Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2020, 23:09   #16
BHPian

Re: 2017 Surface Pro : An Expensive Mistake

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkv_2401 View Post
The SP6 and SP7(IIRC) models with an i5 don't have an internal fan, whereas the i7 models do. This makes a pretty big difference in performance, and I think my SP6(i7, 512GB, 16GB RAM) is faster than even my desktop i5 with an SSD and comparable RAM. I agree with your observation on and think there could be a difference in SSD speeds based on size as well, because of how much DRAM cache(separate from system RAM) is on an SSD of varying size - a 256GB SSD would have/need 2x the DRAM cache of a 128GB one and similarly a 512GB one would have roughly 2x the amount of a 256GB one. Considering all these little changes + improvements in the iGPU across i3/i5 to i7, it makes sense to spec up and spend a bit more for the most powerful variant of these tablets. Whereas in a traditional laptop I may not necessarily do so because they'd have the same thermal solution across most models, and it's cheaper and easier to upgrade SSDs/RAM from 3rd party alternatives.
In my scenaraio, I have a Dell Precision as my workhorse for all the serious work and SP purchase was more of a novel 2 in 1 and let's experience that lightness. Man, it was too costly at the end! Tablet + Keyboard+Pen+Mouse+protective sleeve! I do not remember how much it costed in total, but it could be around a lakh or just a little less than that, I guess.

For this price, frankly, it does not really do much, compared to a traditional laptop. I can not use this in my lap is one big issue, I found often annoyed with. But around 700 grams for an i5 laptop, this is something phenomenal to think of. So, I do not mind for that one reason alone. In my office almost all the managers are holding one as it is easy to carry around for the meetings, and it is a Windows laptop with full functionality not like ipad pro where I mostly can only check emails and watch videos. Considering that absurd pricing for the keyboard for a tablet, this seems a proper professional offering. I just wish the hinge becomes better to use in lap and other than that, it works well. Btw, I do not want to have i7 in SP, as I might loose more battery with that and it may not even perform like a proper i7 laptop added with the fan noise.

Last edited by sgmuser : 22nd September 2020 at 23:11.
sgmuser is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2020, 23:18   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejus.s View Post
Thank you for sharing your thoughts! My two cents on what you have mentioned -

1. I have never run into any performance issues for my workflow. The Core i5 works well for daily tasks and I have mentioned this in my initial notes well. Benchmarks may point to boost in performance, but they may translate to marginal gains for my workflow. The 10th gen processors bring instant on and faster authentication, which are bigger gains for someone like me.

2. I was not aware of the SSD speeds being different across different SKUs. My research on laptops going forward will include this point - thank you! By business model, do you mean you bought it as an Enterprise purchase?

3. Agreed on Surface Pen and One Note experience - it's very tightly integrated. Whole heartedly recommend the combo to existing/potential Surface Pro customers.
Regarding business edition, in MS USA store, they had an option to configure SP and few other laptops for Business use and I had the config available in amazon.ae (UAE) as well. If you dig a bit in google you will be able to find the SP6 came with two i5 processors with slightly differing CPUs and clock speeds. I bought the better one and it had slight performance gain with the review in notebookcheck.net. Yeah, I really spend lots of time reading reviews before the purchase. Strangely, SP7 did not have that variation, when I purchased that.

In one review, 128 GB 8GB model had a terrible data transfer speed compared to the 256 GB 8GB model. You can google and find it. This is with SP6 and I can confidently say that MS would not have fixed it in the SP7 as well. The reviewers pointed to the SSD performance (Toshiba, if I am not wrong) was bad.
Old 23rd September 2020, 11:13   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmuser View Post
In my scenaraio, I have a Dell Precision as my workhorse for all the serious work and SP purchase was more of a novel 2 in 1 and let's experience that lightness. Man, it was too costly at the end! Tablet + Keyboard+Pen+Mouse+protective sleeve! I do not remember how much it costed in total, but it could be around a lakh or just a little less than that, I guess.

For this price, frankly, it does not really do much, compared to a traditional laptop. I can not use this in my lap is one big issue, I found often annoyed with. But around 700 grams for an i5 laptop, this is something phenomenal to think of. So, I do not mind for that one reason alone.
I agree on the price and supposed 'investments' you need to make the device more meaningful. You are right, the Surface Pro is much more versatile than an iPad Pro.

Back to pricing - the new way of computing is turning out to be much more expensive (touchscreen, keyboard, stylus/pen) than traditional laptops we are used to. Then again, laptops have become less expensive over time, so I'll give these hybrid devices at least another 5 years to become more affordable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmuser View Post
Regarding business edition, in MS USA store, they had an option to configure SP and few other laptops for Business use and I had the config available in amazon.ae (UAE) as well. If you dig a bit in google you will be able to find the SP6 came with two i5 processors with slightly differing CPUs and clock speeds.
That's news to me. I don't think MS has so many SKUs in India nor is there an option for individual users to buy Business edition of the device. Offline stores like Croma and Reliance Digital have very limited options to choose from.
tejus.s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2020, 11:44   #19
BHPian

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Dell-L....435546.0.html

The review covers the SSD and other performance issues related to Surface Pro vs for e.g. Dell Latitude 7200.
sgmuser is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks