated. You will get portability across devices especially photos, but the same thing can be achieved through google photos. Besides, if you run out of space, you need to pay for cloud storage anyway.

the biggest reason for my android recommendation is - my androids lasted better and longer than iphone 4. 4 was definitely getting throttled and a planned obsolescence was underway. My 2 subsequent android phones are easily besting 5yr mark and going strong.

Only thing about apple... while they may still collect data, they dont sell it and keep it very protected.
calibergemini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2021, 15:31   #147
BHPian

I'm going back to Android after a very short stint with the iOS. The only reason - my Android One has a built in spam call blocker. It would automatically silence spam/marketing callers without blocking genuine calls from valid businesses, like the calls from my service centres for vehicle servicing, insurance renewal etc. For the last few days that I have been on iOS, I have received numerous calls for loans, fastags what not. Something I never received in years on Android.

There are only paid 3rd party apps which can be used on iOS. And I'm not a fan of routing calls through another provider altogether. Wish Apple could give an equivalent of this on iOS. I liked the iphone for everything else but spam calls is a deal breaker for me.

Most Viewed