Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: What do you prefer: Android or iOS?
Android only 182 41.08%
iOS only 150 33.86%
Both are fine. I might pick up either of the two options. 111 25.06%
Voters: 443. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2020, 10:26   #31
BHPian

Re: Android vs iOS : Which do you prefer and why?

I have both; first generation Pixel and iPhone 6S. Both were bought about the time they were introduced; about 4 months apart. Support & security for the Pixel was dropped by Google more than year back, so no more security patches or OS upgrades, whereas the IPhone which came with iOS9 has gone through 3 major software upgrades, and tens of security patches. 5 years and it will still get one more major software upgrade & a set of security patches before it will ride into sunset.

Features are always going to be a dynamic element, there are somethings that iOS will do better whereas there are somethings that Android will do better. The place where iOS scores hands down over Android is software support and the tight optimised coding of the software. Apple scores because of its commitment to support its products for nearly 5 years after bringing them into the market.
PratikPatel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th August 2020, 10:58   #32
BHPian

I was an avid Android user (so much so that I advocated against the high priced Apple vehemently) and have used flagship devices from Samsung and 1+.
Then the missus gifted the iPhone Xs and I swear by the iOS smoothness and security.

Everything "just works" on iOS and works perfectly. My phone hasn't even lagged once despite it being "old" now. Enterprise apps work butter smooth ad the walled garden is fantastic.

td;dr
Go for iOS:
-If you like ease of use
-Security
-Are already in the Apple ecosystem
-Want everything to work perfectly
-If you keep your phone for long

Go for Android:
-If you like changing your phones often
-Want "freedom" to modify, change and tinker
-Hate the closed walled garden from Apple
-Don't want to shell out a lot

Today both offer excellent devices which are in no way inferior to the other, so it boils down to personal preference.
ValarMorghulis is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th August 2020, 11:15   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I think a lot of opinions are outdated. Yes, 5 - 6 years back, Android was lagging behind iOS, but you have to experience the latest Android phones.
Hit the nail on the head GTO.
Most Apple users have seen the old Android and havent experienced something like the OxygenOS which is even better than Samsung UI.

Its better than any android experience. I will bet any Apple user to try Oneplus for a couple of months and then switch back to Apple. They just wont.
2000rpm is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th August 2020, 11:24   #34
Senior - BHPian

There is definitely no right answer here and it is probably one of the most debated topics on the internet bringing out a lot of emotions !

I have always been an Android guy more because I didn't like the idea of being told I can do things only a certain way. Having used an iPhone as a work phone for around 1.5 years there are definitely benefits in the fluidity of iOS just by virtue of it being a closed ecosystem with standard HW running on all devices.

Android really cleaned up after Lollipop if you ask me with a much cleaner interface and has only gotten better since then. Today's android mid rangers and above offer a very good experience and the hanging and lags are rarely, if ever experienced.

I have always been a fan of stock Android / light skins like Oxygen OS, so have always used Nexus, Motorola or OnePlus phones. Recently moved to Samsung and am quite impressed with how they have cleaned up the UI with One UI.

Additionally having a Google Home + Chromecast, Android just works for me. Google assistant with Android Auto integration is also something I am too used to now.

Last edited by fiat_tarun : 10th August 2020 at 11:26. Reason: spacing
fiat_tarun is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th August 2020, 11:37   #35
BHPian

I have used only Android till date. There was a small seven day period, where I used an iphone 6.

When I was in the market for a new phone three years back, I wanted to try out iphone. My brother had been using iPhone for long. Also, due to all the iOS hype, I wanted to give it a try. So, I was like, if I like it I will keep it, else will pass on to my brother.

So I bought iPhone 6 with all the 'iPhone' excitement. Started using it. Absolutely loved its display quality. But only in seven days, I got fed up of the user experience. I did not like that its not as straight forward to use as an android phone. Even to go 'back', it was'nt a straight forward back arrow. And some other quirks. So eventually, I gave it to my brother.

Currently using Oneplus 7 pro since 8 months. But I have again decided to give one last try to owning an iPhone (in around 6-9 months from now), as I see so many people using one (including my circle). So there must be something good about it. Yes, I know its perhaps the best security wise.

Overall, Its the simplicity of operation of Android, that I absolutely love.
Mynameis is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th August 2020, 11:38   #36
Senior - BHPian

I have been a long time user of both iOS on iPads and Android on phones. My position on this for nearly the last decade has been -

For Tablets - Undoubtedly go for iOS (iPad). I haven't seen an Android tablet yet that gives me the overall experience of any iPad. It somehow seems that manufacturers have just given up on competing with iPad.
For Mobiles - I have always been a fan of the flexibility and open-ness of Android. Moreover, for a given sum of money my opinion is that Android devices deliver a far better hardware than Apple.
BUT - Only very recently, I am beginning to look again at an iPhone to replace my ageing Redmi Note 5 Pro (now in it's 3rd year). My main motivation for looking towards an iPhone now, has nothing to do with the hardware of any iPhone or it's cameras or anything; rather it is the relatively better application controls that iOS implements, that helps the overall Security and Privacy aspects.
My individual security and privacy is becoming the most important criteria for me going forward and this is where I am keenly looking towards iOS for my next purchase.

Last edited by roy_libran : 10th August 2020 at 11:43.
roy_libran is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 10th August 2020, 11:59   #37
Team-BHP Support

Mobiles -

Have used androids and iPhones. Advantage iPhone is, for basic features, iOS is the one to go for. It is stable, reliable, battery lasts, software updates, security updates do come. I personally prefer the UI of an iPhone.

Cons for iPhone for me -

# Network issue [iPhone 5 / 5S / 7]. Places where a Samsung had network, the iPhone did not. With the same telecom operator.

# You need a stable connection for updates, as, you can not simply pause an update and resume [or it does not happen by itself] and then you will have to connect it to a Mac [iTunes store].

# You start dialing a number, suggestions don't show up, this irks me. And truecaller specific, you don't know who is calling, you have to look up once call disconnects.

Almost all apps are brilliantly synced to an iPhone, but not truecaller.

From iPhone 7 I shifted to an Honor 10 [was oscillating between this & One Plus 6T], believe me, it was as fast as the iPhone till one day [almost 2 years later], its screen stopped working. Was thinking to get the iPhone 11, but choice of storage was not available in stores, couldn't venture anywhere due to pandemic, so got a Samsung with a snapdragon processor.

Tablets / Desktops - I personally prefer Apple products as I causally browse, so, that works for me. Personal / corporate banking too should be safer on Apple devices.

Last edited by Sheel : 14th August 2020 at 09:27.
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th August 2020, 12:05   #38
BHPian

I HAVE A DILEMMA GUYS : Back in 2014, I got my first iPhone 5S, upgraded to 6S in 2016 and XR in 2019.

I clearly remember when I made the first call attempt to my dad, it prompted ‘call failed’ and only after my 3/4 attempts, I could finally succeed at it. This has been a usual irritant along with frequent call drops, despite newer iOS coming over these years and me porting from Vodafone, Idea, Tata Docomo, Jio etc and also having a Signal Booster at home.

Up till recently I borrowed my mom’s spare Samsung J5 for some Tele Medication purposes. I was amazed how clear the other person sounded and there were absolutely ZERO call drops with my sim card.

This made me wonder if iOS, which is designed mostly in the US, where probably network isn’t as bad as ours, need perfect Signal to work. Any fluctuations and they’re not able to rectify the same.

Has anyone experienced anything similar when moved cross platforms? Please let me know the same. Thanks in advance.

How do Nokia fare when it comes to Network Reception? I would consider buying a Nokia android phone if a difference is found between iOS and Android.
dr.aviansh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th August 2020, 12:45   #39
BHPian

Like many of you, I have traversed the ecosystem on both ends.

On the OS, iOS definitely has a smoother experience but I didn't think that it was "OMG! THAT IS AMAZING" over the Samsung S10 that I have now. I'm sure power users may feel different but as the dude who's greatest extension in exploring his phone is to add another app, I don't really see why I'd shell out more for the iOS ecosystem. I can understand security features etc. but it's not like iOS is a fortress as they once were. Compared to Android, it's definitely more secure but I also think it's mainly due to the restricted ecosystem one is operating under. Dev folks though swear by iOS dev platforms as it's supposed to be a lot easier. My bean counter head doesn't understand these things at all.

Not to be caustic about it, I think I definitely get looked down upon in my company since I am the minority using Android but I am allowed to make fun of iOS even as they restrict my corporate apps usage differently.

Off Topic -

I think my major gripe with Apple is their devices and not their OS. I think they have just thrown "premium-ness" as a fad into the mix where once it was truly a sturdy, long lasting phone. Having seen the new iPads, I am definitely going to hold on to my iPad Retina for a long time to come. For the eye-watering bankrupting price they charge, I am not sure it's worth unless one would carry a lot of client sensitive, financial and personal information on their phones.
Mad Max is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th August 2020, 13:42   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.aviansh View Post
This made me wonder if iOS, which is designed mostly in the US, where probably network isn’t as bad as ours, need perfect Signal to work...
Naah. This seems to be a one off case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.aviansh View Post
Has anyone experienced anything similar when moved cross platforms?
Haven't faced this across the three iPhones we have at home.
ValarMorghulis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2020, 15:40   #41
KPR
BANNED

Before that somebody ask Apple why they haven't introduced dual sim phones when everyone had more than one sim ? Dual sim phone is a priority before android or iOS for many. Apple has started giving dual sim feature in their iphones so late. (Thanks to Jio/airtel kind of 4g services for making Apple provide dual sim facility).
KPR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th August 2020, 16:38   #42
BHPian

Android & Apple are like Ola & Uber. We desparately need a third alternative. Someone who could combine the hardware of Android phones to the software of Apple and keep the prices reasonable. It's like the whole world depends on the US for OS & China for hardware. If Huawei can refine their Harmony OS and give us Google apps, we would have a winner. Until then, I have to continue using my Moto G Plus
CarNerd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th August 2020, 16:57   #43
BHPian

Android.

Android mobiles are universal. My phone runs out of juice in a restaurant, in my village, in ASS or basically anywhere, i know a charger will be there. I stopped carrying chargers to wherever i go. Not the case with Oneplus or Apple. End of the day, basic purpose of a mobile is to stay connected.

Last edited by bharatbits : 10th August 2020 at 16:59.
bharatbits is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th August 2020, 17:26   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

I have used both and prefer Android over iOS.

iOS offers you smooth, lag free operation even 3-4 years down the line. Their RAM management is brilliant. But then there are a lot of restrictions as mentioned above related to connectivity.

Android offers you just that. You can open any type of file, use it as a USB, connect it to anything and everything and this is simply unbeatable. This of course comes at the cost of minor lags but not to the extent that it bothers me.

Another thing that made me look away from Apple is that it isn't made for high volume users. Until recently, they didn't have the concept of fast charging. I am not sure if they have started offering it now but Android has been offering that since a few years now. Fast charging is a blessing. Also a minor advantage of Android is its wider presence. For instance while working in the hospital, I can very easily source an Android charger for my phone while this is nearly impossible for Apple.
drmohitg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th August 2020, 17:31   #45
BHPian

Unpopular opinion: Updates are overrated, and many don't just care.

Android OS is better than iOS any day.
When comparing devices, compare apple and android devices at similar price points.
Apple's hardware is excellent, but I don't see a point in buying 4 year old models and form factor, when the choice is plenty in Android.

Closing with another unpopular opinion: Easy of use is miles ahead in Android when compared to iOS.
smartindboy is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks