Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: What do you prefer: Android or iOS?
Android only 182 41.08%
iOS only 150 33.86%
Both are fine. I might pick up either of the two options. 111 25.06%
Voters: 443. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2020, 11:02   #106
BHPian

Re: Toyota RAV4 coming to India as a CBU import

I am someone who used to use Android until a month back, I had even got a one of the best budget android phones, Mi A3.

I am a little careless user and have broken quite few number of screens. Suddenly Iphone SE was launched with A13 processor in a iphone 8 body!

Ive fruitlessly browsed amazons of the world at least 2 times a year looking for a compact phone which is also good at performance and features. I have loved fingerprint unlocking system since they were mainstream in android phones, when i was shopping for A3 I realized that there no good phones with dedicated fingerprint scanners, yet I bought an A3, immediately after buying I was dissatisfied with inscreen fingerprint sensor (this was slow). Also I am a big fan of premium cases and other accessories.

The compact form factor of Iphone SE with a proper fingerprint sensor attracted me at 37.4k.

My experience of the new iphone cannot be termed as perfect, I am a bigtime google photos user and it doesnt work well with the iphone, slomo and live photos donot render well in google photos.

In the longterm I always wanted to remove all my personal data from google server however difficult it may sound right now, using an iphone is a start in the right direction. I love the fact that ios is considered more private that the android. Overall I am happy, I have not voted in the poll because I cannot form an opinion as yet, as it depends on how long this iphone will actually last in my hand, and see if it actually ends up being cheaper in the long term.

Rant over.

Last edited by gauravanekar : 13th August 2020 at 11:05.
gauravanekar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2020, 11:20   #107
BHPian

Re: Android vs iOS : Which do you prefer and why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by arijitkanrar View Post
Not sure why you think it cannot be switched off?
Here is the camera UI on my OnePlus. You can see I've highlighted the options to choose the level of face retouching. I have it off as just like you I prefer the camera captures reality.
This option is not there on the OnePlus 7T.
Attached Thumbnails
Android vs iOS : Which do you prefer and why?-b9ab954fe924464e983aa6184ab8adca.jpeg  

Old 13th August 2020, 12:10   #108
BHPian

I am an Android lover for the freedom and flexibility it provides in terms of sharing files etc. Android was crap once but has become very polished now.
Apple is still the king of user experience but it comes at the expense of plethora of limitations.
Plus most apple devices are way over priced.

That said my opinion varies by device type:
Phone
No two ways about it. Android it is for phones! I still have my Op5 working great with fluid UX.

Tablet
Apple it is! The OS and apps are way more polished on an iPad than that on Android.
The tablet form factor was never treated seriously by Google and thus most apps are just stretched versions of mobile counterpart and lack finesse provided by iPad OS.
Moreover with introduction of affordable (relative to the phones) iPads (9.7 in 2017/18 and 10.2 in 2019) which although are still expensive than android tablets, the scene is different. I have an iPad 5th gen with age old A9 CPU and it still works great.

Last edited by djkher : 13th August 2020 at 12:18.
Old 13th August 2020, 12:22   #109
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohaak View Post
This option is not there on the OnePlus 7T.
That option is there only in the portait mode. Switch the camera to portait mode and then you will be able to see it.

One big difference between Android and Iphones is the features available to users. Android phones have a plethora of customization and features which they can change whereas Iphones typically have a set program for everything and what you see is what you get , eliminating the complexity for most people.
A big example of this is the pro mode of the camera in Oneplus - you have full functionality adjustments available -White balance, Aperture, Shutter, ISO to adjust so that you can take pro type pics.
Behemoth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2020, 12:24   #110
Senior - BHPian

After using four Android phones (flagships at that time), Samsung Galaxy S2, Samsung Galaxy Note 3 and Mi Note 4 for for couple of months before dumping it and moving on to Google Pixel 2 and now on iPhone 11, I can confidently say that I would stick to iOS for years to come!

Its clean, lean and mean.

Having said that Google Pixel 2 was by far the best Android phone I have ever come across. Google did an excellent job in tweaking it for a smoother experience.

Last edited by HammerHead : 13th August 2020 at 12:25.
HammerHead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2020, 12:36   #111
HMV
BHPian

I prefer iPhones. I've used Samsung's two Flagships, S9 and Note10+ and while they were good, I wasn't impressed. Then, I went from only iPhone to creating a small Apple Ecosystem (an iPhone, an Apple Watch and a MacBook) for me and I must say, it has got me impressed.

My reasons are listed below:
Awesome Build Quality: Design, Fit and Finish feel premium and built to last.
Superb Support: iPhone 6s was launched way back in 2015 and it's still scheduled to receive the major software update (iOS 14). Which Android device from 2015 is still supported?
Smaller-yet-significant things: There are subtle haptics (created using that sweet Taptic Engine) built into the software which are overall impressive while using the device.
Tight Integration of Hardware and Software: Software really feels like it's working according to the hardware it is being used in and not like one-size-fits-all. (e.g. With larger iPhones, landscape view is available in Apps while in smaller ones, it isn't. Software works well with the hardware.)
No Fragmentation Issue: This is the issue most Androids suffer from. Software is made as one-size-fits-all by Google and different manufacturers apply their own skins to it. As a result, many apps don't feel and work as great as they do in iPhones because they too follow one-size-fits-all solution. Due to less number of iPhones, apps can be configured according to different iPhones unlike Android where you need to even think of different Android versions. Fragmentation really is an issue with Androids. Moreover, with Samsungs, if I want to update Samsung apps, I need to visit 'Galaxy Store' and for other apps, 'Play Store'. In iPhones, all apps are updated using 'App Store' only.
Privacy: This is were iPhones can come as true winners. iOS 14 will be bringing even more Privacy features where it'll even notify you if any app uses your clipboard to copy information and if mic or camera is being used. Many apps were exposed copying clipboard information (link to the article) even with current (say, early) builds of iOS 14!
Continuity: This is truly amazing. Let's say, if I am writing a document on my Mac and if I want to continue doing it on my iPhone, I can just close my Mac and edit my documents on my iPhone. Similar case even from iPhone to Mac. Not only Documents, Reading Books, Websites, Movies and other System Apps can be used on either devices with seamless switching from one device to the other. I can pick up my call on my Apple Watch and while talking, I can switch to the iPhone and continue from there!
Handoff: I can copy something on one device and paste it on the other. This is really helpful while writing documents.
Longevity: While you pay more at the time of purchase, you can actually even out the cost by using it for long. With such a strong software support, you can still use an iPhone 6s today.
Apple Support: They are really amazing. You can initiate a Chat with Apple Support with 5-Minutes waiting time if any issue arises with any of your Apple device and continue until it gets resolved. They'll follow-up the next day for the feedback. All this with just a single app, Apple Support. My personal experience has been amazing.

I am not implying that Android Devices are bad (they are really great at customisation), I am saying that those who haven't tried iOS or iPhones should once give it a try. They're not as bad or restricted as they used to be earlier. My experience with Samsung's Flagships has been good but I wasn't as impressed as I am with my current phone. Nowadays, infamous Battery Life has been greatly improved as well.

Last edited by HMV : 13th August 2020 at 12:59. Reason: Trimming and Adding a few points.
HMV is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th August 2020, 13:25   #112
BHPian

I use an Android phone, an iPad, Apple HomePod, and Surface Pro as my personal computing device. Let's not forget my MacBook Pro loaner at work. I have also used quite a few iPhones in the past, so I can share my views on this

iPhone/Apple "Ecosystem" - Pros
  • Well designed hardware and software. There is a sense of polish that comes with all their products
  • Third party accessories such as cases, keyboards, Made for iPhone/iPad stuff are aplenty. This includes semi-professional hardware as well.
  • Pretty much seamless integration between devices - handoff and continuity are great. They really do simplify workflows.
  • Apple Watch is easily the best smartwatch out there, unless Google decides to do something meaningful with Watch OS
  • Some unique creative software like Garageband, iMovie, Clips etc., that will help kickstart some creative projects for you.
  • iPhone video capabilities are enough to get your video creation started pretty well

iPhone/Apple "Ecosystem" - Cons
  • Everything is expensive - hardware, accessories, chargers, cables, etc.,
  • Can be somewhat restricting since Apple's app store is the only way you can install apps
  • Expensive to repair in case of an accident - not very 'Right to Repair' friendly either. Then again, most modern devices are not.

I believe Android has matured over the last few years. Buggy software, lags etc., are pretty much taken care of in 2020. It also offers you a wider range to choose from - Samsung, Xiaomi, Vivo, OnePlus, Oppo etc., at various price points. Universal protocols such as Bluetooth, NFC etc., ensure you have ample accessories too, but they may not have the same level of seamless integration as an MFi product. Also, there may be some specific features from OEMs that will catch your fancy (Samsung Pay, Galaxy Note stylus, gimbal stabilised camera, high refresh rate display, you name it).

If budget is not a constraint, I would recommend an iPhone for you since the Apple Watch is a great fitness partner (better than Fitbit in my opinion). Any of the models currently sold in India by Apple should be relevant in terms of hardware and software for 3-4 years at least. If you are willing to wait, the iPhone 12 is 2-3 months away - may be worth it.

If you are looking at Android, a Galaxy S10, S20 or the OnePlus 8 series get my recommendation for well balanced set of features, hardware and cameras.
Old 13th August 2020, 14:39   #113
BHPian

I've been with Apple since before 2012 with the iPod and 2012 phone wise (iPhone 5) and will continue doing so. The main reason( others have been extensively covered in all 8 pages) is the amazing parental control it offers. With growing kids, the amount of Parental Control(aka Screen Time) I can remotely configure on their devices is brilliant.
Old 13th August 2020, 16:51   #114
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post
The main reason( others have been extensively covered in all 8 pages) is the amazing parental control it offers. With growing kids, the amount of Parental Control(aka Screen Time) I can remotely configure on their devices is brilliant.
This indeed is a great point. I most probably will continue on iOS for my personal phone just for this reason. Google family is an option, but the ease at which I can limit screen-time for my daughter’s phone and also weed out unwanted apps is quite unmatched.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2020, 19:46   #115
SRM
BHPian

Been an iOS user since last many years. And looks like will be with them for many more years.

Reasons:
1. The secure ecosystem and the entire setup of seamless transition between multiple/new iOS devices. Yes, the initial setup demands time from you if you want to be organised, but it's a one time effort and you can bear the fruits for a long long time
2. The reliability of the products, its build and quality is top-notch. The entire experience of using an Apple product can be felt as an upgrade instantly. Basically it's you getting tired of them and moving to the next generations. Otherwise they'll keep running fine for as long as you want
3. Security wise, I am assured of no virus attacks and hence no data loss

I use my iOS devices for atleast 4-5 years before moving to a new one, and yet to see any issues. Even after those 4-5 years of usage, you get amazing resale value. Hope it stays that way in years to come!
Old 13th August 2020, 19:58   #116
Distinguished - BHPian

iOS - a no brainer. Entered the smartphone era with the original Galaxy S. Bought an iPad about a year later. And that was it. iOS worked so much better than Android that I turned into a convert.

Further, I also think iOS with its locked down ecosystem is much more secure than Android - look at how Tiktok managed to bypass Android’s protections to transfer MAC ids to be used for advertising (and God knows what else). Am now on my 4th iPhone - started with an iPhone 5 followed by the 6, 7 and now the 11. My wife is on her 5th iPhone - she started with the iPhone 4, then went along with me till she went in for the iPhone 11 Pro vs the plain old 11 I bought. Have also had several iPads across the family, the iPad 1, iPad 2, iPad 4, iPad Mini, iPad Mini 2 and the 2017 iPad Pro. We have also plonked on other accessories - Air Pods, an Apple Watch etc.

Just realised I could have bought a house with the amount I have paid Apple in the last decade - but guess that is why it is a USD 2 trillion company.
Hayek is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th August 2020, 22:09   #117

I think I can answer this objectively since I use IOS for my Work phone and Android for my personal use.
From the points you mentioned I would say an Android would work better for Smartphone Photography and Videography - Apple can't compare to the New Pixels/Samsung when it comes to the adjustments you can do in settings.
However, for fitness purposes the Apple Iwatch seems to be the top of the cream at the moment though Google Wear OS and FIT are good but the closed ecosystem of Apple provides more finesse. Iwatch as I mentioned is at the top currently but this will change shortly with Google's acquisition of Fossil for Smartwatches.

Apart from these you really need to consider how you want to use your phone do you expect to be locked down to an OS which is pretty restrictive in terms of media & how you use it or would you want the ease of use of plugging in a pen drive to your device to transer stuff or store songs (I still do this due to sketchy internet issues) etc. For me it would be Andorid over IOS.
Old 13th August 2020, 22:21   #118
BHPian

Voted for the "either" option. Both have their pros and cons and at the end of the day it boils down to 'what can you afford at a given point in time?'.
Of late though Apple has been accused of being anti-competitive by not allowing apps like Microsoft's X-Cloud game streaming service in the App Store. Apparently Apple wants no competition to its own gaming platform the Apple Arcade. Not a nice colour.
Old 13th August 2020, 22:25   #119
BHPian

My pick would be the Android. Android phones offer more cutomisability and functionality than an iOS. You don't like a feature, go to the playstore and find a replacement. You don't like the stock interface, put up a Nova launcher icon pack and you are good to go. You don't like the phone, just change the goddamn phone itself.(Android phones are cheap!)
Not a single manufacturer is perfect, they are more focused on a particular aspect of the phone just like in the automotive industry. For ex, Google is damn good at cameras and software and hardware recently, Oneplus is good at speed and performance, Samsung is good at the reliabilty while Nokia is good at software and durability.
chiefpk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2020, 22:30   #120
BHPian

Android gives lot of features and lot of freedom but this comes at the cost of issues and let downs.

Ios is a walled garden with less freedom but minimal issues.

Eg using iphone for last 4 years and phone must have got stuck probably once every 6 months. But then again i cant pick any song for ringtone.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks