View Poll Results: Your choice?
Mac 153 42.50%
PC 193 53.61%
Other (please specify in your post) 14 3.89%
Voters: 360. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2020, 17:33   #91
BHPian

Re: Mac vs PC : Which do you prefer and why?

I'd have voted for Windows two years back, but with every update they try to make the OS smarter and by smarter I mean constantly second guessing what I am trying to do. Whatever happened to WYSIWYG philosophy? You go to any Microsoft forum and it is littered with "how do I disable ...". You will find someone post a solution and two years later someone else post a response that the solution no longer works. In other words Microsoft just made it harder to disable what they call a feature and what the users deem as a pest!
Mac, of course, is the granddaddy of the above shady scheme.
These days I don't use any software other than what my employer asks me to. I almost exclusively use google chrome for everything else accessed from 3 laptops, an iPad and 3 android phones.

Last edited by GTO : 18th September 2020 at 20:21. Reason: No inappropriate language please
sramanat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2020, 18:02   #92
BHPian

Been a Windows guy for all my life. The massive ecosystem wherein anything runs on Windows, is a plus point. Fortunate enough that all my PCs & laptops have lasted for a min 6-8 yrs.
If you're a gamer, then Windows is a no brainer.
Light general usage, internet + ocassional movie? Windows again. Why spend north of 50 grand if a web browser is your most used application?
It is only in the content creation media industry that Mac dominates, so if that's your thing, Mac's your bling.
superbad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2020, 20:43   #93
BHPian

I use Windows for personal use, and a MBP for work.

I like this setup because most Windows laptops are customizable and/or easier to repair. A lot of features are built-into the OS where you'd pay $$ for a third-party app on MacOS. Windows Explorer is significantly better than Finder. And with windows laptops, I feel like I own my hardware, whereas a Mac feels like I leased it until the day it dies, as I can do nothing about it but buy another one.

I've been using a Mac for work and it makes more sense mainly because of the built-in terminal. The touchpad on Mac laptops are second to none, and this bumps up my productivity when working directly on the laptop. And I also love Apple hardware, because of the attention to detail.
hellmet is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2020, 21:33   #94
BHPian

I have been a die hard Windows user and used to scorn Macs as overpriced luxuries and could never get its USP. Then last year I realized as a network engineer I should be OS agnostic and after familiarizing myself with Linux thought of buying a Macbook. The final call was my company implementing tighter security on work laptop and I bought a Macbook Pro 13".

I have been using the MBP for 9 months now and I cant even think of going back to Windows. I would much rather RDP into my Windows Laptop from my MAC and do the work than actually touching the Dell Windows Laptop.

Constant updates are definitely a good thing, but the extremely terrible Storage management is not. Every time Apple releases a MacOS Upgrade panic sets in as I try to free up space to make sure Upgrades actually run.

For a traditional laptop user who likes to work with offline files and folders MBP has forced me to be more Cloud efficient leveraging Google Drive, iCloud and OneDrive for my storage.

Apart from storage issues I have to say MacBook Pro has proven itself to be the Toyota Innova of laptops for me. Overpriced, for sure, but worth it in the long run. 9 months and I have yet to face an equivalent of BSOD and that in itself takes the cake!
king of cochin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2020, 23:36   #95
BHPian

For my entire professional life, it has been Windows all along. Be it work or personal and it has been more driven by consistency. On the mobile side, I started off with a Blackberry, moving to Android and now Apple - and I can see the difference, in a positive way. But for a computing platform, Windows is serving my purpose and I see no reason (even if that's better) to move to the Mac platform.
mmxylorider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2020, 23:55   #96

Here are my thoughts

MAC: Best for handling music and video reproduction, editing, and related digital and design works. It's more towards look and feel factor. Four your information, on my personal MAC Book Pro, I have Win 7 Pro running with a Dual Boot Operating System option. When we are in a jolly mood, we pick MAC OS and for specific application work, we shift to Windows 7 Professional. Works fine.

Windows: This has got the best and most compatible options with the functional world and from many years because of its customer-friendly GUI interface. This has reached most of the user base and still continuing.

Linux: Initially you may experience some difficulties, but once you start using Linux you will LOVE it. Believe me, have a try! With versions like Ubuntu (end-user usage, actually it has got many flavors) or Red Hat (more for the server type and Professional operations). It is a robust, much improved GUI, freeware (to my knowledge we can almost save 5k to 6k when buying a new system with DOS/Linux as an OS option) and has fewer chances of being prone to virus, and other impacts. Also, it is getting towards ease of compatibility with application areas as well.

Technically, if MAC Book is a good performer because of its hardware, Windows OS also should run like a Ferrari or Mustang. But we don't find much difference between MAC Book and equal hardware configuration Windows machines.

So, my vote is for a good hardware configuration PC running Linux OS, which needs to be maintained with a regular cleanup (I mean at the application level and memory leaks etc.).

Selection options in terms of processor, RAM, chipset, matching BUS speed, hard disk drive RPM (if possible, go for SSD) makes difference. I saw many home usage laptop models are with only 5400 RPM HDDs as default, which kills response times. So, always look for at least 7200 RPM. Pick a 9-cell battery option for a good backup.

Considering the ease of carrying and handling, 14" screen size or less is my all-time preference. If we need a bigger display, we can go for an external monitor or display unit (TV) connectivity.

Hope this Helps.

I am unable to vote, maybe being a newbie. Never mind.

Last edited by Aditya : 19th September 2020 at 18:52. Reason: Grammar, punctuation
Rālugāyi is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 19th September 2020, 18:00   #97
BHPian

Having used computers with all three major operating systems for long periods of time, Macs have become my preferred devices.

There are two main reasons why I prefer them over the others:
1. Longevity and Durability: I have a 2011 MacBook Pro and a 2019 MacBook Pro at home, and for most tasks the older one works just as well. In fact, my sister uses a 2008 MacBook Pro and it is serving her well. Most Windows laptops begin to slow down considerably after 3-4 years. I must add that once can give a new life to old Windows laptops by installing a variant of Linux (Mint or Lubuntu) and they work superbly, though requiring the

2. Usability: This may be subjective, but MacOS feels better from a usability perspective. The shortcuts are more intuitive and the Mac trackpad is a joy to use. In fact the trackpad alone could go as one of the points to prefer Macs.
mpthy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2020, 10:22   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Been a Windows user for 2 decades & am getting tired of the unreliability, bugs, software headaches, lack of stability, sleep & standby issues etc. Of the last 4 Windows computers I have owned, 3 have been troublesome.

I wish there was a "Toyota Innova" of Windows laptops as the default choice. I now also realise why "Maruti" is the default choice for lakhs of Indians. They just want something that is dependable & works.

I am buying a new Macbook Pro very soon. Hopefully, it brings better uptime & reliability (related thread).
Hi GTO,
There is a "Toyota Innova" of normal laptops. Its called a ThinkPad. It was originally an IBM brand and is now owned by Lenovo. Just get a T14 (their bread and butter model) and it will easily last a decade. As an added advantage, you will get one of the best typing experiences available in a laptop. My household is virtually full of these. We have three 2013 models (an E430 and two W530s) and a 2014 L440. We are still using them as daily drivers and never felt a need to upgrade.

The "consumer" laptops (Dell Inspiron, Vostro; HP Pavillion, Envy; Lenovo Ideapad etc.) are built to a cost and are bound to fail. If you are getting a MacBook Pro, it is totally fine, but do checkout a ThinkPad.

Last edited by karuvally : 20th September 2020 at 10:30. Reason: Added info
karuvally is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th September 2020, 10:38   #99
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karuvally View Post
Hi GTO,
There is a "Toyota Innova" of normal laptops. Its called a ThinkPad. It was originally an IBM brand and is now owned by Lenovo. Just get a T14 (their bread and butter model) and it will easily last a decade. As an added advantage, you will get one of the best typing experiences available in a laptop. My household is virtually full of these. We have three 2013 models (an E430 and two W530s) and a 2014 L440. We are still using them as daily drivers and never felt a need to upgrade.

The "consumer" laptops (Dell Inspiron, Vostro; HP Pavillion, Envy; Lenovo Ideapad etc.) are built to a cost and are bound to fail. If you are getting a MacBook Pro, it is totally fine, but do checkout a ThinkPad.
I had a thinkpad, the original pre lenovo model back in 2001-2006. Heavy, industrial, archaic. It reminds me of the old jeeps i used to drive. That mid keyboard thumb pointer thing was almost as difficult to operate as my 4*4 gearbox

Dont get me wrong, i love old jeeps, but not in the form of a laptop.

I since switched to a mac in 2008/9, and there has been no looking back. I cringe when i see a windows machine. My entire family has since followed me into the mac ecosystem.

Windows or mac? Its a no contest mac all the time.

Au contraire, i suggest you go out and get a feel of the new macs without prejudice. You just might come home with one.
Red Liner is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th September 2020, 13:22   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
I had a thinkpad, the original pre lenovo model back in 2001-2006. Heavy, industrial, archaic. It reminds me of the old jeeps i used to drive. That mid keyboard thumb pointer thing was almost as difficult to operate as my 4*4 gearbox

Dont get me wrong, i love old jeeps, but not in the form of a laptop.

I since switched to a mac in 2008/9, and there has been no looking back. I cringe when i see a windows machine. My entire family has since followed me into the mac ecosystem.

Windows or mac? Its a no contest mac all the time.

Au contraire, i suggest you go out and get a feel of the new macs without prejudice. You just might come home with one.
Hi Red Liner,
I get you But the newer ones are very sleek compared to the mid 2000's models. The red nub, called Trackpoint is a love or hate thing. Lots of ThinkPad users see it as a boon (including me), but there is a considerable number of people, who find it hard to use it.

I had considered a Macbook Air back in 2014, when I went shopping for my last laptop. But then, it dawned upon me that I was going to exclusively run Linux on my machine and was going to torture it (Virtualization, Emulation and what-not). Also, typing comfort is a huge concern for me, as I spend lots of time in the shell and programming. Thus went for the ThinkPad.
karuvally is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st September 2020, 00:49   #101
BHPian

Voted: PC

Granted that Macs can be cheaper to own and use over time, they do have snob value here. But PCs have caught up with that "premium" experience and seem to be better overall now.

I see some misconceptions about 2020 PC "flagships" in the comments and let me address them. Only Dell (XPS), HP (Spectre) and Microsoft (Surface Pro) make true flagship PC products today IMO - I'm talking about build quality and the materials used, not specs. Sony, Lenovo et all quit the game a long time ago. When we were shopping PCs around a year or 2 back, I got myself the 2-in-1 Dell XPS 13 - top spec with that fantastic 4k touchscreen for about 1.75 lacs, and wifey's similarly specced HP Spectre cost around the same. The MacBook Pro was bulkier and heavier than these two and cost much less, but did not even offer a touchscreen. The Surface Pro had some niggles. Our pick was PC.

Coming from a MBP myself, I find that my XPS does everything better and more. Faster, battery life ~9 hours, Win10 Pro, turns on in milliseconds, fingerprint works instantly, multi-touch, multi-desktop, the works. Windows doesn't have good built-in apps for ex photo/video gallery and I'm still having trouble find a good one. It is reasonably safe, if you don't deliberately invite malware into your PC, lol. I guess it all comes down to personal preference these days.
hortons15 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2020, 09:45   #102
BHPian

Critical update: Mac books with the new M1 chips are gamechanging.

Mac Book pro is now more value for money than most other laptop in the market.

Old 26th November 2020, 12:14   #103
BHPian

Voted Mac.

I've been using a laptop running Linux since 1998. Laptops were employer provider, so the price was never a issue. In 2010 I quit my job and went the freelance way and the need for a laptop that provider all day battery life was pressing. Added to this was the need for the laptop to be as light as possible as I had a few shoulder problems to contend with as well.

In 2014 I started the search for a laptop that was < 1.5 Kgs in weight, gave about 8 hrs battery backup and gave me a Unix compatible terminal to work with. At 2014 prices the Lenovo Thinkpad X1 carbon (with additional battery, running Linux) and Macbook Air were the only options available that fit the bill, and off the two, the Macbook Air was significantly better priced. The fact that I did not have to constantly twiddle with the Linux desktop anymore was a added bonus.

I am presently on my second Macbook air (2017 model, purchased 2018) and had just started thinking about moving back to a non Mac laptop for my next device sometime in 2021-22 Non Macbooks were now offering about 7-8hr backup and 1.2 kg weight at very decent prices (Acer Swift 5 was the target laptop) when along comes the Macbook M1.

Again, to get the claimed 10-12 hr backup that most reviews claim the Macbook air M1 gives, I will have to spend appreciably more on a alternate brand. So, in all likelihood, it looks I will stay with the Macbook for my next machine too.
ashenoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2020, 12:23   #104
BHPian

Voted for PC.

I have a dual boot system with windows 10 and Linux. The Linux distro changes frequently as I am a distro hopper, currently on Manjaro. Never used a Mac, it is just too expensive and doesn't justify the cost as per my usage.
Akash.D is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 12:06   #105
Distinguished - BHPian

Like most users, I too thought that computer and Microsoft were 2 sides of the same coin. Most of my school and college life, I used basic entry-level windows machines and they served me quite well. The only issue I faced was with the battery which after 3 -4 years of usage lost its juice and this I happily used to change with a cheap aftermarket battery.

In 2016 I bought a MacBook Pro and for the last 4 years have been using it. As many have said above, the one best thing is its ultrafast boot time and I do not recall the last time I shut it down. But it has also its fair share of problems. My laptop's battery went bad in 3 years even though the charge cycle was still around 500 which is the halfway mark. The replacement battery costed a bomb. Soon after that, the left speaker went bad. Apart from these hardware issues, adapting to Mac OS needs some active learning sessions. Even after 4 years, there are so many basic functions that I still do not know how to perform or if they do not exist. One of the most annoying things is that if you open a picture from a folder and then want to scroll to the other pictures in that folder, it simply doesn't let you do it. This is something very basic and I fail to understand why after so many years also they haven't resolved this. Then there are small things like you can't cut and paste files. Rather you can only copy them to the destination folder and then delete them from the download folder. Or the way you install a program is extremely confusing. I agree that some of these issues are because I am used to the windows platform at a spinal level now and expect similar functionality across all OS.

Anyway what I have decided is that it is unfair for me to compare a MacBook with my previous windows laptops as they cost me 1/4th of this machine. So my next purchase is going to be a high-end Windows machine, possibly a Surface laptop, and then see how that fares to a Mac.
drmohitg is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed